PDA

View Full Version : Did Michael Anthony play bass on every classic Van Halen song?

loucap81
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I know this has been talked about alot but I'd like a containment thread for it.

People have theorized that Ed played bass on some or all of Fair Warning but I've never read any article about it. Of course this was the same timeframe that Eddie was considering replacing him with Billy Sheehan. Or so I've read on the boards; I haven't seen an article on that either.

Can anyone shed light on this?

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm of the opinion that Ed played bass here and there throughout the years. Being proficient enough at stringed instruments, one could only imagine he might have layed down tracks to get the full effect of what he was working on and they just decided to keep it. Such is the case, in my opinion, with the demo for Act Like It Hurts. That sounds nothing like Mike's playing style or note selection. Ed plays bass closer to his actual guitar melody, the way many guitarists do. If I'm right, and that's just an Ed & Al jam session, one could only imagine how many songs came into fruition that way. I also feel that Ed is playing bass on Girl Gone Bad. I dunno, so many things just don't sound like Mike. Some proof would be nice though.

ELVIS
06-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Of course it's Michael Anthony...

All of the basic tracks on the six pack were recorded live in the studio by Edward, Alex and Michael...

Various guitar solo and rhythm overdubs were added later, as well as the vocal tracks...

ADKOT was recorded in much the same way...

Listen to the rehearsal tracks of Girl Gone Bad where the song repeatedly falls apart, probably due to the songs level of difficulty and Edward trying to get the right feel...

But it's clearly MA playing and it sounds nearly identical to the album version...

They always, ALWAYS recorded this way back in the day. Ed has stated as much, as has Anthony as well as Don Landee and Ted Templeman...

Assholes who strive to rewrite the history of Van Halen totally piss me off...

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I also feel that Ed is playing bass on Girl Gone Bad. I dunno, so many things just don't sound like Mike. Some proof would be nice though.

I feel you're a dumbass...

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Yay!! It's official!! You called me a name!! I feel my existence here has been validated!! Thank you so much for calling me a name for having an opinion. Aaahh this is the best day ever!!!!

ELVIS
06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Whenever I call someone a name an angel gets its wings...

chefcraig
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I dunno. On one hand, you have the admission by Billy Sheehan that he was approached by Ed and Dave to join the band sometime in 1980 or 1981. This, taken with Jeff Berlin saying he'd rehearsed with the group at David Lee Roth's home around the same time would seem to indicate a certain dissatisfaction with Anthony's playing.

Yet at the same time, the above doesn't necessarily prove that Anthony's parts were removed and/or replaced by EVH. I have my doubts about parts of Fair Warning, an album Ed has claimed to have tinkered with at night with Don Landee when Ted Templeman wasn't around. Again, he wasn't specific about just what it was he was doing, so to make a claim outright that he redid some bass parts holds no proof other than speculation.

The answer will have to wait until Mike Anthony writes his own book, but even then (given his belief that if "Hagar says something, it happened"), the man himself might not be the best barometer of the truth.

CROWBAR
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Of course he did. Conspiracy theorists have abounded by the droves around this for years without an ounce of proof. Mike's own brother, who was honest enough to say which songs he didn't play on when it came to VHIII, said he played on all previous Van Halen albums. Ed playing a bass would stick out like a sore thumb.

SNIPER
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Not all songs were recorded live. Some were finished before Mike or Dave even heard it. Jump, Panama, DDL. come to mind.

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm no conspiracy theorist. I absolutely love Mike's playing on demos, boots and studio albums from Gazzari's in '74 to WACF. From Fair Warning on, I simply wonder where that bass player went from time to time. I do recall him telling Jas Or(help me out here) in a guitar magazine that he wasn't happy with being told to play a certain way. This was around '82.

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Listen to the rehearsal tracks of Girl Gone Bad where the song repeatedly falls apart, probably due to the songs level of difficulty and Edward trying to get the right feel...

Interesting. I've never heard the rehearsal tracks you speak of. Can somebody post that? I do have the Quebec 1984 bootleg video and I can clearly tell Mike isn't playing near as flashy as what was on the record.

ELVIS
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Not all songs were recorded live. Some were finished before Mike or Dave even heard it. Jump, Panama, DDL. come to mind.

That's your imagination getting the better of you...

atlantakat
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Even back in the day, Ed resented that MA got songwriting credit when Ed came up with all the music. In interviews, Ed was already taking jabs at MA buying expensive Porsches without contributing much to the band's music. And both Sheehan and Berlin have confirmed that Ed was recruiting them to replace MA around FW.

Ironically, I don't think Ed would have been happy with complicated bass lines competing with his guitar. I remember him giving MA the ultimate backhanded compliment when he said something along the lines that he preferred MA (over someone like Cream-era Jack Bruce) for VH because MA "just plays bass."

Having said all that, I don't think Ed started playing the bass lines on the records until the Hagar years.

Over the past couple of months, I have been digging into the South American Diver Down boots (thanks Momshell!) and I was suprised how adventuresome MA was during those shows -- his lines were a lot busier and he was not just laying down single note grooves. While his solo always was the low point in a CVH show for me, I don't remember MA playing that freely at the concerts I saw in the US. I wonder if Ed more or less insisted that MA keep his lines simple as it turns out that MA had more chops than he got credit for while he was in VH.

CROWBAR
06-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Mike, quite simply, played what fit the music of Van Halen. It was all about EVH and you wouldn't want to overshadow him. Templeman knew what he had and showcased him. I personally am glad that the Sheehan thing never materialized, because then you would have a "lead style" bass player competing with Ed and it never would have worked. I think it would have sounded "too busy" and less stellar.

If you listen to Mike now (I know many won't because of you know who being in the same band) you can tell he has no constraints and definitely does have chops. To say he's a simple eighth note player is absurd.

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Assholes who strive to rewrite the history of Van Halen totally piss me off.

Yeah me too. Like that one time somebody tried to rewrite the bass playing credits to ADKOT before the cd even came out over a 9 page thread.

I know that took me all day, but this is a characteristically crazy Friday.

VHscraps
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
There's no telling, ultimately, unless Donn Landee or Ted Templeman come out and say it, but I think it was Mike Anthony on all that stuff.

Yeah, I agree, that when Ed was tinkering around in the studio after hours on the Fair Warning sessions it might have given him an opportunity to do some bass. The funky bass on 'Push Comes to Shove' - for some folks that probably sounds like un-Mike bass playing, but I do remember at the time Mike saying that Ed was getting him to listen to Percy Jones of Brand X, and saying 'try playing a bit like that for this tune'.

C'mon - MA had been a bass player for a long time by the time VH came to record the six-pack. He subordinated himself to the needs of the band. He's probably got way more chops than he was ever allowed to show in VH.

I've said it before and I say it again now - one of the first things we KNOW for sure that Ed played bass on was that Hagar solo album around 1986. For me, the guy was simply not a bass player on the evidence of that - the bass playing on that album stood out to me as a guitar player trying to play bass.

ELVIS
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah me too. Like that one time somebody tried to rewrite the bass playing credits to ADKOT before the cd even came out over a 9 page thread.

I know that took me all day, but this is a characteristically crazy Friday.

You can't blame me for not putting anything past Edward Van Heineken...

DLR Bridge
06-01-2012, 04:38 PM
You can't blame me for not putting anything past Edward Van Heineken...

Mmm hmm.

fourthcoming
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Whenever I call someone a name an angel gets its wings...

That explains why there are no wing-less angels.

fourthcoming
06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I dunno. On one hand, you have the admission by Billy Sheehan that he was approached by Ed and Dave to join the band sometime in 1980 or 1981.

I always enjoyed Mike's vocals, but damn....Sheehan would have been great with VH.

SNIPER
06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
That's your imagination getting the better of you...

I don't think so bro. I read this from an interview from the band. Don't forget there is NO bass in Jump anyway so that one is a given.

SNIPER
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
There's no telling, ultimately, unless Donn Landee or Ted Templeman come out and say it, but I think it was Mike Anthony on all that stuff.

Yeah, I agree, that when Ed was tinkering around in the studio after hours on the Fair Warning sessions it might have given him an opportunity to do some bass. The funky bass on 'Push Comes to Shove' - for some folks that probably sounds like un-Mike bass playing, but I do remember at the time Mike saying that Ed was getting him to listen to Percy Jones of Brand X, and saying 'try playing a bit like that for this tune'.

C'mon - MA had been a bass player for a long time by the time VH came to record the six-pack. He subordinated himself to the needs of the band. He's probably got way more chops than he was ever allowed to show in VH.

I've said it before and I say it again now - one of the first things we KNOW for sure that Ed played bass on was that Hagar solo album around 1986. For me, the guy was simply not a bass player on the evidence of that - the bass playing on that album stood out to me as a guitar player trying to play bass.

Agreed. However Dirty Movies sounds like the Hagar bass to me the most.

SNIPER
06-01-2012, 10:19 PM
The Van Hagar chapter in the Spam book does claim that Ed played a lot of the bass in the studio. But then again that guy is also a fucking two faced full of shit liar so it is hard to say.

Satan
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Which isn't always a bad thing in and of itself. Not necessarily on the Hagar album, but when it comes to folks like Geezer Butler, Ronnie Lane, John Entwistle, Ronnie Wood, etc. All guitarists who took a back seat to another guitar player and ended up playing something that might be called "lead bass" on occasion.

Problem is, when Eddie played bass behind Hagar, it was the polar opposite of this.... a crap guitarist with a bass player who was better than him.

Terry
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM

When I listen to parts of Fair Warning, some of it does sound a bit unlike anything Anthony had played on previous records...

However, when I listen to what Anthony is doing on those 3 Oakland 1981 live tracks (particularly on So This Is Love?), it's clear what was played on Fair Warning was easily within Anthony's capabilities.

I suppose the counter-claim would be that Eddie obviously went back and redubbed the bass tracks to the Oakland audio as well:drum:

Yount
06-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Do you think Sheehan would have helped VH avoid the late 80's fade into parody, and move towards the styles of ADKOT but obviously years earlier? The move could have pleased all members if you consider, but who knows about the personalities?

VHscraps
06-02-2012, 06:51 AM
When I listen to parts of Fair Warning, some of it does sound a bit unlike anything Anthony had played on previous records...

However, when I listen to what Anthony is doing on those 3 Oakland 1981 live tracks (particularly on So This Is Love?), it's clear what was played on Fair Warning was easily within Anthony's capabilities.

I suppose the counter-claim would be that Eddie obviously went back and redubbed the bass tracks to the Oakland audio as well:drum:

Agree on that.

On the albums, I can think of the bass on 'Romeo Delight' - when Ed hits the solo, listen to that right there. MA also takes off at the same time, and plays some hot shit right there.

I hate to admit it, but I saw some Chickensh!t in the studio video clip when the band, minus Hagar, were jamming / in rehearsal - it might have just been MA and the Chad the drummer dude. MA was definitely showing some chops on that.

I don't have a link ...

CROWBAR
06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I always enjoyed Mike's vocals, but damn....Sheehan would have been great with VH.

I don't. I saw Sheehan on the EEAS tour with Dave along with Steve Vai attempt VH songs and it just did not sound right. Understandably, it wasn't their music and they did what they could with it, and, as good of players as they both are, it came off phony. Sheehan's aggressiveness just couldn't fit in with EVH's style as well. I don't think Sheehan would have wanted to be "restrained" just to appease the Master. His creative differences with Dave during Skyscraper is evidence of that too. Dave had the final word and Sheehan bailed.

Agree

Absolutely it did. I've heard it too. It was Hagar's final obligation to then Geffen Records I think, and Ed stepped in and played bass to help out.

Do you think Sheehan would have helped VH avoid the late 80's fade into parody, and move towards the styles of ADKOT but obviously years earlier? The move could have pleased all members if you consider, but who knows about the personalities?

No

Romeo Delight
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I like Mike, but can you really say you liked his balls-in-a-vice screams that were part and parcel of every live show before 1981-82?

He may have been restrained in the studio, but Mike didn't seem to have any governor in the live show until later.

SNIPER
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I am glad Sheehan never got in. It would have not been the same FW DD and 84 as we know it. Plus I don't think he would have stayed long term and VH would have had many other bass players over the years. As I think Billy is more of a band hopper and likes to do many projects. Not to mention we would also not have EEAS as we know it as Dave most likely would have picked up another player. History would have been all fucked up. ..Just my 2 cents. But I have felt this way for a couple decades now. Boy I need to get a life. :biggrin:

Yount
06-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Ed doesn't sound like a bass player. You need fat greasy fingers for bass.

Nickdfresh
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Why? He wasn't that great playing CVH with EAS...

SNIPER
06-03-2012, 05:47 PM

What are you trying to say sir? :biggrin:

Yount
06-04-2012, 05:16 AM
What are you trying to say sir? :biggrin:

I bet even Flea always chooses to upsize, except he chows into heaps of drugs to even it out. Mikey would be a drinker and a pastry man. Perfectly suited. Not even Mikey cared whether he played bass on Eddie's records, as long as fudge was on room service everything's hunky dory.

ashstralia
06-04-2012, 05:28 AM
haha! yount vs sniper!!

you guys crack me up..:)

i'll go on record and say i reckon it is mikey on the 6 pack, 98% at least.

also think the reason the eeas band (and every other DLR solo band, for that matter) didn't play the =CVH= songs verbatim is because, well, why would they?? i'd want to bring something fresh and exciting to the music, change it up and re-interpret it for a new sound... which is exactly what they did.

$0.02

Nitro Express
06-04-2012, 05:55 AM

It wasn't until I started playing bass that I found the secret to playing the Mean Streets into. It's slap funk on a guitar. So Ed was using popping and slapping on a six string electrical guitar. That's all it is but you need strong hands and you need to be accurate to pull it off.

Seshmeister
06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
It wasn't until I started playing bass that I found the secret to playing the Mean Streets into. It's slap funk on a guitar. So Ed was using popping and slapping on a six string electrical guitar. That's all it is but you need strong hands and you need to be accurate to pull it off.

I don't think so, I don't think Ed even played on that.

ashstralia
06-04-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't Ed

yes you do. :biggrin:

Zing!
06-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Exactly. If you want to gauge Ed's ability on bass, you need only listen to Haggar's crap-fest or the Cherone debacle, if you have the stomach for either.

DLR Bridge
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Exactly. If you want to gauge Ed's ability on bass, you need only listen to Haggar's crap-fest or the Cherone debacle, if you have the stomach for either.

Yep. Where it is known for certain that he played bass on a VH recording is the shitty '04 Best of Both Worlds new songs. The aweful It's About Time is basically Ed doubling every single guitar part to the T. Same thing he did with Cherone VH's Without You. Booooorrrriinnnnggg.

chefcraig
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Same thing he did with Cherone VH's Without You. Booooorrrriinnnnggg.

I honestly can not decide what is the least painful to observe here. Is it (in no discernible order):

1. Alex Van Halen's neck brace
2. Gary Cherone's tuneless, off-key and Clorox gargled vocals
3. Edward Van Halen's dubious and somewhat questionable choice of clothes from the JC Penny's catalog
4. The astoundingly awkward difficulty that Michael Anthony is having playing EVH's bass parts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYhOegeQwRM&feature=related

vandeleur
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
That's awful .... That's the worst vh cover bandever ... It's like a bag of cats

DLR Bridge
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I honestly can not decide what is the least painful to observe here. Is it (in no discernible order):

3. Edward Van Halen's dubious and somewhat questionable choice of clothes from the JC Penny's catalog
4. The astoundingly awkward difficulty that Michael Anthony is having playing EVH's bass parts?

I'm gonna go with the off key Clorox gargled voice of Cherone for most painful of the 4 options. Sadly, I think I had that shirt Ed's sporting. I still feel sorry for the good people of Australia for being served this incarnation live.

jhale667
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Ouch. Painful knowing I'll never get that 6:15 of my life back... :(

Nitro Express
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
KISS came up with the Psyco Circus. Van Halen 3 came up with the Sucking Circus. Nice circus ring and clothes Eddie. Is that a coral snake hanging out of your guitar?

sadaist
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
KISS came up with the Psyco Circus. Van Halen 3 came up with the Sucking Circus. Nice circus ring and clothes Eddie. Is that a coral snake hanging out of your guitar?

That album jacket pissed me off. it was them all trying to show how much fun they were having as a band messing around & stuff. I didnt buy it for a second.

Zing!
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Yep. Where it is known for certain that he played bass on a VH recording is the shitty '04 Best of Both Worlds new songs. The aweful It's About Time is basically Ed doubling every single guitar part to the T. Same thing he did with Cherone VH's Without You. Booooorrrriinnnnggg.

Oh yeah, forgot about those three 'bonus' tracks.

Like the rest of the free world.

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I have been injecting my fingers with fat 3 times a day. After that I get two super size fries to wear as gloves for a couple hours before practice. I strive to be the best bass player ever. :lmao:

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna go with the off key Clorox gargled voice of Cherone for most painful of the 4 options. Sadly, I think I had that shirt Ed's sporting. I still feel sorry for the good people of Australia for being served this incarnation live.

OMG I remember seeing this live, I was so disturbed by the way Cheri was acting.

Nickdfresh
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks for posting that vid Chef. I needed a good, delightful bowel movement and that really helped fill the bill!

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM

How long can this go on? Not very long // Tell me what is wrong? ..You guys suck with Cheri and this album is LAME.

DLR Bridge
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
There must be some kind of way that we can make it right. (uh, no)

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for posting that vid Chef. I needed a good, delightful bowel movement and that really helped fill the bill!

Thats what I call some fire in the hole, :hee:

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
And then there was this. :sick0020::shiznit:

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Go easy on me here I won't be playing either album BUT. If I had a gun to my head I would rather ruff it through 5150. But that won't happen thank god.

gbranton
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I just watched those videos, I'd never seen them before and won't watch them again other than to demonstrate to my wife how far Van Halen had sunk. :fighting24:

I noticed the house lights are so dark you cannot see the crowd, I am thinking it is because they are just sitting there gobsmacked by how bad this is. Once or twice you do get a small glimpse of people down front and they are just standing there.

There is a pool ball painted on the floor, but I am afraid it was the wrong one. Tthe one I have in mind is about five balls higher and if you asked that ball if this music should have seen the light of day, the answer would come back "not on your fucking life".

sadaist
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
at least the background vocals are awesome!

/sarcasm

sadaist
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I did see this tour at the Del Mar Fair. THE FUCKING FAIR!! Van Halen? WTF!? We left 2/3 through. I remember walking to the car & hearing Panama. I was sad.

The high point of the night was the caramel apple I ate.

loucap81
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
at least the background vocals are awesome!

I never thought about this, but I wonder if he came up with those harmonies himself while they worked on songs in the studio, or if Dave or Ed wrote those too.

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I did see this tour at the Del Mar Fair. THE FUCKING FAIR!! Van Halen? WTF!? We left 2/3 through. I remember walking to the car & hearing Panama. I was sad.

The high point of the night was the caramel apple I ate.

That is a very sad tale, brother. Must have been a heartbreaker. :smoke2:

sadaist
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
That is a very sad tale, brother. Must have been a heartbreaker. :smoke2:

And worst part?

My girlfriend at the time just HAD to see "Van Halen". Despite my best efforts to explain this was not VH she got her way. So I bought 2 tickets from ticketmaster for I think $32.50 each. Due to really poor sales the day of the show at the fair? Tickets were $10 which included entrance to the fair AND Van Halen.

Fuck me!

SNIPER
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
And worst part?

My girlfriend at the time just HAD to see "Van Halen". Despite my best efforts to explain this was not VH she got her way. So I bought 2 tickets from ticketmaster for I think $32.50 each. Due to really poor sales the day of the show at the fair? Tickets were $10 which included entrance to the fair AND Van Halen.

Fuck me!

Holy shit!! So lame. I had a chance to see them in Vegas at The Hard Rock and I passed. I could not believe the small clubs and fairs they were doing. Thank god they did not do the follow up album.

NIN1211
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Holy shit!! So lame. I had a chance to see them in Vegas at The Hard Rock and I passed. I could not believe the small clubs and fairs they were doing. Thank god they did not do the follow up album.

yep...I witnessed this mess in Chicago. Shit u could walk up to the stage...must have been 4,000 or so people there. Still better than Spam Halen IMHO.

Zing!
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Tickets were $10 which included entrance to the fair AND Van Halen.

http://blogs.forrester.com/f/b/users/SSANTUCCI/PuppetShowAndSpinalTap01.jpg

chefcraig
06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
That album jacket pissed me off. it was them all trying to show how much fun they were having as a band messing around & stuff. I didnt buy it for a second.

The best part of the CD's tray liner is the fact the band photo appears to include a guy other than Michael Anthony. And people were pissed a few years later when the guy was airbrushed off of a couple album covers at the VH site.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/99/49466ea6af4b1a83357e4c659d397cf3.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1028704)

DONNIEP
06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
And this was the version of Van Halen that Ed tried to tell us was the best...

Terry
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I gotta tell you, despite his rather fey gyrations onstage with the band, I actually felt kinda embarrassed for Cherone.

Realistically, he couldn't turn down the offer to join the band (even if he flat-out told Eddie "it's crazy to have anyone other than Roth sing for you guys at this point", Cherone probably realized Eddie was bent on getting someone - ANYONE - other than Dave, and the only thing that would have accomplished was Cherone not getting the job). While the timeline of when Roth contacted the Van Halens vs. them booting Hagar out vs. Roth recording with the band vs. Cherone auditioning is still not established with precision re: actual dates, even if there was overlap SOMEBODY should have realized that doing a couple of tunes with Roth was gonna get people amped up for a full-fledged CVH reunion. Cherone found himself in this situation where he really couldn't refuse, but now he has to overcome an additional hurdle with the dashed expectations of the fanbase when the Roth Debacle unfolded. Like, it was gonna be tough enough for him to establish himself in Van Halen as it was WITHOUT the band reuniting with Dave for a quickie after Hagar left.

When I watched the interviews the Van Halen 3 lineup gave right after after the album was released, there's Eddie blathering on like everything is fine, and more often than not Cherone has this distant look on his face like he finally realized the game was over before it even started. It must have been abysmal for him to undertake that tour with the band and see the crowds dwindle. While the Van Halens pulled the roof in on themselves, Cherone seemed like a decent guy who (unlike Hagar) was respectful of what CVH had accomplished, and I still don't bear the guy any harsh feelings for taking a shot. He just got caught up in a shitstorm, and what must have seemed like a dream gig in theory got turned into a nightmare in reality...I actually suspect the Van Halens WANTED to reunite with Roth in 1996 for an album and tour, but wanted him to work on a reduced percentage like Mike Anthony was at that point. They wanted to call the shots. Financially, musically...even in terms of lyric content and publicity. Once it was clear Dave wasn't gonna accept that, they went and found Cherone, who was so blown away by the fact that he was even THERE to begin with that he wasn't gonna say shit.

Hagar claims in his book that Eddie had played bass on some of the tracks on various Van Halen albums even before Hagar was in the band. Hagar doesn't specify which albums/songs, and Hagar has been prone to telling a few porkie pies in his day (or at the very least exaggerating the truth). It'd be interesting to hear what Anthony has to say about the subject. I can't recollect if Anthony has ever been asked about the albums when Roth was in the band in terms of Eddie overdubbing bass parts...or, if so, such a response was talked about in another thread.

Yount
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM
5150 over III? Urgh I detest Hagar more.
I do not give him ANY more respect than Cherone because Cherone had far superior lyrics to that tripe Hagar serves up for popularity only.
Cherone is at least half a musician.
Hagar is majority businessman.

III's OK! Except the last song should have been changed from HMSI to TWILY

Momshell
06-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Only made it through about 2 minutes - that is sooo boring - holy shit! The worst part about it all for me was that they tried to tell us that that was Van Halen. Had they named it something else, I would have been ok (wouldn't have listened, but would have been less angry). Were the words "how long can this go on?!" If so, at least Cherone got something right! I really don't blame him though - still a better person than Hagar, just no fit for VH.

loucap81
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

That pretty much sums up why he sucks. Any rock outfit where clearly it's about money and not art (e.g. The Eagles) sucks. To put an advertisement for his business on an album (Cabo Wabo) is deplorable.

DLR Bridge
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
...I remember walking to the car & hearing Panama. I was sad.

I'm having total déjà vu. Did you post this here or at the VHND some time back? That line stuck in my head as it is both hysterical and depressing at the same time.

sadaist
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm having total déjà vu. Did you post this here or at the VHND some time back? That line stuck in my head as it is both hysterical and depressing at the same time.

I posted it before. I have some great life stories, but only a few. So I just repeat them over & over.

SNIPER
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I posted it before. I have some great life stories, but only a few. So I just repeat them over & over.

That is pretty fucking funny I must admit. I can picture it in my head even. :biggrin:

ELVIS
06-06-2012, 10:08 AM
To put an advertisement for his business on an album (Cabo Wabo) is deplorable.

It's no worse than flashing a huge Best Buy logo at a concert...

ELVIS
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
5150 over III? Urgh I detest Hagar more.
I do not give him ANY more respect than Cherone because Cherone had far superior lyrics to that tripe Hagar serves up for popularity only.
Cherone is at least half a musician.

III's OK! Except the last song should have been changed from HMSI to TWILY

You're retarded...And gay for Ga y...

5150 is light years ahead of VHIII !!

And yes, Michael Anthony plays on 5150

DLR Bridge
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
That is pretty fucking funny I must admit. I can picture it in my head even. :biggrin:

It kinda reminds me of the Styx- Behind The Music special on VH1 where the guitarist who wasn't Tommy Shaw said that one of the first shows of the Mr. Roboto tour was an outdoor venue, and that after ten minutes or so, he was watching car tail lights light up and pull away. That had to be a shitty feeling. 'Thanks a lot Dennis'.

Yount
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
You're retarded...And gay for Ga y...

5150 is light years ahead of VHIII !!

And yes, Michael Anthony plays on 5150

"Good enough", "Why can't this be love?", "Love walks in", these are extremely gay, and lyrical felonies too. Sammy sings in vague cliches with a boring vocal range. Gary respected the Dave years. Hagar did and still does not. I'm sticking with III.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
"Good enough", "Why can't this be love?", "Love walks in", these are extremely gay, and lyrical felonies too. Sammy sings in vague cliches with a boring vocal range. Gary respected the Dave years. Hagar did and still does not. I'm sticking with III.

There existed a "Dave" version of Good Enough at onetime, allegedly. Hagar just rewrote the lyrics and they changed a few things around...

chefcraig
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
There existed a "Dave" version of Good Enough at onetime, allegedly. Hagar just rewrote the lyrics and they changed a few things around...

Dave talks about the aborted 5150 sessions in his Crazy From The Heat book, where upon he'd waste entire mornings sitting on a bench outside the studio waiting for the VH brothers to drag themselves out of bed and sober up. You pretty much come away with the idea that a good portion of the material was already conceived while Roth was still a part of the band. He goes on to describe some of that very material as "maudlin power-ballads", which is about as apt a description ever offered about the album. I'd also add the phrase "hormone-free."

DLR Bridge
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM

There's a lighter instrumental version of that one in The Wild Life movie.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I believe Dave said that Summer Nights was pretty much all done, at least in demo form, and was entitled Eat Thy Neighbor...that song would kick ass with Dave on it!

DLR Bridge
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Dave talks about the aborted 5150 sessions in his Crazy From The Heat book, where upon he'd waste entire mornings sitting on a bench outside the studio waiting for the VH brothers to drag themselves out of bed and sober up. You pretty much come away with the idea that a good portion of the material was already conceived while Roth was still a part of the band. He goes on to describe some of that very material as "maudlin power-ballads", which is about as apt a description ever offered about the album. I'd also add the phrase "hormone-free."

I think he also used the word morose.

Yount
06-07-2012, 04:04 AM
IT'S 5150 TIME!!!

It's relationship time... "Edward/Michael/Alex/Samuel, you haven't put the bins out yet and it's nearly time for dinner, change your pants too they're disgusting, don't leave that glue out either and wash your hands before you come up, well... hurry up!"