PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare starting early

jacksmar
08-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Shriners Hospital cuts 20 jobs

Tampa's Shriners Hospital for Children has laid off 20 people and reduced the hours of about a dozen others in a move administrators say will save the hospital about $2.5 million next year. Only one physician was laid off and no surgeons were cut, said regional hospital administrator David Ferrell. For most of its history, Shriners hospitals were completely funded by charity and interest on stocks, but times changed.

Medicine and technology costs increased. A trend toward outpatient care hurt the hospitals, which had focused on long-term care. A poor stock market took a chunk out of the Shriners Hospitals' endowment. The changes have been 'quite a challenge,' Ferrell said, adding that laying people off is always unpleasant. But he pointed to Shriners mission: Shriners hospitals still accept children without insurance.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/tampa-shriners-hospital-cuts-staff-considers-expansion-of-rehabilitative/1244876

FORD
08-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice selective edit of the article. I notice you left out this part....

Two years ago, Shriners hospitals started accepting insurance and Medicaid. That move, along with a focus on fiscal efficiency, is helping the system get through tough times.

Now that sentence alone means that "ObamaCare" would actually benefit this hospital (as flawed of a system as it is)

You also left out this part.....

Ferrell says the cuts at Tampa's location will not affect patient care. Administrators expect to admit the same number of patients and provide the same services.

In fact, they hope to expand.

Ferrell says he has met with Tampa Bay area hospitals, looking for gaps in care that Shriners could fill. One answer: rehabilitative care.

Because Shriners has a history of inpatient care, its Tampa hospital could take in children who have been treated for acute issues and just need a little more recovery time before they go home, Ferrell said.

That could include a child receiving intravenous fluids or one recovering from a head injury, he said.

"We don't look to be profitable hospitals," Ferrell said. "That's not our mission. But if we can help reduce the drain on our endowment, then hopefully it can grow in more stable times."

So what it basically comes down to is, these guys relied too much on the stock market to fund their hospital, so that means the Chimp depression put them in financial trouble, not "ObamaCare", which will actually benefit them, to some extent.

LoungeMachine
08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Editing a cunt-n-paste to start a thread?

:gulp:

weak.

jacksmar
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
FORD and Lounge,
Honest apologies.
The story link is from Tampa Times 8-8-2012.
The story I pasted is from the TBT Times 8-9-2012.

I will add that I didn't add or take away from the paste. It's generally the practice to provide a link to a story. Instead of deleting the story I added the link.

Again my apologies.

chefcraig
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
FORD and Lounge,
Honest apologies.
The story link is from Tampa Times 8-8-2012.
The story I pasted is from the TBT Times 8-9-2012.

I will add that I didn't add or take away from the paste. It's generally the practice to provide a link to a story. Instead of deleting the story I added the link.

Again my apologies.

That happens quite frequently in our whacked out state, jack. You'd be surprised at how often a story is picked up from my local (Sun Sentinel) or The Miami Herald and is reprinted in an altered form throughout the state, and sometimes nation. It's part of the cut n paste lexicon common to bloggers, and unfortunately it has now spread to newspapers. Given the declining circulations of magazines and papers, it's become a common practice to replace real writers with people that have absolutely zero in the way of a journalism degree or experience, and pay them far less than a professional would rate. The era of "News delivered instantly, with little if any of those pesky facts or credibility involved" is well under way. Television got there long ago, when back in 1994 tv programmers watched in awe as the slow-speed OJ chase caused the world to stop turning as millions sat transfixed by their sets in order to witness it. Now, hardly a day goes by when one of our local affiliates breaks into daytime broadcasts to show live footage of some remotely interesting car chase through Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Hell, these stations have to pay for their expensive helicopters somehow.

jacksmar
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Chef,
Thanks man. That's really cool.
As long as I post here, I won't omit or not link. The posters here deserve it.

The Orlando Sentinel has been pretty poor about their reporting.They used to have a really interesting science section. Here in St Pete we have the St Pete Times and the Times really only reprints AP and Rueters. I quit my subscription to the Times a couple of years back.

I get the WSJ at a news stand as part of a morning ritual and I buy the Sunday New York Times. Other than those two I read the Indy Star and the LA Times online.

Again my apologies for the posted story and link provided.