PDA

View Full Version : CIA and NSA Tracking You Through Your IPhone

LoungeMachine
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.itworld.com/security/186733/can-nsa-and-cia-use-your-phone-track-your-location

Can the NSA and CIA use your phone to track your location?

They're not sure, but they'll get back to you on that
By Kevin Fogarty

July 26, 2011, 12:43 PM — There's no need to panic, or start shopping for aluminum-foil headwear, but the super-secret National Security Agency has apparently been thinking frequently enough about whether the NSA is allowed to intercept location data from cell phones to track U.S. citizens that the agency's chief lawyer was able to speak intelligently about it off the cuff while interviewing for a different job.

"There are certain circumstances where that authority may exist," even if the NSA has no warrant to investigate a the person whose privacy it is invading or global permission to eavesdrop on everyone, according to Matthew Olsen, the NSA's general counsel.

He didn't come to talk about that particularly; he said it yesterday in response to a question from the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, which was considering whether he'd be a good choice to run the National Counterterrorism Center also known as the Early Listening Viability Information Study

jhale667
07-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Quick, ELBOW - burn your iPhone!!! :biggrin:

DONNIEP
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, but the real question is can the NSA keep track of all the pron on my iphone? Maybe they'll come up with an app that helps sort it, call it the Nancy Grace App :biggrin:

FORD
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Another reason not to buy one of those goddamned things......

Nitro Express
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I looked at one but they are too heavy and bulky for my taste. Plus I'm just hard of cell phones. I break them all the time.

VAiN
07-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I honestly don't see what the big deal or surprise is here.. you're transmitting data with GPS, no shit you can be tracked. I'm not plotting any major crimes over the phone so I think I'm cool.

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 12:01 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal or surprise is here.. you're transmitting data with GPS, no shit you can be tracked. I'm not plotting any major crimes over the phone so I think I'm cool.

Inside joke....

:gulp:

Read the end of the article for a clue.....

Dr. Love
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
not only can they track you via your iphone, they can send the drones to kill you via the iphone too!

There's an app for that.

Nitro Express
07-31-2012, 12:08 AM

Years ago some stupid kid was blowing up bombs around the country. He was trying to make a smiley face on the map using the locations of the explosions for refference points. The authorities busted the jackass in the middle of the Nevada desert tracking his cell phone. This is nothing new.

What has changed is the citizens no longer trust their government like they did 15 years ago.

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Years ago some stupid kid was blowing up bombs around the country. He was trying to make a smiley face on the map using the locations of the explosions for refference points. The authorities busted the jackass in the middle of the Nevada desert tracking his cell phone. This is nothing new.

Don't call ELVIS a stupid kid....

He's older now

Blaze
07-31-2012, 12:37 AM
not only can they track you via your iphone, they can send the drones to kill you via the iphone too!

There's an app for that.
:biggrin:

jhale667
07-31-2012, 01:40 AM
I just got confirmation from the surveillance drone ELBOW has NOT burned his iPhone yet...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/3115049621_dc69bfef29_z.jpg

Fix the fucking roof already, willya? :)

LoungeMachine
07-31-2012, 01:44 AM
:biggrin:

Nice place, ELBOW......

Always knew you'd go Double-Wide

jhale667
07-31-2012, 01:55 AM
The drone was within range long enough to download video from the ELBOW target device shot over the weekend...