PDA

View Full Version : Ed's amps sound great.....

Hardrock69
06-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Editing the Nashville DVD. Am done with the first 2 songs, Unchained and RWTD.

Ed's tone on Unchained is total BROWN.

Super-thick, grindy atomic molten blast tone.

Stupid goddamn Guitar Center here in Gnashville does not carry his amps. So no way to ever try them out in person.

Kinda stupid, as this is the third jewel in the Triple Crown of entertainment capitals of the US. You would think Guitar Center would pull their heads out of their asses.

Oh well. What do you expect from a monolithic corporate behemoth? That they actually provide products people would want to possibly buy?

But...no matter.

Just wanted to post how awesome his tone is these days.

Nitro Express
06-05-2012, 03:59 AM
I bought one of the 5150 III heads. I didn't need one but Merry Christmas to me anyways. The high gain channel is like the high gain channel on my Peavey 5150 II. The middle or crunch channel is very brown. That's the one I use the most. The rhythm channel gets the job done. It's not a tweed or black faced Fender by any means but it gets the job done.

Hardrock69
06-05-2012, 05:48 AM
God damn......here in Gnashville their performance of Romeo Delight was absolutely BADDER THAN 100 MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!! :jaw:

ThrillsNSpills
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Stupid goddamn Guitar Center here in Gnashville does not carry his amps. So no way to ever try them out in person.

I hear you. I tried to find one of the Stealth Fender Wolf guitars at Guitar Center but no luck.

foolish on both counts

jhale667
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Think only "select" GC locations carry the EVH gear now...my buddy at the Sherman Oaks store said they had ONE amp, and it sold...too bad, more people need to hear this amp...!

:guitar:

DLR Bridge
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Think only "select" GC locations carry the EVH gear now...my buddy at the Sherman Oaks store said they had ONE amp, and it sold...too bad, more people need to hear this amp...!

The one on 14th St in Manhattan has them. The Ivory WGs look phlegm yellow/green. Yuck. I have an Ivory Peavey one that's a nice shade.

CROWBAR
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Guitar World: Why did it take nearly two years to develop the 5150III?
Eddie Van Halen: It took so long because I'm a tone chaser. We had to find somebody who could understand me when I talked about tones. The 5150III is the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one.
Matt Bruck: Eddie's amazing. He's got amazing ears for tones. It's all connected. The sound comes from the player's fingers, through the amp--
Van Halen: --The 5150III--
Bruck: --the 5150III, and to the ears. It's all connected.
GW: So, you had to build the amp that gave you the tones you needed?
Van Halen: Right. I'm a tone chaser. The 5150III is the greatest amp in the world. We went through tons of different parts, tried everything, and we didn't stop until we got the amp to sound like I hear in my head. I don't know what I'm doing. I just use my ears.
Bruck: We needed an amp with the right sound. It's all connected. Eddie has amazing ears.
GW: What sorts of tones do you require in an amp and how did you go about getting them?
Bruck: We tested everything here at 5150. If Eddie liked it here, we knew it would work anywhere. We would sometimes tweak it here, try different things out. Eddie has amazing ears for tones. We tried different tubes, transformers, knobs, screws--
GW: Screws?
Van Halen: Yeah. It wasn't sounding right. So I went back to the guys at Fender and told them to have a shorter guy screw the transformer onto the chassis. They had a guy who was like 6'3" screwing them in and, because he was so tall, the angle of his wrist would make the screw go in at a little bit of an angle.
Bruck: .0067" off center.
Van Halen: Yeah. So, I told them to have a shorter guy screw the transformer in, and the different angle of his wrist gave the amp the right kind of sustain. The 5150III is the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one.
GW: But, I don't see how--
Bruck: Eddie's amazing. It's all connected. The music goes from the soul, through the heart, to the amp---
Van Halen: --5150III--
Bruck: --5150III, and through the screws and out the speaker.
Van Halen: I'm a tone chaser. I don't know what I'm doing. I just use my ears. Like with the birch wood for the speaker cabinets. The cabinets weren't giving me the tones I needed, so I went to the factory and told them to fire everybody who was born on a Tuesday.
GW: Wait, what? Born on a Tuesday?
Van Halen: Yeah. See guys who were born on a Tuesday use too much glue or something when they build speaker cabinets. I try and get guys who were born on a Monday. Their cabinets sound best. I don't know the details, I just listen with my ears. The 5150III is the only amp you need. Whether you're playing clubs or stadiums, country, rock or rap. The 5150III is the only amp to buy.
Bruck: Eddie has amazing ears. It's all connected. The music comes from the soul, through the esophagus, then through the guitar and into the amp --5150III.
GW: Uh huh.
Van Halen: All my EVH gear is really tested, too. I check it out myself, and if it stands up to my tests, then I know it's going to work. With the 5150III, I was eating a sandwich and I left the other half of the sandwich on top of the 5150III for, like, six months or something. And it still sounded great!
GW: The sandwich?
Van Halen: No, the 5150III. It's the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one. Do you have one yet?
GW: No, not yet. What about the sandwich? Do you use the same one?
Van Halen: No. I made Matt eat it.
Bruck: It had some awesome tone from being in contact with the 5150III for so long. Eddie's amazing. It's all connected. The music comes from the pituitary gland....
GW: You ate a six-month-old sandwich?
Bruck: Yeah. Even the guys at the hospital who pumped my stomach were amazed at the tones my stomach was making.
Van Halen: Yeah! They were like, "Whoa! This 5150III is an amazing amp!"
GW: Do you still have your old Marshall?
Van Halen: What Marshall? Marshall? What's a Marshall?
GW: You know. The famous "brown sound" Marshall that you used on all of the classic records?
Van Halen: I don't remember using anything. Every other amp I've ever played through is a piece of shit. I never even paid attention to what I was using because it sounded so bad. I'm a tone chaser. The 5150III is the only amp I use.
GW: Well, we're all glad that the amp is so good. Have you actually been using it to, you know, record any music?

Van Halen: Buy a 5150III.

Bruck: Eddie's amazing. It's all connected.

-GW

mh5150
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought EVH was a alcoholic . He is a tone chaser :D

jhale667
06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Eddie Van Halen: It took so long because I'm a tone chaser. We had to find somebody who could understand me when I talked about tones. The 5150III is the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one.
Matt Bruck: Eddie's amazing. He's got amazing ears for tones. It's all connected. The sound comes from the player's fingers, through the amp--
Van Halen: Right. I'm a tone chaser. The 5150III is the greatest amp in the world. We went through tons of different parts, tried everything, and we didn't stop until we got the amp to sound like I hear in my head. I don't know what I'm doing. I just use my ears.
Bruck: We needed an amp with the right sound. It's all connected. Eddie has amazing ears.
GW: What sorts of tones do you require in an amp and how did you go about getting them?
Bruck: We tested everything here at 5150. If Eddie liked it here, we knew it would work anywhere. We would sometimes tweak it here, try different things out. Eddie has amazing ears for tones. We tried different tubes, transformers, knobs, screws--
Van Halen: Yeah. It wasn't sounding right. So I went back to the guys at Fender and told them to have a shorter guy screw the transformer onto the chassis. They had a guy who was like 6'3" screwing them in and, because he was so tall, the angle of his wrist would make the screw go in at a little bit of an angle.
Van Halen: Yeah. So, I told them to have a shorter guy screw the transformer in, and the different angle of his wrist gave the amp the right kind of sustain. The 5150III is the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one.
Bruck: Eddie's amazing. It's all connected. The music goes from the soul, through the heart, to the amp---
Van Halen: I'm a tone chaser. I don't know what I'm doing. I just use my ears. Like with the birch wood for the speaker cabinets. The cabinets weren't giving me the tones I needed, so I went to the factory and told them to fire everybody who was born on a Tuesday.
Van Halen: Yeah. See guys who were born on a Tuesday use too much glue or something when they build speaker cabinets. I try and get guys who were born on a Monday. Their cabinets sound best. I don't know the details, I just listen with my ears. The 5150III is the only amp you need. Whether you're playing clubs or stadiums, country, rock or rap. The 5150III is the only amp to buy.
Bruck: Eddie has amazing ears. It's all connected. The music comes from the soul, through the esophagus, then through the guitar and into the amp --5150III.
Van Halen: All my EVH gear is really tested, too. I check it out myself, and if it stands up to my tests, then I know it's going to work. With the 5150III, I was eating a sandwich and I left the other half of the sandwich on top of the 5150III for, like, six months or something. And it still sounded great!
Van Halen: No, the 5150III. It's the ultimate amp. Everybody should buy one. Do you have one yet?
Bruck: It had some awesome tone from being in contact with the 5150III for so long. Eddie's amazing. It's all connected. The music comes from the pituitary gland....
Bruck: Yeah. Even the guys at the hospital who pumped my stomach were amazed at the tones my stomach was making.
GW: You know. The famous "brown sound" Marshall that you used on all of the classic records?
Van Halen: I don't remember using anything. Every other amp I've ever played through is a piece of shit. I never even paid attention to what I was using because it sounded so bad. I'm a tone chaser. The 5150III is the only amp I use.
GW: Well, we're all glad that the amp is so good. Have you actually been using it to, you know, record any music?

-GW

...To think I actually READ this, thinking there might be a quote from the GW article I missed originally... :hee:

private parts
06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Editing the Nashville DVD. Am done with the first 2 songs, Unchained and RWTD.

Ed's tone on Unchained is total BROWN.

Super-thick, grindy atomic molten blast tone.

Kinda stupid, as this is the third jewel in the Triple Crown of entertainment capitals of the US. You would think Guitar Center would pull their heads out of their asses.

Oh well. What do you expect from a monolithic corporate behemoth? That they actually provide products people would want to possibly buy?

But...no matter.

HR- Are you going to make that DVD available to......us?

jhale667
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I mentioned in the NAMM thread I believe - the rhythm channel is TOTAL "brown" - NAILS the CVH tone, it's really amazing. JUST ENOUGH grit and oomph to nail the tones, and not fizzy or total overkill with preamp gain. I love it. The lead channel is completely insane, but still has that organic, chest-thumping TONE so many high-gain amps are lacking.

Coyote
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I mentioned in the NAMM thread I believe - the rhythm channel is TOTAL "brown" - NAILS the CVH tone, it's really amazing. JUST ENOUGH grit and oomph to nail the tones, and not fizzy or total overkill with preamp gain. I love it. The lead channel is completely insane, but still has that organic, chest-thumping TONE so many high-gain amps are lacking.

True dat. Unbelievable spectrum of tone in that amp... I'm tempted, to say the least.

Nitro Express
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM

I didn't buy the cab I just bought the head and used it with my Peavey 5150 cab which has speakers that are lower wattage and were made to Ed's specs. I figure if the cab didn't work I could always buy one later. I just mail ordered mine and didn't even try one out first and I was pleasantly surprised.

Not only is the middle channel classically brown the amp is very guitar friendly and pickup friendly. I think if a person wanted an all around good amp to play various kinds of music with using different guitars I could highly recommend the amp. Fender really did do a good job with it.

ashstralia
06-06-2012, 05:58 AM
the guitar sound on adkot is fantastic. i'm listening around the production, you can tell it sounded GREAT in the room.

i've played one of those amps, they are very very good; but for the comparative $$ my jsx 2x12 kills it.:)

Hardrock69
06-06-2012, 05:59 AM
And to answer your question PP,

NO!

I HATE ALL OF YOU!

FUCK OFF AND DIE! :mad:

Now......do you think I was serious? :hee:

I just got done editing STW, Romeo Delight and Tattoo last night.

Going much faster than I had thought.

Tattoo only had 5 video clips to work with. But they were all the full length of the song, and in general I was able to make it work well.

If I can keep up this pace....I might be done in a month.

Fuck yes....Roth Army exclusive.....I will send a couple of copies out to peeps and they can pass it on. Is going to be 2-disc set in Stereo. I don't have a true 5.1 setup for audio, though when I have 5+ video clips, it would be easy to have surround channels. Just that in a lot of cases the native audio for the clip sucks fucking ass.

I am thrilled at how these first 5 songs turned out. Much easier than the U2 DVD I edited...but then I used over 300 clips for that fucker. This one I have over 150. And a lot of these people apparently know how to shoot video. Really steady camwork, no bouncing around, etc.

Wonder if Ed would trade me a stack for a copy of the DVD, lol.

ashstralia
06-06-2012, 06:06 AM
you rock, Hr. you know i rarely hit the caps key.:)

this deserves it's own thread, maybe?

Hardrock69
06-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Goddammit! :mad:

I know some people who say they were at this show, and are all mad and shit because they think Dave sucked, and they feel they got ripped off.....

WTF??????

Dave is fucking GREAT! SINGING HIS MOTHERFUCKING ASS OFF!

He NEVER was this fucking serious about actually "singing" in the 70s-80s period. Yes, he was great on the 2007-2008 tour, but anyone who says he sucks on this tour is nuts!

I dunno what these people were thinking. Did they want FIRE? Smoke? Mirrors? Dancing gurls? 'Splosions? Giant mirror balls that turn into humongous penises?

WHAT?????

IT IS THE MIGHTY MOTHERFUCKING VAN HALEN!

I just don't get some people.

Hardrock69
06-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Hey Ash, perhaps eventually. When I get done maybe. ;)

I LOVE working on kickass audio/video projects. And when you have the MIGHTY MOTHERFUCKING VAN HALEN, it is fucking awesome to do this.

And that is why I get pissed off.....I mean, Dave does his schtick, and is going to do the usual ad-libs, but he will bust out a note once in awhile and hold it for a while....sure that hi-mid tone is a bit off-putting, but I think he wants to show the world he can actually push himself vocally....or maybe he just gets too excited, lol. Christ, I would be running on pure adrenaline if I were in his shoes haha.

Romeo Delight is great. Everybody Wants some is fucking AWESOME. Great intro....kidding with Alex about the drum intro "Is that American Indian?.......IN the land of sky blue waters......don't laugh, beer is what got us here...".

Fucking hell! I am just as excited watching this shit as I was at the fucking show! Well, maybe not quite, lol. But goddamn.

I GOT TO SEE FUCKING VAN HALEN AGAIN! WOOHOO!!!

Hardrock69
06-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Christ.....Ed is so fucking on......During Everybody Wants Some.....Dave is doing his Samurai Sword routine with a mic stand......

And, during various bits and pieces of the song, as well as the lengthy spoken intro.....the look on his face sometimes....unadulterated glee!

And this brings to my mind the following:

WHAT OTHER FRONTMAN IN THE HISTORY OF ROCK MUSIC HAS EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE CHARASMA THAT DAVE HAS?

Not to mention the LIFE he has led.

Rock musician.
Author
Explorer
Traveler
EMT
Chopper Pilot
Songwriter
Drive Time Radio Show Host
Martial Arts practitioner

So....Elvis was into Martial Arts....but I think Dave was more serious about it......Bruce Dickinson was an airline pilot and world-ranked fencer....

But Dave has the schtick...the charasma.....the look on his face like he has just gotten away with something :hee:

The man knows how to have FUN.....and drag everyone else in the arena IN TO THE JOKE!

Can't tell you how many times I have been watching Dave, and his antic have caused me to bust a gut laughing. Not many frontmen seem to have nearly as much fun.....like Tater...the bald-headed asswipe formerly in Queensryche.....he is so busy being suave and sophisticated in his wine-tasting bullshit that he comes off too fucking pretentious....takes himself so seriously he appears to have forgotten about having fun during a performance....

See, I have all these different camera angles to look at....some of them close enough that Dave's face fills the screen....I see Alex laughing at Dave's antics.....Ed having a blast....Wolfy having the time of his fucking life....

Man....seeing the show in person was one thing, but getting to relive it in 10-dimensions makes it even better......

I need to stop going off about it, but christ....I can't help it. So fucking cool.

Nitro Express
06-07-2012, 03:31 AM
the guitar sound on adkot is fantastic. i'm listening around the production, you can tell it sounded GREAT in the room.

i've played one of those amps, they are very very good; but for the comparative $$ my jsx 2x12 kills it.:)

The JSX is probably the best amp James Brown designed and the best amp bargain hands down. More versatile than a 5050 and just as reliable.

Hardrock69
06-07-2012, 04:15 AM
:lmao:

Uncle Dave right in the midst of "Somebody Get Me A Doctor":

*WOLFGANG'S A SINGING MOTHERFUCKER TONIIIIIITE!"

Never heard of a JSX before. Learn something new every day.....

ashstralia
06-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Bruce Dickinson was an airline pilot and world-ranked fencer....

"Paul Bruce Dickinson (born 7 August 1958) is an English singer, songwriter, airline pilot, fencer, broadcaster, author, screenwriter, actor and former marketing director, best known as the lead vocalist of the heavy metal band Iron Maiden."

:rockit:

lovin it Hr! i want a copy of your dvd. look, i'll pay ya for it, what the fuck.

and yeah, the jsx series fucking rock. precision built like a tank, versatility like you won't believe (hands down the loudest cleanest clean channel i've ever heard), and available at reasonable cost 2nd hand.

con; very heavy.

ELVIS
06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I need to stop going off about it, but christ....I can't help it. ELVIS is So fucking cool.

Thankya...

Thankya very much...

:elvis:

Hardrock69
06-08-2012, 02:22 AM

You almost got it....should sound more like:

"Thingyuh....thingyuh vurramusch....." :hee:

Hardrock69
06-08-2012, 02:39 AM
No worries Ash. Once I get it in circulation, I am sure someone with an actual broadband connection can upload it to rapidshare or FTP or something.

ELVIS
06-08-2012, 07:18 AM
They still have dial up ??

:biggrin:

indeedido
06-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Uncle Dave right in the midst of "Somebody Get Me A Doctor":

*WOLFGANG'S A SINGING MOTHERFUCKER TONIIIIIITE!"

Never heard of a JSX before. Learn something new every day.....

The JSX is a great amp. So flexible. Active eq not passive so the controls are very responsive. Clean channel is mega clean. A LOT of features for not a lot of dough.

78/84 guy
06-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Ed's tone sounds more old school then it did in 07/08. I have enough boots and have seen him live enough to say this is his best tone and playing since 81. Not as much effects going on losing the notes. Why is it cleaner this tour ? What isn't he using ?

jhale667
06-09-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't think it's a matter of what he's not using so much as how he's using things... IMO his tone's been getting better since he went back to pedals & ditched a lot of the rack stuff. Plus I think he's making greater use of the 5150 III's rhythm channel...it is the old-school tone practically... at the Henson gig Bantonelli and I were standing on Ed's side right in front of his amps (or course) and it sounded EPIC. We DID, however strategically place ourselves with her standing to my left so she could better see Dave... :bigwink:

Hardrock69
06-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Oh of course. She SHOULD have the best place to stand to get a good view of his "microphone", lol.

ashstralia
06-09-2012, 08:39 AM
No worries Ash. Once I get it in circulation, I am sure someone with an actual broadband connection can upload it to rapidshare or FTP or something.

excellent my friend.

crowhue
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I bought one of the 5150 III heads. I didn't need one but Merry Christmas to me anyways. The high gain channel is like the high gain channel on my Peavey 5150 II. The middle or crunch channel is very brown. That's the one I use the most. The rhythm channel gets the job done. It's not a tweed or black faced Fender by any means but it gets the job done.

Any idea what the tube configuration is in these amps?

vanshipman
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM

-GW

Dude that was hilarious!!!

vanshipman
06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
However I do think the amp sounds pretty sweet...It's probably because of the tone chasing.......and the sandwich!!!

VAiN
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Any idea what the tube configuration is in these amps?

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/subpage?partno=2255150000#specs_sheet

Hardrock69
06-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Hmmm....Does not look the same, but what the hell. Retail is 5,500 for a half-stack? Good lord.

Oh well. Boutique prices.....I am sure he is selling them all.

ELVIS
06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
There is no reason it should cost that much...

fourthcoming
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I think they come with a free pair of striped high top sneakers.

ELVIS
06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
No, that's the delux edition for $8,500

fourthcoming
06-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Ahhhh....I knew there was a catch.....nothing's for free.....

VAiN
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
That's crazy expensive. I'd love to pick one up, but it'll most likely be used and in a few years. Im still good with my 5150 'block type' half stack.