PDA

View Full Version : Fender Factory Tour Film From 1959....

Hardrock69
07-21-2012, 03:53 AM
8mm film shot by Forrest White, Fender General Manager from 1954 to 1967:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8

Nitro Express
07-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Freehand cuts on the band saw. Sanding the radius in (I didn't see any shapers or routers). Spraying laquer with no resirator (OSHA would have a fit).

Matt White
11-06-2012, 11:21 AM
WOW! How did I miss this?!? A GEM from the Golden Age!!!

Nice find!!!

ELVIS
11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
That's fucking awesome !!!

Hey, where's all the overly hyped so called "masterbuilders" who take an already made CNC body and neck and do a $4000 sanding job and set-up ??

:elvis:

Matt White
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
That's fucking awesome !!!

Hey, where's all the overly hyped so called "masterbuilders" who take an already made CNC body and neck and do a $4000 sanding job and set-up ??

:elvis:

I wanted to tell that one guy...."HEY! Put a shirt on! It's work, not a Picnic!!!"

Nice slice of AMERICANA right there.......................

ELVIS
11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
That dude probably sprayed that nitrocellulose laquer every day without mask until he died...

Diamondjimi
11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Great find HR.
Makes me want a vintage Strat even more...

kwame k
11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Awesome find HR!

Not an ear plug or safety glasses in sight :)

Hardrock69
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Kwame!

What's up dude? You been scarce here lately!

You guys are so welcome for the vid, lol.

I just found it on the net and had to post it for you guys.

I cannot set foot in any shop without wanting earplugs and safety glasses on.
Learned that in my daze working for large jet manufacturers......

And of course there is no auto-dust-collection system you would find in any modern wood shop.

kwame k
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Doing well, my friend.......took a break from the boards for a bit but I'm back!

Hope all is well with you and yours:beers8:

I agree about the ear plugs.......I wished I wore them when I started playing out live.....wouldn't have this fucking Tinnitus now:pullinghair:

Hardrock69
11-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Yes. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing ........................

Nitro Express
11-07-2012, 04:19 AM
That dude probably sprayed that nitrocellulose laquer every day without mask until he died...

I built me a spray booth this summer and bought a bunch of painting equipment and safety equipment. When I see a guy spraying paint like that with no respirator it makes me cringe. I think the modern paints we have now might be more dangerous than the laquer but still. Theres chemicals in the modern paints that by the time you feel you have a exposure problem it's too late. Nasty stuff.

Nitro Express
11-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Kwame!

What's up dude? You been scarce here lately!

You guys are so welcome for the vid, lol.

I just found it on the net and had to post it for you guys.

I cannot set foot in any shop without wanting earplugs and safety glasses on.
Learned that in my daze working for large jet manufacturers......

And of course there is no auto-dust-collection system you would find in any modern wood shop.

My dad had bad hearing because in his younger years he ran a brick saw all day long. I asked him why he didn't wear earplugs and he said they had no such things in the late 40's. No safety glasses and no ear plugs.

ashstralia
11-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Hell cool Hr. I'm gonna do a nitro. :biggrin:

I worked in a boutique telescope shop in the early to mid 80's. We did everything in house, except foundry work. I'm talking giant mutha fkn big arse 24" reflectors on equatorial mounts weighing tonnes. Mostly smaller stuff, but you get the picture.

Some of the toxic shit we were around, and did, boggles my mind. With just a lab coat and occasionally one of those cheap disposable dust masks.

Hardrock69
11-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Mmmkay! :hee:

ashstralia
11-07-2012, 04:50 AM
True story.

Hardrock69
11-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Oh I believe you. Amazing what we used to do......it is just the age of information that has made it safer for many people on the job.

Like my Dad and I tore out the walls and ceiling of the family home back in the 70s to sheetrock them......only for my Dad to find out to his horror a few years later that the plaster in lathe & plaster walls had asbestos in it.....

So far so good.....

ashstralia
11-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Mate, I live in an unrenovated eighty year old building... I may be impervious to lead and asbestos. After the apocalypse, there'll be cockroaches and me.

:)

Nitro Express
11-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Hell cool Hr. I'm gonna do a nitro. :biggrin:

I worked in a boutique telescope shop in the early to mid 80's. We did everything in house, except foundry work. I'm talking giant mutha fkn big arse 24" reflectors on equatorial mounts weighing tonnes. Mostly smaller stuff, but you get the picture.

Some of the toxic shit we were around, and did, boggles my mind. With just a lab coat and occasionally one of those cheap disposable dust masks.

I did demolition and some of the stuff we tore out had asbestos, silica, all sorts of chemicals. We always had really good industrial respirators but I was religious about making sure I had a good seal and the things weren't leaking. At least when you work around dangerous shit you get paid more.

vandeleur
11-07-2012, 06:40 AM
I to may be impervious to lead , when I was little my dad was a plumber and he bought these moulds of toy soldiers . So most days he would come home and give me lead off cuts from pipes from work . I would put the lead in the pan heat it and pore it in the mould and make millions of soldiers.
It would be in my hair my food and everywhere .
Come to think of it I miss my hair :biggrin:

ashstralia
11-07-2012, 06:48 AM
I did demolition and some of the stuff we tore out had asbestos, silica, all sorts of chemicals. We always had really good industrial respirators but I was religious about making sure I had a good seal and the things weren't leaking. At least when you work around dangerous shit you get paid more.

We built glorious perfect optics on stable platforms.

kwame k
11-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing ........................

You sick bastard:lmao:

Nitro Express
11-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I to may be impervious to lead , when I was little my dad was a plumber and he bought these moulds of toy soldiers . So most days he would come home and give me lead off cuts from pipes from work . I would put the lead in the pan heat it and pore it in the mould and make millions of soldiers.
It would be in my hair my food and everywhere .
Come to think of it I miss my hair :biggrin:

My brother had those same kind of molds and a lead furnace. I was trying to make some soldiers but the lead wasn't flowing past the funnel feed. So I lit some charcoal in the BBQ and put the mold in the hot ashes to pre heat the mold. Then I notice silver molten metal dripping out from underneath the BBQ. I completely melted the mold. Oh well. Kids playing with hot molten lead. Now that was playtime!

Hardrock69
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM
You sick bastard:lmao:

:lmao: