PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy your Facebook: People that are now just somebody I used to know....

SunisinuS
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Why I never made one and never will ever put anything about me on the internets......

Now Walk into a convience store....wave to the camera as the clerk asks your birthdate and show your license, while your car outside is given a gps tracking device. Meanwhile, the next intersection takes a picture of you to confirm.

And all because they had the wrong guy.

GL with the Future.....let's all have some Soylent Green together shall we?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/18/technology/startups/facebook-acquires-face/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Facebook has acquired Israel-based Face.com for an undisclosed sum, Face.com confirmed Monday in a post on its blog.

You may not have heard of Face.com, but you've probably seen its technology in action.

Launched in 2008, the company powers many Facebook apps that detect and "recognize" faces in photos. Thousands of developers, including Facebook (FB) itself, have built applications using Face.com's online software.

Facebook has been rumored for months to be in talks to acquire the company. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"People who use Facebook enjoy sharing photos and memories with their friends, and Face.com's technology has helped to provide the best photo experience," Facebook said in a prepared statement. "This transaction simply brings a world-class team and a long-time technology vendor in house."

Facebook is famous for doing "acqui-hires," scooping up talented staff and then shutting down their services, but a source close to Facebook emphasized that Face.com's technology will remain intact.
Face.com has provided services to Facebook for two years, so buying the company was a logical move, the source said. Face.com's small development team plans to stay with the company.

"By working with Facebook directly, and joining their team, we'll have more opportunities to build amazing products that will be employed by consumers -- that's all we've ever wanted to do," Face.com CEO Gil Hirsch posted on the company's blog.

Face.com has long been considered a hot acquisition target, but Hirsch said he was holding out for a "too good to pass up" offer. In December, Hirsch told CNNMoney that Face.com had already turned down several bids: "We think the potential is much bigger," he said. "We're just warming up."

But Hirsch's past entrepreneurial adventures taught him to strike when the iron is hot. Before the dot-com bust, Hirsch worked at Xacct Technologies, a corporate software maker that became a casualty of the bubble's burst.
Xacct eventually sold for $30 million -- a tenth of the price it was once valued at.

"I learned some things after I went through the dot-com bust," Hirsch told CNNMoney. "I learned that if you get a good offer, take it."

clarathecarrot
06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Why I never made one and never will ever put anything about me on the internets......

Now Walk into a convience store....wave to the camera as the clerk asks your birthdate and show your license, while your car outside is given a gps tracking device. Meanwhile, the next intersection takes a picture of you to confirm.

And all because they had the wrong guy.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/18/technology/startups/facebook-acquires-face/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

"People who use Facebook enjoy sharing photos and memories with their friends, and Face.com's technology has helped to provide the best photo experience," Facebook said in a prepared statement. "This transaction simply brings a world-class team and a long-time technology vendor in house."

"By working with Facebook directly, and joining their team, we'll have more opportunities to build amazing products that will be employed by consumers -- that's all we've ever wanted to do," Face.com CEO Gil Hirsch posted on the company's blog.

."

And don't forgrt to be calling, free credit report. NOW we know where you are. dot CON!

Then there is the new, know your own credit report because -YOU MUST- that give the three MAJOR credit reporting print outs ...you know for triangulation by the government tracking agencys that all of the sudden are knocking at your door.
Onstar, isn't for opening your door when you lock the keys in it is for tracking you and if you miss a payment to chevy motor credit they can turn off your car till you pay up.

Fun stuff for idiots.

chefcraig
06-19-2012, 11:47 AM
One can only hope that the technology will be used for good, as opposed to evil. The thinking of which goes a long way toward explaining why this is one of my favorite new tv shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVmAXjbj4k&feature=related

Nitro Express
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
One can only hope that the technology will be used for good, as opposed to evil. The thinking of which goes a long way toward explaining why this is one of my favorite new tv shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVmAXjbj4k&feature=related

It's why we all need to be political pitt bulls because if we go back to just being distracted and not paying attention they will own our ass.

VHscraps
06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
In the UK meanwhile, if anyone wanted to 'go analogue', so to speak, to get away from all this digital snooping that the govt here are trying to get passed through Parliament, then you can think again. This was from the (London) Times on Saturday:

"the government is seeking powers that could force Royal Mail to retain the content of every postcard passing through its system".

Yes, indeed. I imagine it means they would scan everything. It's the digital nightmare of a near as can be managed 1:1 replica of everything that ever happens.

Currently, the UK is considered the 2nd most surveilled society on the planet (after China), but obviously angling for the top spot with the old 'if-you've-nothing-to-hide, you've-nothing-to-fear' rhetoric. Un-fckn-believable, and probably all in the name of so-called terrorism threats.

There's always carrier pigeons, of course ...

Hardrock69
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
This is why I do not post images of myself on FB. And why I don't allow images taken of me by others to be tagged.

AND...it is why I do not use my real name on there.

There ARE ways you can defeat this shit if you have the presence of mind to do so.

Of course, if things continue as they are, I may get off FB anyway, even though I am anonymous on there.

Here...from yesterday:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/facebook_settle_sponsored_story_case/

Facebook shells out $10m for using users faces in adverts
It's a Book of Faces, get used to it ... bitch

By Anna Leach

Posted 18th June 2012 11:43 GMT

Facebook has settled a suit that could have seen it compensating 150 million people in the United States.

Facebook will pay out $10m to charity to settle a class action lawsuit that challenged the social network for using punters' mugshots in adverts.

The case was settled on Friday, 15 June, and Facebook have agreed to pay out £10m in a cy-pres settlement, meaning the settlement funds can go to charity.

Facebook's practice of using users' names and photos to promote commercial content landed them with a suit back in August 2011, just after they introduced the controversial new feature that did not allow users to opt-out from having their photos and names used to endorse brands. The suit was brought by five users in California, but as a class action would have included all persons in the US who had their Facebook identity used to promote an advert at or before the time of the case - a potential 150 million users, the number of Facebookers in America.

The users claimed that the unauthorised use of photos violated California's privacy law. The sponsored story idea has been rolled out more widely since the beginning of 2012.

Judge Lucy Koh referenced several quotations from Facebook chiefs explaining how the friend-endorsed adverts were much more valuable for advertisers. Koh said Californian law would favour the plantiffs.

"California has long recognized a right to protect one's name and likeness against appropriation by others for their advantage," Koh wrote.

Facebook is facing similar suits elsewhere, including one in Canada. ®

U.S. District Court, Northern District of California is Angel Fraley et al., individually and on behalf of all others similarly situated vs. Facebook Inc., 11-cv-1726.

Angel
06-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Facebook's a dying entity, going the way of MySpace. I've got pics, etc. on Facebook, but I also WANT to be known. FB served it's purpose, helped me get back in touch with some fine folks, but networking-wise, Twitter's where it's at.

You can truly network there. I have film industry people from all over the world that I follow and/or follow me.

Plus I've had so many interviews that if you google me you'll get more info than you do from my FB page.

ELVIS
06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
You're right...

I googled bitch and all kind of stuff about you came up...

Seshmeister
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
In the UK meanwhile, if anyone wanted to 'go analogue', so to speak, to get away from all this digital snooping that the govt here are trying to get passed through Parliament, then you can think again. This was from the (London) Times on Saturday:

"the government is seeking powers that could force Royal Mail to retain the content of every postcard passing through its system".

Yes, indeed. I imagine it means they would scan everything. It's the digital nightmare of a near as can be managed 1:1 replica of everything that ever happens.

Currently, the UK is considered the 2nd most surveilled society on the planet (after China), but obviously angling for the top spot with the old 'if-you've-nothing-to-hide, you've-nothing-to-fear' rhetoric. Un-fckn-believable, and probably all in the name of so-called terrorism threats.

There's always carrier pigeons, of course ...

You're quite right there are some totally fucking ridiculous ideas being thrown about at the moment. It's a mixture of sinister and stupid being put forward often by people who have no idea at all how technology works.

As far as the postcard thing goes it's outrageous but maybe not quite as bad as you think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18477158

Hopefully it will go the same way as much of the governments dumb ideas and they will have to drop it.

ELVIS
06-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, it's no big deal, eh Sesh ??

binnie
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
You're quite right there are some totally fucking ridiculous ideas being thrown about at the moment. It's a mixture of sinister and stupid being put forward often by people who have no idea at all how technology works.

As far as the postcard thing goes it's outrageous but maybe not quite as bad as you think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18477158

Hopefully it will go the same way as much of the governments dumb ideas and they will have to drop it.

There are two issues that come to mind with stuff like this:

1) every time our government(s) try to implement the computer systems necessary for task of this size, it falls flat on its face. Think about the NHS computer reforms, for instance.

2) storing all of that information is one thing. Having enough people to process it for it to be a 'Big Brother' situation is quite another.

ELVIS
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
You're underestimating big brother...

sadaist
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

"To serve man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIufLRpJYnI

Damn embedding. Click the link. You won't be disappointed. It's family friendly so click it already.

BenJammin
06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
How does that famous quote go? Something like "Personal freedoms and liberties are never given away in one lump sum, instead they are given away piece by piece".

But I did find this one with a search :

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

binnie
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
You're underestimating big brother...

I'm really not - it's a terrible TV show.

You really think that there is a conspiracy to undo your liberty? At what point does someone become part of 'Big Brother'. Is every member of the armed forces, local government or any employee of the state a part of it? If not, are they all somehow ignorant of the conspiracy? That's a lot of people to con and to keep quiet........

BenJammin
06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I would think that only a few would know the true agenda, or at least seize upon the situation when it becomes clear things have degraded to the point they could step in.

But generally it's done in small increments, gradual indoctrination, and the "belief that everything will be better" if we/me/you just give in a little here and there for the greater good. See 'Third Reich'.

(I know... making the jump from FB to nazi Germany is a big leap, but hey, the anti-Christ isn't supposed to appear overtly evil at first ).

ELVIS
06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
You really think that there is a conspiracy to undo your liberty?

That's not a conspiracy. But yes, liberty has been undermined in this country...

At what point does someone become part of 'Big Brother'.

When they write or support legislation involved with surveillance, drones, cameras, reporting on neighbors and family, terrorism, domestic terrorism, no due process, gun bans...and on and on...

Is every member of the armed forces, local government or any employee of the state a part of it?

No...

If not, are they all somehow ignorant of the conspiracy?

No, but probably more so than not...

That's a lot of people to con and to keep quiet........

No its not...

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm really not - it's a terrible TV show.

You really think that there is a conspiracy to undo your liberty? At what point does someone become part of 'Big Brother'. Is every member of the armed forces, local government or any employee of the state a part of it? If not, are they all somehow ignorant of the conspiracy? That's a lot of people to con and to keep quiet........

You're wasting your breath and the 1&0's around here using logic with their inbreds...

Nickdfresh
06-20-2012, 07:55 PM
The real problem is we need significant legislation such as a massive update to The Privacy Act of 1974*, which recent terrorist events have essentially put off while tech advances precipitously.

But being a conspiratorial fuckwit about everything doesn't help either...

SunisinuS
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
There are two issues that come to mind with stuff like this:

1) every time our government(s) try to implement the computer systems necessary for task of this size, it falls flat on its face. Think about the NHS computer reforms, for instance.

2) storing all of that information is one thing. Having enough people to process it for it to be a 'Big Brother' situation is quite another.

Well I think that people willingly joining a database is not directly a government enterprise. The Government will just sit back and either buy the information or cherry pick it via legislation. And once they get some info on you they try and keep it forever. Just like a false arrest means they have your finger prints forever....they will not erase them. And anyone that trusts the government to "do the right thing" with all of this information probably is still teething or still hoping Nixon will win the next election.

binnie
06-21-2012, 02:42 AM
How can you live in the richest, most prosperous country in history and think that the government is out to get you?

It baffles me, but I'm fascinated by it.

Seshmeister
06-21-2012, 04:28 AM
People prefer to convince themselves that there is some secret cabal of super powerful people running things as evil geniuses.

This is much less frightening to them than sailing through life on a sea of random crazy shit where no one really knows what the fuck is going on or how to control it.

That's basically the cornerstone of almost every conspiracy theory, it's human nature.

In the US it's exacerbated by a strange disconnect between people and government, maybe because of the size. Here where half the people you know work for the government with varying levels of effectiveness I don't think we think of 'the state' as a separate towering monster more as a bunch of people trying to pay their mortgages while some bullshitters at the top try not to lose their jobs while on an ego trip.

As I've said before I don't know how people, particularly Americans, can spend half their lives complaining about how shit government is at doing everything from road repairs to bombing the right people but at the same time think there is a different secret kind of government that is super intelligent and brilliantly evil.

binnie
06-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Ssssh Sesh.

They'll never know that you and I are Big Brother......

Seshmeister
06-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I think I'm more Little Sister...

BigBadBrian
06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
You're right...

I googled bitch and all kind of stuff about you came up...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: