PDA

View Full Version : Mars Mission's Fate Rests on Landing

Seshmeister
08-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Mars Mission's Fate Rests on Landing

August 5, 2012 1:00 pm

By KENNETH CHANG / The New York Times

PASADENA, Calif. -- The future of NASA's exploration of Mars now comes down to a struggle between gravity and a half-million lines of computer code.

Currently snug in an interplanetary spacecraft, the plutonium-powered rover called Curiosity will end its eight-and-a-half-month journey from Earth on Sunday, plowing into the Martian atmosphere at 13,000 miles per hour in a burst of fire.

When that happens, control over the $2.5 billion mission will transfer to the onboard computer, which must slow the car-sized Curiosity and execute a series of intricate maneuvers to lower it to the ground.

Because of a 14-minute communications gap between the two planets, scientists on Earth will be mere spectators. Landing was scheduled to occur at 10:31 p.m. Sunday here in Pasadena, though officials warned that confirmation of a successful touchdown could take several hours or even days.

Failure could set back American-led Mars explorations for years.
Because of tightening budgets, NASA has already pulled out of collaborations with the European Space Agency planned for 2016 and 2018. The space agency is now contemplating what alternative missions it can fly on its own to Mars in 2018 -- but nothing nearly as ambitious or expensive as Curiosity.

If Curiosity fails, NASA would have to start over.

Doug McCuistion, the Mars exploration program director, said NASA would persist as it had following earlier Mars failures. After the loss of two Mars spacecraft in 1999, NASA then built and landed two highly successful rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, in 2004.

"We'll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off," Mr. McCuistion said at a news conference on Saturday.

"This will not be the end."

At landing time, two NASA craft, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Mars Odyssey, will be passing close overhead, with Odyssey relaying transmissions to Earth.
But the landing could pass without word from Curiosity.

"It doesn't necessarily mean something bad has happened," said Richard Cook, the deputy project manager.

If the landing succeeds, the first black-and-white photographs could be beamed back on Monday.
Over the first week, Curiosity is to deploy its main antenna, raise a mast containing cameras, a rock-vaporizing laser and other instruments, and take its first 360-degree panorama shot of its surroundings.

NASA will spend the first month checking out Curiosity. Mr. Cook said the first drive could occur early next month. The rover would not scoop its first sample of Martian soil until mid-September at the earliest, and the first drilling into rock would occur in October or November, he said.

Michael Schwirtz contributed reporting from New York.

clarathecarrot
08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Dear NASA,

Send robots there is nothing there.
To risky for humans unless you can cut the journey to two weeks.

Thankyou,
Everyone

Hardrock69
08-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Funny, all the press I am seeing about this takes great pains to point out there is no actual evidence of life on Mars.

NASA has taken great pains to hide a LOT of stuff from the public about the Moon and Mars.

Nitro Express
08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I miss the space race. We hardly have a space program now. The bankers and their political cronies are robbing everything. We should pass a law that bankers should get a lashing for every dollar they have stollen. That would make them think twice before stealing anything.

fraroc
08-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I miss the space race. We hardly have a space program now. The bankers and their political cronies are robbing everything. We should pass a law that bankers should get a lashing for every dollar they have stollen. That would make them think twice before stealing anything.

Well, if you want to get techincal. Back in the 50s and 60s, people predicted that by the 2000s, new technology would sprout in travel, why do you think sci-fi movies from that period had flying cars and the sort? Instead, technology REALLY sprouted in communication and personal electronics. Cell phones are smaller than ever, they do much more that call people, TV sets are virtually 2D now, Video Games are now basically playable movies....

Somehow I think the reason why we don't have a space race is because of all the technological advances in communication as opposed to travel.

Seshmeister
08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Funny, all the press I am seeing about this takes great pains to point out there is no actual evidence of life on Mars.

NASA has taken great pains to hide a LOT of stuff from the public about the Moon and Mars.

Really?

I get the impression it's the exact opposite.

Seshmeister
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
This mission seems like a scary gamble.

$2.5 billion and to get a couple of tons to land unmanned seems ridiculously complicated and risky.

There are all sorts of stages trying to get the thing safely from 13000 mph to 1.5 mph.

TJMKID
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
This mission seems like a scary gamble.

$2.5 billion and to get a couple of tons to land unmanned seems ridiculously complicated and risky.

There are all sorts of stages trying to get the thing safely from 13000 mph to 1.5 mph.

Using retro-rockets and a winch to lower the rover to the surface seems overly complicated and more opportunity for failures.

Why not deploy a huge balloon around 6 miles altitude to allow a slow and safe landing?

Seshmeister
08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Seems nuts to me, hope it works.

jhale667
08-05-2012, 11:56 PM
That's gonna be the biggest 7-minute white-knuckle session at NASA headquarters in recent memory....hope it works, too~!

BITEYOASS
08-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Or you could just land a damn lunar module and have an unmanned vehicle pop out a hatch with explosive bolts, then roll down a ramp. How hard is that?

BITEYOASS
08-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Speaking of the future, WHERE'S MY FUCKIN' HOVERBOARD?!?!

Dan
08-06-2012, 12:44 AM
They Can Do It.:D

Nitro Express
08-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Well, if you want to get techincal. Back in the 50s and 60s, people predicted that by the 2000s, new technology would sprout in travel, why do you think sci-fi movies from that period had flying cars and the sort? Instead, technology REALLY sprouted in communication and personal electronics. Cell phones are smaller than ever, they do much more that call people, TV sets are virtually 2D now, Video Games are now basically playable movies....

Somehow I think the reason why we don't have a space race is because of all the technological advances in communication as opposed to travel.

Yeah but I'm flying to Singapore in a few days. I'm going to be spending around 15 hours on an airplane. It's 2012. I sould be able to beam there.

LoungeMachine
08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
NASA got the whole "feet vs. meters" thing worked out first, right?

:gulp:

Sometimes I get the feeling they get their ideas from Wile E Coyote and ACME

jhale667
08-06-2012, 01:47 AM
So cool. Touchdown, transmitting images...kick ass.

You asked for pics from my trip. Here you go! My 1st look (of many to come) of my new home... MARS! #MSL twitter.com/MarsCuriosity/…— Curiosity Rover (@MarsCuriosity) August 6, 2012

LoungeMachine
08-06-2012, 02:17 AM
NASA has landed on Mars!!!....they've already sent back images of a Starbucks [2 actually], a Guitar Center, and a Chick-Fil-a Franchise.....nope, no intelligent life there, either.

I'll be here all week, try the veal

Seshmeister
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Speaking of the future, WHERE'S MY FUCKIN' HOVERBOARD?!?!

Back to the Future II was set in 2015, you need to be patient just another few years to go.

Nickdfresh
08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
The Seven Minutes of Terror Vid. (http://youtu.be/kQ_8Md4iK-o)

Seshmeister
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
That's the first pictures back now...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/394753_245347868919484_564146717_n.jpg

vandeleur
08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
:lmao:

ZahZoo
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
First real pic...

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/REU-USA-MARS-1.jpg

Satan
08-06-2012, 11:52 AM
NASA has landed on Mars!!!....they've already sent back images of a Starbucks [2 actually], a Guitar Center, and a Chick-Fil-a Franchise.....nope, no intelligent life there, either.

I'll be here all week, try the veal

What? No sailors fighting in the dance halls??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--IqqusnNQ

chefcraig
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
What? No sailors fighting in the dance halls??

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/CountessRavenstein/Star%20Trek/insp_fightmusic.png

Nitro Express
08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
That's the first pictures back now...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/394753_245347868919484_564146717_n.jpg

Maybe what did in the space program is we finally got far enough to take pictures of the other planets real estate and saw it was real shit and lost all incentive to move to those places.

clarathecarrot
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Dear NASA,

Send robots there is nothing there.
To risky for humans unless you can cut the journey to two weeks.

Thankyou,
Everyone

Elvis KNOWS!!!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?49664-Greys!!!

Zing!
08-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Really?

I get the impression it's the exact opposite.

Agree. Seems like they've been hinting at life on Mars for awhile now.

fourthcoming
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Maybe I'm really off base with this but really? we are still spending billions upon billions through NASA for nothing? Exactly what has this great space exploration given us in the last 60 years? What disease did we find a cure for in space? Ok, great....we can watch the world, and use satellites for TV, cell phones and computers. Doesn't anyone think the money we spend on the space program could probably help us earthlings? Am I missing something? Life on Mars? Really? We won't concentrate on not fucking up our current planet but we'll explore the possibilities for life on Mars.....WTF?

Seshmeister
08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
If when you say 'we' you mean the US then you would be insane not to. The space program makes up 0.5% of federal spending.

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chtt=NASA%20budget%20Vs.%20Military%20budget&chs=740x275&chco=0e3bef,ff0f0f&chd=t:1.8,98.2&cht=p3&chl=2010%20NASA%20budget|2010%20Military%20budget

A huge part of the US competitive technological advantage in trade has come from the space program.

For every dollar spent the estimates back are between $15 and $80 for each $1 put in depending on who you listen to.

You have two choices. You can either compete with Indians and Chinese on price or on technology. Have a look at how much the average Chinese or Indian worker makes each month and then make your choice.

clarathecarrot
08-06-2012, 02:47 PM
If when you say 'we' you mean the US then you would be insane not to. The space program makes up 0.5% of federal spending.

A huge part of the US competitive technological advantage in trade has come from the space program.

For every dollar spent the estimates back are between $15 and $80 for each $1 put in depending on who you listen to.

You have two choices. You can either compete with Indians and Chinese on price or on technology. Have a look at how much the average Chinese or Indian worker makes each month and then make your choice.

I have always thought the space program in any shape or form was our best money spent, it is the same to me as ancient mariners voyaging out to uncharted seas and lands unknown..nothing more than that it is a noble cause.

I do however think if we wait we will be able to develop better technology thru time and not thru chance experiment involving humans.

Our robot tech is just the same or better suited than human, and if it is all about claiming the land in the name of SPAIN!!! or America!!! and you cannot claim the mineral rights without a human stepping foot and planting a flag on it, it still isn't worth the waste of life that may occur 6 months one way to Mars.

The only people conditioned for that are in solitary on Rikers Island.

clarathecarrot
08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I used to have fun at the NASA site driving one of the rovers around it is, "virtual like" it is a huge TIFF or some image and you actually can drive around the areas recorded by the rovers cameras, free handed... like, lets, roll over and look at that rock over there, pretty cool.

Don't know if it still set up..?

binnie
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Mars doesn't exist.

It's a CIA ploy to distract us from the TRUTH.

The TRUTH!

jhale667
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Mars doesn't exist.

It's a CIA ploy to distract us from the TRUTH.

The TRUTH!

This landing story is so scripted it's ridiculous...and they already know it's name! We're supposed to believe it did ALL that in 7 minutes, and now is transmitting "pictures" of the landing site??

Some of you are SO GULIBLE it's pathetic...

binnie
08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
You're all brainwashed by popular culture.

Fags and commies, fags and commies.

ZahZoo
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Maybe I'm really off base with this but really? we are still spending billions upon billions through NASA for nothing? Exactly what has this great space exploration given us in the last 60 years? What disease did we find a cure for in space? Ok, great....we can watch the world, and use satellites for TV, cell phones and computers. Doesn't anyone think the money we spend on the space program could probably help us earthlings? Am I missing something? Life on Mars? Really? We won't concentrate on not fucking up our current planet but we'll explore the possibilities for life on Mars.....WTF?

I think you missed a few things...

What products have been created by NASA and space exploration?
Posted on February 3, 2010 by Dale Jackson

From spacecoalition.com…
360 Degree Camera
3-D Synthetic Vision Flight Displays
Advanced Hydrogen Sensors
Advanced Lubricants
Advanced Welding Torch
Aerodynamic Bicycle Wheels
Air Catalysts for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Aircraft Collision Avoidance
Aircraft Design Analysis
Airline Wheelchairs
Airliner TV Transmission Via Satellite
AiroCide TiO2 Air Purifier
Anthrax Smoke Detector
Arteriosclerosis Detection
Artificial Heart
Astronaut Plant Bag
Athletic Shoes
Audiometric System for Hearing Assessment
Automated Urinalysis
Automatic Insulin Pump
Automotive Design
Automotive Insulation
BAFCO Linear Actuators
Balance Evaluation System
Biomass Production System for Education
Bioreactor Demonstration System
Bioreactor Human Tissue Growth
Bone Analyzer
Breast Biopsy
Breast Cancer Screening
Bridge Safety Improvements
Cabin Pressure Altitude Monitor and Warning System
Camera on a Chip
Cardiac Pacemaker
Cataract Surgery Tools
Chemical Warfare Hood
Chromosome Analysis
Clean Room Apparel
Clean Water for Homes
Coastal Zone Color Scanner
Compact Blood Diagnostic Equipment
Compact Fire and Rescue Extraction Devices
Composite Forceps
Composite Materials Development – Golf Clubs
Computer Joysticks
Computer-Aided Tomography (CAT Scanner)
Computer Reader for the Blind
Convection Oven
Cool Vest Therapeutic Suits
Cordless Power Tools and Appliances
Corporate Jet Wing Designs
Corrosion Protection Coating
Crop Dusting Improvements
Crop Growing Improvements
DeBakey Heart Pump
Dental Arch Wire
Digital Mammography
Diving Optical Profiler
DMI Remote Sensing Fish-Finding Service
Doppler Radar
Ear Thermometer
Edible Toothpaste
Electric Car
Emission Testing
Emulsified Zero-Valent Iron Remediation
Energy Storage Systems
Engine Coatings
Engine Design
Engine Lubricant
Failsafe Flashlight
Fetal Heart Monitor
Fire Detection Systems
Firefighter Breathing System
Firefighter Radios
Firefighting Equipment
Fireman’s Air Tanks
Fitness Equipment
Flame Detector
Foam-In-Place Seating Technology
Freeze Drying Technologies
Gas Detector
Gasoline Vapor Recovery
Geosynchronous Orbiting
Golf Ball Aerodynamics
GPS Navigation
Helmet Padding
High Temperature Soldering Blocks
High-Pressure Waterstripping
Historical Document Condition Analysis
Home Insulation
Human Tissue Stimulator
Implantable Heart Aid
Improved Aircraft Engines
Inertial Motion-Tracking for Virtual Reality
Infrared Camera
Infrared Thermometer
Insulation
Insulin Pumps
Interactive Computer Training
InTime Agricultural Remote Sensing
Invisible Braces
Kidney Dialysis
Land Mine Removal Device
Laser Angioplasty
Laser Heart Surgery
Laser Wire Stripper
Lead Poison Detection
Lifeshears – Emergency Rescue Cutters
Lightning Protection
Low Vision Enhancement System (LVES)
Lubricant Coating Process
Machine Tool Software
Magnetic Bearing System
Magnetic Liquids
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Medical Gas Analyzer
Methane-Powered Vehicles
Microelectromechanical Systems
Microlasers
Miniature Accelerometers
Modified Carbon Nanotube Materials
Ocean Fluorometer
Ocular Screening
Oil Spill Control
PackBot Tactical Mobile Robot
Palate Surgery Technology
Personal Storm Warning System
Pesticide-Free Mosquito Killing System
Phenotype MicroArray
Photodynamic Therapy
Physical Therapy
Pill Sized Transmitter
Plantronics Wireless Communications Devices
Portable X-Ray Device
Precision Lightning Strike Location System
Programmable Pacemaker
PRO-SAN Non-Toxic Microbicidal Santizer
Prosthesis Material
Protective Clothing
PureSense Water and Air Purification Systems
Quartz Clock
Radiant Barrier Technology
Radiation Hazard Detector
Real-Time Emergency Action Coordination Tool
Remote Controlled Light Switch
Remote Command and Control Appliances
Ribbed Swimsuit
Robotic Arms
Robotic Hands
Satellite Computer Data Transmission
Satellite Computer Image Transmission
Satellite Crop Growth & Monitoring
Satellite Fishing Technology
Satellite Stabilization
Satellite Telephone Signal Transmission
Satellite TV Transmission
School Bus Improvements
Secure Mobile Router System
Self-Locking Fasteners
Self-Righting Life Raft
Ski Boots
Skin Care Product Effectiveness Technology
Smoke Detector Improvements
Smoke Penetrating Forest Fire Analysis
Solar Power Technologies
Solid State High-Power Transmitters
Space Pens
SpiraFlex Resistance Exercise Device
Stadium Roofing Fabric
Standing Wave Reflectometer Wire Analyzer
Studless Winter Tires
Sunglasses Blocking Harmful Rays
Surgical Brain Tumor Probe
Temper Foam Technology
Temperature Pill
Thermal Gloves and Boots
Thermal Protection Insulation
Three-dimensional Thermal Tomography in Radiation Oncology
Tire Deflating Devices – MagnumSpike
Tollbooth Air Purification
Ultrasound Scanners
Ultrasound Skin Damage Assesment
VEGGIE – Deployable Vegetable System
Vehicle Brake Improvements
Vehicle Tracking
Velcro
Video Stabilization
Virtual Reality
Vision Screening System
Voice Controlled Wheelchair
Warfighter Accelerated Recovery
Waste Heat Energy Conversion
Waste Water Purification
Water Purification
Weight Saving Composite Materials
Welding Sensor System
Whale Tracking Technologies
Windshear Prediction
WindTracer for Tracking Aircraft Wake Vortices
Wireless Communications
ZipNut

DONNIEP
08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I wish this new rover's wires would get crossed and all it would transmit are pictures from the Muff thread :biggrin:

DONNIEP
08-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Advanced Lubricants

They don't call it Astro Glide for nothin' :) :gulp:

Nitro Express
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Is that love rocket lube?

DONNIEP
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Is that love rocket lube?

It certainly is! Astroglide - NASA developed and approved for those nights when your girlfriend's cooch is as dry as the surface of Mars... :gulp:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-06-2012, 04:06 PM

checkin' out the beer crater

ZahZoo
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
In the quest for other life in the universe the better place to send robots would be Jupiter's moons Ganymede & Europa. Both have oxygen atmospheres and known water content.

Sensible Shoes
08-06-2012, 09:29 PM
If there is life on Mars, can we hook them up with the dating sites?

Nickdfresh
08-06-2012, 09:56 PM

It's probably microbial, like many of the people you find on dating sites here...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Dear Religion, While you were debating what chicken sandwiches were okay to eat, I just landed on Mars. Sincerely, Your Pal Science— Mike Huddleston (@MKHDDLSTN) August 6, 2012

LoungeMachine
08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
England hosts the Olympics........

So we land on Mars.

America, FUCK YEAH

DONNIEP
08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
England hosts the Olympics........

So we land on Mars.

America, FUCK YEAH

U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!!! :gulp:

Angel
08-07-2012, 01:18 AM
U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!!! :gulp:

....With a little help from your friends :biggrin:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/08/03/f-mars-rover-canadian-technology.html

LoungeMachine
08-07-2012, 01:47 AM
....With a little help from your friends :biggrin:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/08/03/f-mars-rover-canadian-technology.html

Yeah, but Nickleback negates any help you provided.

Sorry, eh.

Hardrock69
08-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Been reading a book the last couple of weeks on the history of anti-gravity research.

Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion by Paul A. Laviolette, Ph.D.

By 1955, it had been discovered how to travel at 85% of the speed of light by applying 310 volts at a few milliamps to a saucer-shaped object with a pair of electrodes......

By 1957 ALL the major aerospace corporations were publicizing how they were getting involved in anti-grav research, saying we would have aircraft that could fly at 10,000 mph within a decade or so....then about 1959 they suddenly all went silent, and everything became heavily classified.....

I look at this Mars lander stuff as a smokescreen....

I mean, it is all well and good to keep the public interest going on about space, etc.

But truth be told, the former head of Lockheed Skunkworks said in an interview in the late 90s that they already had interplanetary travel capabilities....as in "Star Wars, Star Trek...been there, done that...."

So to me this is all a dog and pony show. Simply a way for scientists who are not in the loop to do some low-level research that only has value for them because they do not know anything about advanced technology, as they don't have high enough security clearances.

No, not needing to be fitted for a tin-foil hat. Just going by what factual information on that subject is publicly available.

There was a show on cable this evening about the landing. They detailed all of the Mars probes since the 70s....including the ones that failed.....

Glad this one succeeded in landing. It will keep Congressional budgets for NASA from being slashed....at least it will keep them from being slashed too much....

fourthcoming
08-07-2012, 09:09 AM

From spacecoalition.com…
360 Degree Camera
Advanced Lubricants
Advanced Welding Torch
Aircraft Design Analysis
Airline Wheelchairs
Anthrax Smoke Detector
Artificial Heart
Astronaut Plant Bag
Athletic Shoes
Automated Urinalysis
Automatic Insulin Pump
Automotive Design
Automotive Insulation
BAFCO Linear Actuators
Bone Analyzer
Breast Biopsy
Breast Cancer Screening
Camera on a Chip
Cardiac Pacemaker
Cataract Surgery Tools
Chemical Warfare Hood
Chromosome Analysis
Clean Room Apparel
Clean Water for Homes
Composite Forceps
Computer Joysticks
Convection Oven
DeBakey Heart Pump
Dental Arch Wire
Digital Mammography
Diving Optical Profiler
Doppler Radar
Ear Thermometer
Edible Toothpaste
Electric Car
Emission Testing
Energy Storage Systems
Engine Coatings
Engine Design
Engine Lubricant
Failsafe Flashlight
Fetal Heart Monitor
Fire Detection Systems
Firefighter Radios
Firefighting Equipment
Fireman’s Air Tanks
Fitness Equipment
Flame Detector
Gas Detector
Gasoline Vapor Recovery
Geosynchronous Orbiting
Golf Ball Aerodynamics
GPS Navigation
Helmet Padding
Home Insulation
Human Tissue Stimulator
Implantable Heart Aid
Infrared Camera
Infrared Thermometer
Insulation
Insulin Pumps
Invisible Braces
Kidney Dialysis
Land Mine Removal Device
Laser Angioplasty
Laser Heart Surgery
Laser Wire Stripper
Lead Poison Detection
Lightning Protection
Machine Tool Software
Magnetic Bearing System
Magnetic Liquids
Medical Gas Analyzer
Methane-Powered Vehicles
Microlasers
Miniature Accelerometers
Ocean Fluorometer
Ocular Screening
Oil Spill Control
Phenotype MicroArray
Photodynamic Therapy
Physical Therapy
Pill Sized Transmitter
Portable X-Ray Device
Programmable Pacemaker
Prosthesis Material
Protective Clothing
Quartz Clock
Ribbed Swimsuit
Robotic Arms
Robotic Hands
Satellite Stabilization
School Bus Improvements
Self-Locking Fasteners
Self-Righting Life Raft
Ski Boots
Solar Power Technologies
Space Pens
Stadium Roofing Fabric
Studless Winter Tires
Temper Foam Technology
Temperature Pill
Thermal Gloves and Boots
Ultrasound Scanners
Vehicle Tracking
Velcro
Video Stabilization
Virtual Reality
Vision Screening System
Waste Water Purification
Water Purification
Welding Sensor System
Windshear Prediction
Wireless Communications
ZipNut

Apparently I'm still missing something. All of these items were created because we send human beings into space? These technologies were captured from the Moon and Mars? Or were they created here on planet Earth. I just don't understand how landing on Mars is supposed to be this tremendous benefit to all mankind. I'm not saying Nasa is useless....just wondering what landing on other planets is supposed to do for anyone or anything other than our country's ego.

ZahZoo
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Actually that's an experiment in the making... seeing if the microbes and bacteria we sent to Mars will mate with what's there.

Seshmeister
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Apparently I'm still missing something. All of these items were created because we send human beings into space? These technologies were captured from the Moon and Mars? Or were they created here on planet Earth. I just don't understand how landing on Mars is supposed to be this tremendous benefit to all mankind. I'm not saying Nasa is useless....just wondering what landing on other planets is supposed to do for anyone or anything other than our country's ego.

That was exactly the kind of question people asked when the Large Hadron Collider was being planned. Some people are still asking it without realizing that it led directly to the World Wide Web.

The act of exploration leads to knowledge and benefits. You don't always know where you are going or what you are going to get when you take the first step.

chefcraig
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
The act of exploration leads to knowledge and benefits. You don't always know where you are going or what you are going to get when you take the first step.

When I was a kid, this was one of the finest discoveries NASA ever made.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/sierraurossie/Tang.gif

These things were badassed as well...

http://img1.imagehousing.com/62/fba42518cd6741e9d70d166897a097de.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1056737)

Particularly when you were playing with this: :rockit2::patriot:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/100/90fa83863f171d83dbc3e129390f99c6.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1056740)

ZahZoo
08-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Well let's take a look at some of the more simple and easily applied benefits from that list. Look at all of the fire fighting technologies that enable firefighters to safely fight fires and save lives. That helps a lot of people... right?

Well... space is a nasty place. Once outside of our atmosphere... radiation, wide temperature ranges both cold and hot... require protective clothing. In other words space suits. Then there's the whole breathing thing... the technology developed to safely put a human in space and been adapted to humans safely fighting fires... thus benefiting in saved lives. That's a good thing... right?

Now no, these technologies were not captured from the moon and Mars... both of those are planet type things that do not produce technologies. All of this wonderful stuff was invented right here on Earth... another planet type thing infested with humans and human like things... like Seshmeister, LoungeMachine & Elvis...

Point is... the research and development of space exploration has produced tons of technologies that have improved life on Earth for those human and human like beings.

It may not be the simple and direct development you are thinking... many were indirect adaptations. Put it simply... if we didn't invest in space exploration, a lot of very good stuff would not have been invented in the last 60 years.

On the benefit to mankind thing... those mankind units are very restless and get bored easily. If we aren't busy working on figuring out the mysteries of the universe then we're out stirring up trouble. You'll notice that millions of humans and human like beings spend their whole lives researching and developing this "space stuff". That may seem like a waste of good time and money... but look at how many of those folks aren't starting wars and shootin up movie theaters. It makes the world safer...

Hardrock69
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok ZahZoo....the nutshell version of that can be summed up in one sentence:

Idle hands are the devil's plaything! ;)

jhale667
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I just don't understand how landing on Mars is supposed to be this tremendous benefit to all mankind. I'm not saying Nasa is useless....just wondering what landing on other planets is supposed to do for anyone or anything other than our country's ego.

Where else are we supposed to live when the Earth gets too crowded? They're already thinking colonization.

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Where else are we supposed to live when the Earth gets too crowded? They're already thinking colonization.

Yep, we'll go back to the original 12 colonies - you know, Caprica, Picon, etc. :biggrin:

jhale667
08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I think I'm going to invest in Terra-forming technologies... :biggrin:

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I think I'm going to invest in Terra-forming technologies... :biggrin:

Strip joints in space...that's where the money is!

Dave's Bitch
08-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Strip joints in space...that's where the money is!

Could call it the 600 mile high club:)

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Could call it the 600 mile high club:)

Perfect!! :thumb:

vandeleur
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
invest in regolith and sulphur = waterless concrete ,and you can make as many spearmint rhino's as ya want :biggrin:

Nitro Express
08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Apparently it's easy to break your penis in space. 4:37

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 04:36 PM
James Bond didn't need no special suit!!!

Nitro Express
08-07-2012, 04:44 PM

I say we send all the assholes to Mars.

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I say we send all the assholes to Mars.

It'd be hard to get Sammy off his bad motor scooter to send him into space...
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/DONNIEP5150/2-10.jpg

fourthcoming
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Well let's take a look at some of the more simple and easily applied benefits from that list. Look at all of the fire fighting technologies that enable firefighters to safely fight fires and save lives. That helps a lot of people... right?

Well... space is a nasty place. Once outside of our atmosphere... radiation, wide temperature ranges both cold and hot... require protective clothing. In other words space suits. Then there's the whole breathing thing... the technology developed to safely put a human in space and been adapted to humans safely fighting fires... thus benefiting in saved lives. That's a good thing... right?

Now no, these technologies were not captured from the moon and Mars... both of those are planet type things that do not produce technologies. All of this wonderful stuff was invented right here on Earth... another planet type thing infested with humans and human like things... like Seshmeister, LoungeMachine & Elvis...

Point is... the research and development of space exploration has produced tons of technologies that have improved life on Earth for those human and human like beings.

It may not be the simple and direct development you are thinking... many were indirect adaptations. Put it simply... if we didn't invest in space exploration, a lot of very good stuff would not have been invented in the last 60 years.

On the benefit to mankind thing... those mankind units are very restless and get bored easily. If we aren't busy working on figuring out the mysteries of the universe then we're out stirring up trouble. You'll notice that millions of humans and human like beings spend their whole lives researching and developing this "space stuff". That may seem like a waste of good time and money... but look at how many of those folks aren't starting wars and shootin up movie theaters. It makes the world safer...

That was probably the most polite and lucid way anyone has ever been sarcastic and slightly patronizing I have ever seen. Point taken Zahzoo. I agree with some of what you say no doubt. I guess we can agree to disagree about certain aspects too. Like anyone really gives a shit anyway.

Nitro Express
08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
The general mindset seems to be we have ruined this planet so lets move to Mars. It's already ruined.

MUSICMANN
08-07-2012, 06:16 PM

From spacecoalition.com…
360 Degree Camera
Advanced Lubricants
Advanced Welding Torch
Aircraft Design Analysis
Airline Wheelchairs
Anthrax Smoke Detector
Artificial Heart
Astronaut Plant Bag
Athletic Shoes
Automated Urinalysis
Automatic Insulin Pump
Automotive Design
Automotive Insulation
BAFCO Linear Actuators
Bone Analyzer
Breast Biopsy
Breast Cancer Screening
Camera on a Chip
Cardiac Pacemaker
Cataract Surgery Tools
Chemical Warfare Hood
Chromosome Analysis
Clean Room Apparel
Clean Water for Homes
Composite Forceps
Computer Joysticks
Convection Oven
DeBakey Heart Pump
Dental Arch Wire
Digital Mammography
Diving Optical Profiler
Doppler Radar
Ear Thermometer
Edible Toothpaste
Electric Car
Emission Testing
Energy Storage Systems
Engine Coatings
Engine Design
Engine Lubricant
Failsafe Flashlight
Fetal Heart Monitor
Fire Detection Systems
Firefighter Radios
Firefighting Equipment
Fireman’s Air Tanks
Fitness Equipment
Flame Detector
Gas Detector
Gasoline Vapor Recovery
Geosynchronous Orbiting
Golf Ball Aerodynamics
GPS Navigation
Helmet Padding
Home Insulation
Human Tissue Stimulator
Implantable Heart Aid
Infrared Camera
Infrared Thermometer
Insulation
Insulin Pumps
Invisible Braces
Kidney Dialysis
Land Mine Removal Device
Laser Angioplasty
Laser Heart Surgery
Laser Wire Stripper
Lead Poison Detection
Lightning Protection
Machine Tool Software
Magnetic Bearing System
Magnetic Liquids
Medical Gas Analyzer
Methane-Powered Vehicles
Microlasers
Miniature Accelerometers
Ocean Fluorometer
Ocular Screening
Oil Spill Control
Phenotype MicroArray
Photodynamic Therapy
Physical Therapy
Pill Sized Transmitter
Portable X-Ray Device
Programmable Pacemaker
Prosthesis Material
Protective Clothing
Quartz Clock
Ribbed Swimsuit
Robotic Arms
Robotic Hands
Satellite Stabilization
School Bus Improvements
Self-Locking Fasteners
Self-Righting Life Raft
Ski Boots
Solar Power Technologies
Space Pens
Stadium Roofing Fabric
Studless Winter Tires
Temper Foam Technology
Temperature Pill
Thermal Gloves and Boots
Ultrasound Scanners
Vehicle Tracking
Velcro
Video Stabilization
Virtual Reality
Vision Screening System
Waste Water Purification
Water Purification
Welding Sensor System
Windshear Prediction
Wireless Communications
ZipNut

That's a lot of stuff. I just wish we would have already set up a lunar base on the moon by now. 40 something yrs. after going to the moon you would think we would have a permanent base there to not only continue to make advancements on those things in that list but to actually build some sort of interstellar craft that would be able to get to places like Mars much faster. It really seems like somewhere after we landed on the moon we became less interested in space exploration and more inclined to just orbit Earth with the shuttle.

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
There'd be more interest in space exploration if the astronauts looked like this:
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/DONNIEP5150/lois-chiles-009.jpg

Seshmeister
08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
A woman...

Nickdfresh
08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
It'd be hard to get Sammy off his bad motor scooter to send him into space...
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/DONNIEP5150/2-10.jpg

Well, we could "march him to Mars," but that would us littering with space junk...

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
A woman...

Not just any woman - that's Holly Goodhead.

Seshmeister
08-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Also Rogers greatest moment which I never tire of...

DONNIEP
08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I completely forgot about that :)

Angel
08-07-2012, 10:45 PM
The cardiac pacemaker was actually created by a Canadian engineer. NASA's contribution was programmable pacers.

ZahZoo
08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
That was probably the most polite and lucid way anyone has ever been sarcastic and slightly patronizing I have ever seen. Point taken Zahzoo. I agree with some of what you say no doubt. I guess we can agree to disagree about certain aspects too. Like anyone really gives a shit anyway.

You caught me on a good day...

My personal interest in all this stems from the fact that all of the scientific advancement has occurred in my lifetime. From the X-15 rocket plane and Mercury programs to the ISS and these Mars robots. So I grew in school learning of Mercury, Gemini & Apollo programs as current events. Not grainy black & white pictures and film in a history lesson. As an 11 year old watching the moon landing live in school was an event that I can't ever forget...

People today take so much of what we have for granted... it's pathetic. But I guess you have to have been around before all this technology existed to appreciate it and truly understand how far we've come in such a short time period. Majority of it all comes from two sources... space exploration and Information Technology. I have been fortunate to have spent my career in the forefront of IT and also have worked on a few NASA related projects.

You can ask why waste the time and money to go to Mars... I'd ask why not. What are you going to do sit around watching reruns of Gillligans Island drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer every night or get off your lazy ass and explore the galaxy..?

Go read Carl Sagan's book Pale Blue Dot... if that doesn't inspire you... change the channel I'm sure Sponge Bob is on... Maybe you'll discover a Crabby Patty...

Seshmeister
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
That was less polite. :)

Nickdfresh
08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Some nice pic's:

http://courantblogs.com/rick-green/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mars-lander-2.jpg

http://timeecocentric.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/mars-rover-03.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

fourthcoming
08-09-2012, 01:39 AM
You caught me on a good day...

My personal interest in all this stems from the fact that all of the scientific advancement has occurred in my lifetime. From the X-15 rocket plane and Mercury programs to the ISS and these Mars robots. So I grew in school learning of Mercury, Gemini & Apollo programs as current events. Not grainy black & white pictures and film in a history lesson. As an 11 year old watching the moon landing live in school was an event that I can't ever forget...

People today take so much of what we have for granted... it's pathetic. But I guess you have to have been around before all this technology existed to appreciate it and truly understand how far we've come in such a short time period. Majority of it all comes from two sources... space exploration and Information Technology. I have been fortunate to have spent my career in the forefront of IT and also have worked on a few NASA related projects.

You can ask why waste the time and money to go to Mars... I'd ask why not. What are you going to do sit around watching reruns of Gillligans Island drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer every night or get off your lazy ass and explore the galaxy..?

Go read Carl Sagan's book Pale Blue Dot... if that doesn't inspire you... change the channel I'm sure Sponge Bob is on... Maybe you'll discover a Crabby Patty...

Ok....I'm not a narrow minded, pigheaded moron so I took your advice, went to the library and took out Pale Blue Dot. Just starting to read it. Your coming from a vantage point of being an 11 yr old remembering the Moon landing. I'm coming from the vantage point of a 12 year old whose class was stopped by a weeping teacher who came in to tell us the Challenger had just blown up. There's always room to learn and be enlightened.....I'm not above that by any means. Not sure if there's any need for your smarmy jabs about Gilligans Island, Pabst and Sponge Bob, but no biggie.

Seshmeister
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Ok....I'm not a narrow minded, pigheaded moron so I took your advice, went to the library and took out Pale Blue Dot.

Cool!

Seshmeister
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
More nerdery

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319480_345233778892213_724475024_n.jpg

fourthcoming
08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Hoth!!!!

ashstralia
08-09-2012, 07:46 AM
apparently our tracking stations here had a hand in it too. tidbinbilla. now that's a uniquely indigenous name!

http://www.australia.com/explore/states/act/act-nature-reserve.aspx

Nickdfresh
08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
More nerdery

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319480_345233778892213_724475024_n.jpg

Welp! Apparently the mysteries have started:

Space junkies try to explain mysterious image in photo from Mars rover
By Ron Recinto | The Lookout – 16 hrs ago

This handout image from NASA, one of the first images from the Curiosity rover which landed on Mars the evening …

A mysterious blotch that appeared along the horizon in a photo from the surface of Mars stirred speculation about what it might be, as two hours later it was gone.
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/49cd4bKtfcFoWLCqDPylNw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/mars.jpg
One image from the Curiosity rover as it landed on the fourth planet from the sun showed a "faint but distinctive" image on the horizon, the Los Angeles Times reported. However, a subsequent batch of images sent from the unmanned rover two hours later showed no trace of the blotch.

One theory put forth by space enthusiasts in the L.A. Times story is that Curiosity had somehow snapped a photo of part of the spacecraft that escorted the rover through the Martian atmosphere crash-landing a distance away.

But to capture that image "would be an insane coincidence," one engineer told the newspaper.

Others say more feasible possibilities would be simply dirt on the lens, or maybe a dust devil twisting far in the distance.

But as more images start to pour into NASA, more is being learned about the rover's pinpoint landing.

In what some are dubbing the "crime scene" photo of the landing zone taken by another satellite, Curiosity is seen on the ground along with pieces of the spacecraft that broke apart as planned on the way to the surface. The photo reveals the heat shield that protected the rover as it entered the atmosphere and the parachute that helped ease the vehicle onto Mars. Also seen are parts of the "sky crane," the spacecraft that carried the rover to the planet, the article noted.

Could the sky crane crashing be the blotch? From another L.A. Times story:

The crime scene photo showed that the sky crane had crash-landed, as designed, about 2,000 feet away—and in the same direction that Curiosity's camera was pointed when it snapped the first photo showing the blotch. The new satellite photo also showed that the sky crane, when it crash-landed, kicked up a violent wave of dirt that had scarred the surface of Mars.

Curiosity mission manager Michael Watkins told the Times if it were the case, "it would be incredibly cool. ... A crazy, serendipitous thing."

Images from Mars have always fueled curiosity.

Remember what folks thought was a huge face on Mars? An image from Viking 1 in 1976 that appeared to show a rock formation with eyes, a nose and a mouth? Later high-resolution imaging and side-by-side analysis proved the "face" to be a mesa, like the flat-topped natural formations found in the southwestern U.S.

As the Curiosity rover readies to begin the scientific discovery part of the mission, maybe more interesting things will be revealed.

Yahoo.com (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/space-junkies-try-explain-mysterious-image-photo-mars-190419541.html)

Photo Gallery (http://news.yahoo.com/photos/nasa-s-newest-mars-rover-slideshow/3-d-view-front-nasas-curiosity-rover-landed-photo-214826100.html)

Nickdfresh
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/yEv3q8esFxQzSXo_HS.94g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD02MTk7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-08-06T081019Z_1970036771_GM2E88618FA01_RTRMADP_3_USA-MARS-LANDING.JPG

ashstralia
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
i'll settle for a lizard lookin thing. and some weird insects for it to feed on.

Seshmeister
08-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Apparently in time we'll start to get much more high res pictures.

All this from 150 million miles away and I still can't get my WiFi to work in my kitchen...

ashstralia
08-09-2012, 08:12 AM
*meme*

imagine time travelling only ten years ago and showing them your smartphone...:)

Seshmeister
08-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Or you could just take it to New Zealand...

Blaze
08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oWjJfb1jN0

ashstralia
08-09-2012, 09:15 AM
every generation says 'where's my hoverboard?'

chefcraig
08-09-2012, 09:18 AM
...You can ask why waste the time and money to go to Mars... I'd ask why not. What are you going to do sit around watching reruns of Gillligans Island drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer every night or get off your lazy ass and explore the galaxy..?

It all depends upon what age you are when making the decision. Sure, if I happened to be between the ages of 8 and perhaps 24, I'd love to dress up like James T. Kirk and go exploring the galaxy and possibly screw green-skinned hotties. Unfortunately, shortly after that time frame of reference, real life begins to take over. Marriages (successful or not), work, financial and familiar stress begin their inevitable tax on your belief system to the tipping point that eventually, you devolve to where getting away from a particularly debasing, humiliating day (or week) some or most evenings involves the consumption of mass quantities of alcohol and basic cable. (Yes, I'm aware of the vague Coneheads reference in that last line.)

Look, I'm all for the exploration of space. Yet at this stage of my life, I'd prefer to do it with a tv remote in hand or my library card. Either way, beer (or vodka), pizza (or a really good calzone), my couch, a/c and some extremely comfortable shorts should be included.

fourthcoming
08-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I missed the Coneheads reference completely.

ZahZoo
08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
That was less polite. :)

I know... there's good days and those that involved tequila the previous night... Visits to Planet Agave usually generate mixed results!!

I LMAO at your comment on getting wireless to work in your kitchen and NASA getting hi-res pics from Mars. So true!! I have to admit thinking about the wheel technology on the rover and how those would look on my Chevy Avalanche truck... I know... Geekdom rules!!

Be glad we've advanced... it wasn't that long ago you had to burn 10 - 5 & 1/4 floppy disks just to move the latest golf game from one PC to another...

fourthcoming
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
All sarcasm aside, I personally want to thank you Zahzoo for suggesting Pale Blue Dot. I'm an Italian American....sometimes I think I know it all. It's not a bad thing to be enlightened from time to time. Planet Agave is a wonderful place btw.

Seshmeister
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
One of my first jobs was to install Microsoft office on 40 PCs.

At that time it came on 35 floppy disks, great fun when disk 33 starts to play up.

ZahZoo
08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
All sarcasm aside, I personally want to thank you Zahzoo for suggesting Pale Blue Dot. I'm an Italian American....sometimes I think I know it all. It's not a bad thing to be enlightened from time to time. Planet Agave is a wonderful place btw.

I'm glad you've taken the interest... the basis for the book was a photo taken of Earth from 3.7 billion miles away by Voyager 1. After traveling in space more than 35 years that same space craft is now entering interstellar space outside the influence of our sun and solar system. It's still operational and sending data back to Earth today which is providing us more information on what lies beyond...

It's not easy to picture just how far the Voyager program has traveled... but it's huge. Here's an artists depiction:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/24/a4ee80a54e5b15941baa3ed31e125085.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1057577)

fourthcoming
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I'll admit I'm in way over my head when it comes to this stuff but it's something new and pretty damn fascinating to learn. I'm In way over my head trying to learn how to play guitar but I'm still trying to do that so why not.

ZahZoo
08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
One of my first jobs was to install Microsoft office on 40 PCs.

At that time it came on 35 floppy disks, great fun when disk 33 starts to play up.

Yep... in the late 80's I worked in a build lab developing a Unix variant designed to run on 486 chip based PS/2's and also IBM System 370 mainframes as a guest. Each week we generated 54 3.5 diskettes, then duplicated 15 copies and distributed to functional test teams. It was a little ahead of it's time... today similar Linix versions running under IBM's Z O/S mainframes power some of the largest web hosting application in the world...

Nickdfresh
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
What about the UFO on Mars, dammnit!!?? :)

In any case, what I find fascinating is that although most of this stuff is pretty expensive and NASA certainly has had its SAE-to-metric fuck-ups, that most of their rovers and probes last long beyond the state expiration date. Once they get it on the surface of the planet that is...

ZahZoo
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
What about the UFO on Mars, dammnit!!?? :)

In any case, what I find fascinating is that although most of this stuff is pretty expensive and NASA certainly has had its SAE-to-metric fuck-ups, that most of their rovers and probes last long beyond the state expiration date. Once they get it on the surface of the planet that is...

After watching Mermaids The Body Found... I think NASA missed the mark we need to be going to water based planets. That's where the Mermaids and UFO's come from...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/fooled-again-by-mermaids-the-body-found-on-discovery/1#.UCPsMqOoXcs

chefcraig
08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
After watching Mermaids The Body Found... I think NASA missed the mark we need to be going to water based planets. That's where the Mermaids and UFO's come from...

Z, did you happen to catch Mysteries at the Museum Tuesday evening on the Travel Channel? There was a segment about the Mars Rover's discovery of water crystals on the planet. You can see the clip HERE (http://www.travelchannel.com/video/spirit-rovers-big-find-16527). (Sorry about the commercial.)

I love these anthology shows, which feature several brief bits of stories of varying interest. They are more or less the televised equivalent of a book or magazine with short chapters, the type perfect for bathroom breaks.

private parts
08-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm glad you've taken the interest... the basis for the book was a photo taken of Earth from 3.7 billion miles away by Voyager 1. After traveling in space more than 35 years that same space craft is now entering interstellar space outside the influence of our sun and solar system. It's still operational and sending data back to Earth today which is providing us more information on what lies beyond...

It's not easy to picture just how far the Voyager program has traveled... but it's huge. Here's an artists depiction:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/24/a4ee80a54e5b15941baa3ed31e125085.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1057577)

By God Voyager 3 better have the "Go Home the Earth is Full" bumper sticker on it or I'm gonna be
really pissed! I'll be the first to vote to cut NASA's budget.

Romeo Delight
08-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I was watching a ntt'l geographic show last night on terra-forming the planet. Looks like getting the temperature of the planet up to a point where the ice would melt is actually feasible...could be done gradually over 100 years. So looks like CO2 is there in a plentiful supply. The tough part would be getting plants to grow and provide oxygen

Seshmeister
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering why is it that the USA through NASA have done something fucking spectacular and amazing and the media is hardly interested.

It was a brilliant bold amazing accomplishment and nobody seems to give a shit.

Guitar Shark
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
But that would take away from reporting on Chick-fil-A's position on same sex marriage.

vandeleur
08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm wondering why is it that the USA through NASA have done something fucking spectacular and amazing and the media is hardly interested.

Good question

jhale667
08-13-2012, 10:07 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/555481_458839250803758_1139188916_n.jpg

jhale667
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/483971_459870410700642_636109069_n.jpg

jhale667
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Serious(ly awesome) picture moment... the view of Earth, Jupiter and Venus from Mars. :baaa:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/391297_10151144726190428_852039768_.jpg

vandeleur
08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Is that a genuine curiosity pic ?? .. Am
Still bitter over the marvin the Martian pic lol

gbranton
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Curiosity won't find any signs of life on Mars........because Chuck Norris has already been there.

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Just to clarify the earlier post...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423477_10151278741465817_1002032719_n.jpg

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 10:22 AM
am totally into curiosity at the mo , managed to get my geeky daughter into it ... working on getting the lad interested but think he was only intersted when i told him we blew shit up today with a laser :biggrin:

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 10:30 AM
am totally into curiosity at the mo , managed to get my geeky daughter into it ... working on getting the lad interested but think he was only intersted when i told him we blew shit up today with a laser :biggrin:

I haven't been keeping up - been locked in the Donniep compound/bootleg recording studio :) Did we blow some shit up real good?? :biggrin:

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
nah it was just a rock , but it started it :)

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
nah it was just a rock , but it started it :)

No joke? Kick ass!! Wonder how long it will be before we can destroy a whole planet? :biggrin:

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
think were working on it ... were doing a good job on this one lol

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
think were working on it ... were doing a good job on this one lol

True, but global warming and pollution take too long. I was thinking more along the lines of the Death Star :biggrin:

Nickdfresh
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Is that a genuine curiosity pic ?? .. Am
Still bitter over the marvin the Martian pic lol

I think it's fake...

Nickdfresh
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Pew! Pew! Pew! NASA's Curiosity Rover Zaps Mars Rock with Laser
SPACE.com By SPACE.com Staff | Yahoo.com (http://news.yahoo.com/pew-pew-pew-nasas-curiosity-rover-zaps-mars-051410654.html) – 10 hrs ago

Image Gallery ("http://news.yahoo.com/photos/nasa-s-newest-mars-rover-slideshow/"=http://news.yahoo.com/photos/nasa-s-newest-mars-rover-slideshow/)

A NASA rover has fired the first laser gun on Mars to take a peek inside a small Martian rock.

The Mars rover Curiosity zapped a rock scientists are now calling "Coronation" on Sunday (Aug. 19) to test an instrument that measures the composition of targets hit by its powerful laser beam. The rover fired 30 laser pulses in 10 seconds at the fist-size Coronation rock in order to analyze the results.

"We got a great spectrum of Coronation — lots of signal," said Roger Wiens, lead scientist for the rover's laser-wielding instrument at the Los Almos National Laboratory in New Mexico, in a statement. "Our team is both thrilled and working hard, looking at the results. After eight years building the instrument, it's payoff time!"

Curiosity's Chemical and Camera instrument, or ChemCam, fires a laser pulses that last just five one-billionths of a second but deliver more than a million watts of power, enough to turn solid rock into an ionized plasma. A trio of spectrometers in the tool then studies the sparks from the laser fire on 6,144 different wavelengths of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light to determine the composition of the vaporized rock.

Sunday's laser firing was primarily target practice for Curiosity, but early results suggest the high-tech instrument is working well, mission managers said. Data from the test showed ChemCam is performing even better than in ground tests on Earth, they added.

"It's so rich, we can expect great science from investigating what might be thousands of targets with ChemCam in the next two years," said instrument deputy project scientist Sylvestre Maurice of the Institut de Recherche en Astrophysique et Planétologie (IRAP) in Toulouse, France.

ChemCam is one of 10 instruments packed on Curiosity that rely on the rover's plutonium power source to study Mars. The $2.5 billion rover landed on the Red Planet on Aug. 5 and is expected to explore its Gale Crater landing site for the next two years to determine if the region could have ever supported microbial life.

gbranton
08-23-2012, 06:19 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vaSs4GS6mRs/UCVEJ-XDpiI/AAAAAAAAbl8/IqKLjaoo30I/aliensnasa.jpg

ZahZoo
08-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Nice video of the landing...

Watch the latest video at video.foxnews.com

Seshmeister
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
What is a bit weird about is that it must be that everything that the mission control is saying, he is reporting what had already happened 15 minutes previously.

Signals from the lander travelling at the speed of light would have still taken that long to arrive back on Earth.

When people ask why do a manned mission, this has to be one of the main reasons.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
neil armstrong died

Fairwrning
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Am I nuts or is this a complete waste of time and money.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-06-2012, 07:17 PM

this thread? no

Seshmeister
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM

You're nuts.

jhale667
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Definitely nuts.

Fairwrning
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
We are spending to see if Mars is "habitable"? I understand its a great learning tool but who and when will anyone live on Mars? Lets say the answer is yes..then what?

PETE'S BROTHER
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
We are spending to see if Mars is "habitable"? I understand its a great learning tool but who and when will anyone live on Mars? Lets say the answer is yes..then what?

pollution

Seshmeister
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Are you the kind of person that if back in the day and you were born in a village and no one knew what was in the next valley would you say lets not go and look?

The cost is tiny compared to pointless stuff like US military spending.

Here's another way of looking at it. Would you have said in the 1950s, what's the point in sending rockets into space?

No one then knew that would give you SAT NAV or hundreds of other things, see the lists above.

You would certainly have asked what the point of the huge particle accelerator in Europe was, the US cancelled theirs because of the cost and a lack of forward thinking.

You wouldn't have thought that a particle accelerator would lead to limitless porn and websites like this but it led directly to the World Wide Web.

It's ridiculous to question blue sky science projects on the internet, if you must then you should do it by a leaflet campaign!

Fairwrning
09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I guess Im the type person that thinks about things a little closer to home..The economy is still in the shitter so whats happening 35 mil miles away ( closest Mars and Earth have been) doesn't seem all that important..I wouldn't have a problem exploring the " next valley".. Maybe I should donate that dollar to NASA instead of the homeless vet with the sign..he's probably scamming me anyway.

FORD
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I say we send Hagar. Why not? He's already written a song about it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoC_V7vl04

Besides, we know that, given the time restraints, anybody who goes to Mars is probably staying there. Especially if he's already in his mid 60s :biggrin:

Fairwrning
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Hell..Hasnt he said he was visited here already?..

Seshmeister
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I guess Im the type person that thinks about things a little closer to home..The economy is still in the shitter so whats happening 35 mil miles away ( closest Mars and Earth have been) doesn't seem all that important..I wouldn't have a problem exploring the " next valley".. Maybe I should donate that dollar to NASA instead of the homeless vet with the sign..he's probably scamming me anyway.

That dollar will end up adding $8 to the US economy if it's spent on space exploration.

I don't understand why people always complain about the relatively small amounts spent on NASA but don't seem to mind the ludicrous crazy money spent on 'defence'.

You've just spent $89 billion on 187 new F-22 fighters which aren't even that great.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/f-22-fighter-loses-79-billion-advantage-in-dogfights-report/

If you had bought 182 instead then that's the 2 year Mars mission paid for.

Seshmeister
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
While we're on the subject of the US aircraft lunacy, I just did a quick count of fighters and it seems to come out at around 2500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_military_aircraft

That's about 6 times as many as China, the UK has 86.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
While we're on the subject of the US aircraft lunacy, I just did a quick count of fighters and it seems to come out at around 2500.

as soon as we miss a payment, they are all china's

ZahZoo
09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Here's a cool picture from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter checking in on Curiosity...

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/feeds/Space.com/660/371/mars-rover-curiosity-tracks-space.jpg

jhale667
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM

The amount spent is peanuts in the overall scheme. Just for example - if we ended church tax exemptions alone, we could send a rover a month to Mars...FOREVER. And they're trying to see if it habitable to see if Terraforming is possible, if we can introduce more water and O2 and make the place begin to resemble earth. After all, given current popluation growth estimates, there's not going to be enough room on earth for everyone several generations from now...

Zing!
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Man- my thoughts exactly. I guess if we don't actually set foot on Mars, it ain't trumping Snookie's baby.

Nickdfresh
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Another cool pic from the orbiter:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/g95GU7B169nNqCAGPkxesw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD01MzQ7cT04NTt3PTU3NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/SPACE.com/Stunning_Mars_Photo_Shows_Curiosity-2a5e76b132a2455be8c26ae0c8730c0f

More at Yahoo. (http://news.yahoo.com/stunning-mars-photo-shows-curiosity-rovers-tracks-space-195711349.html)

PETE'S BROTHER
09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
interesting view this morning

A contrail from a missile launched from New Mexico early this morning could be seen from most of the Phoenix area.

The 40-foot tall missile was launched from Fort Wingate, near Gallup, and directed toward the White Sands Missile Range. A Patriot Advanced Capability 3 Missile was launched to intercept it.

There are reports of the contrail being seen from Tucson to Las Vegas.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/20120913phoenix-unique-contrail-seen-from-valley-nm-missile-launch.html#ixzz26MaXkqWQ

Nitro Express
09-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Of course. We spend most our tax money on the military. Eisenhower's warning about people building arms and starting wars just to make money was true. This has been going on since the 1950's. We built a huge military machine to win World War II and after the war it morphed into a big profit industry. Once the Soviet Union was gone there was no justification for it so let's stir some shit in the middle east. The middle east is the only place on the planet you can have a major war anymore. Nobody else wants to fight.

I mean they just spent a fortune on a new fighter the US Air Force even says we don't need. There is no use for it because there is nobody to fight that has a real air force. We are fighting people with Kalashnikov rifles and RPG's.

Nickdfresh
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Snow on Mars...

Snow on Mars: NASA Spacecraft Spots 'Dry Ice' Snowflakes
By SPACE.com Staff | SPACE.com (http://news.yahoo.com/snow-mars-nasa-spacecraft-spots-dry-ice-snowflakes-115923205.html) – 4 hrs ago.

A spacecraft orbiting Mars has detected carbon dioxide snow falling on the Red Planet, making Mars the only body in the solar system known to host this weird weather phenomenon.

The snow on Mars fell from clouds around the planet's south pole during the Martian winter spanning 2006 and 2007, with scientists discovering it only after sifting through observations by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The Martian south pole hosts a frozen carbon dioxide — or "dry ice" — cap year-round, and the new discovery may help explain how it formed and persists, researchers said.

"These are the first definitive detections of carbon-dioxide snow clouds," lead author Paul Hayne, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., said in a statement. "We firmly establish the clouds are composed of carbon dioxide — flakes of Martian air — and they are thick enough to result in snowfall accumulation at the surface."

The find means Mars hosts two different kinds of snowfall. In 2008, NASA's Phoenix lander observed water-ice snow — the stuff we're familiar with here on Earth — falling near the Red Planet's north pole,. [7 Biggest Mysteries of Mars]

Hayne and his team studied data gathered by MRO's Mars Climate Sounder instrument during the Red Planet's southern winter in 2006-2007. This instrument measures brightness in nine different wavelengths of visible and infrared light, allowing scientists to learn key characteristics of the particles and gases in the Martian atmosphere, such as their sizes and concentrations.

The research team examined measurements the Mars Climate Sounder made while looking at clouds — including one behemoth 300 miles (500 kilometers) wide — from directly overhead, and from off to the side. These combined observations clearly revealed dry-ice snow falling through the Red Planet's skies, researchers said.

"One line of evidence for snow is that the carbon-dioxide ice particles in the clouds are large enough to fall to the ground during the lifespan of the clouds," said co-author David Kass, also of JPL. "Another comes from observations when the instrument is pointed toward the horizon, instead of down at the surface."

"The infrared spectra signature of the clouds viewed from this angle is clearly carbon-dioxide ice particles, and they extend to the surface," Kass added. "By observing this way, the Mars Climate Sounder is able to distinguish the particles in the atmosphere from the dry ice on the surface."

Astronomers still aren't entirely sure how the dry ice sustaining Mars' south polar cap — the only place where frozen carbon dioxide exists year-round on the planet's surface — is deposited. It could come from snowfall, or the stuff may freeze out of the air at ground level, researchers said.

"The finding of snowfall could mean that the type of deposition — snow or frost — is somehow linked to the year-to-year preservation of the residual cap," Hayne said.

Dry ice requires temperatures of about minus 193 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 125 Celsius) to fall, reinforcing just how cold the Martian surface is.

The study will be published in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research. Hayne performed the research while a postdoc at Caltech in Pasadena.

ashstralia
09-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Betcha it's all full of weird rare elements too.

ZahZoo
10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Recent pic from Curiosity... Nasa is trying to figure out what that bright object is in the foreground at the bottom of the picture. First use of the craft's scoop...

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/curiosity%20scoops%20bright%20object.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
NASA's Mars rover finds rock with Earth-like chemistry
By Irene Klotz | Reuters – 10 hrs ago
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/uAcxGVlVT3tgD8OEGxaXeA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NDUwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NDUwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD00NTA7cT04NTt3PTQ1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-10-12T013132Z_1_CBRE89B048O00_RTROPTP_2_SPACE-MARS.JPG
Reuters/Reuters - This NASA image from Mars Curiosity's Mast Camera taken on September 22, 2012 and released October 11, 2012 shows where NASA's Mars Curiosity rover aimed two different instruments to study

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - When scientists selected a rock to test the Mars rover Curiosity's laser, they expected it to contain the same minerals as rocks found elsewhere on the Red Planet, but learned instead it was more similar to a rock found on Earth.

The rock was chemically more akin to an unusual type of rock found on oceanic islands like Hawaii and St. Helena, as well as in continental rift zones like the Rio Grande, which extends from Colorado to Chihuahua, Mexico.

"It was a bit of a surprise, what we found with this rock," Curiosity scientist Ralf Gellert of the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, told reporters on a conference call Thursday.

"It's igneous," Gellert said, referring to rock formed from molten material. "But it seems to be a new kind of rock type that we encountered on Mars."

Curiosity arrived on Mars two months ago to learn if the most Earth-like planet in the solar system was suitable for microbial life.

Last month, Curiosity's laser was used to zap the football-sized rock and the rover analyzed the pulverized material, as well as tiny pits left behind, to determine its chemical composition.

Scientists found the rock lacks magnesium and iron - elements found in igneous rock examined by previous Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity.

The rock, named after a Jet Propulsion Laboratory rover engineer, Jake Matijevic, who died shortly after Curiosity's landing, was also rich in feldspar-like minerals, which provided clues about the rock's history.

"The way in which this type of rock forms ... is like how applejack liquor was made," geologist Edward Stolper, with the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, told reporters.

In colonial times, hard apple cider was put into big barrels and in the winter the liquid would partly freeze. "You'd crystallize out ice and you'd make more and more and more concentrated apple-flavored liquor," Stolper said.

Magma inside a planet can undergo a similar process.

"You melt the interior and it comes to the surface and, just like the applejack, when you cool it, it crystallizes," Stolper said, adding that it takes very particular conditions on Earth to produce this type of magma.

The rover meanwhile has moved on to testing and cleaning of its soil scoop. Eventually, scientists want to funnel soil samples to Curiosity's onboard laboratory for more extensive chemical analysis.

The rover is part way to its first science target, an area known as Glenelg, which has three different types of rock intersecting.

The car-sized Curiosity rover landed inside a giant impact basin called Gale Crater, located near the Martian equator, for a two-year, $2.5 billion astrobiology mission, NASA's first since the 1970s-era Viking probes.

(Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Jim Loney)

Yahoo Photo Gallery (http://news.yahoo.com/nasas-mars-rover-finds-rock-earth-chemistry-013132681.html)

Nickdfresh
11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Mars Mystery: Has Curiosity Rover Made Big Discovery?
By Mike Wall | SPACE.com – Tue, Nov 20, 2012

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/y82JCYveQ09jpFlxDcRU2A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD04MDA7cT03OTt3PTU3NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/SPACE.com/Mars_Mystery_Has_Curiosity_Rover-272156742a1f7a1d0768a9fe8066dbde
NASA's Mars rover Curiosity used its Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) to snap a set of 55 high-resolution images on Oct. 31, 2012. Researchers stitched the pictures together to create this full-color self-portrait.

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to learn what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

The discovery was made by Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars instrument, NPR reported today (Nov. 20). SAM is the rover's onboard chemistry lab, and it's capable of identifying organic compounds — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it.

SAM apparently spotted something interesting in a soil sample Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."

The rover team won't be ready to announce just what SAM found for several weeks, NPR reported, as scientists want to check and double-check the results. Indeed, Grotzinger confirmed to SPACE.com that the news will come out at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, which takes place Dec. 3-7 in San Francisco.

The $2.5 billion Curiosity rover landed inside Mars' huge Gale Crater on Aug. 5, kicking off a two-year mission to determine if Mars has ever been capable of supporting microbial life.

The car-size robot carries 10 different instruments to aid in its quest, but SAM is the rover's heart, taking up more than half of its science payload by weight.

In addition to analyzing soil samples, SAM also takes the measure of Red Planet air. Many scientists are keen to see if Curiosity detects any methane, which is produced by many lifeforms here on Earth. A SAM analysis of Curiosity's first few sniffs found no definitive trace of the gas in the Martian atmosphere, but the rover will keep looking.

Curiosity began driving again Friday (Nov. 16) after spending six weeks testing its soil-scooping gear at a site called "Rocknest." The rover will soon try out its rock-boring drill for the first time on the Red Planet, scientists have said.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/mars-mystery-curiosity-rover-made-big-discovery-183538041.html)

vandeleur
11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Thats totally shit , you cant say we have found something for the history books but were not telling you .
They should have waited to confirm what it was before they mentioned it .
Though it is cool they have found something .

Thats an awsome pic tho so will forgive them

PETE'S BROTHER
11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
they found twinkies

Nickdfresh
11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
They're just fucking with us...

Seshmeister
11-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Remember there was a false alarm before, maybe they are triple checking.

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 05:42 AM
I hope it's something really game changing, I really do. Like a little underground marsfrog colony or something...

How fucking cool would that be?

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 05:57 AM
#science:

Why isn't anybody telling us that pic's from a film set in Broken Hill? :biggrin:

vandeleur
11-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Been reading various guesstimates about what it is they could have found from the pretty impressive possible organic compounds to one massive leap in possibility of a fossil !?!?!?
am guessing that would be some sort of traces of something chemical or of an unexpected nature trapped in rock and soil samples ....
Rather than a fuck off t-Rex ..
Tho that would get the budget up next time :D
Either way they are keeping stum

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Mate, i was only being half facetious. the latest (here) astronomy mag is well worth the read. There's a good article about what conditions are likely to give rise to various unusual mineral crystalline structures. I'd put money on that, I even predicted it back in September. :)

Update for the creationists: He put purdy rocks on mars, too.

Seshmeister
11-22-2012, 06:24 AM
If you landed in a desert area on Earth and looked at 20 rocks it would be a million to 1 that you would find a fossil so I would guess that any find will be chemical.

vandeleur
11-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah ash I know ,i was joining in lol

I had been reading a couple of newspaper blogs about it and because they ain't saying much every bodies curiosity ( pun kinda intended )is up and speculation is flying about .
Which is a good thing , it's good that people are interested in the mission and even better if it finds stuff to pique people's ... Fuck it's hard not to use the word curiosity when your trying not to . But you know what i mean .

Fuck I hope they've found a big footprint :biggrin:

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Haha!! Brilliant van, from this day forth, we shall call her 'intrigue'.

The chicks will think it's a perfume. :biggrin:

vandeleur
11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
If you landed in a desert area on Earth and looked at 20 rocks it would be a million to 1 that you would find a fossil so I would guess that any find will be chemical.

cant rattle off tim minchin's quote on 1 in 64 million chances happening all the time , but basically it implies that there is a shit load going on and they happen all the time ...
Tho funnier than that :D
But that thought alone makes this shit exciting .

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 06:54 AM
on Earth

We're not in Kansas anymore, toto. :D

Seshmeister
11-22-2012, 08:08 AM
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/wizard-of-oz-killer-synopsis.jpg

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
We represent the lollipop guild!

ashstralia
11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
We should pay props to opportunity, too. The hq Holden of mars rovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_rover

Nickdfresh
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Hope they announce this Friday!

vandeleur
11-23-2012, 03:08 AM
I never knew how long opportunity had been operating that's pretty cool that it just kept going and going .

FORD
11-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Snow on Mars...

Carbonic snow??? Oh shit! The Cassadines are MARTIANS!!! :jaw:

Little Texan
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
I never knew how long opportunity had been operating that's pretty cool that it just kept going and going .

Yeah, they ought to rename it the Energizer Bunny.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/nasas-curiosity-rover-didnt-one-history-books-220131379.html

they won't tell us now...:jaw:

jhale667
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Interesting...

vandeleur
11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Cue crazy conspiracy stories :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
11-29-2012, 02:23 PM
they found a book, huge excitement. they dusted off the cover, it was hagar's.... :019:

chefcraig
11-29-2012, 02:30 PM
they found a book, huge excitement. they dusted off the cover, it was hagar's.... :019:

And even worse, it was a Cliff's Notes version that amounted to exactly three pages repeating the words "I invented electricity, I have achieved far more than any other musician alive or dead, I am a genius-level businessman and the sun shines directly out of my bunghole" over and over again.

ZahZoo
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/mars-curiosity-sand.JPG

They made a mountain out of a molehill.

Curiosity did make a big discovery on Mars, one that had the world speculating about the potential discovery of "organics" on the Red Planet. There's something there all right -- but it's little more than a pile of scientifically relevant sand, experts from the space agency said Monday.

During initial tests, the Curiosity team found hints of complex chemicals and simple organic molecules: evidence of chlorine, sulfur and water in Mars dirt studied by its onboard laboratory, as well as organic compounds containing carbon, the building block of life. But the space agency must now verify that these organics didn’t come from Earth or elsewhere in the cosmos.

NASA urged caution before jumping to conclusions about these complex chemicals.

John Grotzinger, who sparked a wave of rumors two weeks ago when he said that Curiosity had a finding that was “one for the history books,” noted that “patience” is Curiosity’s middle name.

"You have to be careful about what you say and even more careful about how you say it," he said. "I was misunderstood."

“Organics are clearly there,” said Paul Mahaffy Principal Investigator for Curiosity’s Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM). Determining whether or not the organics found are biological in nature is “well down the road,” Grotzinger said during the conference Monday adding that there won’t be a "hallelujah moment” and that the hype surrounding the announcement came down to a “misunderstanding.”

The speculation began on Nov. 20, when Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger of Caltech in Pasadena told NPR “this data is gonna be one for the history books.” Grotzinger works on a team studying data from the rover’s Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument, an onboard chemistry lab able to identify organic compounds -- carbon-based molecules that are essentially the building blocks of life.

Grotzinger’s enthusiasm led to wildly overblown speculation that such compounds -- as well as biological compounds, little green men, and even Jimmy Hoffa -- had been found.

"We have a globally representative material that we have analyzed with all the instruments," Grotzinger said. "These comprehensive investigations are going to be the basis on which we make major discoveries. But we're going to have to be patient."

"We're doing science at the speed of science in a world that goes at the speed of Instagrams."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/12/03/tantalizing-hints-organics-on-mars-nasa-says/#ixzz2E5p5QQTy

Seshmeister
12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
John Grotzinger, who sparked a wave of rumors two weeks ago when he said that Curiosity had a finding that was “one for the history books,” noted that “patience” is Curiosity’s middle name.

"You have to be careful about what you say and even more careful about how you say it," he said. "I was misunderstood."

Silly man.

Nickdfresh
04-09-2014, 08:05 AM
New "UFO" photo ;) :

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/vJ09wLtJwLIReq24xSKiVQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTI0NDtweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz02NzU-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/theatlanticwire/UFO_Spotters_Are_Very_Excited-8e024c9d6152f3cf0a2f89b9fe33a388

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/ufo-spotters-very-excited-suspicious-nasa-photo-mars-143042715.html)

Jérôme Frenchise
04-09-2014, 11:12 AM
New "UFO" photo ;) :

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/vJ09wLtJwLIReq24xSKiVQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTI0NDtweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz02NzU-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/theatlanticwire/UFO_Spotters_Are_Very_Excited-8e024c9d6152f3cf0a2f89b9fe33a388

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/ufo-spotters-very-excited-suspicious-nasa-photo-mars-143042715.html)

I can see it too. It is no UFO though - a UMT at best (Unidentified Martian thingummabob).

As usual, UFO make-believers use doubtful, unverifiable stuff for their cause...

I like the pic a lot apart from that - those black mountains in the background make it all look like landscape from the Earth.

In the meantime, some crackheads keep on stating a manned trip to Mars would be possible... Whatever. :)