PDA

View Full Version : Which book are you reading right now?

Pages : [1] 2

envy_me
07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I am about to start reading The name of the rose by Umberto Eco. I hope it's good. I haven't seen the movie.

I also like to re-read my favorite books every now and then. I LOVE Bel-Ami and everything by Guy de Maupassant. I love I, Claudius by Robert Graves. I also enjoyed Brothers Karamazov and Idiot by Dostojevskij.

What are you reading? Which books are your favorite?

sadaist
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Just finished Conagher from Louis L'Amour yesterday. Great book, great author. Most of his books are pretty short and fast reads. Dude knew his subject material extremely well. Now I'm about to start another of his titled Silver Canyon.

Coyote
07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Brothers Karamazov... Bought it 4 years ago and I still haven't made it past the halfway marker. Should've bought "The Idiot" instead...

Can't go wrong with Henry Miller, though.

envy_me
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Brothers Karamazov... Bought it 4 years ago and I still haven't made it past the halfway marker. Should've bought "The Idiot" instead...

Brothers Karamazov is much better then Idiot. I was thinking of reading Crime and punishment too, but my dad told me it's pretty tragic and sad, and I don't don't deal with tragedy very well, so I'm not gonna read it. My dad gave me White nights to read, I still haven't gotten to it though. He says it's beautiful, not tragic at all. So, I'll definitelly read that one.

Guitar Shark
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
A Storm of Swords...

envy_me
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
A Storm of Swords...

Was it good?

Guitar Shark
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but it's excellent. It's book 3 of the series that has spawned the current "Game of Thrones" show on HBO, so I'm catching up on reading them for the first time.

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Just finished headhunter by jo nesbo .. Really enjoyed it

fourthcoming
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
The Gold Coast....Nelson Demille

Sensible Shoes
07-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Nobody else has admitted it, so I will. "Fifty Shades of Gray", "Fifty Shades Darker", "Fifty Shades, Freed". Whips and Chains meets Harlequin romance. Sex on every other page. Perfect Beach reading.

guwapo_rocker
07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobody else has admitted it, so I will. "Fifty Shades of Gray", "Fifty Shades Darker", "Fifty Shades, Freed". Whips and Chains meets Harlequin romance. Sex on every other page. Perfect Beach reading.

I purchased this trilogy for my wife and all I will say is I am fucking glad I did.

Holy shit!!!!

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I purchased this trilogy for my wife and all I will say is I am fucking glad I did.

Holy shit!!!!

:lmao:

DLR Bridge
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Holy shit!!!!

I think I'm benefitting in the same way. Married life has it's surprising rewards from time to time.

jhale667
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Ms. Pervy McPervertson! :D

sadaist
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Sheesh. I'm the only 1 into westerns? Not surprising. I never had read one really until this year. But really digging them. Up until then I always read the classics. Hemingway, Steinbeck, Tolstoy, etc... Sure I read a few in high school & college, but not a wide range of them. Bookstores have sections for classics & the paperback are usually under $5. Thinking of the original Dracula next. Will be nice to go back to the original story since it's been bastardized so much since.

envy_me
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM

It hasn't come out in swedish yet, I think it'll come out in september or october. I am SO buying it. If you enjoy that one maybe you'll enjoy The story of O :shy:

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Even I've heard of the story of o... Mrs vandeler has it .,.. Whoah the army ladies like it on the wild side lol

envy_me
07-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Even I've heard of the story of o... Mrs vandeler has it .,.. Whoah the army ladies like it on the wild side lol

Yeah, I read it like years ago. Before 50-shades guy was even born :D

DLR Bridge
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Story of O huh? Hmmmmmn... Christmas is fast approaching.

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Sounds like the forum might be quiet this Christmas ... The members will be a bit tied up lol

envy_me
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds like the forum might be quiet this Christmas ... The members will be a bit tied up lol

Lmao :D

chefcraig
07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Married life has it's surprising rewards from time to time.

Ummm...NO.

Johnny Carson: Do you know why divorces cost so much? It's because they are worth it.

Finer words have never been said.

On the reading front, I just finished plowing through William C. Dear's O.J. Is Innocent And I Can Prove It, which suggests the title and goes a long way toward exposing Simpson's son Jason as the real murderer of OJ's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. It is an at times preposterous read, as the details are laid out in a redundant fashion chapter after chapter. I also call into question some events the author claims to have witnessed and experienced, along with the "testimony" of some of his so-called "experts", whose opinions come from years and geographical locations away from the event. Nonetheless, a captivating and compelling way in which to spend several hours contemplating the dire travesties mob-mentality thinking and the rush to judgement fueled by it could bring about.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/99/7d93778396c5f2d54b2475b0e14a4b99.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1038922)

envy_me
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Ummm...NO.

Johnny Carson: Do you know why divorces cost so much? It's because they are worth it.

On the reading front, I just finished plowing through William C. Dear's O.J. Is Innocent And I Can Prove It, which suggests the title and goes a long way toward exposing Simpson's son Jason as the real murderer of OJ's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. It is an at times preposterous read, as the details are laid out in a redundant fashion chapter after chapter. I also call into question some events the author claims to have witnessed and experienced, along with the "testimony" of some of his so-called "experts", whose opinions come from years and geographical locations away from the event. Nonetheless, a captivating and compelling way in which to spend several hours contemplating the dire travesties mob-mentality thinking and the rush to judgement fueled by it could bring about.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/99/7d93778396c5f2d54b2475b0e14a4b99.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1038922)

It sounds really interesting. Wasn't it difficult to read it knowing that who ever of the two of them did it, was free?
I love true crime. One of the best books I have read is The stranger beside me by Ann Rule. It's mindblowing. She was a co-worker of Ted Bundy and also a true-crime writer.

envy_me
07-02-2012, 03:18 PM

BTW, to have read close to half of Brothers Karamazov is a great accomplishment, that book is dense and difficult. Just keep reading, you'll get to the end :-)

DLR Bridge
07-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Ummm...NO.

I'll admit, marriage is way harder than any job I've ever worked, but having made it to the 10 year mark through many peaks and low fuckin' valleys, I'd like to think my better 7/8's is gonna keep my sorry ass for the long haul at this point.

chefcraig
07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
One of the best books I have read is The stranger beside me by Ann Rule. It's mindblowing. She was a co-worker of Ted Bundy and also a true-crime writer.

Ann Rule is extraordinary! Her manner of portraying events and seemingly putting the reader inside them is captivating as hell. For newcomers, check out 2007's compilation Smoke, Mirrors, and Murder. Mind-blowing stuff.

envy_me
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Ann Rule is extraordinary! Her manner of portraying events and seemingly putting the reader inside them is captivating as hell. For newcomers, check out 2007's compilation Smoke, Mirrors, and Murder. Mind-blowing stuff.

I have to do that. I have The want-ad killer, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I have a huge pile of books to plough through. Unfortunately there isn't one single book of Ann that is translated to swedish, and my english isn't very good. But I do what I can, I have read The stranger beside me in english, and it went well.
She is amazing.

When my dad told me that he was reading Anna Karenina really slowly so it wouldn't end, I couldn't understand. But I experienced the same thing with Ann Rule.

jhale667
07-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Ummm...NO.

The theory that Jason Simpson is the actual murderer has been around since day 1. Makes some sense too, as he was more physically able than old, arthritic OJ ( some speculate Ron Goldman wouldve kicked his feeble ass), absolutely HATED Nicole, and was the only other person whose DNA would be that close a match to OJ's...

binnie
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
The Name of The Rose is wonderful - in true Eco style it is a little wordy in places, but well worth savouring.....

VHscraps
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
http://cinemadiscourse.com/cultural/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/11.jpg

bit of light reading ... Air, bubbles, pffff. No, really, fantastic stuff if you are interested in philosophy.

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
The Name of The Rose is wonderful - in true Eco style it is a little wordy in places, but well worth savouring.....

Loved foucalts pendulum ... A great read

Sensible Shoes
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
It hasn't come out in swedish yet, I think it'll come out in september or october. I am SO buying it. If you enjoy that one maybe you'll enjoy The story of O :shy:

Read it years ago. Disturbing ending. "O" makes "Grey" look like a children's book.

guwapo_rocker
07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
If you are going to buy Fifty Shades for your wife, remember to budget for the handcuffs

and blindfold she will eventually TELL you to purchase.

envy_me
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
If you guys like the kind of litterature as Grey and O, do NOT let anybody fool you into buying something by marquis de Sade. It's waay to much, I wouldn't even call it erotic, it's just plain violence. Made me feel sick after couple of pages. It's NOT sexy.

vandeleur
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
If you are going to buy Fifty Shades for your wife, remember to budget for the handcuffs

This all reminds me Of when me and the wife decided to spice up our sex life ... So I went in one night and said .. Honey Any chance we can do that rape fantasy I've always fancied .. She said ..fuck off , I replied that's the spirit
:winkglasses:

envy_me
07-03-2012, 05:11 AM
This all reminds me Of when me and the wife decided to spice up our sex life ... So I went in one night and said .. Honey Any chance we can do that rape fantasy I've always fancied .. She said ..fuck off , I replied that's the spirit
:winkglasses:

Lol... So, did she rape you :D

vandeleur
07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
:)...

ashstralia
07-03-2012, 05:23 AM
'shark attack; greg norman's guide to aggressive golf'

lol

Hardrock69
07-03-2012, 06:24 AM
I read Name Of The Rose a LONG time ago. Kickass book, and I felt the casting in the movie (Sean Connery as the elder monk) was great.

I just finished the latest Carrie Fisher book "Shockoholic" tonight. Not a lengthy book. Fairly hilarious. Knocked it out in 3 hours.
Yesterday I finished "Howling At The Moon", an autobiography of CBS Records mogul Walter Yetnikoff
A few days ago I finished a bio of Charlie Parker written in the early 70s called "Bird Lives" that was a good read about the tragic life of a badass musician.
And just before that I finished "Shout Sister Shout!" a biography of the incredible gospel guitarist and singer Sister Rosetta Tharp.

2 hours ago I started reading "The Illustrated Bloodline Of The Holy Grail", one of many factual historical books that basically demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus had children, the bloodline survived to this day, the Catholic Church have lied to the human race for over 1700 years, and Christianity as a religion is based on a pack of lies. But that has been cussed and discussed in numerous other threads.

That is currently what I am reading.

Am going to start something else tomorrow. I usually read 3-4 books simultaneously. A little of one, then a bit of another, until I get done with them all. Sorta like watching bits and pieces of various shows on Tivo, back and forth, lol.

vandeleur
07-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Man I so couldn't do it that way , I gotta read 1 at a time , gotta get in to it and keep at it . If I put it down for a couple a days its usually a bad sign and I always struggle to get back into it .

Jérôme Frenchise
07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Interesting thread!

I've just finished a novel by Nick Hornby, "How to be good", which was fun, but I was disappointed with the writing itself.

Just before, I had read Ian McEwan's "Solar", and that, on the contrary, was Writing!
It's about a Nobel Prize in Physics, his life throughout the 2000s as he tries to fulfill a project of solar panels, between a series
of conferences, an expedition in the North Pole...
He might be a short, fat aging man, but his love life is still animated. The problem is, his 5th wife wants to divorce, and her lover
is a young colleague of his.
I was completely absorbed in the plot of Michael Beard's chaotic life, loved that book! It's greatly built, and scattered with fine passages
full of humor. The only point I didn't like was the pretty long technical developments here and there.
I was divided between hate and sympathy for him.

I've ordered "An Atonement" by McEwan, but there's some shipping trouble, I'm not even sure to get it before going on vacation, so I've started
"The World according to Garp" by Irving.

This thread should become a classic.

vandeleur
07-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I read solar I'm holiday which was good and very interesting but I read it then read life by Keith Richards which is an absolute Stella read so solar kinda got forgotten about a bit lol

Yount
07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Crazy From The Heat take #64

Seshmeister
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM

It's difficult enough to get her to do the housework without that...

Green Manalishi
07-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm currently reading " Greg Allman - My Cross To Bear " . A very interesting and entertaining read .

I just read the chapter titled " October 29 . 1971 " which is the day his brother and legendary

guitarist Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident in Macon , Georgia . I'll have the entire book

read by this weekend for sure . Cool stuff .

Seshmeister
07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9219/scatinthehatwv8.jpg

VHscraps
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Reading the greatest book about 'the greatest rock'n'roll band' ....

Stanley Booth, The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones. I heartily recommend it to anyone who loves rock'n'roll and how it is so much more than the music:

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172801120l/219024.jpg

A good accompaniment to that is a novel about the Stones, titled Sway by Zachary Lazar:

http://www.rollingstonesarchive.com/Lazar%20Sway%20%20475.jpg

VHscraps
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Erik Davis's book about Led Zeppelin's 4th album - another great book:

http://www.techgnosis.com/zep/images/33ZeppelinIVRGB.JPG

See - http://www.techgnosis.com/zep/index.html (http://www.techgnosis.com/zep/index.html)

Seshmeister
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Does he mention the pedophilia?

VHscraps
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
With the Zep book? No - not directly, as I recall. It's more about the occult side of things.

That whole 70s underage groupie scene has been covered in some other books about Hollywood in the 70s. Barney Hoskyns book, Waiting for the Sun: The Story of the LA Music Scene (that book was published with different subtitles in various versions). The hub of the groupie scene was Rodney Bingenheimer's 'English Disco' (as his club was called). It's been said that those same girls that Page and Bonham (if memory serves correctly) were surrounding themselves with, were involved with all sorts of others. Mainly visiting English bands - Bowie, Marc Bolan.

binnie
07-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Does he mention the pedophilia?

I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.

envy_me
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.

It's called hebephilia. Man we're exploring all sexual perversions in this thread :D

Seshmeister
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM

I guess so and it's not something I really want to dwell on.

I find the Page thing very uncomfortable though as it was he was no spring chicken at the time(30?), it was ongoing and they obviously knew it was wrong or they wouldn't have been smuggling her secretly into hotels. It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...

chefcraig
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.

In Page's defense, at least he didn't go on a world-wide tour of several countries in order to pursue his perversions, only to be arrested and deported from each one. On a related note, I would love to get a copy of this: The Execution of Gary Glitter - WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Execution_of_Gary_Glitter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVtU0eaUlVs

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...

That's more than likely due to the ghastly performance from the China closing ceremony than any character issues. It is somewhat disturbing that guys like Page and Bill Wyman seem to have achieved this odd "elder statesman" kind of status these days.

gbranton
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits

Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.

Northern Girl
07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.

chefcraig
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that.

More than likely she was flashing Jake E. Lee. I recall one of my guitar player's younger sisters (she was around 13 or so) had a massive, shall we say obsessive crush on the guy.

gbranton
07-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.

I agree, Motley is the best. Two factors: (A) it was the 80's and (B) we were standing in front of Jake E Lee, who is a pretty darn cool looking cat.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
The Bible again

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.

Yikes.

My point is though you didn't then fuck her for 6 months and get your manager to cover for you.

And with all due respect I'm guessing you weren't at the time the most famous rock guitarist on the planet with unlimited choices.

In fact aren't you kind of making my point better than I did? :)

Angel
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Speaking of groupies, that's something VH was really careful about when their crew was out "gathering" for their bonuses.

One of them offered a girl (early 20's) next to me a backstage pass, and she totally refused it.

Of course, I offered to take it and the guy looked at me and said "sorry sweetheart, the boys don't want no jailbait". I tried arguing that I wasn't jailbait as the age of consent in Canada at that time was 16. He looked me up and down and said "sorry doll, come back in a few years."

envy_me
07-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Speaking of groupies, that's something VH was really careful about when their crew was out "gathering" for their bonuses.

One of them offered a girl (early 20's) next to me a backstage pass, and she totally refused it.

Of course, I offered to take it and the guy looked at me and said "sorry sweetheart, the boys don't want no jailbait". I tried arguing that I wasn't jailbait as the age of consent in Canada at that time was 16. He looked me up and down and said "sorry doll, come back in a few years."

Man... I'd kick him on the shins, grab the pass and RUN like a Kenyan.

jhale667
07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
https://p.twimg.com/AxGMcrlCIAAbFIS.jpg

Yount
07-06-2012, 01:54 AM

"sorry doll, come back in a few years."

Sounds like a polite way of telling you you're not good enough.;)

If you think that Van Halen never indulged in underage sex you are totally deluding yourself.

Seshmeister
07-06-2012, 07:01 AM
https://p.twimg.com/AxGMcrlCIAAbFIS.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/557066_10150923627989503_2132335335_n.jpg

binnie
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
If you think that Van Halen never indulged in underage sex you are totally deluding yourself.

I'd tend to agree. If not 'underage' then certainly fucking horrific.

You know, your opinions change as you get older and you realise that those 'Gods' we all idealise as kids were probably fucking awful people by virtue of the circumstances which they found themselves in (being idolised etc). The more biographies/autobiographies I read of rockers the more I tend to be very queasy about it all - how much of this stuff was abusive? Was it right that some 18 year old girl had to blow 14 guys just so she could meet the singer? And at what point does consent become blurry? Maybe I'm just become an old fart.....

Some of these bands trade on their reputations (hello Motley Crue). But others seem a little bashful about it. From what I've heard/read Def Leppard were the most outrageous of any of those bands. But you rarely hear them talk about their 'excesses' - perhaps in their 50s they're a little embarrassed by it all. I certainly hope so.....

Seshmeister
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Maybe but to me there is a big difference between a drunk guy at 21 having a one night stand with a 15 year old and a 30 year old having a long term girlfriend who is 14.

binnie
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I think we've just discovered that Sesh is Kristy. :D

Angel
07-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a polite way of telling you you're not good enough.;)

Honey, I was 36-24-36, with a 12 year old face...and I got any and every man I wanted.

I'm saying careful with the ones the roadies were pulling out of the crowd. Those that got backstage by their own means is a completely different story.

ELVIS
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Honey, I was 36-24-36, with a 12 year old face...and I got any and every man I wanted.

What happened to your first face ??

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I am reading "A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s"

VHscraps
07-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Totally unseen VH pics?! I'll be taking a look at this - if only for the pics. I think I've seen some of her photos, and always wondered where / when they were from.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/vhtribute/CouldThisBeMagic.png

See more at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1466929294/ref=rdr_ext_tmb (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1466929294/ref=rdr_ext_tmb)

VHscraps
07-07-2012, 01:45 AM
I believe that is the only pic of Mammoth I have ever seen.

gbranton
07-07-2012, 02:23 AM
I love true crime.

If you love true crime I would recommend "The Onion Field" and "The Blooding", both by Joseph Wambaugh. I am currently reading his new book, "Harbor Nocturne", the fourth in what has been a highly entertaining fictional series about a group of police officers working in Hollywood.

Last book: Vietnam Above the Treetops, A Forward Air Controller's Story.

Next book: Luftwaffe Fighter Ace

VHscraps
07-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Reading it on Kindle - it is a very sparse memoir of the time she knew the guys in the band. She worked for Roth's father at some point, and followed Mammoth and Van Halen around and took pictures, a lot of which are lost (or were given to an early manager).

There's 3 pics of Dave with an acoustic guitar when, in her words, 'he was playing clubs as a solo artist'. She is not very good on remembering dates, but it seems this was probably 1972. One photo from around this time has been in circulation on the internet for years, but these three I have never seen. Interesting to see how Dave is dressed - flared kind of check / tartan strides with turn-ups and platform shoes.

4 pics of Alex, rehearsing at a practice room with Mammoth. These, she says, were taken a year before the performance shot on the cover, which was 1973 - that means 1972.

3 Ed pics from 72-73. Performing at some outdoors highschool venue (1973), and in the rehearsal room (1972). Like the Dave and Alex ones, I have seen one shot before which is not in the book, but has been circulating for years on the internet.

2 pics of Mark Stone at rehearsal (he's on the cover as well), 1972. He has one of those plexi-glass basses.

4 pics of Van Halen on stage - Dave, Ed and Al. She says 'it could be as late as 1975 or 1976', but earlier she says that she never took any photos with Mike Anthony in the band, so it is probably more like '74, before Mike joined. These are interesting for the period detail. Dave has a very glam hairdo that to me says '1973' or '1974'. I remember as a kid when people wore their hair like that. If he wasn't wearing denims, he could fit right into The Sweet, or something.

I'd recommend it - it costs very little on the Kindle.

ZahZoo
07-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm reading the maintenance manual for my Craftsman LT1000 riding mower... good read!! Need to replace the drive belt...

ELVIS
07-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm reading bullshit on the internet...

Angel
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Just finished reading "The Book of Negroes". Fantastic book!!!

I usually don't have time for reading for pleasure. These days it's usually text books, academic journals and scripts.

This was a nice escape, I recommend it highly!

Yount
07-07-2012, 02:19 PM

LOL guys aren't that picky it seems, honey. Post a pic then. Lies, lies!

envy_me
07-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I just ordered a bunch of books by Dalai Lama, my co-worker recommended it, so I might pause The name of the rose, to read at least one of his books. Maybe The art of happiness.

Satan
07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/LettersFromTheEarth.jpg/200px-LettersFromTheEarth.jpg

One of Mark Twain's greatest works, written in character as my Most Unholy self, in the form of letters written to my old friends Gabriel & Michael.

From the book, here's my first letter....

This is a strange place, and extraordinary place, and interesting. There is nothing resembling it at home. The people are all insane, the other animals are all insane, the earth is insane, Nature itself is insane. Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at is worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm. Yet he blandly and in all sincerity calls himself the "noblest work of God." This is the truth I am telling you. And this is not a new idea with him, he has talked it through all the ages, and believed it. Believed it, and found nobody among all his race to laugh at it.

Moreover -- if I may put another strain upon you -- he thinks he is the Creator's pet. He believes the Creator is proud of him; he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes, and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to Him, and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea? Fills his prayers with crude and bald and florid flatteries of Him, and thinks He sits and purrs over these extravagancies and enjoys them. He prays for help, and favor, and protection, every day; and does it with hopefulness and confidence, too, although no prayer of his has ever been answered. The daily affront, the daily defeat, do not discourage him, he goes on praying just the same. There is something almost fine about this perseverance. I must put one more strain upon you: he thinks he is going to heaven!

He has salaried teachers who tell him that. They also tell him there is a hell, of everlasting fire, and that he will go to it if he doesn't keep the Commandments. What are Commandments? They are a curiosity. I will tell you about them by and by.

envy_me
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
...and now I read about one of my favorite artists Fabrizio de Andre and saw that his lyrics are inspired by Edgar Lee Masters - Spoon River Anthology, so now I wanna read that one.
This is hard :-( I want too many things at once...

So I have Decameron and The name of the rose, the two books that I already started reading. And two books that I wanna read.

envy_me
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/LettersFromTheEarth.jpg/200px-LettersFromTheEarth.jpg

One of Mark Twain's greatest works, written in character as my Most Unholy self, in the form of letters written to my old friends Gabriel & Michael.

From the book, here's my first letter....

I love Mark Twain. I always loved Huck Finn.

envy_me
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I just discovered this great thing. Soundbooks. Just by doing nothing, ridin' the bus, today I "read" 2/3 of Candide. I just got an app for my phone, and for about 190 kronas per month I can listen to books. They haven't got that many yet, but they will probably expand.
I read Candide when I was about 11 years old, but then it was just a story, now I understand the thought behind it. Very sad book.

ZahZoo
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Hmmm is listening to someone reading a book... the same as reading it yourself?

Discuss...

ashstralia
07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
i reckon it is and it isn't Zah, just like we don't 'talk' on here...or we do.

or our internal dialogue isn't 'talking to ouselves'... but it is.

i have the flu, and am medicated. glad to be of help!
(or not) :)

envy_me
07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
That is a good question. We need to define what "reading a book" actually means. Is it opening the book and reading the words of the pages, or knowing a book as if you read it and experiencing it first hand. I am not sure. Up till now I have only heard the book I have actually read for real in the past.

binnie
07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I like the tactile quality of books. It's like the CD vs MP3 debate - personally, I prefer the object in my hand.

Dave's Bitch
07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
personally, I prefer the object in my hand.

:bigwink:

Angel
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
You are not reading when using audio books...you are listening.

I tried an audio book once, hated it. I realized I knew the narrator and found I was paying more attention to that than the story she was reading.

ZahZoo
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
i reckon it is and it isn't Zah, just like we don't 'talk' on here...or we do.

or our internal dialogue isn't 'talking to ouselves'... but it is.

i have the flu, and am medicated. glad to be of help!
(or not) :)

That's where I was going... the material being input is the same either way.

But listening involves a completely different brain processing path via sounds through the ear and then on to the central processing zone. Reading involves visual deciphering of symbols and then on to the central processing. But through the different input modes is the exact same message in the end being received? Also is the emotional response identical??

Dave's Bitch
07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I would sooner read a book than have a book read to me by someone else.Reading a book can be a very personal thing in that unless there are pictures you have to use your imagination.What you imagine will be different from what the next person imagines.I have found myself more than once being annoyed when watching the movie of a book i have read because most things are different to how i have pictured them.

chefcraig
07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I would sooner read a book than have a book read to me by someone else.Reading a book can be a very personal thing in that unless there are pictures you have to use your imagination.What you imagine will be different from what the next person imagines.I have found myself more than once being annoyed when watching the movie of a book i have read because most things are different to how i have pictured them.

Precisely. The effect is called the "theater of the mind," and also works to an extent with music. This is why the creation of video destroyed a good deal of people's enjoyment of it, as the clips would depict an interpretation of the songs, removing that part of the process from the listener.

On the other hand, we do a pretty brisk business with books on CD, mostly with folks that have to travel on business by car. They enjoy getting wrapped up in a story, rather than listening to a bunch of preprogramed songs on radio, be it terrestrial or satellite.

Seshmeister
07-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't have time to read if it wasn't for audio books. I have people reading to me on planes, trains, shopping, when I'm driving, sometimes even posting here. :)

Also I find on long car journeys books keep you awake much better than music.

Often I think it's better than reading it yourself like if it's an autobiography read by the writer himself. The thing to watch out for is abridged audio books, especially if it is a novel as they strip all the color and depth out of it.

Nickdfresh
07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd rather stick a fork in my electric sockets than listen to an audio book...

envy_me
07-11-2012, 02:32 PM
That's where I was going... the material being input is the same either way.

But listening involves a completely different brain processing path via sounds through the ear and then on to the central processing zone. Reading involves visual deciphering of symbols and then on to the central processing. But through the different input modes is the exact same message in the end being received? Also is the emotional response identical??

There was one thing that was advantage with listening. When I read a book, more often than not I seem to mistake the tone of voice in the dialogue. I always think stuff like "Why is she so nice to him, when he was a complete jerk towards her?" and similar. But when this guy read it out, he very mildly acted it out. And it all made sense.
And also it was very relaxing to just listen.

I was a sceptic myself, and now I am very happy with how it went. I'll see if I feel the same way after a couple of more books.

envy_me
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
You are not reading when using audio books...you are listening.

I tried an audio book once, hated it. I realized I knew the narrator and found I was paying more attention to that than the story she was reading.

I can relate to that. The foreword to this book was read by a guy with a dialect. He spoke the way they speak in south Sweden, which is very different accent than in Stockholm. It sounds like Danish. And I thought it was all ruined and if that guy was gonna read the book, I might as well give up the whole project. It sounds so ugly. But luckely another guy read the actual book.

envy_me
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM

I NEVER watch movies of the books I read. Even the series I, Claudius, which is a masterpiece is not as good as the book.

Now they are gonna turn my favorite book into a movie: Bel Ami. With Robert Pattinson :puking-smiley: why, god why?? If I happend to see the trailor by mistake, I'll wash my eyes with soap.

But I am not a big movie fan in general. I haven't been to movies for at least 10 years. But for you my italiana, one my favorites of all time is Brutti, sporchi e cattivi :-) Fantastic!!!

ashstralia
07-12-2012, 01:22 AM
this thread's turned into a great read!!

ya know how sometimes you're happily reading away, and then you find yourself reading the same sentence over and over again? i reckon i'd get like that with audio books.

the local abc radio here does a book reading; and i have to shut my eyes to really concentrate on it. funnily enough, when i'm sitting here reading the army whilst playing guitar, i come up with really cool notage that normally wouldn't occur to me... my theory is the reading and comprehension switches off the bit of my brain that analyses my playing. weird.

and yeah, with ya bin; prefer it in my hand.:drum:

envy_me
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I have just started listening to Master and Margaritha. I have read it for real before and it's a great book. There are two different stories going on paralelly, I skip the one I don't like.

fourthcoming
07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Just finished reading 'A Criminal Injustice' ....the Marty Tankleff Story.......fascinating account of a 17 yr old kid falsely accused of murdering his parents on Long Island in 1989. I went to high school with the kid.....went to his house, beach parties.....fascinating how rediculously corrupt the Suffolk county law enforcement and district attorney's office were, have always been, and continue to be to this day.

binnie
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Just finished 'Pale Horse, Pale Rider' by Katherine Anne Porter. It is a collection of 3 novellas first published in the 1930s - beautfiully written, and balancing the point at which good stories become literature. Classic 20th Century US Literature that I'd been meaning to read for years...

Nickdfresh
07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Just finished 'Pale Horse, Pale Rider' by Katherine Anne Porter. It is a collection of 3 novellas first published in the 1930s - beautfiully written, and balancing the point at which good stories become literature. Classic 20th Century US Literature that I'd been meaning to read for years...

Eighteenth and nineteenth century lit is much better, the Romantics were the pinnacle...

binnie
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Eighteenth and nineteenth century lit is much better, the Romantics were the pinnacle...

I'd tend to agree (although I'm not that familiar with US lit before the 20th Century). I've been working backwards with US novels in the 20th Century and enjoying it a great deal. One day I'll get around to the great Russian novelists, but I just don't have the committment for it yet!

When winter comes I always try to read something by Charles Dickens - it's like an annual ritual - because he just doesn't work in the summer (for me, at least).

Northern Girl
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Hmmm is listening to someone reading a book... the same as reading it yourself?

Discuss...

I do both and there is no difference for me.

The person is just reading aloud. They aren't throwing in little comments to sway your imagination to something else.

Having Johnny Depp read Keith Richard's "Life" to me was the only way I could get through that fucking snoozefest. I listened while doing mindless tasks. Kill two birds, you know! Life is moving at warp speed. Have to multitask!

Nickdfresh
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I find Nathanial Hawthorne to be one of the most fluid, psychological and sociologically significant early American Romantic writers. My own lapse in education will be reading The Scarlet Letter shortly...

binnie
07-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Cheers Nick, I'll check out some Hawthorne,

Nickdfresh
07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne featuring a dirty, naughty little MILF Hester Prynne...

Green Manalishi
07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm currently reading " Beyond Band Of Brothers - The War Memoirs Of Major Dick Winters "

written by Major Dick Winters .He was the Commander of Easy Company , 506th. Parachute Infantry

Regiment during World War II .

This is the man and his regiment featured in HBO's outstanding mini-series " Band Of Brothers "

that was produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks . This guy was the real deal . An authentic

hard core American soldier warrior in the the most precarious of times .

Dave's Bitch
08-03-2012, 06:31 AM
I am reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.Fuck it is getting to be a chore.I get the point he is trying to make but it feel's like I am being beaten around the head with it.

Anyone read this one?

vandeleur
08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Yeah .. Tho at the time I enjoyed it am sure .. It was a long time ago mind

Seshmeister
08-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Has anyone read this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg/200px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

I don't usually read Westerns but I've been reading great things about it.

vandeleur
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Only read the road by him ... That was traumatic enough to remind me not to read anything else by him .

fourthcoming
08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Yea....The Road........book and movie were both enjoyable....even if they were depressing as all hell.

vandeleur
08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
In truth am not sure if i enjoyed it or survived it .. i have an little boy who was floating about as i tried to read it and am not sure i didnt finish it out of stubbonness ... when i finished it it left me kinda a drained for the rest of the day i was like fuckin ell ....I have never know a book draw you in so well but fuck there wernt many laughs in it :)

chefcraig
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Yea....The Road........book and movie were both enjoyable....even if they were depressing as all hell.

In truth am not sure if i enjoyed it or survived it .. i have an little boy who was floating about as i tried to read it and am not sure i didnt finish it out of stubbonness ... when i finished it it left me kinda a drained for the rest of the day i was like fuckin ell ....I have never know a book draw you in so well but fuck there wernt many laughs in it :)

I just kept getting the feeling I'd read it before as I plodded through it. Essentially, the same plot is covered in about 3 or 4 Stephen King novels, starting with The Talisman in 1984 (written with Peter Straub) and most recently in the book Cell from 2006. You could also make a case that the outline of The Hunger Games originated in King's The Long Walk, which was published in 1979.

vandeleur
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I just kept getting the feeling I'd read it before as I plodded through it. Essentially, the same plot is covered in about 3 or 4 Stephen King novels, starting with The Talisman in 1984 (written with Peter Straub) and most recently in the book Cell from 2006. You could also make a case that the outline of The Hunger Games originated in King's The Long Walk, which was published in 1979.

there are definitely similarities between the hunger games and the long walk

Nitro Express
08-03-2012, 02:10 PM
"How to make every girl squirt."

Nitro Express
08-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd rather stick a fork in my electric sockets than listen to an audio book...

Is the power on? Grab a fork. :biggrin:

Dave's Bitch
08-03-2012, 03:53 PM

I thought The Hunger Games was like a cross between The Long Walk and The Running Man

vandeleur
08-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I must confess the bairn badgered me to read the 3 hunger games books ... They wernt bad ,they were just what they were , books for kids ...but they wernt terrible

clarathecarrot
08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I always run from a womans house if I see more than one Steven King novel, oh god no, a whole collection!!!..and if there is a effigy or shelf dedicated to Princess Di.

If there is both, I freeze and piss my pants start looking around for a window to dive out of..

That is all I know about books.

So this is love
08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I always run from a womans house if I see more than one Steven King novel, oh god no, a whole collection!!!..and if there is a effigy or shelf dedicated to Princess Di.

If there is both, I freeze and piss my pants start looking around for a window to dive out of..

That is all I know about books.

.....but be prepared ......the woman that have those books are crazy whores in bed so enjoy but you need to plan your escape beforehand...lol

...and I think envy_me is old kristy reincarnated

Angel
08-04-2012, 12:52 AM
.....but be prepared ......the woman that have those books are crazy whores in bed so enjoy but you need to plan your escape beforehand...lol

True, I used to have tons of Stephen King books. ;)

Agreed. :biggrin:

fourthcoming
08-04-2012, 07:50 AM
That's funny you say that DB.....I haven't seen or read Hunger Games....but every time I saw a preview I kept saying to myself......isn't that basically what The Running Man was all about? The Running Man with the late great Richard Dawson I might add.

clarathecarrot
08-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Very true LOL... and add a small but very sexy group of women with, weathered books dogeared coners, very many times read, authorized and/or unauthorized, biographies of serial killers.

It's like your having sex with, Mrs. Satan....lol..

envy_me
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Speaking of 50 shades of grey. I was maybe gonna read it, but I was talking to a friend last night, she said that it is really, REALLY bad. Writing is really poor, as if it was written by a 14-year old.
So, I'm gonna skip this one.

VHscraps
09-07-2012, 03:04 PM
'Trampled Underfoot: The Power and Excess of Led Zeppelin'.

http://faber.co.uk/site-media/onix-images/thumbs/15500_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

What can I say ... while it is a page-turner (no pun intended), and delivers new interview material and interesting insights from people who existed within the Zeppelin orbit in the glory days (it is an Oral History - so it is the textual equivalent of talking heads giving first-hand accounts), Barney Hoskyns latest book is another baffling effort.

I am as much interested - for professional reasons - in how writers approach a subject like this, as I am in the subject itself. I have liked many of Barney's books, but Low-side of the Road, his Tom Waits biography of a couple of years ago seems to have been the start of a drop in quality. It was afflicted by the continuous niggling jibes at its subject, because Waits had supposedly barred his confidantes from speaking to the author. This book is beset by numerous repetitions - the tales of baddies like Richard Cole and Peter Grant, or the stinginess of Jimmy Page seem to reappear chapter after chapter without much point - as the point has already been made emphatically - and it is made worse by the fact that there is no sense of chronology, or of these behavioural traits, incidents, being related to specific events. One minute you think the events that are being retold must be happening around '74 or '75, then all of a sudden it is 1977.

All this in a 600-page book. I don't think it is a coincidence that this book and his previous, on Tom Waits, were published by Faber and Faber, whose stock-in-trade as far as writing about music goes, is the 600-page tome.

Who knows, they may have a special deal on paper, or printing that says 'hey, guys, it is cheaper if you just make it over 500 pages', but the books all seem to have one thing in common - the lack an editor.

Gripes aside, you will enjoy it if you are a Zeppelin fan.

envy_me
09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Page turner :D LOL

envy_me
09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Has anybody read Niceville? Is there a lot of sex in it?

Coyote
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Hotel California by Barney Hoskins.

Cool little book about the West Coast music scene circa 1967-1976.
The Byrds, Joni Mitchell, CSNY, The Eagles, et al.

DONNIEP
09-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Just finished Brad Thor's latest and I have to say I'm disappointed.

Dave's Bitch
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Just re read this bad boy (for about the 30th time)

http://www.loudmag.com.au/images/_Features/9780007324125.jpg

envy_me
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
One of my friends is maybe gonna do a book club and I'm gonna join. I hope this will help me with my frustrating problem of not finishing books that I start to read. I am always extremely enthusiastic in the beginning, but then I lose all interest and it never gets finished. We'll see how it goes.

Dave's Bitch
09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
One of my friends is maybe gonna do a book club and I'm gonna join. I hope this will help me with my frustrating problem of not finishing books that I start to read. I am always extremely enthusiastic in the beginning, but then I lose all interest and it never gets finished. We'll see how it goes.

You should try Dave Mustaine's book ;)

envy_me
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
You should try Dave Mustaine's book ;)

He looks hot in that pic ;-) What's the book like?

When I was about 13 years old, I read Sigmund Freud - The Interpretation of Dreams. So these days I have been watching a show called In Treatment. Amazing show about a psychologist and his patients. That got me inspired to maybe read the book again. So now I've started on that again, it's thick as hell.

Dave's Bitch
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Well I'm pretty biased because Megadeth are my favourite band.Some pretty funny stories in there though so you may enjoy it.Dave call's it as he see's it

envy_me
09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
There are SO many books I wanna read. I even wanna read Sammys book, just to see what the fuss is all about.
The first book in this book club might be Kafka on the shore. So I've ordered that one. I even ordered Niceville, cause many people like it. And also a book from a swedish author, I can't translate the title, but it's about how women see themselves and the roles they put themselves in. About Madonna/whore syndrome, and that you can be both and not be forced to chose. And how society often puts the blame on women, when it shouldn't have. And also about the blame that we as women put on ourselves.

gbranton
09-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Has anyone read this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg/200px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

I don't usually read Westerns but I've been reading great things about it.

The only thing I have read by him was No Country For Old Men. After I read the first third of the book I thought it was great and couldn't wait to read the rest. After the second third I was totally hooked, singing the praises of McCarthy to anyone who would listen, shopping for more of his books and actually a little sad that the pages were flying by so quickly and that I would soon be finished with such a great book............ After I read the ending I thought "What the fuck was THAT lame assed bullshit?" And I haven't read a word by him since. To get to the end of a book that had me up at night anticipating the climactic finalle only to have McCarthy take such a completely random, horseshit way out was appalling. It was like he couldn't think of an ending and just gave up trying after about five minutes, so I am out on old Cormac.

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2012, 04:37 AM
The only thing I have read by him was No Country For Old Men. After I read the first third of the book I thought it was great and couldn't wait to read the rest. After the second third I was totally hooked, singing the praises of McCarthy to anyone who would listen, shopping for more of his books and actually a little sad that the pages were flying by so quickly and that I would soon be finished with such a great book............ After I read the ending I thought "What the fuck was THAT lame assed bullshit?" And I haven't read a word by him since. To get to the end of a book that had me up at night anticipating the climactic finalle only to have McCarthy take such a completely random, horseshit way out was appalling. It was like he couldn't think of an ending and just gave up trying after about five minutes, so I am out on old Cormac.

I know it was mentioned earlier but you should check out The Road by him.I really enjoyed it and cried a little at the end

gbranton
09-13-2012, 04:42 AM
I know it was mentioned earlier but you should check out The Road by him.I really enjoyed it and cried a little at the end

Does the hero get killed by a falling meteorite on the last page, thereby eliminating any possibility of a satisfying conclusion? Hit by a foul ball? Struck by lightning? Step into an open manhole? Maybe get hit by a falling Acme brand anvil?

I cried at the end of No Country... as well, because I had wasted two days of my time and $20.

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2012, 04:50 AM
ha no he does not.It is a strange format though because it has no chapters

fourthcoming
09-13-2012, 08:33 AM
The Road......good book, good movie....both kinda sad. I'm reading Ace Frehley: No Regrets now.

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I liked Ace's book.The finding his way backstage a concert stories made me laugh :)

Va Beach VH Fan
09-13-2012, 09:08 AM
I liked Ace's book.The finding his way backstage a concert stories made me laugh :)

I just finished it, I thought it was decent....

Truthfully, I bought it thinking he was gonna really slam Gene and Paul.... He does that a little bit to Gene, but overall he takes the high road, which I suppose is a compliment to him....

Looking forward to Peter's book that is finally coming out soon....

I'm like 4, and soon to be 5 books behind....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/cyber-war.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/breakaway.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/atdawnweslept.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/evhbook.jpg

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree about taking the high road.I doubt gene would be as gracious.I didn't know peter had a book coming out though.That could be interesting

Va Beach VH Fan
09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/KISSPeter-Crissbook-cover04-12.jpg

gbranton
09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
but overall he takes the high road, which I suppose is a compliment to him....

Looking forward to Peter's book.....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/atdawnweslept.jpg

I thought it showed class on Ace's part, much respect for that just like we all respect Dave for not shitting on Ed in Crazy From the Heat. I am looking forward to Peter's book as well.

I say skip straight to At Dawn We Slept, it is a fantastic book, generally regarded as one of the finest ever written on the subject of Pearl Harbor and said to be the basis for the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora". If you like it, check out Russell Spurr's book, "A Glorious Way To Die".

I also want to read Prange's "God's Samurai: Lead Pilot at Pearl Harbor". I have a print hanging in my office that depicts the lead pilot, Ibo Takahashi about to commence the attack on Pearl Harbor.

http://www.brooksart.com/Pearl755.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I say skip straight to At Dawn We Slept, it is a fantastic book, generally regarded as one of the finest ever written on the subject of Pearl Harbor and said to be the basis for the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora". If you like it, check out Russell Spurr's book, "A Glorious Way To Die".

Yeah man, but it's gonna be a looooooonnnnnnnng read....

gbranton
09-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah man, but it's gonna be a looooooonnnnnnnng read....

LOL, yeah but totally worth it. By the time you get finished you will feel like you were there.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-13-2012, 11:06 PM
LOL, yeah but totally worth it. By the time you get finished you will feel like you were there.

I'll get through it... Always been intrigued by Pearl Harbor....

Angel
09-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Right now, I'm reading "The West" and "Anti-oppressive Social Work Practice". Along with a ton of journal articles on museums and Indigenous peoples. Yup, it's school time again... No more reading for pleasure for me till December.

fourthcoming
09-14-2012, 07:54 AM

I just saw Ace 2 weeks ago at an outdoor show....I'll make sure to let you know when I post the vids on youtube.

envy_me
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
What do you guys think about Haruki Murakami? I am thinking of reading a few of his books.

fourthcoming
09-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I like Hiroki kuroda.....he's having a damn good season for the Yankees. ;)

envy_me
09-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I just read few pages of Niceville. No sex at all. It just seems to be about an older black woman and a skinny, neurotic white woman :-(
On to the feminist book about horny women.

envy_me
09-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Hahaha oh god, this is so hillarious. I was going on and on about "Niceville" when I see now that it is only called Niceville in my country. Original book title is The Help :D
I thought it was strange that nobody here read it :D

envy_me
09-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Read out the book. It sucked. It wasn't feministic, it was an ego book by author who happends to be a woman. It'll burn nice in the fire place in december :-)

I gave in. I started with 50 shades... I knew that I can't expect much, but I often enjoy relaxing Harlequin-novels. Most of them are better then this book. But I haven't gotten to the sex part yet, I'll probably finish it.

Sensible Shoes
09-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Wow you've only read a chapter then - there's sex on every other page after that.....

envy_me
09-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Wow you've only read a chapter then - there's sex on every other page after that.....

Yeah, I started last night, before bed. I just feel I need to picture the guy before I get to sex. I tried to visualise Jon Hamm from Mad Men, but I don't know. Didn't feel right.

Nitro Express
09-23-2012, 01:59 AM
I read 100% Pure Filth. Now I'm reading the sequel called Even More Filthy.

Nitro Express
09-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I started last night, before bed. I just feel I need to picture the guy before I get to sex. I tried to visualise Jon Hamm from Mad Men, but I don't know. Didn't feel right.

What do you have a machine that creates the man you picture in your mind? Hmmm who do I want to fuck tonight?

Nitro Express
09-23-2012, 02:04 AM
I thought it showed class on Ace's part, much respect for that just like we all respect Dave for not shitting on Ed in Crazy From the Heat. I am looking forward to Peter's book as well.

I also want to read Prange's "God's Samurai: Lead Pilot at Pearl Harbor". I have a print hanging in my office that depicts the lead pilot, Ibo Takahashi about to commence the attack on Pearl Harbor.

http://www.brooksart.com/Pearl755.jpg

Ford Island. Even to this day, the pavement has damage from the Japanese planes strafing the air field. I think some of the old hangers are still there.

envy_me
09-23-2012, 02:11 AM
What do you have a machine that creates the man you picture in your mind? Hmmm who do I want to fuck tonight?

Haha, I always picture characters when I read a book. And when the book is supposed to turn me on, it's extra important that it's the right character. Since it can't switch once it's there. And sometimes it's just so wrong. In one of my favorite light erotica novells, I pictured one of dads old army buddies, since the writer described the main character exactly like this guy looks. Now his image is stuck in my head every time I read it, I can't do anything about that and it just feels so wrong.

Nitro Express
09-23-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm just trying to not fall asleep waiting for her to get out of the bathroom.

I have no plans or vision for sex. I just roll with it. It's like motorcycling. You just hop on and ride and have no idea where you are going, how far you are going to go, or when you are going to get there.

envy_me
09-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm just trying to not fall asleep waiting for her to get out of the bathroom.

I have no plans or vision for sex. I just roll with it. It's like motorcycling. You just hop on and ride and have no idea where you are going, how far you are going to go, or when you are going to get there.

I don't mind if a guy falls asleep waiting for me. There are many, many fun ways to wake him up :D Fun for me, that is :D
I'd love to wake the guy up by doing him anally with a dildo. But you can't do that with a one night stand, you have to know the guy first. So guys, if you're not into that, always make sure you sleep on your back ;-)

Angel
09-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I once knew a woman that was into doing guys with dildo's. Blocked her out of my life when I realized she was also a sociopath...

envy_me
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I read 100% Pure Filth. Now I'm reading the sequel called Even More Filthy.

Mmmm Filth sequel :D

Hardrock69
09-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Am reading a biography of Ansel Adams right now. Famous and very great photographer.

Funny paragraph in there when recounting the history of photography. How in the 1840s, after Daguerreotypes were invented....."Daguerreotypes must be developed over the lethal fumes of mercury.......thus eliminating, by their early death, it's practioners..."
:lmao:

Angel
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Am reading a biography of Ansel Adams right now. Famous and very great photographer.

Love his work.

Grant
09-27-2012, 07:00 AM
THE SECOND WORLD WAR by Antony Beevor.

Matt White
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
http://theallureofbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Empire-of-the-Summer-Moon-by-S.C.-Gwynne.jpg

The Comanche were BAD ASSES.....Mounted Warfare, guns & torture....The TEXAS RANGERS...very good book

envy_me
10-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Now we made this bookclub, and the first book is gonna be Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.
It's good to read books I never would have chosen myself. I usually don't read much of Anglo-saxon or American writers. Except for Mark Twain. And I don't like war books. So this is a book I would NEVER chose.
I have high hopes for this one :-) It can be good.

Hardrock69
10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Am at 1965 in my Vincent Price bio. Then, am back into my Pete Townsend auto-bio.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Now we made this bookclub, and the first book is gonna be Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.
It's good to read books I never would have chosen myself. I usually don't read much of Anglo-saxon or American writers. Except for Mark Twain. And I don't like war books. So this is a book I would NEVER chose.
I have high hopes for this one :-) It can be good.

The war is only part of the novel, it's actually far more fantasy and science fiction...

Coyote
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm about halfway through Giacomo Casanovas "The Story Of My Life".
(Penguin Classics abridged version, unfortunately. Looking for the William Trask version as I type...)

chefcraig
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Look up the words "voracious reader" (or compulsive dipshit) in an online dictionary, and more than likely you'll find an image of my avatar. Translated, this means that for every decent book you folks have read, I've managed to go through about 10-11 gag-inducers. Seriously, the literary world is full of rotting tripe these days, or so it would seem. Hell, I have a running joke at work that the worthless hack James Patterson awakes each day, goes into a Starbucks, then asks aloud "OK, who wants to write a book for me?"

So to find something worthwhile takes some effort, and this is absolutely terrific. Garner's tales from his start in acting, the making of The Great Escape, Maverick and The Rockford Files are worth the cost of admission, yet you get so much more. For instance, his involvement with the Civil Rights Movement, his take on celebrity, his frustrations with golf (shared by many, including assholes such as myself), auto racing, politics...it just gets better with each and every chapter.

The guy has the rare grace and dignity to admit that yeah, he's gotten by on a great deal of luck and a minimum of talent. And he's OK with that. A rare find, and truly recommended.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/89/5a14d2a00a2c26a1d6b782abeba486a1.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1073591)

DONNIEP
10-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Just finished Van Halen Exuberant California, Zen Rock 'N Roll. Great book - everybody should grab a copy.

Dave's Bitch
11-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Reading a pretty interesting book called Seeing by Jose Saramago. Basically it is election day but only a handful of people have turned up.So they are counting up and 72% of the votes are completely blank (not spoiled).They hold it again 8 days later and the results are worse.The authorities panic and leave the city and put it under a state of siege.It is pretty interesting so far but sometimes a little hard to follow because it is translated from Portuguese

VHscraps
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Reading a pretty interesting book called Seeing by Jose Saramago. Basically it is election day but only a handful of people have turned up.So they are counting up and 72% of the votes are completely blank (not spoiled).They hold it again 8 days later and the results are worse.The authorities panic and leave the city and put it under a state of siege.It is pretty interesting so far but sometimes a little hard to follow because it is translated from Portuguese

I haven't read that, but I did read about gen years ago another of his books, titled 'Blindness'. It was really good - about an epidemic of blindness overtaking a city and all that happens as a result.

Dave's Bitch
11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I haven't read that, but I did read about gen years ago another of his books, titled 'Blindness'. It was really good - about an epidemic of blindness overtaking a city and all that happens as a result.

Yea I have read Blindness too.I really enjoyed it.The first half in the asylum i thought was kind of like an adult lord of the flies.This one is a kind of sequel in that it is the same city and they mention the white blindness a few times.I am only about a third into this one but so far I am enjoying it

envy_me
11-18-2012, 08:26 AM
The war is only part of the novel, it's actually far more fantasy and science fiction...

I really have hard time finishing this book. I like the fantasy part very much, but the war part is killing me. He might as well have just written "We suffered, then we suffered some more, then it got worst, we were really suffering, we are still suffering, etc, etc". Really pointless. And I am annoyed by "so it goes"-thing.
But the way philosophy behind the aliens way of thinking is really interesting.

envy_me
11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Look up the words "voracious reader" (or compulsive dipshit) in an online dictionary, and more than likely you'll find an image of my avatar. Translated, this means that for every decent book you folks have read, I've managed to go through about 10-11 gag-inducers. Seriously, the literary world is full of rotting tripe these days, or so it would seem. Hell, I have a running joke at work that the worthless hack James Patterson awakes each day, goes into a Starbucks, then asks aloud "OK, who wants to write a book for me?"

That is one of the reasons I generally avoid Swedish and American authors. In sweden there are many writers who are only published in swedish for sweden, which doesn't really convince me. It's easy being a big fish in a small bowl. Same with USA, the market is too big, and many pass by just cause there's room. I like older classics, russians, some french. I mean, who'd read a russian book in the west if it wasn't freaking fantastic.
(I am not saying that russian authors aren't good, on the contrary, I am talking about the attitude in west).

BigBadBrian
11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EXK1U4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0425252698&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A4N9K8E5G1VB4NKNR3M

Nickdfresh
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I really have hard time finishing this book. I like the fantasy part very much, but the war part is killing me.

The book deals heavily with the psychological damage of post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD. Much of it is autobiographical as Kurt Vonnegut was captured during the last major battle of the war fought in the West--the battle of the Bulge...

He might as well have just written "We suffered, then we suffered some more, then it got worst, we were really suffering, we are still suffering, etc, etc". Really pointless. And I am annoyed by "so it goes"-thing.
But the way philosophy behind the aliens way of thinking is really interesting.

How would you have him picture war? Vonnegut is a slightly absurdest, postmodernist and very much antiwar understandably. He witnessed the horrific aftereffects of the infamous Dresden raid in which a great German city was bombed and burned in a firestorm, and is very controversial to this day as some say it was an Allied war-crime. Without getting into that, I think Vonnegut fell into the trap laid by David Irving, who widely exaggerated the numbers of Germans killed in the raid. He stated, using Nazi sources, that over 100,000 people were killed and burned alive. Real historians put the number more at about less than 30,000. Either way, it wasn't a pleasant stay he had cleaning up, I'm sure.

One of the incidents in the book that sticks in my mind was the absurdity of the German authorities executing an American POW for looting because he took a teapot from a burnedout building or something, yet they protected the American POW's whose Air Force had done the killing. Personally, my favorite book about WWII is the absurdest comic novel Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

The UFO stuff is somewhat derived from an overnight radio show in NYC that often featured discussions of UFO's and the paranormal...

Nitro Express
11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I thought post-tramatic distress was overcoming the illness from seeing Sammy Hagar live.

chefcraig
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I thought post-tramatic distress was overcoming the illness from seeing Sammy Hagar live.

It's Post-traumatic stress disorder, you imbecile. And it isn't a subject of humor.

My brother served two tours of duty in Vietnam, and came home a shell of himself and pretty much as a basket case. His enduring alcoholism and general paranoia devastated our family, along with anyone else he happened to encounter. He continued to wreck lives until he managed to drop dead from a seizure during Thanksgiving at our dinner table a few years ago (Yeah, the holidays are fairly unenthusiastically embraced around my house, as a result).

There is no joke to be found in the subject, at least from my point of view. Next time you wanna make a Hagar joke, think along the lines of puke inducing diarrhea. Unquestionably unpleasant, but merely something that will eventually go away given time.

PSTD endures, to the waking, living nightmare of those that suffer from it, and to all that have to cope with it's existence. It is a devastating, crippling trauma that one does not even have to go to war in order to experience. Yup, you can get a lethal dose by merely wandering or driving to a shopping mall.

So fuck you.

Nickdfresh
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Not too mention the numbers of vets returning from the current wars having difficulty finding employment, and even housing in some cases...

envy_me
11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
How would you have him picture war?

He did picture war amazingly. I might have forgotten to mention that I don't like war books. I would never have read this one if I wasn't in a book club, and it was chosen.
I have hard time reading about people suffering. It affects me too much, that is why I don't read books about war.
I also had to struggle through Karamazovs, it is just too depressing. Fantastic book, but makes me sad.

BigBadBrian
11-24-2012, 06:33 AM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320542416l/727664.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
11-24-2012, 06:37 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HKdMQIez4RI/TqlMxMrg_yI/AAAAAAAAB00/IVlwsE5x28I/s400/My%2BLife%2BBy%2BBill%2BClinton.jpg

envy_me
11-24-2012, 06:57 AM
I really wanna recommend a fantastic book to you guys. You won't regret reading it.

The Twelve Chairs by Ilf & Pertov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Chairs

envy_me
11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Next book is Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.

Has anyone read it?

PETE'S BROTHER
11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
hey kwame k! :headlights: :tongue0011:

Zing!
11-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Just picked up Keef's "Life" today. Looking forward to digging in starting tonight!

vandeleur
11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Zing dude that's a cracking read

DavidLeeNatra
11-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Just picked up Keef's "Life" today. Looking forward to digging in starting tonight!

great read! enjoy

Nickdfresh
11-25-2012, 10:38 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/102310000/102317660.jpg

Reading A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam

Coyote
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM
David Deida's "The Way Of The Superior Man"

Very uplifting material here...

vandeleur
11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Just finished lamb the gospel according to biff.
Chefcraig and angel recommended it.
Really enjoyed it , managed to mix funny and thoughtful at the same time. Good read :)

BigBadBrian
12-04-2012, 02:24 PM
No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PetsT%2B62L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Angel
12-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Food Sovereignty In Canada. I'm getting really sick of text books!!!!

DONNIEP
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey Angel - what's up with Gunderson?? Damn, it's been long enough... :)

Angel
12-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey Angel - what's up with Gunderson?? Damn, it's been long enough... :)

They've re-mastered all the episodes. It's up to the distributor now. Last I heard, was a couple of weeks from now. They keep pushing it back... Hopefully it's out before Christmas.

Matt White
12-06-2012, 07:08 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dGXz13sIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

LoungeMachine
12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I just finished Eric Clapton's autobiography, and was about to start in on James Garner's when I got a surprise package from Amazon today with Ron Paul's book in it.....

:gulp:

Addressed to Lounge Machine :lmao:

Dr. Love
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Lucky!!

Dr. Love
12-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm reading this series:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iRgb-LrriTc/TvJ9dItWtjI/AAAAAAAAEag/V9qHWfwYJcw/s1600/WoT%2BLogo.jpg

It's a great fantasy series that explores the idea of a man who is told one day that he's destined to save humanity... but in the process, he will go insane, kill everyone he ever loved and die. It's his journey of coming to terms with his fate and the knowledge that he has lived this same story thousands of times, and is fated to live it thousands more.

BigBadBrian
12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Just finished The Outpost, a story about an American combat outpost (COP KEATING) with 53 soldiers that was attacked by upwards of 400 Taliban/al Qaeda/HIG (another terrorist group in Afdghanistan) fighters. Gripping. It happened only 3 years ago, in Oct of 2009.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i3C4p%2BMyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

vandeleur
12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Just been clearing out the loft a bit to hide the kids toys until Xmas , and in amongst the stuff to take to the charity shop I find this bad boy. So guess what I will be reading this week .

Zing!
12-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice! I've got the hardcover first edition of CFTH, but I'd like to find the paperback for traveling. It's like a survival manual, or guidebook for life. I can flip to any given page while on the road and just start reading.

philouze
12-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Reading your posts right now. Boring as shit.
Nah, just kidding !!!

BigBadBrian
12-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Just started Seal Target Geronimo, which is about the bin Laden "kill" raid. It supposedly contradicts the US Government official account of the raid. The author is a former SEAL and has many friends/contacts in Seal Team 6.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WTddsisyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

binnie
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Just finished 'The Crimson Petal & The White' by Michael Faber.

A novel set in Victorian London centred around one man's affair with a prostitute. I enjoyed it, but was left a little unsatisfied - plenty of homages to Dickens and well worth your time if you can handle the rather graphic subject matter.

Coyote
12-19-2012, 09:35 PM
David Deida's "The Way Of The Superior Man"

Very uplifting material here...

After having read this through, my view on women has changed.
Why most of them give us guys shit tests, why a majority never seem satisfied (in a spiritual sense)... It's all there, and it makes sense.

envy_me
12-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Next book is Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.

Has anyone read it?

DON'T read this book. I am supposed to be reading it right now, but I'm doing everything else instead.

envy_me
12-21-2012, 04:56 PM
After having read this through, my view on women has changed.
Why most of them give us guys shit tests, why a majority never seem satisfied (in a spiritual sense)... It's all there, and it makes sense.

Could you explain a little more?

Northern Girl
01-11-2013, 06:20 AM

I finally broke down and read Fifty Shades of Grey after hearing bad reviews. I don't know what to think. The writing is horrible and I wanted to smack Ana upside the head a million times. The sex gets boring after awhile, yet I was definitely engaged and interested to what happens in #2. I definitely understand why bored, sexually repressed housewives are eating these up; and I also understand the criticism too. I guess this is one of those guilty pleasures. Like I know I'm too smart to think much of this, but still intrigued. I kept waiting for more story to break out. There were enough hints to keep me interested to go on. So I'll bite and read the next one.

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2013, 07:20 AM
The Death Of Grass by John Christopher.About halfway through but so far it is pretty good

Seshmeister
01-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Does it still stand up without seeming dated?

I read it in English at school many years ago.

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
It is a little dated in the language they use,For example the way they speak about the Chinese but that aside it is not too bad.You can tell it was written in the 50's but it is not preventing me from enjoying the story and picturing it all playing out

Coyote
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Could you explain a little more?

Paraphrasing, a man should never think his woman's testing is going to end and his life will get easier. Rather, he should appreciate that she does these things to feel his strength, integrity and openness. As he grows, so will her testing. Because she wants to feel the man living at his fullest.

Buy it and read the rest of it yourself... :P

vandeleur
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
The Death Of Grass by John Christopher.About halfway through but so far it is pretty good

Pretty cool book I read it at school back in the day and borrowed a friends version a couple of years ago .

lesfunk
01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I just finished Ian Gillan's autobiography. Enjoyed it

Kristy
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
The book I'm reading right now is:

'Failed Musicians: Why Don't They Do Society A Favor And Up And Fucking Kill Themselves?'

Good prose, this.

Pink Spider
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
After being highly recommended by FORD...I thought I would pick this one up.

http://i.imgur.com/qcljz.jpg?1

;)

Zing!
01-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Finished up Keef's bio - a stellar tome that deserves to be on every bookshelf (maybe deserving of a more lengthy review at a later date). Got this on deck. A late X-mas present that just came in the mail. Santa put Zloz's other =VH= book under the tree as well. A quick read, but damn good times!

envy_me
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
I am gonna start on How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. It's for the book club. I hope it's good, or at least fun.

Zing!
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I am gonna start on How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. It's for the book club. I hope it's good, or at least fun.

I would think you already have some insight on that subject, no?

WARF
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm reading a label...

It says Smirnoff... 80 proof...

envy_me
01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I would think you already have some insight on that subject, no?

Haha, I thought that it was enough just being born with a vagina. But sometimes when things are just falling apart and your confidence fails you, it's nice to read a girl-power book, just so you know you're not alone.
I love these empowering books, like He's just not that into you. I don't know how many times I've read it. Goes well with wine, lol. But I just realized I must have lost my copy, I can't find it anywhere. And i even highlighted the good parts... :-(

I really hope this book is fun.

Zing!
01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm reading a label...

It says Smirnoff... 80 proof...

I've read it. It had a damn good ending!

DLR Bridge
01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm reading a label.....

Same here. This one says, "Samuel Adams proudly brewed & bottled by the Boston Beer Company Seasonal Brew Winter Lager"

Phew. My eyes need a drink brake.

lesfunk
01-12-2013, 02:13 AM

'Failed Musicians: Why Don't They Do Society A Favor And Up And Fucking Kill Themselves?'

Good prose, this.You forgot FAT

Nickdfresh
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM

Good prose, this.

You should try this!:

The Wine Box: How to Choose Wine for Every Occasion (http://www.valorebooks.com/textbooks/the-wine-box-how-to-choose-wine-for-every-occasion-book-in-a-box/9781859061794?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle)

Hardrock69
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I am reading a bio of Joey Ramone right now written by his brother.

Kristy
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
You forgot FAT

It's F A T

As in FAT

Hardrock69
01-12-2013, 04:23 PM
What is the fucking difference between FAT and FAT you ignorant kunt?

PETE'S BROTHER
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
You forgot FAT

you forgot to space it out, F A T

Anonymous
01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm readin' the Hobbit again. Then, Treasure Island & I'll be done with the two obligatory yearly books.

Whatever I can get my hands on next. Any recommendations? Any book that everyone should read at least once?

Cheers! :bottle:

Hardrock69
01-15-2013, 04:09 AM
You ever read Canterbury Tales?

The completely unedited version is the one to have.

Am going to re-read it soon. Have not read it in 20 years, but I recall I thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it the first time.

Northern Girl
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I finally broke down and read Fifty Shades of Grey after hearing bad reviews. I don't know what to think. The writing is horrible and I wanted to smack Ana upside the head a million times. The sex gets boring after awhile, yet I was definitely engaged and interested to what happens in #2. I definitely understand why bored, sexually repressed housewives are eating these up; and I also understand the criticism too. I guess this is one of those guilty pleasures. Like I know I'm too smart to think much of this, but still intrigued. I kept waiting for more story to break out. There were enough hints to keep me interested to go on. So I'll bite and read the next one.

Definitely got soooo much better. Half way through the last volume. My body aches from sitting for hours on end reading, but I can't put it down. Speaking of which, I must get back to it...

Anonymous
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
You ever read Canterbury Tales?

The completely unedited version is the one to have.

Am going to re-read it soon. Have not read it in 20 years, but I recall I thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it the first time.

I took a look at Wikipedia, that sounds interesting.

I'll have to buy it - like I do all books, the only medium I still buy, after being repeatedly fucked over by CDs & DVDs. How the fuck do they expect us to buy overpriced, cumbersome, insulting crap when the free is much more convenient & easy to use? Fuckin' lunatics.

Thanks for the suggestion, H69!

Cheers! :bottle:

Zing!
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Just read 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' and 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' by Mark Twain back to back before I tackle Zloz's 'Eddie Van Halen' book. Had to get a fix of Twain - would like to get my hands on a copy of 'Tom Sawyer Abroad' and 'Tom Sawyer, Detective' some time, as they're about the only books by Sam Clemens I have yet to read. I think there's a third, unfinished story called 'Tom And Huck Among the Indians' I might have track down as well. Anyone read these later Tom & Huck books? Are they worth the effort?

envy_me
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
How to be a woman is FANTASTIC!!! I love Caitlin Moran!! Even the guy in our book club loved the book.

envy_me
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Just read 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' and 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' by Mark Twain back to back before I tackle Zloz's 'Eddie Van Halen' book. Had to get a fix of Twain - would like to get my hands on a copy of 'Tom Sawyer Abroad' and 'Tom Sawyer, Detective' some time, as they're about the only books by Sam Clemens I have yet to read. I think there's a third, unfinished story called 'Tom And Huck Among the Indians' I might have track down as well. Anyone read these later Tom & Huck books? Are they worth the effort?

I LOVE Mark Twain!!! He is one of the few american authors thar I've read. I perfer Huck over Tom Sawyer.
Have you read The Mysterious Stranger? Fantastic book!

envy_me
02-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Has anybody read Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre? I just got it today, and I CAN'T WAIT to read it. Unfortunatelly, because if this book club I won't have time for a while.
Has anybody here read it? Was it good? Come on, I'm dying to know... It seems SO interesting.

Nickdfresh
02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Has anybody read Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre? I just got it today, and I CAN'T WAIT to read it. Unfortunatelly, because if this book club I won't have time for a while.
Has anybody here read it? Was it good? Come on, I'm dying to know... It seems SO interesting.

Yes. And it causes nausea. I'm not a huge fan of French existentialism, though I like Camus and The Stranger... :)

envy_me
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes. And it cause nausea... :)

Lol :D Really? Tell more :D

Nickdfresh
02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Years since I read it in college, I just recall a guy wandering around being nauseous all the time at things like watching people leaving church on Sunday...

P.S.: I could be mistaken, but I found it a tad overly preachy and instructive...