PDA

View Full Version : Any rock climbers in here?

Nitro Express
06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I've done a bit of rock climbing but I've signed myself up for a summer of mountaineering lessons. I just figure with the Teton range in my backyard and some very good rock climbing being near by I should take advantage of it. Whenever I get on the climbing harness Just Like Paradise always starts playing in my head. I spent most the winter getting in shape for this so we will see how it goes. We will be climbing the Tetons and going to The City of Rocks and Moab over the summer.

TwoFoolsAMinute
06-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Someday, my friend. When I get to that part of the world.

Angel
06-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I grew up in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, but always hated steep hikes, let alone scaling rock walls, lol.

I miss my mountains. I'm mildly agorophobic, I get slightly panicky in wide open spaces...and I live in the prairies, go figure.

Do me a favour and hug a mountain for me this summer. ;)

Nitro Express
06-10-2012, 01:40 AM
The craziest thing I ever saw was driving up to a ski area in Utah and seeing a bunch of ice climbers climbing a frozen waterfall.

You have to be in shape to do climbing. Real good shape. If you have a hard time doing pull ups or dips you better do some time in the gym. I worked out all winter for this so I can just focus on climbing technique instead of just being tired and miserable and putting myself in danger because of it.

Angel
06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I know quite a few climbers, definitely a skill.

Just always make sure people know where/when you are going. I'll never forget mucking out the horse corral one day and hearing cries for help echoing through the valley.

We called out to ask where they were. On a ledge on a mountain was all they could tell us. They didn't know the name of the mountain they were on, and hadn't registered their climb with the wardens. One of them fell, landed on a ledge and broke his leg. The other climbed down to him, and was now stuck on the ledge.

Bloody hard trying to figure out where they were. Lucky for them they were on the town side or we never would have heard them...