PDA

View Full Version : I need good thoughts

Sensible Shoes
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
After 3 years out of work, I finally have an interview on Tuesday for a position at a University of Massachusetts public radio station that is a perfect fit. I am prepping six ways to Sunday with "100 answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" and visiting the station's website and streaming audio. It's a state job, the salary is awesome and the benefits are to die for. If I end up being THE candidate they really want, I could end up making more than I was in Buffalo.

Any ideas, support or novenas would be greatly appreciated.

SNIPER
05-26-2012, 10:55 PM
They might drug test.

DONNIEP
05-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Well, all I can offer is my support. I wish you the best, I'll have my fingers crossed and I hope you get the gig!!! Be sure to update us on Tuesday so we know how the interview went!!! :thumb:

Sensible Shoes
05-26-2012, 11:00 PM
They might drug test.

LMAO. LIke that's a problem?

Sensible Shoes
05-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Well, all I can offer is my support. I wish you the best, I'll have my fingers crossed and I hope you get the gig!!! Be sure to update us on Tuesday so we know how the interview went!!! :thumb:

I will. thank you!

ashstralia
05-26-2012, 11:16 PM
all the best shoes!

think positive, you'll kill the interview.

ELVIS
05-26-2012, 11:37 PM
The state is not gonna take care of you for life...

Even if you get the job and it might be great, you need to be constantly prepared to adapt, fend and take care of yourself...

Sent from my iPhone, bitches!

jhale667
05-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Best of luck! :baaa:

fifth element
05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
all the best! Hope you get the job of your dreams!

vandeleur
05-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Fingers xd

tommyv
05-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Blow the interviewer.

Dave's Bitch
05-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Sounds like an awesome gig.Knock em dead Shoes:bigwink:

SunisinuS
05-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Practice Practice Practice just to get to Carnegie!

:baaa:

Momshell
05-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Best of luck Shoes - you've got all of us here rooting for you!! :cheer::cheer:

Angel
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Even if you get the job and it might be great, you need to be constantly prepared to adapt, fend and take care of yourself...

Yeah, like she doesn't have that figured out after all she's been through...

GO SHOES!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

twonabomber
05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Blow the interviewer.

at least show him tits.

loucap81
05-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Best of luck. Maybe I'll be able to provide the novena for you ;)

Sensible Shoes
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Why do you always have to be such a dick?

Angel
05-27-2012, 11:36 AM

I have a new term for him:

He's a cunty bitch...or is that a bitchy cunt??? Not sure, but either way, karma's gonna be a fucking bitch...

jhale667
05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
"ELBOW the cunty bitch" does have a certain ring to it... :lmao:

:guitar:

DONNIEP
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a new term for him:

He's a cunty bitch...or is that a bitchy cunt??? Not sure, but either way, karma's gonna be a fucking bitch...

I do so love a woman that uses the word cunt :)

Nickdfresh
05-27-2012, 12:33 PM

He is what he eats...

You'll nail it. Be prepared, but don't over think and let your personality through...

SNIPER
05-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Is Elvis 42 yet? :biggrin: If so, go to the bathroom. :toilet-humor::boom:

sadaist
05-27-2012, 01:23 PM
I am prepping six ways to Sunday with "100 answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" and visiting the station's website and streaming audio. .

1 - it's great that you are studying about the company before the interview. Knowing their recent promotions & happenings will really put you above others that were interviewd.

2 - it's great you are preparing for the tough questions, but DO NOT be robotic in your answers. My best interviews were always where we ended the meeting very laid back. If you get an opening throw in something real to show you are human and that's what they will remember when making a choice.

Example:

I was interviewed by 2 women at the same time. Towards the end one mentioned to the other about her water taxes at home. So I was able to toss in something about having a broken sprinkler once and how it screwed up my monthly bill. Well from there the 3 of us just started having a normal conversation about a few things like that. Just like 3 people sitting in a bar or typing in a forum. Dig what I'm saying here Shoes?

When they think back to the 10 interviews they did you stand out because you were the one that felt like real people and someone they can stand talking to every day in the hallway.

Remember, the interviewers are nervous too a lot of the time. And they are normal people just like you & me. And they want to hire someone not only to do the job, but that they will enjoy working with every day.

Just my $0.02 from something that has worked for me. Just don't over do it and make it natural. Cause you are interviewing them too in a sense. To see if it's WHERE YOU WANT TO SPEND EVERY DAY.

Good luck! You got a humongous live action rowdy partying goes-to-11 forum all rooting for you!!!

ZahZoo
05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Given the prep work you've mentioned... clearly your on the right track and focused in the right places!!

They deserve someone great like you. Go in confident and prepared. Remember to breathe... You'll do great!!

Take a piece of confetti with you!!

SunisinuS
05-27-2012, 05:48 PM
1 - it's great that you are studying about the company before the interview. Knowing their recent promotions & happenings will really put you above others that were interviewd.

2 - it's great you are preparing for the tough questions, but DO NOT be robotic in your answers. My best interviews were always where we ended the meeting very laid back. If you get an opening throw in something real to show you are human and that's what they will remember when making a choice.

Example:

I was interviewed by 2 women at the same time. Towards the end one mentioned to the other about her water taxes at home. So I was able to toss in something about having a broken sprinkler once and how it screwed up my monthly bill. Well from there the 3 of us just started having a normal conversation about a few things like that. Just like 3 people sitting in a bar or typing in a forum. Dig what I'm saying here Shoes?

When they think back to the 10 interviews they did you stand out because you were the one that felt like real people and someone they can stand talking to every day in the hallway.

Remember, the interviewers are nervous too a lot of the time. And they are normal people just like you & me. And they want to hire someone not only to do the job, but that they will enjoy working with every day.

Just my $0.02 from something that has worked for me. Just don't over do it and make it natural. Cause you are interviewing them too in a sense. To see if it's WHERE YOU WANT TO SPEND EVERY DAY.

Good luck! You got a humongous live action rowdy partying goes-to-11 forum all rooting for you!!!

And relax and LISTEN. They look for that more than spewed answers.

twonabomber
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Take a piece of confetti with you!!

i forgot about the lucky confetti, but the old man made a good suggestion.

Light Em' Up!
05-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey my Van Halen sister! Wishing you the best of luck on your interview! Sending you tons of positive vibes! <3 Let us know how it goes...I'll be checking with you...
'

chefcraig
05-27-2012, 06:24 PM
All the best, Shoes. Think positively while not allowing your hopes and expectations to become unrealistic. Folks can over-sell themselves during an interview with confidence or even a palpable sense of desperation that can come across as extremely off-putting. Simply enough (as Dave Roth might say), "Stay Frosty."

SilvioDante
05-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I interviewed for a job over 18 years ago. Thought I had NO SHOT. Went all Costanza on them. Every instinct I had, I did the opposite. I didn't care. Never thought I'd get the job.

To this day, my boss says I was the best interview he ever had. Go into it with the attitude "I've got nothing to lose". You'll be fine.

Good luck.

Diamondjimi
05-27-2012, 06:40 PM

Show some leg and cleavage. :thumb:

(Oh, and btw, congrats) ;)

Nitro Express
05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
My advice is be honest and be yourself. It's good to hear you have done research on the job and have prepped yourself that way. Don't get caught up in all the stuff people tell you how to prepare for a job interview and all the hype. Research the job, know why you want it besides the pay and benefits. Know what you can offer and just go in relaxed, aware, and honest. If being yourself and honest doesn't get you the job you probably avoided a clash that would happen if you got it. You can always get a job but to have a career you have to know yourself and what you want out of your life. It's a deeper process. Too many people worry about jobs when they really should be concerned with the long-term focus of having a career and it's an on going process even when you have a current job. Know what you want and be prepared to do what you have to do to get it. Most people don't do that.

Nitro Express
05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I interviewed for a job over 18 years ago. Thought I had NO SHOT. Went all Costanza on them. Every instinct I had, I did the opposite. I didn't care. Never thought I'd get the job.

To this day, my boss says I was the best interview he ever had. Go into it with the attitude "I've got nothing to lose". You'll be fine.

Good luck.

It's very true. Think of yourself as the person doing the interviewing. Most people hate hiring including me. If you interview a lot you can spot the bullshit and the typical cliches. What we look for is the beef so to speak. The reality. A person who comes in feeling they have nothing to lose comes across as different than the kiss ass masses. It gets your attention and interest and you want to know more. You stand out.

lesfunk
05-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I have been fortunate enough to meet shoes in person and have found her to be an intelligent, attractive, competant and all around formidable person.
I have no doubt she will achieve her goal

Nitro Express
05-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I have been fortunate enough to meet shoes in person and have found her to be an intelligent, attractive, competant and all around formidable person.

If you are desirable someone will bite the bait. It might not be the fish you were trying to catch but others will be attracted and bite. All you can do is be yourself. You can't make the other party's decisions for them. All you can do is raise your flag and see who salutes it. The problem is most people don't even bother to make a flag let alone bother to raise it. Some are scared to show their flag at all. You can grab the bull by the horns or let the bull gore you. Most people choose to get gored by just sitting there complaining and doing nothing.

Seshmeister
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure competent spelled wrongly is the best part of that sentence, kind of cold unless you are writing a reference for her ;)

Anyhoo good luck Shoes I hope you get it and if you don't I'm sure the experience will help you get the next one.

fifth element
05-27-2012, 09:25 PM

he can't help being what he is....

oh yeah....a dick!

SunisinuS
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Go have a Tequila SunRIIIIISSSEEE after. And hug your children (my children hang below me) but you know what I mean. Then next....look for the next opportunity...they are out there.

:hail:

Sweet Irony
05-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Waiting for your update, Shoes! All the best!

vh rides again
05-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Good luck !

Roth And Roll

Grant
05-28-2012, 06:24 AM
You'll nail it. Be prepared, but don't over think and let your personality through...

I second this.

Go get 'em, girl! :baaa:

binnie
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Good luck!

The best advice I could give is don't over-rehearse. If you've done your homework it will show - don't try to remember scripted answers, just relax and be yourself.

loucap81
05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Not that I have this wealth of interviewing experience but I totally agree with everyone saying to just be yourself and talk to these people naturally as you would to anyone else. Approach it like a conversation at a dinner party (without being drunk of course ;) )

SparkieD
05-28-2012, 10:16 PM
With your expertise and sharp wit, not to mention a handful of red, white, and black confetti, you've got this thing nailed!

Sensible Shoes
05-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the confetti Sparkie.

As I've said elsewhere -
Hair dyed - check. New skirt, shirt, earrings and shoes - check. Questions to ask interviewer - check. Extra resumes - check. Recog mission to find correct parking lot - check.

Shots of tequila to go to sleep tonight - check.

jhale667
05-28-2012, 10:41 PM
:killer: You'll nail it.

Angel
05-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Go Shoes!!! Thinking of ya today!! Good luck!!

Von Halen
05-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Hey funkyles, are you sure that wasn't an imposter you met? :biggrin:

Shoes, GOOD LUCK!

You know you've got more than what it takes to get, and do, that job. Just convey that to them.

Sensible Shoes
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I think I nailed it - now comes the waiting. Some not so great news - it's a 3AM to noon shift. Guess I'm never going to have a regular 9-5 job. :D

PETE'S BROTHER
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
day drinking is fun... :gulp: ;)

sadaist
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I think I nailed it - now comes the waiting. Some not so great news - it's a 3AM to noon shift. Guess I'm never going to have a regular 9-5 job. :D

Look at the bright side:

No rush hour traffic jams
Off work early enough to still do stuff during the day
If you stop for a donut on the way to work it will be fresh from the oven
3 am start time = plenty of time to steal coworkers cool pens before they come in.

You will be wide awake at 9 am watching all the suckers drag their asses in to start their day.
When you leave at 12, everyone stuck there until 5pm will give you the stink eye. HAHA SUCKERS!!!

Sensible Shoes
05-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Oh I've done the 3Am thing before - and the midnight thing too. I'll live.

jhale667
05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh I've done the 3Am thing before - and the midnight thing too. I'll live.

Glad you're OK with it... the 6AM-3PM thing still gets to me and it's been a few years now...

DLR Bridge
05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Glad you're OK with it... the 6AM-3PM thing still gets to me and it's been a few years now...

Shit, those would be my dream hours. I leave the house at 6:45 AM and walk back through the door 12 hours later. Ahh commuting.

jhale667
05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Shit, those would be my dream hours. I leave the house at 6:45 AM and walk back through the door 12 hours later. Ahh commuting.

Oh, I've got one of those too...which is why I leave the house at 5:20...usually only ends up being 11 hours total though, I usually get home before 5PM.

Here's hoping the wait ends with good news, Shoes~! :D

lesfunk
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure competent spelled wrongly is the best part of that sentence, kind of cold unless you are writing a reference for her ;)

blow me :)

twonabomber
05-29-2012, 08:08 PM

morning drive!

we may quit the rotating and go to fixed shifts...i am heavily considering taking third. i'm tired of having to deal with the office idiots during the day.

Light Em' Up!
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Great news Shoes! I'm crossing my fingers for you gal! <3

Momshell
05-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Great news Shoes - keeping my fingers crossed!! At least your hours won't interfere with shows! Keep us posted!

Momshell
05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Great news Shoes! I'm crossing my fingers for you gal! <3

Holy crap ESP lady - just scrolled up and saw that I wrote exactly what you did - and it's not even a gig night. It's getting stronger! :)

Romeo Delight
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
After 3 years out of work, I finally have an interview on Tuesday for a position at a University of Massachusetts public radio station that is a perfect fit. I am prepping six ways to Sunday with "100 answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" and visiting the station's website and streaming audio. It's a state job, the salary is awesome and the benefits are to die for. If I end up being THE candidate they really want, I could end up making more than I was in Buffalo.

The best advice I can give you is be yourself. I know that sounds cliche, but in the long run, sometimes the best job is the one you never did get, even though at the time you wanted it.

Once you are true to yourself and work hard, that job will find you and you will be so much happier.

You think you know what the employer is looking for, but what if he was looking for you, and you were pretending to be someone else?

Light Em' Up!
05-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Holy crap ESP lady - just scrolled up and saw that I wrote exactly what you did - and it's not even a gig night. It's getting stronger! :)

Hmmmm....do you think these means something??? You are the shrink, right....tell me what this means....I need to know :-)

Seshmeister
05-29-2012, 10:03 PM
That and reading and paying attention to details like dates and stuff... :)

DONNIEP
05-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you Shoes!!! Although, sounds like the hours might interfere with your Roth Army time... :biggrin:

ZahZoo
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Well... how did it go?

ThrillsNSpills
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Steven Tyler is keeping his toes crossed for you Shoes.

Sensible Shoes
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
It went very well - I learned more about what they want and need and they found out that I could be a liberal if I tried. They were concerned that I had worked briefly for a Fox affiliate - which I tried to explain was not the same thing as Fox News. Once I said Local Television had gone to hell, they were right on board with me. They liked that we spoke pretty much the same technical language. My answer that I was not the least bit intimidated by a mic or a camera seemed to satisfy them that I had only done voicework briefly.

I have to say I'm kind of intimidated by the level of intelligence of the interviewers - manifested mostly in all the big words they like to use. It's probably not true, but the learning curve involved in turning myself into a morning drive host for "Morning Edition" is, to say the least, a bit daunting.

Re: Tyler - only his toes? :(

Momshell
05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
It went very well - I learned more about what they want and need and they found out that I could be a liberal if I tried. They were concerned that I had worked briefly for a Fox affiliate - which I tried to explain was not the same thing as Fox News. Once I said Local Television had gone to hell, they were right on board with me. They liked that we spoke pretty much the same technical language. My answer that I was not the least bit intimidated by a mic or a camera seemed to satisfy them that I had only done voicework briefly.

I have to say I'm kind of intimidated by the level of intelligence of the interviewers - manifested mostly in all the big words they like to use. It's probably not true, but the learning curve involved in turning myself into a morning drive host for "Morning Edition" is, to say the least, a bit daunting.

Re: Tyler - only his toes? :(

Hey - based on your posts (since we've never actually met...yet), you're no dummy yourself! If you got this far in the interview process, chances are you've got the credentials and the brains, and they just wanna make sure they'd like to have you around and that it's a good fit personality-wise. You'll kick ass on air - just pretend you're talking to all of us! :)

Light Em' Up!
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey - based on your posts (since we've never actually met...yet), you're no dummy yourself! If you got this far in the interview process, chances are you've got the credentials and the brains, and they just wanna make sure they'd like to have you around and that it's a good fit personality-wise. You'll kick ass on air - just pretend you're talking to all of us! :)

Exactly what she said! :clap:

Momshell
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Exactly what she said! :clap:

:biggrin:
No psychobabble needed here - very simple - great minds think alike!! :)

Sensible Shoes
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you everyone - it is so important to have you all weigh in. Kinda like family, unconditional love. Except Elbow.

Light Em' Up!
05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Thank you everyone - it is so important to have you all weigh in. Kinda like family, unconditional love. Except Elbow.

It's a Roth Army group hug for Shoes....:grouphug:

Hardrock69
05-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Firstly, Elvis? Shut the fuck up, loser.

Secondly, Congrats Shoes! I have all the confidence in the world that it will work out for ya!

I am in a similar situation.

Though I am sorta waiting for the right shift.

Found a job listing last week. Contacted the staffing agency. Job is electronics work. Pay is less than what I was making, but is a contract gig with possibility of direct hire after awhile.

Recruiter has to fill 5 positions still on 3rd shift. I told him I pretty much had to have 1st, and he is cool with that. Told me to just hang on until he is given the go-ahead to hire for first-shift positions, and we are communicating back and forth. If I absolutely need to start working NOW, I can always do third shift. I stay up every night until 6 AM anyway. But enough about my situation.

I am happy for ya.

GET DAT JOB, BABY! ;)

Seshmeister
05-31-2012, 04:24 AM
I think it's important to not get too down about job interviews if you don't get them because you don't always know what is going on with the other candidates. It may be just by your bad luck an amazing person has also applied or more often someone internal has been earmarked for the post and they are just going through the motions.

That one has happened to me once where I thought I had done really well and then in the afternoon they took all the applicants around the place and everywhere we went one guy was hailed like Norm in Cheers. 'Hey Dave how you doin' that was a hell of a night last Wednesday' kind of thing. Needless to say I never got it.

I'm not being negative here just sayin' keep your chin up if it's not to be.

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh and BTW...

Get a flu vaccine...

Drink high fructose corn poison...

Take Prozac and adderall...

Drink heavy...

Eat fast food six times daily...

Avoid exercise and sleep...

Sleep with the boss before you get fatter...

Smoke cigarettes...

Replace your brake fluid with water...

And add "positive attitude" to your signature...

Knock 'em dead, kid...

:biggrin:

ZahZoo
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Glad to hear it went well for you Shoes!! Hoping you get a call-back or better yet... an offer!!

jhale667
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Ignore him - ELBOW's just a miserable hack who shows up here to rip on others so he feels better about himself - being an unemployed trailerpark in the swamp-dweller on welfare and all. :hee:

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Why do you fucking have to lie so much ??

Is that a side effect of tacos and hair conditioner ??

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
You'll kick ass on air - just pretend you're talking to all of us! :)

Pretend you're talking to me and it might get funny and interesting...

But if you take the politically correct, play nice road, you'll end up as another here today, gone tomorrow talentless nobody and they'll never even remember your name...

You can thank me later...

Make that pay me later, because I can't write your material for free...

:elvis:

Sensible Shoes
05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
We don't talk to people like you on the air. We hang up on 'em.

~click~

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, good luck on your road to nowhere...

jhale667
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Why do you fucking have to keep telling everyone the truth about me??

It's because I'm a bitter, racist douche, isn't it??

SURE IS... :lmao:

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh, that's cutting edge cleverness right there...

jhale667
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh, that's cutting edge cleverness right there...

It's a gift. Truth hurts, huh?

chefcraig
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I take it I'm not the only one with an eye-spiltting hangover this morning, eh? The good news is I don't have to go in to work until 5PM. The bad news is I'm too nauseous to go back to bed, because it's like being on the open ocean in the midst of a tsunami. Man, I pity the poor slobs that come to me seeking "customer service" this evening. A Wednesday night with the Food Network, peanut butter crackers and cheap vodka. Just say no, kids.
:doh:

ELVIS
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
The bad news for me is that I'm lazy today and I have a 30 foot motor home sitting outside that won't fix itself...

ThrillsNSpills
05-31-2012, 11:46 AM
put on yer suspenders and hop to it Jethro

sadaist
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM
just pretend you're talking to all of us! :)

Oh God....I can see it now. Out of the blue she calls someone a sheepfucker and bans them from calling in again.

jhale667
05-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh God....I can see it now. Out of the blue she calls someone a sheepfucker and bans them from calling in again.

:lmao:

Angel
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
We don't talk to people like you on the air. We hang up on 'em.

~click~

:lmao: :biggrin:

Sensible Shoes
05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Now, now, I didn't say "dick".

Wait, maybe I should have - that's not politically correct.

Whorehey
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
I take it I'm not the only one with an eye-spiltting hangover this morning, eh? The good news is I don't have to go in to work until 5PM. The bad news is I'm too nauseous to go back to bed, because it's like being on the open ocean in the midst of a tsunami. Man, I pity the poor slobs that come to me seeking "customer service" this evening. A Wednesday night with the Food Network, peanut butter crackers and cheap vodka. Just say no, kids.
:doh:

Robert Irvine is my new favorite human being ;)

chefcraig
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Robert Irvine is my new favorite human being ;)

I don't see how it is humanely possible to completely renovate not only a restaurant, but it's staff as well in a mere 48 hours with a budget of $10,000. You also have to question how many of these places stay with Irvine's makeovers, let alone remain in business. For example, SPIKE tv's Bar Rescue has a surprising amount of places where the owners said to hell with the changes and went back to their old ways and habits.

sadaist
05-31-2012, 06:27 PM
On Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares they don't let the restaurant KEEP all the overnight changes. Something about "this is what you COULD do" if you spent the money. They take out all the changes or allow the restaurant to purchase them outright. Kinda lame and a bit of trickery on the viewer.

Whorehey
05-31-2012, 06:34 PM
He tore into an old lady a couple of weeks ago.
He's yelling "you're a hoarder and you need help!"
Some of these places he walks into are downright disgusting.

Sorry about steering this off-topic Shoes...

chefcraig
05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
On Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares they don't let the restaurant KEEP all the overnight changes. Something about "this is what you COULD do" if you spent the money. They take out all the changes or allow the restaurant to purchase them outright. Kinda lame and a bit of trickery on the viewer.

I am convinced that show is scripted and the staff are all paid actors. The episode featuring the sociopath-filled family of a joint called Burger Kitchen was totally unbelievable. Hell, they were more like the Manson family than anyone else.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/12/32b922df357b28b309ca9e280dcdfd9f.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1026097)

Even so, check out this list of closed restaurants formerly featured on Ramsay's show: What restaurants on "Kitchen Nightmares" have closed? (http://www.quora.com/What-restaurants-on-Kitchen-Nightmares-have-closed)

Seshmeister
05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah the Ramsay show is completely unbelievable. Same script every week, they pay customers to come in to create a rush.

If you look at reviews of the restaurant online afterwards 4/5 they have either closed or they are as bad as they were before he went in.

It's actually an offshoot of the original UK version which was much better, a lot less contrived and fake.

loucap81
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Shoes is there any timetable on when you'll hear back about this? Maybe go for a second interview?

Sensible Shoes
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
They said they wanted to wrap it up quickly - but that's on university time.

loucap81
06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Well I hope they at least give you a courtesy e-mail either way. I've applied for jobs before where they simply don't talk to you again if they've gone with someone else and I find it quite unprofessional.

Sensible Shoes
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah I hope so too. I'm being really positive about this one, I think it would be really weird if I didn't get a second interview.

gbranton
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Well I hope they at least give you a courtesy e-mail either way.

I will say that common courtesy is in short supply the days. I can't remember the last time I got a reacharound.

Nickdfresh
06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, good luck on your road to nowhere...

Why don't you go clean someone's toilet, you dick...

Sensible Shoes
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Just ignore Elvis. I'm not taking it to heart - and I'm not on a road to nowhere. Especially if that's any place he is.

Diamondjimi
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
The bad news for me is that I'm lazy today and I have a 30 foot motor home sitting outside that won't fix itself...

put on yer suspenders and hop to it Jethro

Sensible Shoes
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
The hardest part is the waiting.

Satan
06-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Or the waiting is the hardest part, for that matter.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbo2ryPq8OU

JenniferM
06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I hear ya' Sesh. Happened to me at my current job. Up for a promotion, most qualified, earned my stripes and then some, and they ended up promoting someone who had been with the company for 5 months. (I've been there 6 years). You just never know. But Shoes, you have the intelligence and the "charasma", so I think you're good to go. If they don't choose you, then that's their loss, totally. I am sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts......I got a good feeling about this!!

I think it's important to not get too down about job interviews if you don't get them because you don't always know what is going on with the other candidates. It may be just by your bad luck an amazing person has also applied or more often someone internal has been earmarked for the post and they are just going through the motions.

That one has happened to me once where I thought I had done really well and then in the afternoon they took all the applicants around the place and everywhere we went one guy was hailed like Norm in Cheers. 'Hey Dave how you doin' that was a hell of a night last Wednesday' kind of thing. Needless to say I never got it.

I'm not being negative here just sayin' keep your chin up if it's not to be.

gbranton
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Tom Petty agrees.

JenniferM
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM

I will say that common courtesy is in short supply the days. I can't remember the last time I got a reacharound.

Sensible Shoes
06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I didn't get it.

DLR Bridge
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Their loss.

vandeleur
06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
sorry to hear that shoes

Sensible Shoes
06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Elvis wins.

Zempi
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
No..they lost..

Elvis wins.

clarathecarrot
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Dang Shoes, ####... You will find a great job soon enough and the ones who don't hire you will never know what they are missing. They're loss.

I always recomend calling back two days past the interview, to put the presure on the employer to hire you, show your interest in .. not letting anyone else get the job ..this can backfire, but puts in understandable terms how much you are interested....and if the position is not right for you, they will let you know and you don't sit around for two weeks waiting for the call either way..better for you better for them.

Good luck in the future.

Zing!
06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't get it.

Chin up, Shoes. Put on your favorite Roth/VH album, have a glass (or two, or three) of wine and remember you have - for the most part - a platoon of Roth Army soldiers pulling for you.

Tomorrow's a new day, and as that Beatles' song goes, tomorrow never knows.

Who loves ya, baby?

Light Em' Up!
06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I didn't get it.

Oh sister, I'm so sorry....they lost out on a good employee...bummer for them. Keep your head up and I know something will come along...there must be something that was more meant for you coming your way, so look out!

ELVIS
06-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Elvis wins.

No, it just wasn't meant to be...

Fuck 'em...

Satan
06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
No, it just wasn't meant to be...

Fuck 'em...

...sideways with a dull pitchfork.

Sensible Shoes
06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
They hired somebody from inside - and all the interviews were just mandated by the FCC. They already knew who would get it.

jhale667
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Yep, their loss, Shoes...fuck 'em. Keep at it, though...don't get discouraged.

:guitar:

mohican
06-06-2012, 07:53 PM
They hired somebody from inside - and all the interviews were just mandated by the FCC. They already knew who would get it.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have been sent through the wild goose chase too, and have seen this kind of faux postings where I work. An employer has someone in the company for the position but has to go through the dance of posting the ad and conducting interviews. It's a waste of everyone's time and money. Now if I go to an interview, I would ask if they are interviewing anyone within the company. If they say 'yes' or volunteer that info, then I know I have zero chance.

loucap81
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow that's really shitty, and absolutely it's their loss. I feel pissed on your behalf really. But there's nothing you can do but push on and as someone else said everyone here is in your corner.

JenniferM
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
As I said previously, I have been there....same friggin' situation. It sucks, but it's like the old cliche says: "When one door closes, another one opens". If that's the type of company they are, you didn't need to be in that mess. Something better will come along.....still sending you positive thoughts.

twonabomber
06-07-2012, 07:17 AM
i think i'd be telling myself "i didn't want to get up that early anyways."

Sensible Shoes
06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

gbranton
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I know how discouraging this can be, but in the end they were the ones who missed out. Everything happens for a reason, so something better is coming your way. Just make sure you are ready when it arrives, or as Dave said "God guides us on our journey, but be careful with those feet".

Chant it like a mantra and there's nothin' you can't handle.

sadaist
06-07-2012, 01:50 PM

I hate that bullshit. I was going to apply at the indian casino and then I read their disclaimer on who gets priority when hiring & promotions.....

Chief MuckityMuck
family of Chief MuckityMuck
friends of Chief MuckityMuck
acquaintances of Chief MuckityMuck
follow above for any other Chief from any other tribe anywhere, then...
disabled
minorities
women
veterans
residents of Neptune
...then maybe a white guy.

Satan
06-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a government hiring process. By law they're mandated to announce the job opening and interview at least 5 people, but half the time the person they actually hire is the one they intended to in the first place. Or sometimes they just hire the person first, THEN put out the announcement, and get around the fake interviews, if they can call it an "emergency hire".

That's not how we do things here in Hell, of course. Jobs here are for eternity, so we take it a little more seriously.

ZahZoo
06-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Clearly their loss. Hang in there Shoes and keep after the search!!

There's a job out there that will fit right for you and company that hires you. Odds are this one you didn't get wasn't the right one to begin with...

Momshell
06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Sorry Shoes - that sucks. Fucked up that they get your hopes up and put you through all of that for nothing. I'm with all of the others here in your corner. Hopefully you'll be doing the victory dance soon.

TwoFoolsAMinute
06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I hate that bullshit. I was going to apply at the indian casino and then I read their disclaimer on who gets priority when hiring & promotions.....

Chief MuckityMuck
family of Chief MuckityMuck
friends of Chief MuckityMuck
acquaintances of Chief MuckityMuck
follow above for any other Chief from any other tribe anywhere, then...
disabled
minorities
women
veterans
residents of Neptune
...then maybe a white guy.

Yeah...I saw the same thing when looking at Bureau of Indian Affairs jobs yesterday.

gbranton
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah...I saw the same thing when looking at Bureau of Indian Affairs jobs yesterday.

Gotta keep the wampum on the reservation.