PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama Cites Jesus as Model for Citizenship

Satan
07-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Jun 29, 2012 11:53am
Michelle Obama Cites Jesus as Model for Citizenship

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/ap_michelle_obama_episcopal_church_lpl_120629_wblo g.jpg

First lady Michelle Obama Thursday offered a rare public reflection on her religious faith, telling a conference of the African Methodist Episcopal church that the life of Jesus Christ is a model for democratic organizing.

“It’s kind of like church,” Obama said. “Our faith journey isn’t just about showing up on Sunday for a good sermon and good music and a good meal. It’s about what we do Monday through Saturday as well, especially in those quiet moments, when the spotlight’s not on us, and we’re making those daily choices about how to live our lives.

“We see that in the life of Jesus Christ. Jesus didn’t limit his ministry to the four walls of the church,” she said. “He was out there fighting injustice and speaking truth to power every single day. He was out there spreading a message of grace and redemption to the least, the last, and the lost. And our charge is to find Him everywhere, every day by how we live our lives.”

Obama, who is not a regular churchgoer, said citizenship like the practice of faith is “not a once-a-week kind of deal.”

“Democracy is also an everyday activity,” she said. “And being an engaged citizen should once again be a daily part of our lives.”

The first lady said such engagement involved “the tireless, the thankless, relentless work of making change, you know, the phone-calling, letter-writing, door-knocking, meeting-planning kind of work.”

Her appearance at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, Tenn., was dubbed an official event by the White House to recognize the history and legacy of the AME church, particularly its role in the civil rights movement.

“Time and again, history has shown us that there is nothing – nothing – more powerful than ordinary citizens coming together for a just cause,” Obama said. “And that is particularly true of folks in the AME church.”

The first lady concluded her trip to Tennessee with a campaign fundraiser in Memphis.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/michelle-obama-cites-jesus-as-model-for-citizenship/

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Is this a July 4 fools joke ??

Satan
07-05-2012, 03:51 AM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I wonder who wrote that piece of propaganda for her...

sadaist
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
telling a conference of the African Methodist Episcopal church

Our.....we.....us.....we’re.....

Racist

ashstralia
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
how's that separation of church and state going for you guys and girls, then?

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
The Obama supporters are silent...

Satan
07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Racist

It's a fact that Sunday mornings are still the most segregated time in the US. But I'm not sure it's even about racism anymore. The Black folks don't go to the White churches because the music sucks!

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Another line of bullshit you just made up ??

There are mixed churches all across this country...

The church I go to is mixed...

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Anyway, I guess the liberals scattered (as usual) at the mention of Jesus...

Satan
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Hopefully you let the African Americans handle the music.

Even the Devil can appreciate a good old Gospel song.

And BTW, I didn't make anything up..... http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/06/why-sunday-morning-remains-americas-most-segregated-hour/

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
No, it's a group of the pastor and a mix of young and older white guys and gals...

They're not bad, actually...

Even the black people dance...

Satan
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
The real question here, is how the church in question is both Methodist and Episcopal.

Episcopal being the US version of the Anglican Church, and more or less "Catholic Lite". And Methodist being a mainline Protestant denomination.

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 11:48 AM
The church's roots are of the family of Methodist churches. Methodism provides an orderly system of rules and regulations and places emphasis on a plain and simple gospel.

Episcopal refers to the form of government under which the church operates. The chief executive and administrative officers of the African Methodist Episcopal denomination are the Bishops of the church.

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 02:34 PM
No concern that Michell is saying to use so called "superstition" as the model for democratic organization ??

Satan
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
The current version of the "Democratic" party believes in several superstitions.

The existence of a worldwide terrorist boogieman, for example. Or the concept of healthcare being handled by barely regulated corporations. Or that a "war" against a plant can be won.

All of which are right wing Republican ideas, but the false "Democrats" (including Michelle's husband) embrace them all the same.

Ironically, JC wouldn't embrace any of these stupid doctrines.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Anyway, I guess the liberals scattered (as usual) at the mention of Jesus...

Actually, "liberals" don't have a problem with Jesus..just the assholes like you that claim to speak for him...

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
LMAO !!

:biggrin:

BigBadBrian
07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually, "liberals" don't have a problem with Jesus..just the assholes like you that claim to speak for him...

You mean like the asshole quoted below who speaks for him all the time?

Ironically, JC wouldn't embrace any of these stupid doctrines.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
No, Brie...A*holes like you and ELBOW...hate-filled, judgemental, faux-christians.

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Everyone is judgemental...

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Fruitcakes AND nutjobs...

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
http://bigpropaganda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/obama-jesus.jpg

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Ironically if there had been a Jesus character he would have looked more like Obama than the pretend Western art version.

Satan
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Ironically if there had been a Jesus character he would have looked more like Obama than the pretend Western art version.

Elvis will shit a brick if he finds this guy waiting for him at the Pearly Gates......

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/gleeguest-6.jpg

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
According to the story he was an unmarried man in his 30s who had never got married and hung around with a bunch of guys who gave him foot massages...

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
According to the story he was an unmarried man in his 30s who had never got married and hung around with a bunch of guys who gave him foot massages...

Nice little bit of blasphemy we have going on here. No worries though Sesh, he died for you as well.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Which part of my post was blasphemous to you?

Satan
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Since I'm The Devil and I'm already spending eternity in Hell, I can laugh at what Sesh says.

But JC wasn't gay. He just wasn't into the groupie chicks that threw themselves at Him. I mean, you think chicks dig rock stars, imagine what happens when they see the Son of God.

And I don't do so bad my Most Unholy self either. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d065.gif

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Which part of my post was blasphemous to you?

The part where you question His existence, then insinuate He's queer for starters.

Psalm 14:1

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
How do you know he wasn't gay, he says a lot in the stories and never once condemns being gay which is surprising considering how important an issue it seems to be to people?

It was also unheard of in those days for a Jew to be unmarried at that age.

As far as the existence thing, well there aren't any contemporary sources for that but we can skip over that as is the tradition.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Also I'll see your Psalm 14:1 and raise you a 1 Corinthians 11:14... :)

Bible verses, you can use them for anything.

Guitar Shark
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm really amused to see the Jesus supporter using the term "queer"

Got a Psalm reference for that one?

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Amused but maybe not surprised?

Satan
07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Paul had some really weird hangups about trivial shit like haircuts. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
The bible clearly calls homosexuality an obomination, or sin. So how could Jesus be without sin, if he were gay?

What's wrong with my use of the word "queer"? Wasn't meant to be offensive, but if it is, substitute w/ whatever is PC.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I find it very very odd that people call this crazy shit the word of god but don't seem to have even read most of it.

If I thought that these books were the word of god and if I didn't get the rules right I would be tortured for eternity I would be getting a haircut and not working on Sunday before I even considered whether or not to fuck men in the ass.

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
What's wrong with my use of the word "queer"?

These homos pretend to be very sensitive when it fits their agenda...

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
The bible clearly calls homosexuality an obomination, or sin. So how could Jesus be without sin, if he were gay?

My understanding was that Jesus supposedly/conveniently overwrote the old testament laws about not eating shellfish, wearing clothes of different cloth, eating pigs and all that crazy shit. He never mentioned fucking men in the ass so why not?

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I find it odd that someone with 7 posts in 8 years shows up to start trying to debate theology on a Roth site... :headlights:

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
These homos pretend to be very sensitive when it fits their agenda...

Never heard it called that before. :)

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I find it odd that someone with 7 posts in 8 years shows up to start trying to debate theology on a Roth site... :headlights:

Roth hmmm.

Sounds like a Jewish name to me...

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Roth hmmm.

Sounds like a Jewish name to me...

Just WHAT are you implying, BLASPHEMER???? :lmao:

Angel
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM

What's wrong with my use of the word "queer"? Wasn't meant to be offensive, but if it is, substitute w/ whatever is PC.

Actually, queer is PC. Covers the entire GLBTT community.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:22 PM

M'kay, since you're the default authority on the subject around here, takin' your word for it... :bigwink:

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Obviously I don't recognise blasphemy as a concept but can any Christian apart from a catholic even try to use it?

chefcraig
07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Paul had some really weird hangups about trivial shit like haircuts. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUv4XQoqp-0&feature=related

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:24 PM

I prefer 'She drinks from the furry cup' but with modern pubic fashions it is sounding less relevant these days.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Obviously I don't recognise blasphemy as a concept but can any Christian apart from a catholic even try to use it?

It's not a specifically Catholic term... supposedly anyone who questions, denies the existence of, or ridicules god is a blasphemer... that's pretty conveniently broad, don't ya think? :D

I prefer 'She drinks from the furry cup' but with modern pubic fashions it is sounding less relevant these days.

I was reading somewhere recently that disturbing trend is (thankfully) on it's way out... which if so does suggest the possibility of a benevolent diety... :biggrin:

:guitar:

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM

I didn't start this thread. I'm just stating my opinion on the subject at hand.

Satan
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking this is one of our returning troll champions. And we all remember which one of them was religious.

Breakout the shithead avatars..... she's baaaaaaaack! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

chefcraig
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM

"He pitches for the other team" is a good one. I also thought "light in the loafers" was funny as well, until I saw Gary Cherone on stage with VH. Pretty much destroyed the visual right then and there.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I didn't start this thread. I'm just stating my opinion on the subject at hand.

And the first thing out of the gate is "blasphemer"? Lighten up, Francis...

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I find it very very odd that people call this crazy shit the word of god but don't seem to have even read most of it.

If I thought that these books were the word of god and if I didn't get the rules right I would be tortured for eternity I would be getting a haircut and not working on Sunday before I even considered whether or not to fuck men in the ass.

I read it pretty regularly, but I am far from a scholar. As for the rest of your post, I Corinthians 1:18

Look, I'm not trying to be adversarial in any sense, and God doesn't need me defending Him. But I can say that after 17 years of being a Christian, that I believe everything He said. I don't understand all of it and that's why it requires faith. I dont understand electricity either, but I'm not going to sit in the dark until I do.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
:doh: Here we go...

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
It's not a specifically Catholic term... supposedly anyone who questions, denies the existence of, or ridicules god is a blasphemer... that's pretty conveniently broad, don't ya think? :D

I know but it's kind of silly isn't it since all the non catholic Christians are based on a blasphemy just one that they choose to ignore.

Isn't that always the way with blasphemy?

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I know but it's kind of silly isn't it since all the non catholic Christians are based on a blasphemy just one that they choose to ignore.

Isn't that always the way with blasphemy?

They're all ignoring some bit of it or another...

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
And the first thing out of the gate is "blasphemer"? Lighten up, Francis...

That's what it is. Facts and stuff.

That's fine. Again, not trying to be "that guy".

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
That's what it is. Facts and stuff.

That's fine. Again, not trying to be "that guy".

You already are, and no it's not.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I read it pretty regularly, but I am far from a scholar. As for the rest of your post, I Corinthians 1:18

Look, I'm not trying to be adversarial in any sense, and God doesn't need me defending Him. But I can say that after 17 years of being a Christian, that I believe everything He said. I don't understand all of it and that's why it requires faith. I dont understand electricity either, but I'm not going to sit in the dark until I do.

Sorry this is a forum here where we tend to kid or be more forthright you may get in a real life situation so I apologise in advance if what I post sounds aggressive because in real life people usually pussy foot around religious belief systems.

Ok.

Electricity is entirely and almost exactly the worst example you could have given there. If you chose to spend the time you could learn how electricity worked, you could generate your own electricity and you could replicate the scientific findings of hundreds of years. It's not fucking magic and it does not require 'faith'. It can also be seen to do shit like allow you to post on here unlike faith.

Lets try a different way of looking at this. Do you believe in Thor? Do you believe in Zeus? If not why not?

If it is the bible which is the only thing that Christians have, then which bits? You can't believe all of it for a number of reasons not least the fact it doesn't agree with itself a lot.

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
They're all ignoring some bit of it or another...

The majority of it even but my point is that all the non catholic sects started out as blasphemers.

chefcraig
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
If it is the bible which is the only thing that Christians have, then which bits? You can't believe all of it for a number of reasons not least the fact it doesn't agree with itself a lot.

I liked the part when Clemenza says "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." And when Sonny says "I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hands, alright?" it's truly epic.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
The majority of it even but my point is that all the non catholic sects started out as blasphemers.

Yep, and anyone that dares question or worse, have an independent thought is a blasphemer too! ... I'm kind of to the point where trying to debate fundagelicals is tiresome. How do you debate someone who's willing to suspend logic and reason, and then fault you for criticizing them? The "I don't need facts to support my belief" argument...just...ugh.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6prgx4zl11qewlb7o1_400.jpg

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm kind of to the point where trying to debate fundagelicals is tiresome. How do you debate someone who's willing to suspend logic and reason, and then fault you for criticizing them?

Telling someone to die in a fire is hardly debating...

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Questioning God is not, of itself, blasphemy. Jesus asked God why.

Sesh, thanks for having a reasonable discussion and you make some valid points.

Satan
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Yes. Nobody should die in a fire.

They should die, THEN be in the fire. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Angel
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
M'kay, since you're the default authority on the subject around here, takin' your word for it... :bigwink:

Actually, learned that one in one of my classes this spring, lol.

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Education dollars well spent, eh ??

Seshmeister
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Questioning God is not, of itself, blasphemy. Jesus asked God why.

Sesh, thanks for having a reasonable discussion and you make some valid points.

It's a long journey for many people to come to some sort of a way of looking at life the universe and everything.

I would recommend just venturing out with the bubble and reading out with whatever religion you have been brought up with.

At the same time just reading the bible independently cover to cover not just the popular passages most preachers use tends to change the way you may think.

I'm not playing clever games here quoting the hair thing, I'm just pointing out some less fashionable bits of the bible. Other things to consider off the top of my head are Jesus supporting slavery or God asking Abraham to kill his own son. There are intellectual somersaults that some people try to use to justify these teachings but take a step back, think about the morality, consider the evidence.

BottaGetta
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
As with all things, the context is of utmost importance. For instance their are several passages taken out of context as being "the gospel" when they are in fact, nothing more than a historical account.

jhale667
07-05-2012, 09:55 PM

This from ye of the big debate chop "Your mommy"...whatthefuckever... :rolleyes:

ELVIS
07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
All you do is call people names or throw insults...

I don't do it nearly as much as you...

jhale667
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
All you do is call people names or throw insults...

I don't do it nearly as much as you...

Sure you do, but unlike me, you then try to turn around and say "not ME!" Puh-leez.

BigBadBrian
07-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Sure you do, but unlike me, you then try to turn around and say "not ME!" Puh-leez.

Nope, Elvis is correct. All you do is insult people, particularly when you get frustrated, which is most of the time.

vandeleur
07-06-2012, 07:32 AM
I once managed to goad a church warder to leave the pub before he chinned me ... Quote lol ...
I kept up my end of the discussion with but Jesus wasn't a Christian ... He didn't understand :biggrin:

Any discussion involving the word faith always makes me think of Douglas Adams

vandeleur
07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Actually that sounds bad ... I didn't think he was that upset we were having a healthy discussion ,I only found out I was pissing him off once he had left :-)

Seshmeister
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Douglas Adams was a genius but unfortunately a bit lazy.

sadaist
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
I wonder how much of Gods day is set aside every day to sit & explain to the newcomers to heaven why he allowed all those fucked up horrible things to happen to them and/or their loved ones during their life. That's gotta be the worst part of his job. Wonder if anyone has ever taken a swing at him?

vandeleur
07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Douglas Adams was a genius but unfortunately a bit lazy.

Lazy , how so , in his writing Style ?

ELVIS
07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - President Bush was in Africa to promote cervical cancer detection and treatment programs for Zambian women, many of whom are living with HIV.

"We care because we believe that to whom much is given, much is required," Bush says. "And those of us, who live in America, live in the most blessed nation ever and therefore when we see suffering, we ought to act."

http://www.davidajao.com/blog/wp-content/george-bush-in-ghana.jpg

The former president has raised more than $85 million for cervical cancer programs, through his George W. Bush Center and other partner organizations. Bush says his goal is to build upon one of the great bipartisan achievements of his presidency.

In 2003, Bush's AIDS initiative was initially funded $15 billion-worth of anti-retroviral drugs and treatment to extend the lives of millions of Africans with HIV and AIDS.

Zambia currently has the second highest number of cervical cancer cases in the world. Many Zambian women infected with the disease are also living with HIV and have weakened immune systems.

"But the saddest thing of all is to know a lady's life has been saved from AIDS but died from cervical cancer," Bush said. "And so starting in Zambia, the Bush Center, along with our partners, are going to put on a cervical cancer crusade to save lives."

"He's a very nice person," Chanda says, who is the first patient at the clinic. Pronounced cancer-free by the clinicians there, Chanda says that "I thank him and I am wishing you [him] a happy life, a good life."

While Bush's presidency is mired in controversy in the U.S., in Zambia and much of Africa, he is remembered for saving lives.

J. Stephen Morrison, director of the Health Policy Center at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, says that the former president is deserving of credit. He says in 2003, Bush saw AIDS in Africa as a humanitarian disaster - that if left unchecked could destabilize the entire continent.

"When the president came forward and said, 'HIV/AIDS - we can save lives," Morrison says. "We can enhance lives. We can stabilize societies.' It was with a very powerful ethical and moral rationale as much as it was about a security rationale."

Bush says he will continue to advocate for global health issues which for him, he says, are a labor of love.

:elvis:

Seshmeister
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Lazy , how so , in his writing Style ?

No I just wish he had been more prolific.

I think like the best of us he fucked around a lot which made it worse when he died so ridiculously young.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Douglas Adams

ELVIS
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - President Bush was in Africa to promote cervical cancer detection and treatment programs for Zambian women, many of whom are living with HIV.

"We care because we believe that to whom much is given, much is required," Bush says. "And those of us, who live in America, live in the most blessed nation ever and therefore when we see suffering, we ought to act."

http://www.davidajao.com/blog/wp-content/george-bush-in-ghana.jpg

The former president has raised more than $85 million for cervical cancer programs, through his George W. Bush Center and other partner organizations. Bush says his goal is to build upon one of the great bipartisan achievements of his presidency.

In 2003, Bush's AIDS initiative was initially funded $15 billion-worth of anti-retroviral drugs and treatment to extend the lives of millions of Africans with HIV and AIDS.

Zambia currently has the second highest number of cervical cancer cases in the world. Many Zambian women infected with the disease are also living with HIV and have weakened immune systems.

"But the saddest thing of all is to know a lady's life has been saved from AIDS but died from cervical cancer," Bush said. "And so starting in Zambia, the Bush Center, along with our partners, are going to put on a cervical cancer crusade to save lives."

"He's a very nice person," Chanda says, who is the first patient at the clinic. Pronounced cancer-free by the clinicians there, Chanda says that "I thank him and I am wishing you [him] a happy life, a good life."

While Bush's presidency is mired in controversy in the U.S., in Zambia and much of Africa, he is remembered for saving lives.

J. Stephen Morrison, director of the Health Policy Center at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, says that the former president is deserving of credit. He says in 2003, Bush saw AIDS in Africa as a humanitarian disaster - that if left unchecked could destabilize the entire continent.

"When the president came forward and said, 'HIV/AIDS - we can save lives," Morrison says. "We can enhance lives. We can stabilize societies.' It was with a very powerful ethical and moral rationale as much as it was about a security rationale."

Bush says he will continue to advocate for global health issues which for him, he says, are a labor of love.

:elvis:

Next page