PDA

View Full Version : The Romney European Tour 2012 - How Many Can He Piss Off?

LoungeMachine
07-26-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5idDV4wa8hCqS6NsaGDCATGfc_kdw?docId=58f4ae279 f7d4a52a8ad3d4f756455f1

Romney stirs Olympic tiff as European tour begins

By DAVID STRINGER, Associated Press – 28 minutes ago

LONDON (AP) — Mitt Romney wanted to highlight U.S.-British bonds — and show off his diplomatic skills to boot — but he managed to rankle the Olympic hosts instead, from Prime Minister David Cameron on down.

The Republican presidential candidate, taking a turn on the world stage, called London's problems with Olympic Games preparation "disconcerting." That prompted Cameron to retort on Thursday that doubters would "see beyond doubt that Britain can deliver." And London Mayor Boris Johnson told tens of thousands gathered in Hyde Park: "There's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know if we are ready. Are we ready? Yes we are!"

Amid the uproar, Romney tried to back off his critique, finally concluding, "I expect the games to be highly successful."

Romney also caused a stir with his attendance at a fundraiser with banking executives tainted by a British interest rate-fixing scandal. And he inadvertently disclosed that he held a secret meeting with the head of Britain's intelligence service.

The bobbles threatened to undermine Romney's first international tour as the man who would replace Democratic President Barack Obama.

A one-term Massachusetts governor with limited foreign policy experience, he is hoping to show voters back home that he is ready to represent the U.S. strongly and smoothly at a time of global economic turmoil and security troubles. He also wants to emphasize his own tenure running the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City by attending this year's opening ceremonies. And he hopes to draw subtle contrasts with Obama.

"I'm looking forward to the bust of Winston Churchill being in the Oval Office again," Romney told donors at a fundraiser, Obama's administration sent back to Britain a bust of Churchill that once sat in the Oval Office. Obama aides say it was scheduled to be returned.

All in all, though, it was a shaky start to Romney's planned weeklong trip overseas that will include Israel and Poland after England.

As he met with British leaders past and present, Romney sought to keep the focus on the close alliance between America and Britain, praising "the unique relationship that exists between our nations, our commitment to common values, our commitment to peace in the world and a desire to see a stronger and growing economy."

But he may have ended up straining his own relationship with the British — and embarrassing them — by questioning whether the country could host a flawless Olympics after years of preparation.

England has constructed an enormous Olympic Park in East London, will showcase tennis at Wimbledon, is hosting soccer in Glasgow in Scotland and has even built a volleyball court behind No. 10 Downing Street, where Romney met with Cameron. Yet, the country has faced steady media coverage of things that have gone wrong: A security firm didn't hire enough people; problems at immigration threatened security risks.

Shortly after arriving in London on Wednesday, Romney told NBC News that it was unclear whether issues that have dogged the final preparations could be overcome, saying: "It's hard to know just how well it will turn out." He made the remark two days before the opening ceremonies and after his staff had attended the dress rehearsal for that show.

By the next morning, Cameron was standing outside Olympic Park responding to questions about Romney's comments.

"We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere," Cameron added. His aides said that was not intended as a jibe at Romney or Salt Lake City. But that didn't stop people on the Internet and elsewhere from suggesting it was.

As criticism of Romney's comments mounted, he suggested it's impossible for any Olympic Games to go off without a hitch.

Later, Romney and Cameron met in private, discussing economic issues and alliances in Afghanistan and Syria — as well as the Olympics — and the American sought again to clarify his remarks on the games.

"It is impossible for absolutely no mistakes to occur," he said. "Of course there will be errors from time to time, but those are all overshadowed by the extraordinary demonstrations of courage, character and determination by the athletes."

By the end of the day Thursday, Romney was outlining his own mistakes as a way of explaining why he had mentioned problems with security forces and immigration enforcement.

"My experience as an Olympic organizer is that there are always a few very small things that end up not going quite right in the first day or so — these get ironed out and then when the games themselves begin and the athletes take over," Romney said as he stood outside No. 10 Downing St. "All the mistakes of the organizing committee, and I made a few, all of those are overwhelmed by the many things that the athletes carry out that capture the spirit of the Games."

Back home, White House spokesman Jay Carney piled on, telling reporters about an Olympic security briefing held in Washington.

"In keeping with our special relationship, the president also made it clear that he has the utmost confidence in our close friend and ally, the United Kingdom, as they finalize preparations to host the London Olympics," Carney said.

After a day of meetings and an interview with CNN, Romney headed to a fundraiser at the Mandarin Oriental hotel that raised over $2 million. It attracted employees of Barclays, which has been in the spotlight after becoming the first bank to admit its employees were involved in manipulating a key interest rate index.

Last month, U.S. and British agencies fined Barclays a total of $453 million. Chief executive Bob Diamond resigned. Diamond was to have been a host of Romney's fundraiser. He dropped out of the event but had already sent a check for $2,500.

So have 82 others who listed their employer as Barclays or Barclays Capital on Federal Election Commission records, including two who gave the maximum to the Romney campaign both in 2011 and 2012.

Reports of Barclays' links to the Romney campaign drew the attention of some members of the British House of Commons, who called on "Barclays and its executives to cease fundraising for political candidates immediately and to concentrate entirely on repairing confidence and trust in the banking system instead."

Romney took questions from the donors who had gathered in a ballroom at the hotel in the Knightsbridge neighborhood in London. Asked about how he would deal with banking regulation, Romney said the Republican Party has sometimes made a "mistake" in focusing too much on deregulation — but that a sweeping banking overhaul passed in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis went too far.

"I believe Dodd-Frank has gone beyond what was appropriate," Romney said of the banking bill.

Earlier, Romney met with the head of MI-6, Britain's intelligence service, during his visit to the Foreign Commonwealth Office. The meeting wasn't listed on public schedules, and revealing such a meeting isn't common in the U.K. But the Republican presidential candidate told reporters about it in a statement outside Cameron's home.

In his other meetings, British officials questioned Romney about so-called fiscal "cliff" that U.S. policymakers will have to deal with next year, as well as his plans to expand trade and potentially develop a free trade agreement between America and the Europeans. Romney asked questions about the situations in Iran and also in Syria, where a broiling conflict has the potential to flare as an election issue in the fall.

The candidate's troubles started even before he landed in London.

Earlier this week, the Australians issued a statement clarifying Foreign Minister Bob Carr's remarks after Romney told donors that Carr met with him and sees an "America in decline."

Romney also has faced criticism in the Jewish press abroad for scheduling a fundraiser on Tisha B'Av, a Jewish fasting day that commemorates the destruction of two temples in Jerusalem. And Romney was forced to distance himself from an unnamed campaign adviser quoted in the Daily Telegraph newspaper saying that Romney believes the U.S. relationship with Britain is special because of shared "Anglo Saxon heritage" and that the current White House doesn't appreciate that shared history.

Associated Press writer Bob Barr in London contributed to this report.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
"Anglo-Saxon" quote overshadows start of Romney tour
July 25, 2012|Steve Holland | Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney began a foreign tour on Wednesday forced to disavow a report that an adviser had accused President Barack Obama of not understanding the shared "Anglo-Saxon heritage" of Britain and the United States.

As Romney arrived in London for a three-day stay, The Daily Telegraph quoted an unnamed Romney campaign adviser who lauded the special relationship between the two countries.
Ads by Google

"We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special," the Telegraph quoted the adviser as saying, "The White House didn't fully appreciate the shared history we have."

The paper said the adviser's remarks "may prompt accusations of racial insensitivity."

Romney is in London to attend the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games on Friday, the first leg of a week-long trip that will also take him to Israel and Poland as he seeks to burnish his foreign policy credentials and present himself as a viable alternative to the Democratic incumbent.

Romney, in an NBC News interview, dismissed the comment but said the United States and Britain do enjoy specialties and that he believes Obama recognizes this as well.

"It goes back to our very beginnings -- cultural and historical. But I also believe the president understands that. So I don't agree with whoever that adviser might be, but do agree that we have a very common bond between ourselves and Great Britain," the former Massachusetts governor said.

The Obama re-election campaign, which is trying to portray Romney as a foreign policy novice, leaped on the Anglo-Saxon remark by issuing a statement from Vice President Joe Biden, who accused Romney of "playing politics with international diplomacy."

'DISTURBING START'

"The comments reported this morning are a disturbing start to a trip designed to demonstrate Governor Romney's readiness to represent the United States on the world's stage. Not surprisingly, this is just another feeble attempt by the Romney campaign to score political points at the expense of this critical partnership. This assertion is beneath a presidential campaign," Biden said.

Romney is to meet British Prime Minister David Cameron, Labour Party leader Ed Milliband and other British officials as well as former Prime Minister Tony Blair on Thursday.

While he is not expected to issue any policy pronouncements, all of the meetings will have carefully orchestrated photo opportunities with the aim of showing American voters images of Romney on the world stage.

Issues from back home, however, were still front and center. In the NBC interview, conducted from the Tower of London, Romney defended his decision not to release more of his tax records beyond the 2010 documents already released and the 2011 papers that are being worked on.

The Obama campaign has made a big issue out of Romney's tax records, suggesting he has something to hide.

Romney expressed ignorance about when a horse owned by his wife, Ann Romney, would be participating in the Olympic sport called dressage. Democrats have used the Romneys' involvement in the sport to call attention to their vast wealth. Ann Romney rides horses to relieve stress and ease symptoms of multiple sclerosis.

"I have to tell you. This is Ann's sport. I'm not even sure which day the sport goes on. She will get the chance to see it, I will not be watching the event. I hope her horse does well," he said.

Obama is trying to head off a strong challenge from Romney in a campaign largely centered on the weak U.S. economy. Romney is taking some risk by spending a week abroad in the heat of a close campaign since any comment he makes could be seen as criticizing the president, which most U.S. politicians are reluctant to do once they leave American shores.

To get around that problem, Romney set the stage for his trip with a scathing speech on American soil on Tuesday, accusing the president of mishandling foreign policy hot spots from the Middle East to China and neglecting U.S. allies.

Romney's visit to London is aimed at recalling the role he played in salvaging the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, a key portion of his resume as a businessman who can fix problems.

That part of his biography has come under fire from the Obama campaign, which insists that at that time he was still nominally in control of Bain Capital, a private equity firm that had shipped some U.S. jobs overseas.

(Editing by Alistair Bell and Mohammad Zargham)

Satan
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Mittens can go to Bitburg Cemetery like Reagan. Only he wouldn't lay a wreath down, he would baptize the dead Nazis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8m2LpYGV0E

Nickdfresh
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
I had my beliefs about Rumney, but I didn't think he was this much of a bumbling jackoff....

Nickdfresh
07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Mittens can go to Bitburg Cemetery like Reagan. Only he wouldn't lay a wreath down, he would baptize the dead Nazis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8m2LpYGV0E

I think Reagan was a bit of an idiot for going to Bitburg, but not every dead German there was a Nazi, even the teen SS soldiers. Also, not all SS troops committed hideous atrocities...

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
He'd still be better than Obama...

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM

'Cause he's white. Then vote for him you fake, shill fuck...

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
That's racist, asswipe...

Nickdfresh
07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
That's racist, asswipe...

Exactly! And you'll vote for him...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2012, 06:51 PM
<div style='text-align:left'>
<object width='560' height='345' id='FiveminPlayer' classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000'>
<param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/>
<param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/>
<param name='movie' value='http://embed.5min.com/517427282/'/>
<param name='wmode' value='opaque' />
<embed name='FiveminPlayer' src='http://embed.5min.com/517427282/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='560' height='345' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' wmode='opaque'>
</embed>
</object>
<br/>
</div>

Satan
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM

No, he absolutely would not.

Each BCE President has been worse than the one before. Do you REALLY want to see what WORSE THAN CHIMPY looks like?

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Exactly! And you'll vote for him...

You're racist dude...

Calling racism for not wanting Obama for another four years is racist, and it's a new low for you...

You liberals are getting pretty worried that your precious Obama won't get reelected...

I hope Romney beats Obama but I doubt I will vote for him...

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Each BCE President has been worse than the one before. Do you REALLY want to see what WORSE THAN CHIMPY looks like?

I know what it looks like, Barry Davis...

atomicpnk47
07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
It doesn't matter who the fuck the president is ....Different face same shit.

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Yep...

Satan
07-26-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't know who this "Barry Davis" guy is. Wasn't that Greg from the Brady Bunch?

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Barry Davis is the current face of the White House...

Satan
07-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Did a Devil sleep through the 2012 election somehow? I could have sworn Barack Obama was President up there.

So how did this Davis guy beat out Mittens for the Repuke nomination, and how many machines did they have to hack to steal the election?

Oh, and what happened with that Mayan business in December?

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
The Mayan bullshit is history channel hype...

Barack Obama is a fake name taken from a real African to make Barry Davis more appealing to the masses...

jhale667
07-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Bullshit.

I'm a racist, asswipe...

We know. :dafinger:

Nitro Express
07-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Romney didn't say anything the press hadn't already said. He said the strikes and not meeting the proposed security staff was disconcerting. He also said London would have great volunteers. He simply addressed the problems reported by the press but didn't say the olympics were going to be a failure or London sucked. I really don't get what the big deal was. I guess he could have just said London is one of the world's great cities and the olympics are going to be fabulous. Maybe that's why politicians sugar coat everything. The public loves to hear the sugar coating instead of some facts.

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 09:58 PM
You're racist, Nitro...

Barry Davis is the answer...

Nitro Express
07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
At least Mitt didn't give the queen an iPod with all his speeches on it, sent a gift bust of Winston Churchhill back, and give embarassing toasts during dinner with the royal family, and bow to the queen. If you want to talk about US Presidents screwing up then here's a short list.

Nitro Express
07-26-2012, 10:02 PM
You're racist, Nitro...

Barry Davis is the answer...

The term racist is so casually thrown around today it's lost it's bite. It's like saying fuck all the time. After awhile the shock value is gone and you could care less.

Nitro Express
07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Did a Devil sleep through the 2012 election somehow? I could have sworn Barack Obama was President up there.

So how did this Davis guy beat out Mittens for the Repuke nomination, and how many machines did they have to hack to steal the election?

Oh, and what happened with that Mayan business in December?

Not to mention stonewalling Ron Paul.

ELVIS
07-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Exactly...

Nitro Express
07-27-2012, 12:48 AM
It just proves the same partisan bullshit we deal with here in the states also exists in the UK. It's just their media and some liberal politicians grabbing a little corner and exagerating the hell out of it. All I can say is I worked under Mitt Romney as an olympic volunteer and he came into a situation that was a mess all around. He was brought in because he had a reputation as being a fix it guy. He's an excellent organizer and the buck stops with him. Utah had a wonderful olympics because of him. That's the honest truth there. I don't like the mainstream Republican establishment so I probably won't vote for the guy but he's not a bumbling idiot like the media tries to make him but then that's the game. Most these people criticizing the guy would be over their heads if they were put into some of the situations the guy was a manager in.

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 07:17 AM
He's just not a smooth talker, I mean teleprompter reader like Barry Dunham Davis...

Nickdfresh
07-27-2012, 08:31 AM
You're racist dude...

Calling racism for not wanting Obama for another four years is racist, and it's a new low for you...

No, getting banned for using the N-word over and over makes YOU a racist, you dick!

You liberals are getting pretty worried that your precious Obama won't get reelected...

I hope Romney beats Obama but I doubt I will vote for him...

You're such a pussy bandwagon-hopper with no real convictions...

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Left / right political convictions, you mean ??

Fucking right, I don't !!

That's why I can sit back and laugh at you...

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Very insightful Nitro! I still think he comes off insanely teflon and robotic. The saying 'yes' to whatever will get him in the right direction is what I consider to be disconcerting, but it most certainly wouldn't be fair to only blame this particular politician for doing that.

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Colbert had a funny bit at Romney's expense. He read aloud Mitt's most recent Valentine's Day card to his wife.

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Your hair is beautiful
but your lipstick is disconcerting.

BigBadBrian
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
'Cause he's white. Then vote for him you fake, shill fuck...

I really don't think you Lefties know how bad you look when racism is the only argument you can pull out of your hat.

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
That and demonizing Romney for being successful outside of government...

jhale667
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I really don't think you Lefties know how bad you look when racism is the only argument you can pull out of your hat.

Is that like you how don't realize what an idiot you look like defending the douche you're voting for that's currently making a jackass out of himself abroad and making dog-whistle racist references?

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

And righties perpetually crying out for birth certificates and college transcripts looks good?

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
That and demonizing Romney for being successful outside of government...

I'll applaud success if it's not achieved in a way that truly sucks. Seriously, he cared absolutely zero about the lives of the employees of the companies he tanked. No, he's not the only prick who did that, but he's the only prick running for POTUS who did that.

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
The private sector doesn't run on feelings...

But saying he didn't care is probably incorrect...

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 10:16 AM
...But saying he didn't care is probably incorrect..

Probably? Gee, with conviction like that, I hope you choose to sit this election out rather than vote for this ass clown just to spite Obama. Silliness I tell ya.

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know Romney's feelings, he said he cares, but who knows for sure...

I'm not a Romney supporter...

DLR Bridge
07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I know, but FFS, don't vote for'em!

ELVIS
07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking gonna sit this one out...

Let the sheeple have whomever they want...

They deserve what they get by voting based on what the mainstream media says...

binnie
07-27-2012, 01:16 PM
The reaction of most British people to this was:

'Who is Mitt Romney? And what kind of a fucking name is 'Mitt'?'

jhale667
07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Love the headline in one of the UK papers: "Mitt the Twit" :lmao:

fourthcoming
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Wow.....Romney makes people like Al Gore or Gerald Ford look smooth. 4 More years of bullshit no matter who you vote for.

LoungeMachine
07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm thinking gonna sit this one out...

Let the sheeple have whomever they want...

They deserve what they get by voting based on what the mainstream media says...

You're gonna sit this one out?
Thus changing the outcome?

:lol:

Satan
07-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow.....Romney makes people like Al Gore or Gerald Ford look smooth. 4 More years of bullshit no matter who you vote for.

www.voterocky.org

LoungeMachine
07-27-2012, 05:04 PM
www.voterocky.org

Not a chance in Hell......

Satan
07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
But he isn't running in Hell.

LoungeMachine
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM
But he isn't running in Hell.

He isn't really in the "running" here, either......

How goes the ice skating these days?

baru911
07-28-2012, 03:52 PM
He isn't really in the "running" here, either......

LMAO...When you are right, you are right.

Rocky Road can't buy press. The guy is so off the radar that he makes Gary Cherone seem like he's on it. Gary has google hits on July 26. Rocky hasn't had any for almost a week.

Rocky Road SUCKS IT HARD!

Terry
07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I had my beliefs about Rumney, but I didn't think he was this much of a bumbling jackoff....

The contrasts between Romney Europe 2012 and Obama Europe 2008 are, so far, pretty stark.

For all the blather about how Romney needs to pick a "safe" VP candidate who won't make ill-advised statements and hurt the ticket (a la Palin), it's actually the top of the ticket that needs to stay on script. Nearly every time Romney speaks off-the-cuff he manages to put his foot in his mouth and is then forced to "walk back" his initial comments (another disconcerting thing about him: for once I'd like to witness an instance where he says something and when challenged about it sticks to his guns).

In all fairness to Romney, it may well be the case where London isn't as prepared as it might be in terms of security. However, you don't go over there and make the contrasts between that and Salt Lake City (is there really anyone, even among Romney supporters, who REALLY thinks his handling of the 2002 Olympics somehow qualifies him to tackle the challenges America faces? Really? If so, please explain).

binnie
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Compared to what he said in Israel - which was, frankly, irresponsible - Romney's escapades in Europe were almost professional.....

DLR Bridge
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
However, you don't go over there and make the contrasts between that and Salt Lake City...

...and alert the world that an attack might be successful, if attempted by blurting our security short falls.

"Never miss a good opportunity to shut up!" -Will Rogers

FORD
07-31-2012, 03:39 AM
July 28, 2012
Romney’s Gaffes Worsen in Israel
Posted by Andy Borowitz

TEL AVIV (The Borowitz Report)—The Mitt Romney Gaffe Express pulled into a new station today, leaving its conductor’s hopes of proving himself to be a nimble statesman in tatters.

Mr. Romney’s troubles began in a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to whom he presented gifts of a HoneyBaked ham and a wheel of cheddar cheese.

After Mr. Netanyahu ordered both gifts removed from his residence and destroyed, Mr. Romney went on to address the Knesset, where he congratulated the Jewish people on building the pyramids.

“Ann and I saw them during a cruise we took to the Middle East, and they were magnificent,” he told the stunned legislators. “As accomplishments go, building the pyramids isn’t up there with saving the Olympics, but you should still feel very, very proud. Nice job.”

Sensing that his remarks were not going over as well as intended, Mr. Romney improvised: “No, really. Incredible building job you did. If any of you would like to work on our house in La Jolla, just say the word. Only thing is, you’ll have to work Saturdays.”

Mr. Romney’s day concluded with an awkward moment at the West Bank, where he attempted to deposit ten million dollars.

Little Texan
07-31-2012, 03:58 AM
Wow, Shitt. Way to make an enormous ass of yourself on the world stage!

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 04:34 AM
The contrasts between Romney Europe 2012 and Obama Europe 2008 are, so far, pretty stark.

For all the blather about how Romney needs to pick a "safe" VP candidate who won't make ill-advised statements and hurt the ticket (a la Palin), it's actually the top of the ticket that needs to stay on script. Nearly every time Romney speaks off-the-cuff he manages to put his foot in his mouth and is then forced to "walk back" his initial comments (another disconcerting thing about him: for once I'd like to witness an instance where he says something and when challenged about it sticks to his guns).

In all fairness to Romney, it may well be the case where London isn't as prepared as it might be in terms of security. However, you don't go over there and make the contrasts between that and Salt Lake City (is there really anyone, even among Romney supporters, who REALLY thinks his handling of the 2002 Olympics somehow qualifies him to tackle the challenges America faces? Really? If so, please explain).

Just to clarify the security thing, to be fair to the conservative UK government all they did was contract the biggest security company in the world to supply 10 000 staff for the games.

The company G4S, completely fucked it up by failing to provide half the staff they promised so the government stepped in and fixed the problem using the military.

Also with all due respect hosting a Winter olympics in Salt Lake City is absolutely nowhere near the same scale as organising the real one in London.

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 04:36 AM
J
Also with all due respect hosting a Winter olympics in Salt Lake City is absolutely nowhere near the same scale as organising the real one in London.

Everyone but Team Mittens knows this.....

Security at SLC could have been provided by the on call guys from the local TJ Maxx outlet.....

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 04:43 AM
At least Mitt didn't give the queen an iPod with all his speeches on it, sent a gift bust of Winston Churchhill back, and give embarassing toasts during dinner with the royal family, and bow to the queen. If you want to talk about US Presidents screwing up then here's a short list.

The worst one Obama did was when the British PM met him for the first time in return for a pen holder carved from the timbers of the sister ship of the one the White House desk is made from and a first edition of a seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill he gave him a fucking DVD boxset! :D

This would seem far fetched in a comedy show like The Veep.

Of course what will have happened is there would have been a bunch of advisors running around saying "Fuck fuck fuck who forgot to get the present?".

Most of these fuck ups including the speeches which of course they don't write themselves tell you more about the people around them than the candidates themselves. Still those are the same people around them when the real shit happens and I fear that neither Obamas or Romneys are as good as the people on the West Wing TV show...

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 04:48 AM

Security at SLC could have been provided by the on call guys from the local TJ Maxx outlet.....

You notice the Romney people always drop the word Winter when talking about that.

It's like dropping the word Softball from World Series.

Of course without the job as Nitro's assistant on that event, Romney's CV is just a bunch of shady corporate raiding and introducing public healthcare in his state.

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 04:49 AM
Meh......

It's only England.

Like it matters what those poofs think....

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 04:55 AM
Meh......

It's only England.

Like it matters what those poofs think....

You sound very Scottish in this post... :)

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 05:00 AM
You sound very Scottish in this post... :)

Makes perfect sense...

I'm pissed out of my mind.

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 05:05 AM
Probably enough to get you 50% on the citizenship test...

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Probably enough to get you 50% on the citizenship test...

Mum's side is Welsh......

We're pretty much related by this point...

BigBadBrian
07-31-2012, 06:33 AM

Lounge, we all know you're retarded, but do you have to prove it on every post?

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
In terms of athletes and cost London 2012 is TWENTY times bigger than SLC 2002.

Which in my opinion is fucking lunacy but I never got asked. :)

ELVIS
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
No staged terror attacks yet ??

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Nope.

I bet your pal is screaming for one.

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

IT'S COMING!

As usual...

ELVIS
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
No, he's been talking about the erosion of the 2nd amendment...

Nickdfresh
07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
I think they were going to stage a terror attack by kidnapping the Chinese swim team, but found their altered DNA would allow the Chinese swimmers to sprout knife blades from their knuckles while vaulting over the terrorists as they cut them to pieces and consumed them made the plan unworkable...

ELVIS
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
A simple SWAT shooting would suffice...

Seshmeister
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Of Jones?

Funny how that never happens isn't it.

http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/paranoia

jhale667
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
A simple SWAT shooting would suffice...

:headlights:

Of Jones?

Funny how that never happens isn't it.

http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/paranoia

While I completely agree with the sentiment, let's target it a little more locally for ELBOW:

http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/97/n/116

Dr. Love
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ron-paul-supporters-amass-poland_649135.html

Ron Paul Supporters Amass—in Poland

Fox News host Greta Van Susteren finds Ron Paul supporters in the streets of Poland, where Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is visiting:

"Well, exactly, in Poland, there is a party that is called the Right Wing Congress and this is like, exactly the same as Ron Paul says in America," a Paul supporter tells Van Susteren. "The same things that Ron Paul says in America this is the same thing in Poland."

Van Susteren asks, Did you come to the square to see Governor Romney?

"Well, yeah, we came out here just to say hello," he says. "And to tell him that we're not interested in his candidacy; we are interested in Ron Paul and what he says, because he is the one that really makes a difference. He's the one that says about our troops coming back to Poland and not dying with American troops out there. And he is the only one that says about the visas problem, because this is something that is very distracting for us, you know. Polish people have to go and ask for the opportunity to go the U.S.A. to have a trip. And this is awful for us. And Ron Paul about demolishing the system, not changing or altering it in any way. He's just saying about completely destroying it. And this is what we think should be done."

"What about President Obama?," the Fox News host asked.

The Paul supporter responded, "We are completely against President Obama. President Obama is a socialist--in Poland, he would even be called a Communist."

The interview is set to air later tonight on Fox News.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/30/ron-paul-supporters-photobomb-mitt-romneys-visit-to-poland/

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/large1-300x225.jpg

Mitt Romney was greeted by Polish supporters of Texas Rep. Ron Paul as his motorcade passed through Gdansk on Monday. Volunteers from the Romney campaign struggled in vain to use umbrellas to block a large Ron Paul banner from sight, Bonney Kapp of CBS News reports.

The Paul supporters’ sign read, “Polish Choice – Ron Paul Kongres Nowej Prawicy.” Kongres Nowej Prawicy stands for “Congress of the New Right” and is the name of a libertarian-conservative Polish political party founded last year.

A July 28 posting on the party’s website called for displaying a banner in support of Ron Paul during Romney’s visit. The post explains that the party believes Paul would be a better choice for the GOP.

Both Ron Paul and Obama supporters were present at the Romney press filing center in Gdansk according to Holly Bailey, a political reporter for Yahoo News.

Congress of the New Right was founded in March 2011 from the merger of the political parties Freedom and Lawfulness and Real Politics Union. Its founder and president, Janusz Korwin-Mikke, received 2.48 percent of the vote in the 2010 Polish presidential election.

Congress of the New Right favors trade liberalization, drug legalization, the right to keep and bear arms, withdrawal from the European Union, tax cuts and spending reductions — but it also opposes abortion and same-sex marriage. The party has no seats in either of Poland’s houses of parliament.

Romney is touring Poland’s sites and meeting with its leaders as part of a foreign policy campaign swing. Paul, Romney’s last-standing rival for the GOP nomination, has not officially dropped out of the presidential race.

you can't escape us, Mitt!

FORD
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Paul-ocks?? :biggrin:

FORD
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Great leaping moons of Kolob!! Did Harry Reid finally find his balls????

<object height="340" width="545" data="http://l3cdn.iqmediacorp.com.c.footprint.net/scontent/player/iqmedia_player_resize_cdn.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="HYETA" id="HUY"><param value="http://l3cdn.iqmediacorp.com.c.footprint.net/scontent/player/iqmedia_player_resize_cdn.swf" name="movie"><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"><param value="high" name="quality"><param value="transparent" name="wmode"><param value="embedId=b780c8a0-7822-4b0d-8a20-bab84db37da8" name="flashvars"></object>

jhale667
07-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Great leaping moons of Kolob!! Did Harry Reid finally find his balls????

Heard about that on the way home... it's about time. And yes, seriously dodging taxes for 10 years would be an automatic DQ as far as consideration for the Presidency.

ELVIS
07-31-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree with that if it's indeed true...

FORD
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
I agree with that if it's indeed true...

As you know, I haven't been Harry Reid's fan over the years, and with good reason, given his general uselessness as a Senate Majority Leader. But whatever else he is, he's devoted to his faith, and I doubt he would risk excommunication by lying about a fellow Mormon on the Senate floor.

Reid probably wouldn't say this on the job, given the whole separation of church and state thing, but if Mittens is dodging his taxes by sending all of his money out of the country, he's probably also contributing far less than the "mandatory"10% tithe to the LDS church.

And when Mittens steals from Elohim his Heavenly Father, that really gets Harry mad.

Nitro Express
07-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Harry Reid is another Mormon winner. Harry wears the same funny underwear Mitt does. Hard to believe but it's true. Both are egomanics so it's not surprising they both think they will become gods.

Ford. Mormons stab each other in the back all the time. Utah is the ponzi scheme capital of the US. Why? Mormons fleecing other Mormons. There's a Mormon joke when a guy from Utah comes into your business and calls you brother, and proposes a business deal you grab your wallet and run.

Mitt has actually invested the Mormon church's money. The church has several corporations and one is called Ensign Peak. Mitt was one of the people the church was making investments through. Mitt is in tight will the church leadership. Much more than Harry Reid.

Nitro Express
07-31-2012, 11:57 PM
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is set up differently than most churches. Most churches in the US are mutual corporations where the members are the shareholders of the corporation and own a part of the church. In the case with the Mormon church, it's a corporation of sole. The members do not own the church, the current living prophet does. The current prophet Thomas S. Monson owns all of the church assets. The church today is more of a holding company than a church. I read a whole case study on the history of the church through the 20th Century and how it has changed and how it went from a bankrupt church in trouble with the federal government to one of the largest real estate holders in the US. It was a pretty interesting read. The actual church is a very small part of what the whole organization is. It has way more money than anyone would think.

I know the grandson of a former prophet and when his grandfather started to become senile due to old age the family caught two of the apostles and the personal secretary using the signature machine to take over the church. They made the dumb mistake of sending out birthday announcements to the family and signing them with the prophet's signature machine and using a formal ending. In the past the birthday announcements were hand written and signed Love Grandpa. So the family knew something was fishy. You have all that money and power in the hands of one old man and when he no longer can function the wolves take over.

One thing most members of the church don't realize is the church has no legal obligation to take care of them. A lot of these people are proud that the church is so successful and so wealthy. I think a lot of them like to think they are a part of it. Legally they aren't. All they are is a volunteer and a money donator. Oh the church calls them a member but legally they are a part of nothing. They own nothing and the church has no obligation to do anything for them. It's like donating to the Red Cross and then the Red Cross says you are a member and tricks you into doing a lot of volunteer work. The church is no different. These people actually think the are part of it which they are not. Only Thomas S. Monson is part of it and he owns it. Legally.

Mormonism is a lot like the Godfather where Al Pachino says the more I try to leave the more it pulls me in. It's one sticky mess with family involved and if you are in a family business it's even worse. You can't get a little big pregnant in Mormonism. You are either all the way out or you are in.

FORD
08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
. Mitt was one of the people the church was making investments through. Mitt is in tight will the church leadership. Much more than Harry Reid.

Wasn't his dad "the Prophet" for a while (after his own Presidential bid failed)?

But if Mittens "officially reported" income is far less than his actual (tax sheltered) income, and he's only giving Heavenly Father 10% of the fake lowball amount, then I suspect a lot of Mormons are going to be pissed off about that.

Cheating the government is one thing. Cheating Elohim, that's different! Now me, I'm just hoping that Elohim sends the Angel Moroni down here to administer a little justice, biblical style......

Acts 5

New International Version (NIV)
Ananias and Sapphira

1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property.

2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened.

8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”

“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
No. Marion G. Romney was an apostle and I think a counciler to the prophet. He was a former American Motors executive and in those days the missionaries drove AMC Gremilins. LOL! They looked like the geek squad driving gremlins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_G._Romney

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
I worked under Mitt as an olympic volunteer but him and his wife were my nieces first major clients as a interior decorator. She spent a lot of time at their New Hampshire lake house redecorating it. Mitt is a high energy guy. He's like he's on one big caffeine buzz and he likes to be in the game. He's very hands on. He can get more done in a meeting in fifteen minutes than most people can get done in two hours. He's a better administrator and manager than a politician. I hear he's decent to work for. I didn't have any problem with the guy.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Wasn't his dad "the Prophet" for a while (after his own Presidential bid failed)?

But if Mittens "officially reported" income is far less than his actual (tax sheltered) income, and he's only giving Heavenly Father 10% of the fake lowball amount, then I suspect a lot of Mormons are going to be pissed off about that.

Cheating the government is one thing. Cheating Elohim, that's different! Now me, I'm just hoping that Elohim sends the Angel Moroni down here to administer a little justice, biblical style......

We all do it. I doubt most people pay income taxes on what they make at a yard sale. Hey I was on a trip in China and got to know a tax attorney from New Jersey. He had ten clients. His job was to make sure those ten clients didn't pay taxes by tying it up in court and playing all sorts of games. He said they played it right to the wire. I mean people have made good livings providing this kind of service for years. Lot's of people. On the smaller scale do most people pay income taxes on their yard sales. Probably not. It's how the world works.

This is why I'm a fan of a flat sales tax. It gets rid of all the fun and games.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 12:42 AM
For the record Joseph Smith really fucked up when he came up with that Eloheim character. Eloheim is a hebrew word and it's plural. It's not the name of one sky daddy. Much like how Jospeh fucked up translating the Egyptian Book of the Dead but then the rosetta stone had not been discovered yet. Then of course the Book of Mormon should be called the Book of Fuckups. Too many to count there.

Seshmeister
08-01-2012, 04:03 AM
This is why I'm a fan of a flat sales tax. It gets rid of all the fun and games.

Flat sales tax fucks the poor majority even more because they spend all their money and in the US.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Everyone should pay some tax. I'm tired of half the country not having to pay while I pay more and more.

Seshmeister
08-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Everyone feels that everywhere, there seems to be no fair way of doing it where the rich don't avoid it or the poor don't end up begging and stealing.

It must be particularly bad in the US though where you don't personally get very much for all the tax you pay.

Nickdfresh
08-01-2012, 05:10 AM
I worked under Mitt as an olympic volunteer but him and his wife were my nieces first major clients as a interior decorator. She spent a lot of time at their New Hampshire lake house redecorating it. Mitt is a high energy guy. He's like he's on one big caffeine buzz and he likes to be in the game. He's very hands on. He can get more done in a meeting in fifteen minutes than most people can get done in two hours. He's a better administrator and manager than a politician. I hear he's decent to work for. I didn't have any problem with the guy.

I'm thinking this is the 80% bull stool-sample...

LoungeMachine
08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
I worked under Mitt as an olympic volunteer

10,000 people can make this same claim.

The guy handing out water bottles before the Luge Trials worked under Mittens....

Bring specifics, or consider this part of your 80% bullshit

Seriously, man....it gets old.

ELVIS
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
He could post a pic of himself shaking Mitt's mitten and you retards wouldn't believe it...

Terry
08-01-2012, 09:20 PM
The aspect of Romney's candidacy that has me less than overwhelmed is how Mitt has basically been running for the presidency since 2006.

The economy is weak. Plenty of people who voted for Obama (and many of Obama's largest 2008 donors) aren't enthusiastic about doing so this time around.

Mitt has been at it for 6 years now. Yet he hasn't taken the lead in many polls...he still can't close the deal...a large chunk of swing voters out there aren't seeing him as a viable alternative to Obama.

Romney has to hope something catastrophic happens between now and November, because he's already by and large been defined: people have made up their minds about him. On top of all this, Romney has no real economic plan. Nothing new or innovative. Just the same old supply-side bullshit that works very well for the very few - people are hip to that claptrap. Now Romney has gone from promising to create jobs to promising to "create the conditions that can create jobs," which promises nothing tangible or concrete. All Romney has to offer is a campaign strategy that subtly boils down to "Vote For Me and Get Rid of the Darkie."

I suppose part of this "creating conditions" strategy can be illustrated with the decision to hold the GOP Convention in Tampa, which is now resulting in a dozen downtown blocks and adjacent neighborhoods being shut down for four days, so none of the businesses in the area can get deliveries during this period. Lovely.

ELVIS
08-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Creating the conditions to creat jobs is exactly what a president should say and do...

A president can't create a single job, but he can help create an environment where people feel safe to invest money and thus start up new business and or expand existing business...

Nickdfresh
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Dupey poop!

Nickdfresh
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Creating the conditions to creat jobs is exactly what a president should say and do...

A president can't create a single job, but he can help create an environment where people feel safe to invest money and thus start up new business and or expand existing business...

No they don't! The forces of the economy and its cycles do! Obama can't control the Euro-Debt Crisis and its effect on a skittish Wall St., nor can he force profitable, gun-shy companies to hire even though their workers are being over-worked and they're overpaying them with overtime when normally they'd hire more people but refuse too because they're scared...

Short of a works project for public infrastructure (which I think would be great!) Obama nor anyone cannot directly effect jobs creation. They can only set policies of enforcement to prevent wholesale economic corruption routinely seen during the Bush Admin during the Qualcom/Enron/Adelphia scandals. Though yes, Clinton also dropped the ball on that one!

jhale667
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/533251_469841516360165_1868810874_n.jpg

Seshmeister
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Romney's itinerary on this tour was to go to Poland, then over to the UK and then swinging East towards Palestine.

Was that not the same route as Hitler planned?

vandeleur
08-02-2012, 08:35 PM
:lmao:

Seshmeister
08-02-2012, 08:39 PM
It's quite impressive how much Romney is hated in the UK already.

It's now been noticed in his recent book No Apology he said

England [sic] is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler's ambitions. Yet only two lifetimes ago, Britain ruled the largest and wealthiest empire in the history of humankind. Britain controlled a quarter of the earth's land and a quarter of the earth's population.

He may think that and some of it may be true but it's not a way to build bridges as an international leader...

Terry
08-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Do you really believe a president can't create a single job?

One step beyond that, is it your belief that should Romney win and then goes on to reduce the corporate and individual tax rates across the board, that this will create conditions where suddenly companies start a massive hiring boom?

If your answer to both of the above is yes...well (and hey, everyone's obviously entitled to think what they want to think), there's really little point in continuing.

vandeleur
08-02-2012, 09:42 PM
He is Quite the diplomate ....

Seshmeister
08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180165/Carl-Lewis-Some-Americans-shouldnt-leave-country-U-S-gold-medalistlatest-attack-Mitt-Romney.html