PDA

View Full Version : If you could permanently remove one song from the setlist, which would it be?

loucap81
08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm going with You Really Got Me. I never cared for the original, it doesn't excite me in the least bit (other than improvised jams during it), it's been massively overplayed since Van Halen I came out, and I truly would not shed a tear if I never heard it again.

I posted a poll because those other songs are ones that have frequently come up in other tour discussions, and I figure they will get the bulk of the votes.

fourthcoming
08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Dance The Night Away or You Really got me or Pretty Woman.....I would say Jump but that's not going to happen.

Sensible Shoes
08-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Oh I don't think it's about what will really happen - just what you're sick of hearing and that is.........JUMP.

fourthcoming
08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Ok.....Then Jump it is.......someone needs to start a thread for which 1 song would you include in the set as well......I'm casting my vote for D.O.A. right now.

Seshmeister
08-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Pretty Woman.

The others listed have some musical merit even if we are a bit bored of many of them.

loucap81
08-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh I don't think it's about what will really happen - just what you're sick of hearing and that is.........JUMP.

That's right. I don't think any of these songs will ever be removed either, which is unfortunate.

To be fair though, I think most bands do have about 5 songs that they play at just about every concert that the die-hards are tired of.

Dave's Bitch
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I would like them to remove the drum solo

Nitro Express
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Got rid of that horrible bass solo by dumping Hot Sauce.

envy_me
08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Jamie's crying. Totally pointless song, with bad verses and even worse chorus.

Nickdfresh
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM

You're out of your mind, listen to the live version on The US Festival bootleg(s), it fucking shines in all its glory...

Nickdfresh
08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I voted "Jump". Not that I dislike the song, but it comes off stiff and perfunctory live. I don't even think the band likes it very much, but they feel they have to play it as it was probably their first true crossover hit...

envy_me
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
You're out of your mind, listen to the live version on The US Festival bootleg(s), it fucking shines in all its glory...

I haven't heard that version, but it's the melody in the chorus that bothers me the most.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
jump :lever:

loucap81
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM

It was left off the setlist for all but 4 shows this year. I'm only considering songs that it's obvious they have no intention of dropping.

I will say this though, I didn't mourn not hearing "Jamie's Cryin'" for most of the shows. It's always been one of my least favorite songs. I'm pretty sure it was the last song written for the first album and to me, it sounds like it was written quickly.

A sizable number of fans don't care for Little Dreamer, they think it's a buzzkill. I for one love Little Dreamer, but I think Jamie's Cryin' is the buzzkill.

envy_me
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
It was left off the setlist for all but 4 shows this year. I'm only considering songs that it's obvious they have no intention of dropping.

I will say this though, I didn't mourn not hearing "Jamie's Cryin'" for most of the shows. It's always been one of my least favorite songs. I'm pretty sure it was the last song written for the first album and to me, it sounds like it was written quickly.

A sizable number of fans don't care for Little Dreamer, they think it's a buzzkill. I for one love Little Dreamer, but I think Jamie's Cryin' is the buzzkill.

Okey, with those conditions, I choose You really got me.

vaijuju
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
in 2012 i've no pleassure to listen Runnin With the devil or Jump!

binnie
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Pretty Woman.

Never dug it.........

loucap81
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Someone said in another thread, and I agree, that if they played "Intruder" before Pretty Woman it would make it a whole lot better.

What makes Pretty Woman more tolerable than YRGM or Jump in my opinion is that it moves quickly. But that stretch in the current setlist of Pretty Woman / Drum solo / YRGM...I hate to want to get part of a 110 minute concert that I paid good money for over with, but when I was at the shows, I was thinking exactly that.

People complained when YRGM was the opener and I pretty much agree. But there was one saving grace with that--it got that song out of the way.

chuckjitsu
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Voted Pretty Woman, but gave I'll Wait serious consideration as it's never been a particular favorite of mine. I don't mind Jump, but I wish it was somewhere else in the set list instead of the "encore" slot. Also wish they'd rotate Beats Workin, As Is and Outta Space in as well.

VAiN
08-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm going to look at this like a trade in sports.. If you want quality, you have to give quality. I'm for trading a SGMAD for LUTS. I'd gladly trade Outta Love Again for D.O.A. and how about And The Cradle Will Rock for One Foot Out the Door?

fourthcoming
08-08-2012, 12:26 AM

Little Dreamer was fantastic in 07-08

Dave's Bitch
08-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Not sure if they ever squeeze Drop Dead legs in there but if not they should

Zing!
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
You Really Got Me. They owe no favors to The Kinks, and I'd rather hear WHATGTG? than YRGM again live...

bueno bob
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Why Can't This Be Love.

And just like that, it's done.

Satan
08-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Jump AND I'll Wait. They both need to be gone.

Why? Because classic Van HALEN is timeless.

ADKOT works because it's the classic Van HALEN sound. It doesn't matter that some of the songs were written in 1976 (She's The Woman) or that some were written in 1985 (Blood and Fire) and that others were written in the present day, it all sounds like timeless, classic Van HALEN.

Jump and I'll Wait sound like exactly what they are - mid 80's synth pop. The only two songs this band ever recorded which are not "timeless". And big hits or not, it's time to leave them in the past, and leave the synthesizer on Howdy Doody Mountain next time they hit the road.

Satan
08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Not sure if they ever squeeze Drop Dead legs in there but if not they should

I'm actually surprised they haven't busted that one out yet. The fact that it actually turned up in soundcheck form on the Velveetapalooza 2004 tour means that Eddie (even in the sorry shape he was in then) was interested in playing it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2S7pJDQSyE

Green Manalishi
08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Please lose Pretty Woman . It just seems so...so...dare I say..Cover Bandish...THERE.....I said it !
It is totally replaceable by ANY other tune from the first 4 albums (especially Fair Warning )

VanHalenI
08-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Drop Pretty Woman and play Drop Dead Legs. ..

Coyote
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Pretty Woman

Coyote
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM

I'll let that slide on account of you being from Sweden...

Terry
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Went with the poll list and picked Pretty Woman.

I like the recorded version...it works fine on Diver Down. For whatever reason, the song does nada for me live. I don't dislike when the band plays it, but could easily think of a dozen other tunes I'd rather hear.

Like more than a few on this thread, I could give a shit if I never saw Jump played live again...I mean, the BAND can't even jump anymore, fer chrissakes! Never was one of my favorite Van Halen tunes, but also like more than a few on this thread I realize that the band will play Jump regardless.

Am not overly-thrilled with YRGM live, either, but for me it tends to work better toward the end of the set than in the beginning of it.

The band SHOULD fucking dust off Dirty Movies...I mean, shit, Wolf has got 'em blowing the cobwebs off of Girl Gone Bad, The Full Bug, Outta Love Again...there ain't nuttin' with Dirty Movies that the band couldn't handle.

loucap81
08-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Really is interesting how neither Dirty Movies or Drop Dead Legs have been played at a proper live show in VH's history. Especially Drop Dead Legs since it has gotten decent radio airplay over the years. But first things first--they have GOT to do Light Up The Sky.

qikgts
08-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Fuck a bunch of Jump... I'll take DDL any day for the encore!

vaijuju
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Really is interesting how neither Dirty Movies or Drop Dead Legs have been played at a proper live show in VH's history. Especially Drop Dead Legs since it has gotten decent radio airplay over the years. But first things first--they have GOT to do Light Up The Sky.

For Drop Dead Legs , I think Dave have more difficult with the tempo like he had on "Last Call" (Dave's solo) in live ALAE tour !

kwame k
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Jump......never liked the song when it was released and still don't!