PDA

View Full Version : Night Ranger London club show review 2012

mumpy73
06-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Hello folks,

Here's a review of Night Ranger's club show at the 800 capacity Islington Acadamy from Monday 4th June 2012 if anyone's interested.

Cracking night, enjoy.

http://safcsmoke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/night-ranger-can-still-rock-in-london.html

sadaist
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Cool review. I wonder how they would have fit opening for Van Halen? Being only a casual Night ranger fan I didn't recognize many of the songs on the setlist but could really see them KILLING it with a setlist half that size for the VH crowds.

katina
06-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Night Ranger, GrowinŽUp In California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CfEKIubSY

DONNIEP
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
That's a killer setlist!!! Night Ranger fucking rocks! They would have been a good choice as an opener for VH.

Nitro Express
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I remember seeing Night Ranger right after they broke big. Back when a general admission ticket was $10. I remember it being a pretty good show. The two guitar slingers in the band had some talent.

binnie
06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Personally, I've always thought that Night Ranger sucked more balls than Paris Hilton on an average Saturday night - but that was a good review, so thanks.

SunisinuS
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
One of the sweetest Accoustic tunes ever....by the Ball Sucking Binnie Back Up Singers!

:flame:

New stuff still has some Dawn Patrol Elements to it:

They Ain't scared apparently:

Just a bonus track just for fun only on I-tunes I think.....lol listen to the end....Still in America! Alright...Ohh Yea!

mumpy73
06-06-2012, 03:20 AM
It was a class gig. Second time they've been back to this small venue in twelve months., so they knew the audience. They really ripped it up.Tix were only Ł17 so money well spent. Brad Gillis really is up there as a guitar player, just unbelievable.

Nitro Express
06-06-2012, 03:28 AM
I was impressed with Brad Gillis' playing clear back in the mid 1980's. I thought they were a good band.

Mr Badguy
06-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Their last album was excellent, as good as much of their 80's output.

CROWBAR
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Those guys are a much better live band than on record. Saw them open for ZZ Top a long time ago and was impressed.

gbranton
06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Those guys are a much better live band than on record. Saw them open for ZZ Top a long time ago and was impressed.

Agreed, I have seen them a couple of times in the past couple of years, they keep the ticket prices reasonable and put on a good show. I definitely would be on board if they came around again. Gillis is a killer guitar player. The only complaint I have is with the setlist, I wish they would tinker with it just a bit. The new song they lead with is pretty good. I love to hear them do "Rumours...", "Eddie's...", "Touch..." and of course "Don't Tell Me You Love Me", all great rocking songs. I like most of the others as well. I'm not big on them doing the Damn Yankees songs, but I have noticed that the crowd likes it, so ok, but I don't think they should be wasting their time playing an Ozzy song when they have a number of other great songs they could be playing in it's stead. If they would drop "Crazy Train" and "Secret........" (never liked that tune) and mix in two more rockers their set would be almost perfect.

mumpy73
06-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Crazy Train went down really well. It was preceeded with a Blades' rap about Brad doing the Ozzy tour, and the audience here last it as they didn't play it last time round. You gotta remember you guys can see Night Ranger any time. Until the show last summer, the last time they played here was 1985!! We get a fair share of US 80s metal over here; Y & T tour regularly which is always a good show.

gbranton
06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Crazy Train went down really well. It was preceeded with a Blades' rap about Brad doing the Ozzy tour, and the audience here last it as they didn't play it last time round.

It went down well here as well and I like the song, but Night Ranger is more than a cover band. Who here would like for Van Halen to play Beat It live just because Ed played on it?

Fairwrning
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Always liked this band..good guys too..met them at the Marriott I worked at..they were touring with Starship..hanging out in the hotel bar after the show talking to everyone..putting names on the guest list for anybody that could make the next show.

sadaist
06-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Night Ranger, GrowinŽUp In California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CfEKIubSY

Typical Night Ranger formula. Sounds A LOT like Still Rock In America.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
One of the first VHS tapes I bought when I got stationed in Japan in '84, their concert from Kosei Nenkin Kaikan in '83....

katina
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Typical Night Ranger formula. Sounds A LOT like Still Rock In America.

Yes, you are right.
GrowinŽUp in California and (You can still) Rock in America, are quite similar and sticky tunes.

Mushroom
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I loved Night Ranger in the 80's. I saw them play Del Mar fair in 1987. They were hot live, better live than on record. Their first 3 records are the most quintessential part of their catalog. Brad Gillis is the tremolo bar master, Jeff Watson was the 8-finger tapping master. But they blended together so well.

ELVIS
06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
This is really cool...

:killer:

fourthcoming
06-08-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't know many Night Ranger tunes....but that one kicked ass.