PDA

View Full Version : OK Peeps - That Time Of Year Again - Perseids Meteor Shower Peaks Tomorrow Night....

Hardrock69
08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
You can go out tonight as well to see a lot of them....hell...I have seen them for the past 2 weeks....just that they have been few and far between.....on that note, you will still be able to see them in decreasing numbers over the next 2 weeks.....

Here in Gnashville it is going to be clear, dry and a low tonight of 60....perfect weather. I was hoping it would be like this. The Gods are smiling on me in that department.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/story/2012-08-10/perseid-meteor-shower/56940238/1

Get out your thermos and sleeping bag, this year's Perseid meteor shower will peak Saturday night into Sunday morning. It's already "looking very good," in the words of Bill Cooke, who tracks meteors for NASA at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

"Last night we saw about 75 Perseid fireballs. I'm pretty stoked," he said.

The show will begin between 11 p.m. and midnight on Saturday night and continue until dawn Sunday, says Alan MacRobert of Sky & Telescope magazine. "You might see as many one or two meteors a minute" at its height. The shower will gradually pick up over the course of the night and "continue nice and strong right up until dawn," says MacRobert.

Between 1:30 a.m. and 3 a.m., depending on where they live, sky watchers will also be treated to a three-for-one in the Eastern sky. First Jupiter, then the moon and then Venus will rise, says Conrad Jung, an astronomer with Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland.

As for the weather, the best viewing areas to see the Perseids include Florida, most of Texas, southern New Mexico, the Ohio Valley south to Tennessee, northern Alabama, northern Mississippi, the northern Rockies, and the West Coast, according to the Weather Channel.

Spots where clouds are possible include much of the East, the Upper Midwest, the central Rockies and the Desert Southwest.

If you're still up when dawn begins, "they'll make a nice diagonal line of bright things in the eastern sky," says MacRobert.

The Perseid meteors appear to fall from the constellation Perseus, but are actually leftover debris from comet Swift-Tuttle. They recur each year when Earth passes through the comet's debris trail. Though Saturday is the peak night, the Earth actually started traveling through the debris in late July and won't leave it behind until early August. It's those tiny pea-and sand-sized remnants that cause the shower.

"We only see them when they strike the Earth's upper atmosphere in the last few seconds of their existence, when they blaze up and burn out," says MacRobert.

The best way to observe the Perseids, or any meteor shower, is to find a dark place outside with as little light pollution as possible. Give your eyes at least 10 minutes to adjust to the darkness. Look straight up and be patient. "Shower is really kind of a misnomer," says Chabot's Jung. The falling stars, as they're sometimes called, tend to come more in groups.

Meteor watching can be cold, especially as the night progresses. Bundle up, which is also helpful against mosquitoes: "A sleeping bag makes excellent armor," says MacRobert.

Jung suggests a big thermos of hot chocolate or coffee and "some energetic friends." But don't drink alcohol, as astronomers say it impairs night vision.

NASA will be holding a live online chat during the shower, from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Cooke and his team from the Meteoroid Environment Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center will be online to answer questions. There will also be a live video feed, for those faced with overcast weather that night.

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/perseids_2012.html

Nickdfresh
08-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Of course, we're in a drought here, but tonight it's supposed to be intermittently overcast with rain...

clarathecarrot
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Rainfall in Kansas Report

Still about 10 short.............

I wonder if that missing 10 inches will be enough..

I know my girlfriend could also use those 10 inches...

The amount she has gotten just doesn't get it done...

For the year.

What..?

So my girlfriend sais give me 10 inches and make it hurt so I fucked her 4 times and slapped her..OHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh .....Hickory Dickory.....DOC!!!

More than likely we will get those missing inches in ice storms this winter.

clarathecarrot
08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh those kind of Showers...

Little Texan
08-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I just got through standing outside looking up into the night sky for about 6 minutes, and I haven't seen the first meteor, yet! These meteor showers are always way over hyped and usually a big letdown from my experience. 100 meteors per hour MY ASS.

Hardrock69
08-12-2012, 04:51 AM
I have seen about a dozen over the past 4 hours. Got a photo of at least one. Saw 2 brilliant fireballs that traveled quite a ways in the sky before flaming out.

I have to agree that as of late, they have been sort of sparse. People expect to just look up and see them....well, you have sit there for awhile and get a kink in your neck from looking up, lol.

It was a couple of hours before I saw my first one tonight at about 11. And the hourly rate has just increased. Saw two of them hit in parallel at the same time even.

Most of them are fairly faint, and just last a split second. I still dig it though.

The first one I saw in August of 1966 or 67, I read a kids astronomy book that mentioned the meteor showers were an annual event and generally happened on the same days every year.

I noticed the Perseids were listed for something like August 10-14.....and I realized that date was in that range! So I ran outside, looked up at the sky and saw several meteors almost immediately. I ran back in the house yelling at everyone to come out and see the shooting stars......we set up lawn chairs and sat there for 2-3 hours....and saw one or more every five minutes.

Have not seen nearly anything like that since......

Gotta go back outside now. 3:50 AM....it is now the last hour before it starts getting light, and they really should be appearing more often.

Will report back in a while, but for you, READING FOOL, all you have to do is scroll down to my next post, lol.

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 04:56 AM
We were camping about two weeks ago and I saw two of the biggest things I have ever seen burn up in the atmosphere. Instead of being your typical shooting star these were really thick and bright. Lasted all of a split second though.

SunisinuS
08-12-2012, 05:13 AM
We were camping about two weeks ago and I saw two of the biggest things I have ever seen burn up in the atmosphere. Instead of being your typical shooting star these were really thick and bright. Lasted all of a split second though.

Gees...now I get called into court because you told us you burned them. Thanks Nitro. My boss is a biotch for time off.

:clock:

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Too high up for me to burn anything. I don't have access to anything that can go over 12,000 feet.

Hardrock69
08-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Wow. Got the best photo yet. I must have been looking on my laptop screen at the most recent few photos I had taken, and the 5th one back had a really brilliant meteor on it.

Will post it in awhile when I bring all my gear in. It is gonna start getting light within a half an hour or so.

SunisinuS
08-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Too high up for me to burn anything. I don't have access to anything that can go over 12,000 feet.

I thought you were 6' 8". And if you were wearing heels...well....:fencing:

ashstralia
08-12-2012, 05:24 AM
the trails... i remember leonids (november 17 ish) making giant green streaks in the air; and several that looked to be travelling directly towards us.

Little Texan
08-12-2012, 05:30 AM
I've been outside three times, and I haven't seen the first one, yet. I see more meteors on an average night than I have tonight. There's a bat flying around low where I was sky watching so I'm not going outside again, tonight.

Hardrock69
08-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Too bad you didn't see any....but then, it is always a crapshoot anyway. You don't know how many will appear, how long they will last or how bright they will be or where in the sky they will be when they do.

I saw about 20-30 tonight from 11 PM to 4:30 AM.

These days that is pretty good.

But then, my house is surrounded by minimum 100-foot tall oak trees, and the space in the tree canopy I look through is only about 1/20th of the sky.

Without the fucking trees I would be able to see a lot more.

That was one minor way where Kansas was good for something.....if you wanted to stargaze, you could see horizon to horizon more often than not. Here in the wooded SouthEast, it is the other way around.

Here. Best one I have gotten. Quality is not perfect, as with my crummy dialup connection I cannot upload it uncompressed.

So this will get the point across anyway.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2s78il5.jpg

Nickdfresh
08-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I just saw clouds...

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I thought you were 6' 8". And if you were wearing heels...well....:fencing:

I blew all my money on garters and panties. I have to save up to get the shoes.

Hardrock69
08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
:hee:

ashstralia
08-13-2012, 05:09 AM
i went out at 530 local time. saw 3 in 5 minutes; the moon jupiter and venus framed a remarkable view...

private parts
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Too bad you didn't see any....but then, it is always a crapshoot anyway. You don't know how many will appear, how long they will last or how bright they will be or where in the sky they will be when they do.

I saw about 20-30 tonight from 11 PM to 4:30 AM.

These days that is pretty good.

But then, my house is surrounded by minimum 100-foot tall oak trees, and the space in the tree canopy I look through is only about 1/20th of the sky.

Without the fucking trees I would be able to see a lot more.

That was one minor way where Kansas was good for something.....if you wanted to stargaze, you could see horizon to horizon more often than not. Here in the wooded SouthEast, it is the other way around.

Here. Best one I have gotten. Quality is not perfect, as with my crummy dialup connection I cannot upload it uncompressed.

So this will get the point across anyway.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2s78il5.jpg

NICE! I went out around midnight Knoxville time and only saw two. Which is better than none.

ashstralia
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
here's a cool pic from astronomy.com.