PDA

View Full Version : ADKOT - Six Months Later

chuckjitsu
08-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, we've had 6 months to marinate in it. Anything change for anybody over that period- songs (or the album in general) getting stronger or weaker with repeated listenings? General thoughts?

In some ways, I'm still amazed that the album is as good as it is. With Ed's more recent health issues (which were unknown to me until recent interviews) and the discord that has historically been around the band, I'm still a bit surprised they were able to make an album at all, much less one that kicks ass. Repeated listenings have just reinforced what I felt 6 months ago- the guys were confident and motivated and the result speaks for itself.

For me, my biggest "gainer" over the months has been As Is. I liked it originally, but my appreciation for it has really grown over the months- it's one of the top tracks for me. On a sort of flip side, I was hoping I'd warm up more to Big River, Stay Frosty and TTWN. Didn't happen. I like those tunes, but they weren't able to climb out of my second tier of tunes in to the first tier.

Anybody else? Thoughts?

DLR Bridge
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Good question. I still love the whole damn CD, but if I were to pick a "gainer" it would be Tattoo. One early review of this song, from before any of us heard it, was that it was a "grower". It sure has grown on me, especially since hearing it take on a bit more life live. I also like Big River more now that I've been hearing it on TV in sporting events. Heard it a lot during Flyers-Devils games.

I genuinely hope that the February surprise that the band has alluded to is another batch of slamming tunes.

binnie
08-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Well, I'm surprised that I don't listen to it as much as I thought I would. Part of that is due to that fact that I can only listen to CVH when the sun is shining, and the sun doesn't shine much here! Aside from that it probably means that whilst I like the album (a lot) I feel that some of Dave's work on it is a little underwhelming in places - The Trouble WIth Never annoys me, for instance.

But when I crank it what I hear is HUNGER. And if you'd told me that the new VH record would sound hungry this time last year I'd have laughed.....

fourthcoming
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

NIN1211
08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

Big River and Outta Space...best 2 CVH songs on there.

Fairwrning
08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..

DlocRoth
08-14-2012, 07:15 PM
I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..

I had listened to Tattoo so many times (and fucking loved it) before my CD arrived that I skipped it every time I listened, which is almost twice daily. On the way to and from work.

Anyways, about 2 months ago I gave it a spin. This song absolutely kicks ass. Especially when fully cranked on a nice system. From the last verse through to the end it just charges like a fucking runaway stampede.

So yeah... I guess I like Tattoo again.:biggrin:

Yount
08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.

FORD
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.

Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.

Yount
08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.

Dave has class... 'til you realize what he's singing about.

Coyote
08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm still in awe of the overall sound.

knuckleboner
08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
outta space definitely grew. seemed like a kinda stupid title, initially. and really, aliens? but each time it starts up, i'm going, "holy shit, does this thing cook." fast in, fast out. outta space, indeed.

vandeleur
08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Am still loving it , think hbsd and as is are in the top three tracks on it along with blood and fire which to me was the single , the opening salvo of told you I was coming back would have been a cool way to say hey we're back here is the first single

Monkeeman
08-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Still loving the album on a whole. Grower = Tattoo. I used to start the CD at track 2 for ages, then a few weeks ago I forgot and listened to Tattoo. And loved it. Track I have gone off and now skip = Trouble With Never.

Dave's Bitch
08-15-2012, 04:12 AM
There are a few tracks I still listen to regularly,Mainly Tattoo and China town but I have not played the whole album for some time.I still like the album but when i want to listen to Van Halen i tend to go for Van Halen 1

ashstralia
08-15-2012, 06:23 AM
i've been saying all along tattoo is killer... yeah i skipped it in the early days too, anyone remember my vehement stance against listening to snippets?
driving home with the adkot blasting was one of the best moments in my life.
blood and fire is amazing. stay frosty has some of ed's best work ever. big river is epic. as is speaks for itself. wolf owns hbsd. the trouble with never.. just for that line, 'when was the last time ya did somethin for the first time!' and the hendrixy vibe. outta space.
i can't pick a weakest song... :rockit:

chuckjitsu
08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Interesting thoughts so far, particularly about Tattoo, which seems to be getting more love (or at least more appreciation). I like the song, but for me personally, I would've preferred a "Hey fuckers, we're back!!" type rocker as the first single- China Town, As Is, or Outta Space would've fit the bill nicely in that regard.

I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks after the album had been released and we thought a good alternate title for the album could be Return of the King because Ed's guitar work is just a great return to form. Just top shelf from start to finish. The rest of the album outside of Ed ain't too shabby either!

DLR Bridge
08-15-2012, 11:08 AM
...a good alternate title for the album could be Return of the King because Ed's guitar work is just a great return to form. Just top shelf from start to finish. The rest of the album outside of Ed ain't too shabby either!

Could be another topic all together, but I think a cool alternate title would be "In a World Without End". I love Dave's delivery of that line in Stay Frosty.

fourthcoming
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Or another album title could be....'Guess what Fuckers, we're back!!!'

fourthcoming
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Ok....that was childish....but it's such a great comeback album.

vandeleur
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
how about 1985.
Like any thing after 1984 hadnt happened :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
08-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Dejavu time guys. Those both sound like titles from a "Guess the next album title" thread!

vandeleur
08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
couldnt resist :D

fourthcoming
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I wanted ADKOT to be titled Van Halen VII. I had heard that was the tentative title for the next album before the roof caved in in '85.

DLR Bridge
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
That damn roof.

riggodrill44
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I love "Outta Space". Old f**king School, crank it up and let her rip. "Tattoo" is a keeper especially now that is has context (songs on the rest of the "album"). Catchy. "As Is", "Chinatown"... the power trio on fire. Thunder Funk of "The Trouble With Never" is awesome. Each song has its own story and sound and... I'm drinking the Kool Aid. Love each one.

ADKOT is "different"... but the same, too. I think it is beyond what I expected... and I expected a lot. Love it and it is a big part of my iPod rotation.

Stay Frosty, my friends.

DLR Bridge
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
ADKOT is "different"... but the same, too.

The hardest trick to pull off and they sure did! Ross Hogarth described that very challenge and I'm glad he was part of it. Sounds like he had the right approach towards marrying the old sound with the new.

chuckjitsu
08-15-2012, 04:37 PM
As strong as the "vault" tunes are on this album, I'm a bit surprised that none of them made it on to any of the previous six albums, particularly Diver Down, with its dearth of originals.

Any vault tunes out there that you'd like to see dusted off and polished up? I'd be interested to hear an updated Babe Don't Leave Me Alone.

FORD
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
The circumstances of Diver Down, as I understand it, was that originally there was supposed to be a Live album released in 1982, and that would have bought the band some time before the next record had to be made. But at the last minute, for whatever reason this plan got scrapped, and this left the band on the hook to release an album, according to the terms of their WB contract.

It's not that recording an album within a week or so was problematic for Van Halen - it's exactly what happened with VHII. Difference there is that whole album was already written, and they had been playing the material live for years. And even WACF was mostly stuff they had in the can, even reaching back to the bands earliest demos for songs like "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme".

Fair Warning was the first album they had to write almost entirely from scratch ("Mean Street" being the exception, being a reworked "Voodoo Queen" with a breakdown piece of the original "She's The Woman" thrown in) so that left them with no material ready and the sudden unexpected need to crank out an album. Obviously they managed to turn a song called "Last Night" into "Hang Em High", but my guess is they passed on doing so with other old songs, because Fair Warning had been an obvious departure from the 73-76 material that dominated the first three albums, that they didn't feel comfortable going back in time so soon after that. So they wrote a couple of new songs, and filled the rest of the space with covers (and even so, at barely over 33 minutes, made their shortest album)

As for why they took this approach with the new album? Apparently Wolfie had a lot to do with it. Somebody turned the boy loose in the vaults, and he probably said "Fuckin A, dad! I can't believe you never released this! Let's put it on the new album"

chuckjitsu
08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I suppose the bottom line is that there's a time and place for everything and they felt it wasn't the time or place to mine the vaults further for Diver Down beyond Last Night. I guess Last Night fit or seemed appropriate to where they were at that time. The vault tunes sound great on ADKOT, so I guess that's all that matters, really.

FORD
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, even though they dragged "House of Pain" out of the cobwebs for 1984, it was almost a completely different song from the one that should have been on the first album (but somehow got cut from it. I'd bet there's a finished take of that song from late 1977 in a vault somewhere, with the ending fading into the car horn noise and RWTD, just as it did in the original demo)

DLR Bridge
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Any vault tunes out there that you'd like to see dusted off and polished up? I'd be interested to hear an updated Babe Don't Leave Me Alone.

Your pick and...

Take It Back (Believe Me)
Light In The Sky
The Shape Your In
Get The Show On The Road
Honolulu Baby
Here's Just What She Wanted
Eyes Of The Night

Hardrock69
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I admit I had not listened to this since April. After seeing this thread I blasted it out again last night. Sorta like falling in love again.

Absolutely KICKASS album!

They did such a great job on everything connected with this! The songs are great, the production is good, the publicity they did at Cafe Wha? and Henson and everything was spot on.

For once everything fell into place.

Oh, and I got to see one of the shows on the tour too! :hee:

SilvioDante
08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
This a topic I planned to handle a few weeks ago, but my computer got some wicked bad virus. Now that I am up and running....

Like most of us, after this album first came out, it playing constantly at my place. Indefinite loop. After a couple weeks, I put the songs on my iPod playlist and visited them at random until about June. Then I put them up. I wanted some space to let the songs marinade in mind. About 2 weeks ago, I pulled them back out and this is what I came up with: (If I may be so bold)

Tattoo: 3.5/5 Stars. I cranked this song all the time until the CD came out. Suffered a little burn out on this one. Now, it's a great tune. The "first single" debate will continue here as long as this site continues and I can see both sides of the argument. Bottom line, great tune, might be my favorite solo on the album (the descending part RULES!)

She's the Woman 4/5. Love how this song kicks in. Not much to say but great classic VH tune.

You and Your Blues 3/5. I like this. Great groove. I love the lyrics.

Chinatown 2/5. I get where everyone like this song. I can completely respect the musicianship on this. It just doesn't hit me.

Blood and Fire 3/5. I like it, but not as much as some. Song sounds disjointed at times to me. GREAT lyrics.

Bullethead 3/5. Solid. Nothing stands out.

As Is 5/5. NOW the CD starts for me. This song KICKS. Not enough can be said. Great riff, great lyrics. Love the break. Best song on the CD.

Honeybabysweetiedoll 4.5/5. Remember the 30 sec. slivers we got to hear before the album came out? I thought this song was gonna suck out loud. Man, was I surprised! Second best song. Experimental but still VH.

The Trouble With Never 3.5/5. Poppy, I get it. Hendrex-esque opening is cool. Friends of mine that aren't VH fans ( I know, I need better friends) like this the best off the album.

Outta Space 4.5/5. Just more classic VH. Never liked the Let's Get Rockin' lyrics. You could tell they were written by a high school kid. Step up in the lyric department for me.

Stay Frosty 4.5/5. Its an easy out to call this a "Ice Cream Man rip off". This song is the essence of VH. If I were to name one song that sums up this band, it might be this one. Bar band on 11. Sense of humor. Good time music. That is VH.

Big River 5/5. I love this tune. See Outta Space.

Beats Workin' 3.5/5. Another tune that the 30 sec. clips didn't do justice. Nice ending to the CD.

There you have it. I know this is a Dave site and all, but IMHO, this album is a triumph of Edward Van Halen. As a child of the late 70's early 80's that just happened to play guitar, Ed was/is my idol. There is alot of animosity towards him on this site and I made excuses for him for years, but after 1996, he was dead to me. Until this year. He put his demons, both personal and chemical, behind him to prove, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, that is is a legend in the world of guitar. I think the lyrics to "Blood and Fire" could very well be about him.

This CD also proves who the heart of the band was, David Lee Roth. I look at the Brothers Van Halen as the body of a Maserati. It's a shell, doesn't move. Dave is a 12 cylinder monster. Dangerous and exciting. He who shall not be named is like a 6 cylinder that your would find in most Honda Civics. It's safe and your mom likes to drive it. Then there was the Chevy Volt engine, but I'll ignore that. The 12 cylinder is back in this bad boy and pedal is to the floor. Thanks Dave!

I find interesting that the "best" songs on this album to most of us (As Is, HBSD) are new tunes. Shows that the guys still have it.

I think it is still early to put this CD up with the six pack, but I can see me listening to this CD for a while.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
if nitro sees that 12 cyl comment......... :biggrin:

78/84 guy
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Great thread. I listened to it almost daily for 5 months. Then stayed away from it until about a week ago. I missed it ! It's a great listen overall. I agree with Steve Vai in that interview. It's almost too heavy of a production ! But I didn't get how he said he couldn't listen to the whole album at once ? Whatever. It is a great comeback album without question, even if you don't love all of it. Hell the only original album I love all the way through is VH II. I just hope it sold enough copies throughout the world to in their mind, justify making at least one more ! I want one more ! Anyone else ? Lol. I could use a couple more tunes like As Is & Honeybaby. Instant classics to me. Even if the bullshit radio stations don't play them. Their loss !

ELVIS
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
The circumstances of Diver Down, as I understand it, was that originally there was supposed to be a Live album released in 1982, and that would have bought the band some time before the next record had to be made. But at the last minute, for whatever reason this plan got scrapped, and this left the band on the hook to release an album, according to the terms of their WB contract.

It's not that recording an album within a week or so was problematic for Van Halen - it's exactly what happened with VHII. Difference there is that whole album was already written, and they had been playing the material live for years. And even WACF was mostly stuff they had in the can, even reaching back to the bands earliest demos for songs like "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme".

Fair Warning was the first album they had to write almost entirely from scratch ("Mean Street" being the exception, being a reworked "Voodoo Queen" with a breakdown piece of the original "She's The Woman" thrown in) so that left them with no material ready and the sudden unexpected need to crank out an album. Obviously they managed to turn a song called "Last Night" into "Hang Em High", but my guess is they passed on doing so with other old songs, because Fair Warning had been an obvious departure from the 73-76 material that dominated the first three albums, that they didn't feel comfortable going back in time so soon after that. So they wrote a couple of new songs, and filled the rest of the space with covers (and even so, at barely over 33 minutes, made their shortest album)

As for why they took this approach with the new album? Apparently Wolfie had a lot to do with it. Somebody turned the boy loose in the vaults, and he probably said "Fuckin A, dad! I can't believe you never released this! Let's put it on the new album"

Well, prior to the announcement of a new album, Ed sounded reluctant to record any new material at all, citing that it would only be compared to Original Van Halen, or some shit...

Well YEAH !!

But what you said FORD is spot on and to me it just proves again that Ed's line of "ten albums in the can" is pure bullshit...

:elvis:

78/84 guy
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, prior to the announcement of a new album, Ed sounded reluctant to record any new material at all, citing that it would only be compared to Original Van Halen, or some shit...

Well YEAH !!

But what you said FORD is spot on and to me it just proves again that Ed's line of "ten albums in the can" is pure bullshit...

I would think he meant ideas for ten albums. The guy doesn't write lyrics I don't think. So other than the old demos & a few unreleased songs they never used it's probably just a bunch of jams & riffs on tape. But who knows with this guy !

lajustice77
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
still can't believe how great it is!!

chi-town324
08-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I also put it away for a couple months and then last week pulled it out again...shes the woman really kicks some ass...as well as honey baby ..as is.. hits you right in the face!!..and big river has really grown on me alot fucking love it!..for me they hit a home run with it no doubt!!

Romeo Delight
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
A cool thing happened to me today...I was moving my files from one phone to another and somehow, I made a new 'Album" that combined ADKOT and a one of the Zero cd's. It is an interesting combination of songs and order that I am digging.

Romeo Delight
09-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I am pretty much listening to this new album with such frequency so that it catches up to the six pack although I am not consciously doing so.

It's like water reaching its own level so to speak...

if6was9
09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Since February ADKOT is the only VH album I've been listening to. In fact, it's the only album at all. Really. I just can't listen to any other music. I play 2-3 tracks of something else (even from the 6-pack) and I go back to ADKOT.

"As Is" has been my favourite song since I heard it for the first time. I can listen to it 4-5 times in a row, especially the "lalala" part, which is an essence of rock and roll to me.
I love the enegry in "Bullethead". Right now it's number two on my list, but it changes all the time. Before I was crazy about "You And Your Blues", "China Town", "Honeybaby" and "Stay Frosty" :)
The only track I used to skip was "Tattoo", but recently I rediscovered it.

BTW, Listening to Wolfie's bass is a pure pleasure.

Angel
09-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Since February ADKOT is the only VH album I've been listening to. In fact, it's the only album at all. Really. I just can't listen to any other music. I play 2-3 tracks of something else (even from the 6-pack) and I go back to ADKOT.

"As Is" has been my favourite song since I heard it for the first time. I can listen to it 4-5 times in a row, especially the "lalala" part, which is an essence of rock and roll to me.
I love the enegry in "Bullethead". Right now it's number two on my list, but it changes all the time. Before I was crazy about "You And Your Blues", "China Town", "Honeybaby" and "Stay Frosty" :)
The only track I used to skip was "Tattoo", but recently I rediscovered it.

BTW, Listening to Wolfie's bass is a pure pleasure.

Yup, been the only disc in my car. I'll turn the radio on for awhile, and then it's fuck this noise and hit play.

I find Bullethead, As Is, and Honeybaby are THE BEST three songs in the world when I'm pissed off at something and go for a drive to get it out of my system. :D

motherchicken
09-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Just wondering. If you were not a hard core Roth lovin Sammy Hagar hatin classic Van Halen fan how would you rate ADKOT compared to the rest of the CVH catalog? Are ya just so happy the band put out another album and followed it up with a tour that you automatically consider it a great album? I worshipped Zeppelin as a teenager. If they released a new album and it was on the level of In Through The Out Door I would be disapointed but I realize It might not be in them to make even one more album even close to as good as Led Zep II. Is ADKOT as good as Van Halen II or is it like 1984? I'm on the fence. It's going in the right direction for me but It's not on the top of my VH cds either.

SunisinuS
09-29-2012, 02:20 AM
I loved in through the out door....fucking classic cuts....Fool in the Rain....Carus.....I guess motherchicken you prefer the "I wanna hold your hand" era of Zep....I am sorry that you ignore the Black Album of Zep. As plant said "Paul and I recorded it in the Dark...alone".

Nothing at all wrong with that album. Still sloppy Page playing with moments of brilliance...and Bonham spot on.

Least learn something about a bands catalogue....not everything is political.

motherchicken
09-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I loved in through the out door....fucking classic cuts....Fool in the Rain....Carus.....I guess motherchicken you prefer the "I wanna hold your hand" era of Zep....I am sorry that you ignore the Black Album of Zep. As plant said "Paul and I recorded it in the Dark...alone".

Nothing at all wrong with that album. Still sloppy Page playing with moments of brilliance...and Bonham spot on.

Not sure what to make of that last line. I 'm very knowledgable about Zep at least up to the time Bonzo died. My older brothers were rockers. I remember listening to the first album on a mono phonograph because that's all we had at the time. I never saw them live but I had all their albums. When I got my license it was 8 tracks, then cassettes, then cds. I've got Song Remains The Same on VHS and DVD. I've got How The West Was Won on cd and dvd. In Through The Out Door wasn't their Black Album. That would be LZ4 or 4Sticks or whatever you call the one with Stairway To Heaven on it. I've even heard it called ZOSO. After Presence and Physical Graffiti, In Through The Out Door was a major step backwards. Too much keyboard, not enough guitar. It wasn't the worst album ever made but it was a step in the wrong direction.

Yount
09-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Oh yeah baby, motherchicken damn man, have another listen. This album is untouchable, no other band can do this, admit it with fresh ears. Bonham on Fool In The Rain (and Plant) as well as the whole album - sends shivers up and down my spine. Oh and JPJ! I never got all that ridiculous "dinosaur" tag in the press - really, what were they supposed to do? - when you hear the new A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH album you appreciate In Through The Out Door a little more. Plants lyrics alone make this album a must listen.

ashstralia
09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Fool in the rain is classic... It was my friends with benefits bumping uglies song for years. :)

Yount
09-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Didn't Plant and/or Page suffer from the death of their children prior to this album? the mammoth Led Zep was falling apart.... and then Bonham went... such a sad way for a band to end. Gotta be very thankful VH came to fill the void because I don't think too many bands can touch Zeppelin in terms of scope of human emotion and depth of understanding, I've always loved the story they have told (even though I'll tolerate the masturbatory Whole Lotte Love stuff) in particular this last album touches on themes that are so close to the human experience in all of us

sorry to ramble on

Yount
09-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Touches on themes? That's maybe an understatement!

Yount
09-29-2012, 09:34 AM
:focus:
Listened to ADKOT 4 times this week.

Can go the distance every time, no skips. Good endorsement.

ashstralia
09-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah I get it yount man... Swannnnniesss!!! Storm tomorrow,

I'm a feather in the wind.

Yount
09-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah bloods!!!!

vandeleur
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Fool in the rain is class love it tho bumping uglies to it , funny rhythm . I need something a bit like my timing speeding up near the end and shorter :biggrin:

78/84 guy
09-29-2012, 11:54 AM
In Through The Outdoor is a great album. Fool In The Rain & In THe Evening are classic ! Hot Dog is Plants best Elvis. And Pagey's solo on it is fucking classic ! It's the only guitar solo that makes me laugh ! Page said in interviews that he talked to Bonham about how he wanted the next album to be heavier. But we all know what happened. What a shame. As far as ADKOT. I still go out of my way to listen too it a few times a week. Love it from start to finish. I think it will be hard for them to top it. But I hope they try !!

Zing!
09-30-2012, 09:08 AM
ADKOT is part of the 7-pack in my book. Like it just as much (or even better) than some of the first 6. Pretty amazing when you think about it. At this point I was just hoping for a VH base hit, and they knocked it out of the park.

vandeleur
09-30-2012, 09:23 AM
ADKOT is part of the 7-pack in my book. Like it just as much (or even better) than some of the first 6. Pretty amazing when you think about it. At this point I was just hoping for a VH base hit, and they knocked it out of the park.

Am with you all the way

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Didn't Plant and/or Page suffer from the death of their children prior to this album? the mammoth Led Zep was falling apart.... and then Bonham went... such a sad way for a band to end. Gotta be very thankful VH came to fill the void because I don't think too many bands can touch Zeppelin in terms of scope of human emotion and depth of understanding, I've always loved the story they have told (even though I'll tolerate the masturbatory Whole Lotte Love stuff) in particular this last album touches on themes that are so close to the human experience in all of us

sorry to ramble on
No big catastrophe in the members lives while recording that album but there was plenty before that. Plant lost a son and got fucked up in a car crash just a few years before. It was or seemed like it was a long time between albums though. Zep used to put one out every couple of years but I think three passed between Presence and In Though The Out Door. I guess I enjoyed the lets party stuff more than the I have feelings too stuff. I think it's more of a that's not what I'm used to from them thing. Just like 1984. I want the Running With The Devil Van Halen not the Jump Van Halen.

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 08:38 PM
That's where we differ. I like the first four (not so much number three) then bits of the rest. I can say the same about most of my favorite bands. Aerosmith made three goods one then went downhill. Ted made a couple. GNR had a couple. Maybe I just don't like change.

ThrillsNSpills
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand, brilliance all around even though they're very different styles.
I think Bonham is the most musical drummer in hard rock history. (not that I've heard every drummer)

ADKOT is melodic power and I wish it would have been a double album.
I want the 10 albums in the can box set.

ThrillsNSpills
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
That's where we differ. I like the first four (not so much number three) then bits of the rest. I can say the same about most of my favorite bands. Aerosmith made three goods one then went downhill. Ted made a couple. GNR had a couple. Maybe I just don't like change.

You're saying Aerosmith went downhill with Rocks?

DLR Bridge
10-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand...

The former is my all time favorite song where by I almost can't understand a single word being sung. I know, bizarre category. But it's true!

Zing!
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
The former is my all time favorite song where by I almost can't understand a single word being sung. I know, bizarre category. But it's true!

Ha ha - no shit. I only get about every 7th word in that song, but I still love it.

Yount
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I guess I enjoyed the lets party stuff more than the I have feelings too stuff. I think it's more of a that's not what I'm used to from them thing. Just like 1984. I want the Running With The Devil Van Halen not the Jump Van Halen.

Hmmm I see, you can't just go putting on In Through The Out Door at teen beer pong parties! Better keep it safe with 4-sticks - or worse - a greatest hits blechhh.

Still... so sick of hearing Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Rock N Roll, Whole lotta love.
(Either we the public are lazy and just wanna keep hearing the same stuff we've heard before - or there's some cruel sadistic mothers on song selection in Radioland.... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)

motherchicken
10-01-2012, 11:51 PM
You're saying Aerosmith went downhill with Rocks?
Actually I should have said two then out for Aerosmith. I don't care much for Toys In The Attic either. That's when Steven decided screaming out the lyrics was an improvement over singing. Rocks just continued the downhill slide.

motherchicken
10-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Hmmm I see, you can't just go putting on In Through The Out Door at teen beer pong parties! Better keep it safe with 4-sticks - or worse - a greatest hits blechhh.

Still... so sick of hearing Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Rock N Roll, Whole lotta love.
(Either we the public are lazy and just wanna keep hearing the same stuff we've heard before - or there's some cruel sadistic mothers on song selection in Radioland.... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)
I wouldn't be attending a teen beer pong party in the first place. I'm in my 50's for god sake. About the only time I listen to music at all is in the car. I haven't sat around getting stoned and listening to albums since I was a teenager. I too have gotten tired of hearing the same old same old from Zep, Aerosmith, VH and the other classic rock acts on the radio. I listen to Jack sometimes just to get a variety of music. I didn't even know Scorpians made a recording of Tainted Love before I heard it on Jack. But you gotta put up with disco shit from bands like Kiss sometimes too.
BTW I don't consider LZIV or whatever that album's called a party album. II maybe but not IV.

motherchicken
10-02-2012, 12:14 AM
I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand, brilliance all around even though they're very different styles.
I think Bonham is the most musical drummer in hard rock history. (not that I've heard every drummer)

I want the 10 albums in the can box set.
It might be an age hing but there's no comparison between those songs. Achilles is a hard rock classic that was ripped off almost not for note by Heart for Barracuda. Carouselambra is a keyboard heavy classis example of corporate rock. Hot Dog is the only good thing on that album and it's more of a novelty song than a rocker. But I do dig Plant's Elvis imitation.

Yount
10-03-2012, 05:27 AM
The FACT that you won't hear any ADKOT on any station unless you get lucky at 3am flippin' 'round like DLR under the sheets...

...here today gone later today.

Yount
10-03-2012, 08:31 PM
.... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)

That's a God Damn Lie!

ashstralia
10-04-2012, 06:54 AM
That's a God Damn Lie!

Yeah, give yourself an uppercut sunshine! You crank hot for teacher like it's the first time ya heard it...

Adkot 8 months later, a mammoth effort. Just magnificent. A couple of flat spots, but an amazing thing to hold in your hands after 28 years.. A real Van Halen album. The playing and singing is great, the songs are (mostly) great, it's loud.

7 pack. It's worthy.

Yount
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
You crank hot for teacher like it's the first time ya heard it...

They rarely play it. Fuck 'em. Fuck Why Can't This Be Love.

ELVIS
10-04-2012, 08:48 PM

It is...

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/01/Vhvinyl.jpg

big fatty
10-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Yup, me too, and add Chinatown and Kill The Guy, just drive as fast as the music plays , and you'll be there in no time. L.O. L.

Your blonde hair is beautiful b.t.w. It looks real pretty. :yo:

I can guess where you live if it ends in 'gina.

REGINA ?

You'd be surprised that one of my favorite things in the whole wide world also ends in 'gina. Hee, hee, hee.:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Angel
10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Yup, me too, and add Chinatown and Kill The Guy, just drive as fast as the music plays , and you'll be there in no time. L.O. L.

Your blonde hair is beautiful b.t.w. It looks real pretty. :yo:

I can guess where you live if it ends in 'gina.

REGINA ?

You'd be surprised that one of my favorite things in the whole wide world also ends in 'gina. Hee, hee, hee.:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Regina...the city that ends in fun.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Angel
10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Whoops...rhymes with fun :D

Yount
11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
ATM...

Orgasmic:
Blood and fire
As Is
HoneyBabySweetieDoll
You and your blues
Stay frosty

Upper echelon:
She's the woman
China town
Bullethead
Outta space

Very tasty:
Tattoo
The trouble with never
Big river
Beats workin'

78/84 guy
11-28-2012, 06:31 PM
It is...

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/01/Vhvinyl.jpg

True dat ! I bought 2 of em ! And don't even have a turn table.

vandeleur
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
ATM...

Orgasmic:
Blood and fire
As Is
HoneyBabySweetieDoll
You and your blues
Stay frosty

Upper echelon:
She's the woman
China town
Bullethead
Outta space

Very tasty:
Tattoo
The trouble with never
Big river
Beats workin'

Swap she's the woman and you and your blues and that dog will hunt :D

Kristy
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Well, we've had 6 months to marinate in it. Anything change for anybody over that period- songs (or the album in general) getting stronger or weaker with repeated listenings? General thoughts?

Not really. Found it to be as boring as the first listen. Eddie and Dave covered no new ground and opted to reformulate their 1977 groove back to their well, 1977 groove. In fact, ADKOT is so god damn boring I'm surprised Eddie and Dave aren't playing in a Hall & Oates tribute band. At least there they'd be more enjoyable to listen to.

ADKOT = D-

PETE'S BROTHER
12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
wasn't there a "things kristy likes" thread years ago?

Kristy
12-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry, but that album is weak.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
i like it

Kristy
12-20-2012, 01:36 PM
You also like mediocre porn and stale Jello. But hey, enjoy ADKOT. Does nothing for me.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-20-2012, 01:36 PM
jello gets stale?

PETE'S BROTHER
12-20-2012, 01:37 PM
big plans for christmas?

Kristy
12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Not really. Well, not apart from the usual: stealing toys from the children's orphan fund.

You?

PETE'S BROTHER
12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
surprise the wife with an actual gift this year, and have lunch with the grandparents

Kristy
12-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Sounds lovely.

ELVIS
12-20-2012, 05:08 PM
You should make some poison Krusty cookies...

78/84 guy
12-21-2012, 08:55 PM
You also like mediocre porn and stale Jello. But hey, enjoy ADKOT. Does nothing for me.

The only thing that does something for you is bitching ! Lol

Terry
12-21-2012, 11:02 PM

In some ways, I'm still amazed that the album is as good as it is. With Ed's more recent health issues (which were unknown to me until recent interviews) and the discord that has historically been around the band, I'm still a bit surprised they were able to make an album at all, much less one that kicks ass. Repeated listenings have just reinforced what I felt 6 months ago- the guys were confident and motivated and the result speaks for itself.

For me, my biggest "gainer" over the months has been As Is. I liked it originally, but my appreciation for it has really grown over the months- it's one of the top tracks for me. On a sort of flip side, I was hoping I'd warm up more to Big River, Stay Frosty and TTWN. Didn't happen. I like those tunes, but they weren't able to climb out of my second tier of tunes in to the first tier.

Anybody else? Thoughts?

I'd have to agree that in many ways ADKOT surpassed my expectations.

I mean, considering what had been put out under the Van Halen name since 1996 along with Roth's last couple of solo efforts, I wasn't really sure there was much juice left in the tank for this band. Having seen a fairly off-night far as Ed went on the 2007/2008 tour, I thought the dude was just washed up and couldn't get his shit together enough to play his old stuff properly, so what chance did the band have at coming up with anything new that was gonna even be listenable or transcend embarrassing...much less actually be any good?

I will also say that some of the tunes which didn't do much for me still don't: those being The Trouble With Never and You And Your Blues.

I like Tattoo. Liked it from the first listen.

One track which I'll readily admit just didn't do much for me but ended up growing on me like a motherfucker was As Is.

It's a good album. Half of it is reworked old demos, but so what?

Honestly, when I think of what 11 years of Sammy Hagar, three of Gary Cherone, a half decade of silence and Mike Anthony leaving and THEN link all of that with Roth's less-than-stellar solo output and outings since 1999, the fact that Roth and The Van Halens came up with the goods just really goes to show that these guys need each other because they just bring out the best in each other.

LoungeMachine
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
wasn't there a "things kristy likes" thread years ago?

Married bankers with cash?

Opiates?

Working strip malls?

Her roommate's Doberman?

:gulp:

It was closed for lack of interest, much like her legs.

Angel
12-22-2012, 12:36 AM
They rarely play it. Fuck 'em. Fuck Why Can't This Be Love.

Rarely play em...are you serious? I hear Hot for Teacher about 3 times a week. Same with RWTD.

Kristy
12-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Married bankers with cash?

Opiates?

Working strip malls?

Her roommate's Doberman?

:gulp:

It was closed for lack of interest, much like her legs.

Eh, still doesn't make the album suck any less.

Dan
12-22-2012, 03:00 AM
On Behalf Of The Mighty Sheep Pen Crew Members,Kristy,Please Wash The Sand Out Of Your Pussy.:hitch:

ELVIS
12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Hey, she could sell sandboxes...

Nah, they'd be poison sandboxes...

Yeah, poison sandboxes to kill the children...

Hey Krusty !!

envy_me
12-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Eh, still doesn't make the album suck any less.

Which VH and DLR songs do you like?

bru87tr
12-29-2012, 09:08 AM

How this song was not a huge hit on radio has baffled me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

ELVIS
12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
How this song was not a huge hit on radio has baffled me.

Maybe because it wasn't released as a single ??

bru87tr
12-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Maybe because it wasn't released as a single ??

Exactly!

I mentioned a few times in other threads why it was not. Puzzling!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

ELVIS
12-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I would have came right out the door with As Is, and then Blood and Fire and You and Your Blues, and maybe even Stay Frosty...

Tattoo shouldn't even be on the album...

vandeleur
12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Definatley As is , it's a fucking killer . But I still think the first single should have been blood and fire , even if was just for the told ya i was coming back parts .

Dave's Bitch
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I would have came right out the door with As Is, and then Blood and Fire and You and Your Blues, and maybe even Stay Frosty...

Tattoo shouldn't even be on the album...

I agree with you for the most part but quit hating on Tattoo.I know in comparison it sounds very tame but I think it is catchy as hell.I can't help but smile when I hear it

chuckjitsu
12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
If it'd been me, I would've gone with China Town as the lead single. Why? It's compact, hard hitting, has signature Ed playing and was a new tune. The new tune angle isn't a huge deal, but would've preempted any potential "it's only a reworked demo" nonsense. As Is would've been a very close second and i easily could've been talked in to it as a lead single. If I wanted to go the "quieter" route for a lead single, I would've gone with Blood and Fire, with You and Your Blues coming in second.

78/84 guy
01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
IS this album even close to gold yet ? I'm to lazy to look. Still listen to my version of it (changed the running order) at least once a week.

chuckjitsu
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Went to the RIAA website and they don't show it as Gold, although i could've sworn i read somewhere that it was. So, i suppose as far as the RIAA is concerned, it's not.

VAiN
01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
IS this album even close to gold yet ? I'm to lazy to look. Still listen to my version of it (changed the running order) at least once a week.

Just curious - what's your track order?

ELVIS
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Here's mine...

She's The Woman

You and Your Blues

Chinatown

As Is

Outta Space

Stay Frosty

Big River

That's usually how I listen to it...

PETE'S BROTHER
01-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Here's mine...

She's The Woman

You and Your Blues

Chinatown

As Is

Outta Space

Stay Frosty

Big River

finally got some old korn compilation cd out of my motorcycle, been stuck in there for years. got a fresh copy of adkot and put it in the player, it won't play... :(

VAiN
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Here's mine...

She's The Woman

You and Your Blues

Chinatown

As Is

Outta Space

Stay Frosty

Big River

Interesting.. I get skipping Tattoo, but Bullethead, Blood & Fire and HBSD? That's the meat of the VH sammich right there..

VAiN
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
finally got some old korn compilation cd out of my motorcycle, been stuck in there for years. got a fresh copy of adkot and put it in the player, it won't play... :(

Is it a CDR or a 'real' CD? Sucks man... Might have to get a new bike.

So this is love
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
In the car these days when I'm alone my running order is Stay Frosty, Big River and Beats workin'. Big River is my favorite now.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Is it a CDR or a 'real' CD? Sucks man... Might have to get a new bike.

a real one, the extra i had to buy to get the tshirt that won't fit me...

VAiN
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
a real one, the extra i had to buy to get the tshirt that won't fit me...

I did that too! Had to get the shirt! I think I've bought this CD 4 times now..

78/84 guy
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Just curious - what's your track order?

1 .China Town- Should have been the first single hands down ! What a mistake.
2. Trouble With never- Kicks in good here. Love the solo.
3. Outta Space- Works good here. Might be one of the best songs on the album.
4. Stay Frosty
5. Big River- Kind of gets lost at the end of the album
6. As Is
7. Honeybaby- Didn't want to break it away from As Is. They work great together
8. You & Your Blues -Love it
9. Bullethead
10 .Shes The Woman
11. Blood & Fire
12. Tattoo
13. Beats Workin' -Not a favorite but love the jam at the end. The album pace is just not that great for me. Love it this way.

VAiN
01-26-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm making that playlist, sticking it on the pod and giving it a few listens in the car..

Terry
01-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I kind of like the way the tracks were sequenced on the album.

I'd agree Tattoo isn't the strongest track on the album, but as a single it was the obvious choice (unless one thinks Dance The Night Away, Pretty Woman and Jump are the best tunes from their respective albums): it was gonna be the most accessible in terms of casual fans.

She's The Woman ups the ante. You And Your Blues is a decent holding pattern.

The album really kicks in hard with Chinatown.

I'd agree that Big River DOES get kinda lost being slotted in towards the end...it's a great ficking track.

I like Beats Workin'/Turn Out The Lights, but the intro seems a bit ripped off from Fools...and also a bit overlong, particularly coming not too far after the extended outro of Stay Frosty two tracks back.

I'd also agree with those who are a little less than thrilled with the overall sound of the album. When I play it loud in the car, it all bleeds together into a sonic mush. It sounds okay at lower levels, but when cranked it loses clarity. Like, I can crank Fair Warning at 11 and not experience a muddyness of sound, you know?

78/84 guy
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I like Tattoo still. It gets slammed for no reason. Other than the fact they made it a single. I just didn't want Blood & Fire at the end. As Is & Honeybaby are in a great slot so I didn't want to move them to much. To me with the early albums they always seemed to kick off with the best tunes. Thinking Woman & Children and Fair Warning. So thats why I kicked it off with China Town.

Terry
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I like Tattoo still. It gets slammed for no reason. Other than the fact they made it a single. I just didn't want Blood & Fire at the end. As Is & Honeybaby are in a great slot so I didn't want to move them to much. To me with the early albums they always seemed to kick off with the best tunes. Thinking Woman & Children and Fair Warning. So thats why I kicked it off with China Town.

Far as WACF, I was never a HUGE fan of ATCWR...definitely not in comparison to the rest of the album.

I dunno, for me most of the Van Halen tracks I liked the best weren't at the beginning of the albums. Usually, they were in the middle (am thinking along the lines of I'm The One, Atomic Punk, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Outta Love Again, Romeo Delight, Sinner's Swing, Hear About It Later, etc.)

78/84 guy
01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
True. I hear ya. I was just thinking those 2 albums. I listened to them more than anything when I was younger. I had a tape (still have it ! ) that had both albums in one. For me I almost can't listen too one without the other. Cradle was the first new VH song I remember hearing on the radio when I really started getting into them. So i stil love it. Might be the one song Ed used a keyboard on that worked for the bands real sound. I like I'll Wait but it ain't VH too me. Mean Street is their best song to me.

Kristy
01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
A Different Kind Of Jewth was like your neighbor's annoying dog: yap yap yap. Big letdown. Big. Slop-poppy riffs, compiled with Roth's' horrendous and shot voice made for one disappointing listen. No need to wait and see if they get better. They won't. The time to forgo Halen is now before they embarrass their fans any further. Blue Oyster Cult stands a better chance of resurrecting their career.

DLR Bridge
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Ye of little, well, actually no faith. I dug it. Give it an A, A-. If they follow it up, great. If not, we're good.

Terry
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
True. I hear ya. I was just thinking those 2 albums. I listened to them more than anything when I was younger. I had a tape (still have it ! ) that had both albums in one. For me I almost can't listen too one without the other. Cradle was the first new VH song I remember hearing on the radio when I really started getting into them. So i stil love it. Might be the one song Ed used a keyboard on that worked for the bands real sound. I like I'll Wait but it ain't VH too me. Mean Street is their best song to me.

I'll tell ya, straight-up, that I don't care for I'll Wait. It's really only of interest in showing a different aspect to Roth's lyrical approach, but the lyrics and melody are just too mild and meek for my tastes.

Cradle isn't a bad track, but for me definitely isn't representative of the best WACF has to offer.

Used to have a 2 albums on 1 cassette of WACF and Fair Warning years ago: wore that fucker down, big-time.

Terry
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I like Tattoo. Grooves right along...nothing too distinctive going on instrumentally, but it's a good showcase for Roth.

Kristy
01-29-2013, 09:28 AM
I gave it a relisten last night and yeah, I still feel the same about it.

VAiN
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
I gave it a relisten last night and yeah, I still feel the same about it.

And not a single fuck was given...

Kristy
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Exactly. Not a single fuck was given in the recording of that dismal pile of shit.

Headly1984
01-31-2013, 01:14 AM
I'll tell ya, straight-up, that I don't care for I'll Wait. It's really only of interest in showing a different aspect to Roth's lyrical approach, but the lyrics and melody are just too mild and meek for my tastes.

Cradle isn't a bad track, but for me definitely isn't representative of the best WACF has to offer.

Used to have a 2 albums on 1 cassette of WACF and Fair Warning years ago: wore that fucker down, big-time.

I'll wait - has great lyrics(seeing a top model & wanting her but knowing in a few months / yrs & she will be more ez to approach) & while not Simple Rhyme, it is a solid tune imho

..Cradle ?? omg.. Have you seen Jr's grades?.. that is in our rock nomenclature -classic !

Headly1984
01-31-2013, 01:16 AM
yap yap yap. .

are we back in the Stones thread ?

Rikk
01-31-2013, 02:45 AM
My order (and I've realized my opinions really vary from others'):

1) BEATS WORKIN' - I've always been in love with the PUT OUT THE LIGHTS riff. Dave's new chorus vocal shows real melodic talent. Maybe not Ed's best guitar-work...but when this kicks in, I realize I'm driving 100 mph.
2) OUTTA SPACE - Again, always loved LET'S GET ROCKIN'. This is insane...great new lyrics.
3) BULLETHEAD - This just kicks in and it's over before you know it. Such a crazy, catch chorus. Didn't like it at all first hearing the album...but now a li'l ain't enough of this song.
4) SHE'S THE WOMAN - I used to write in old posts that if the band ever made a new album with Dave, they should resurrect this sucker. Should have been on the first album. Great version...great to see it officially out there.
5) BIG RIVER - Always loved BIG TROUBLE...the solo on this is superior. The new lyrics aren't necessarily an improvement.
6) STAY FROSTY - My wife's favorite on the disc. It's just amazing. I never thought the band was capable of writing material like this still. This song, more than any other, demonstrate how many other inventive moments we lost to all the Hagar/Cherone/drunken-stupor years.
7) YOU AND YOUR BLUES - Few songs on the album grew on me like this one. Lyrical references are superb...great descending riff on the pre-chorus. Great backing vocals.
8) CHINA TOWN - The most "1984-sounding" song on the album...with obvious reason (old Ripley demo). Dave is killer on this...not my favorite chorus, but man...the furious playing.
9) TATTOO - Yeah, now I like it. A lot. One of Ed's best solos on the album.
10) BLOOD AND FIRE - The single. Catchiest, most radio-friendly song. Then again, it wasn't a single. Fuckin' should have been. How did Dave write that amazing melody on the verses?
11) HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL - Not one of my favorites. It's okay. Great riff. The crazy rhythms help me enjoy this one...but it's one of the lesser moments.
12) AS IS - Yes, I know. Everyone fucking loves this one. Not me. To this day, I don't get it. Except for the fun drum intro (PANAMA live, anyone). Some good riffage...not crazy about the lyrics.
13) THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER - I never liked this song. Newer albums trying to sound like Hendrix don't work for me. Wah pedals really need a Kim Thayil atonal riff to work for me now...Hendrix and Clapton already owned the wah for me...I prefer listening to them play it. This song just doesn't work for me. It's catchy...but in a commercial-jingle kind of way. And I don't like the lyrics much. Only the amazing middle-part with the "Dance the Night Away" lyric works for me.

Okay...so, a different list to be sure. But it's honest. Still, I pretty much never listen to the album without listening to it beginning to end (my OCD side)...and I listen to the album a fucking helluva lot...especially the last two months or so.

ashstralia
01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
ya lost me at 11

ELVIS
01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Too many songs...

chuckjitsu
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
My order (and I've realized my opinions really vary from others'):

1) BEATS WORKIN' - I've always been in love with the PUT OUT THE LIGHTS riff. Dave's new chorus vocal shows real melodic talent. Maybe not Ed's best guitar-work...but when this kicks in, I realize I'm driving 100 mph.
2) OUTTA SPACE - Again, always loved LET'S GET ROCKIN'. This is insane...great new lyrics.
3) BULLETHEAD - This just kicks in and it's over before you know it. Such a crazy, catch chorus. Didn't like it at all first hearing the album...but now a li'l ain't enough of this song.
4) SHE'S THE WOMAN - I used to write in old posts that if the band ever made a new album with Dave, they should resurrect this sucker. Should have been on the first album. Great version...great to see it officially out there.
5) BIG RIVER - Always loved BIG TROUBLE...the solo on this is superior. The new lyrics aren't necessarily an improvement.
6) STAY FROSTY - My wife's favorite on the disc. It's just amazing. I never thought the band was capable of writing material like this still. This song, more than any other, demonstrate how many other inventive moments we lost to all the Hagar/Cherone/drunken-stupor years.
7) YOU AND YOUR BLUES - Few songs on the album grew on me like this one. Lyrical references are superb...great descending riff on the pre-chorus. Great backing vocals.
8) CHINA TOWN - The most "1984-sounding" song on the album...with obvious reason (old Ripley demo). Dave is killer on this...not my favorite chorus, but man...the furious playing.
9) TATTOO - Yeah, now I like it. A lot. One of Ed's best solos on the album.
10) BLOOD AND FIRE - The single. Catchiest, most radio-friendly song. Then again, it wasn't a single. Fuckin' should have been. How did Dave write that amazing melody on the verses?
11) HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL - Not one of my favorites. It's okay. Great riff. The crazy rhythms help me enjoy this one...but it's one of the lesser moments.
12) AS IS - Yes, I know. Everyone fucking loves this one. Not me. To this day, I don't get it. Except for the fun drum intro (PANAMA live, anyone). Some good riffage...not crazy about the lyrics.
13) THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER - I never liked this song. Newer albums trying to sound like Hendrix don't work for me. Wah pedals really need a Kim Thayil atonal riff to work for me now...Hendrix and Clapton already owned the wah for me...I prefer listening to them play it. This song just doesn't work for me. It's catchy...but in a commercial-jingle kind of way. And I don't like the lyrics much. Only the amazing middle-part with the "Dance the Night Away" lyric works for me.

Okay...so, a different list to be sure. But it's honest. Still, I pretty much never listen to the album without listening to it beginning to end (my OCD side)...and I listen to the album a fucking helluva lot...especially the last two months or so.

I like your list. I'm with you on honeybaby. That one is a 2nd tier tune for me as well. I feel the same the way about Stay Frosty as you do As Is ((although I do love the Big Rock Finish in Stay Frosty), so I'd probably swap their positions. Also with you on The Trouble With Never. Outta Space just keeps getting better with each listen. Like you, I mostly listen to the cd in the given order, but when I'm feeling wild and crazy, I'll listen to it in Shuffle mode and that tends to produce some interesting results.

DLR Bridge
01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Any order will do for 1 through 12, then finish with As Is. The spooky, drive off into the darkness ending belongs at the end of the CD.

chefcraig
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Any order will do for 1 through 12, then finish with As Is. The spooky, drive off into the darkness ending belongs at the end of the CD.

+1 :rockit2:

jhale667
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
+1 :rockit2:

Actually, +2 :rockit2:

:guitar:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
have we discussed because maybe this is only the second album we/I * were able to get "hot off the presses" that it is so fuckin' fun!!

* with the exception of zah and a few others...

Halen High
05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Favourite track today...As Is - an absolute belter of a song. As Is and HBSD are how I imagined a Dave-fronted Van Halen album would sound today, particularly after Dave's "the music is harder than before" comment, following those sessions back in the early 2000s.

But I love the fact that they brought to life some of those discarded gems from the 70s...when I first heard Big Trouble I thought it was arguably their best ever moment. I was blown away when I discovered they'd finally released it, reworked perfectly with more mature lyrics to suit where they are now.

I'm still listening to at least a couple of tracks everyday and play the album from start to finish once a week. When all the rumours of a new Van Halen album with Dave were confirmed, my expectations went through the roof, yet they managed to surpass them. I genuinely think it's a masterpiece.

Halen High
05-10-2013, 11:24 PM

Great point and love that imagery; "spooky, drive off into the darkness." Yeah it is spooky and would have been absolutely perfect to close out the album.

conmee
05-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

I listened to the entire album on my flight from Houston a couple weeks ago. What's great was Wolfgang's idea to dig up some old gems... Because many were forged in the heyday, it just comfortably makes its home next to the first six. Sometimes I listen to the albums in order, ADKOT following 1984 of course, and with the exception of maybe HSBD, the songs all have elements that call back to the halcyon days of youth, while at the same time sounding new. Almost compilation-like in that I hear elements of each of the first six in the different songs on ADKOT. It was a good strategy out of the gate for a first new album in decades.

BUT... I'm greedy, it's time for the follow-up!!!! And with how slow the damn engineering/mixing/mastering blah blah went LAST TIME, I hope they have 8-12 tunes in the can already, not counting ones they may have recorded for ADKOT. If so, I'm thinking we get a nice new album 30 years after 1984 right around Jan/Feb 2014... If ADKOT is the final release, I can live with that, the circle from childhood is complete, and I've seen the boys play new music and Full Bug, Women In Love, and GGB for the first time in decades. I can deal... but one more album would be fantastic.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

Halen High
05-10-2013, 11:30 PM
conmee, when yoy say, "the songs all have elements that call back to the halcyon days of youth, while at the same time sounding new" - that's exactly how I feel when listening to ADKOT.

I think that was Dave's intention and perhaps even Wolf's. They certainly pulled it off.

I hope this talk of recording new music results in an album, rather than just a track or two for download or another bloody 'Best Of'!!!

Now does anyone know if Cafe Wha? was pro audio recorded? I would settle for a "Van Halen Live at Cafe Wha?" CD, with two new bonus tracks.

78/84 guy
05-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Café Wha was too short for me. But would still love to have it. I don't understand why a early 07 or 08 show hasn't been put out when Dave was singing good and Ed was on. Some of those shows were really good. I don't think we will ever get one from last year the way Dave was off.

conmee
05-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

I think they could cobble together songs from different shows to make a good DVD from last year. I don't think any one complete show would work, since Dave was hit or miss between air conditioning vent rage and not singing songs in original range, but at least for Oakland, which I felt in general was a C+/B- in the vocal department, if memory serves (I'll review my notes) I thought he pulled off Panama, ATBL, ICM, and Women In Love (this song he did very well mainly because it was in a manageable range and it was a song in which he didn't run around and dance and kick, just leaned up next to drum riser or sauntered over to Edward).

Maybe pick the best performances possible from the tour and you could compile a nice DVD. Not as fluid as a single show, but could give shout outs to the fans in various cities, and show different crowds/venues/reactions.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

hambon4lif
05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
2 major points....
The Trouble With Never: "Every Einstein's assigned a Tweetledee and Tweedledumber"
.....that's an amazing zinger of a line! "He who knows how will always work for he who knows why"
Once again, Roth wrote something that went the beyond the brothers depth of perception....

Blood And Fire: Although the chorus might be borderline corny, the "Told ya' I was coming back! ...say ya' missed me....say it like ya' MEAN IT!!!" still gives you the chills,

This is a phenomenal album!!!

hambon4lif
05-12-2013, 05:00 PM
And if you fucked the woman you were with last night to the rhtym of 'Honeybabysweetiedoll"....not to worry, they will call you back the next day.....they always do.

Stay Frosty,motherfuckers!!!!!

Halen High
05-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Café Wha was too short for me. But would still love to have it. I don't understand why a early 07 or 08 show hasn't been put out when Dave was singing good and Ed was on. Some of those shows were really good. I don't think we will ever get one from last year the way Dave was off.

Yeah Cafe Wha was a short performance, but Dave sounded very good and the setting was so cool with a very interesting story behind it. I think it would make a great DVD release IF it came with something else.

I agree with you on the 2007/08 tour...particularly '08 when Eddie re-appeared looking and sounding great. I don't know why they didn't release anything. Maybe they thought Wolfie was carrying too much puppy fat and it didn't come across well with Dave, Eddie and Alex looking all ripped and scarey-skinny! He looks good now but Dave's vocals are hit and miss. Although Dave could help himself by simply keeping to his range.

DLR Bridge
05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
The Trouble With Never: "Every Einstein's assigned a Tweetledee and Tweedledumber"
.....that's an amazing zinger of a line! "He who knows how will always work for he who knows why"
Once again, Roth wrote something that went the beyond the brothers depth of perception.

This is a phenomenal album!!!

He actually says tweetle dumb and tweetle dumber. I don't think that line is as subtle as the correlation that can be made between Dave and the bros. in CGTSNM. If he truly is poking at them within the lyrics again, that is one ballsy move, when considering how far they all have come to burry their proverbial hatchets.

And yes, this is a phenomenal album. Keep'em comin' boys.

sonrisa salvaje
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM
The only difference between this album and the six pack is that i don't have memories of partying to it with beers and backseat escapades. This record is right up there.

conmee
05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
The only difference between this album and the six pack is that i don't have memories of partying to it with beers and backseat escapades. This record is right up there.

Exactly... most fans' memories now are divorce, mortgages they can't afford, drinking light beer because of their burgeoning midsections, resentful children, rising college and healthcare costs, impotence, loosepussytence, saggytitstence, baldingtence, incontinence, etc... or in my case, whores and nose candy. "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a coke and hoes kid!"

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

sonrisa salvaje
05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Exactly... most fans' memories now are divorce, mortgages they can't afford, drinking light beer because of their burgeoning midsections, resentful children, rising college and healthcare costs, impotence, loosepussytence, saggytitstence, baldingtence, incontinence, etc... or in my case, whores and nose candy. "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a coke and hoes kid!"

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

You just summed up the sales figures for the album as well. Most people just move on from music. I hate to say that but of all the friends that i had and still keep up with, only a couple of them still actively seek out music from the people they listened to in their teens and early twenties. The side effects of moving at the speed of life i suppose.

conmee
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
S.S.

I think that is true for the most part. Music played such an important part of childhood and college, but over time, you wonder why a lot of people just start listening to "adult contemporary" or "jazz" and other non-descript shite. I guess kids, calls from creditors, 24 hour news and business reporting become the "soundtrack" for adulthood which is a shame. Not for everyone, but for many. For those of us with a passion for music or just really strong memories of Van Halen, for instance, we continue to cherish and revel in the music. But for many of my colleagues and coworkers over the past 10-15 years, music just isn't a high priority for them, or they've been jaded and desensitized by their children's music selection. Van Halen represents a carefree, fun, energetic time, and for most in the throes of middle-age, I think those three adjectives generally don't apply with much, if any, frequency. So why get all amped up with a cool album, only to put the headphones down, look around, and exclaim, "Fuck! What the hell happened to my life?!?!"

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

PETE'S BROTHER
05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
:biggrin: and not cause of the music

conmee
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
P.B.

If you're referencing back to sales figures, there's two sides to that coin... "because of the music" in the sense that it really comes from a different era. Sure the sound's been updated somewhat, but by and large, ADKOT appeals "mostly" to existing fan base, and the DLR/VH fan base in particular. So that's a shrinking market for the most part. Net-new fans there are I'm sure, but not sufficient quantities to really GROW the fan base. One could argue that given the mostly large attendance at shows indicates there are sufficient fans, but they only want to hear the classics is also valid. I think a huge part of the sales performance for ADKOT was the poor timing on Interscope's part in releasing it so close to the Grammy's which gave Adele momentum with all her wins. No, people didn't buy Adele's album in lieu of ADKOT, but the marketing engine behind Adele drowned out messaging for all the other artists those few weeks post-Grammys. Either release the album well before the Grammys, include a segment or somehow showcase Van Halen, or wait a couple weeks post-Grammys so that ADKOT didn't have to go up against post-Grammy momentum. And of course, I think the single biggest reason, more so than the music, is the fact that Michael Anthony wasn't a part of it. I personally don't miss MA enough that I wouldn't buy the album or enjoy it, but I know that being able to market a legitimate REUNION©®™ would have given the band additional momentum, regardless if the music was identical.

Then there's the "because of the music" in reference to the songs being sub-par. I think they hold up well v. the catalog for most fans. DLR's voice holds up well for his age and the abuse he's put it through, and the band is super tight, despite working with mostly ancient material from EVH's vaults. Even with an all-new album of killer original, currently written music, I'm not sure how much more successful the album would have been considering it's just not a type of music currently high on most listeners' lists and MA's absence.

But given all those headwinds and challenges, I think it performed pretty well. And in the end, I still enjoy listening to recent music with 3 out of 4 of my childhood heroes...

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

PETE'S BROTHER
05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
P.B.

If you're referencing back to sales figures, there's two sides to that coin... "because of the music" in the sense that it really comes from a different era. Sure the sound's been updated somewhat, but by and large, ADKOT appeals "mostly" to existing fan base, and the DLR/VH fan base in particular. So that's a shrinking market for the most part. Net-new fans there are I'm sure, but not sufficient quantities to really GROW the fan base. One could argue that given the mostly large attendance at shows indicates there are sufficient fans, but they only want to hear the classics is also valid. I think a huge part of the sales performance for ADKOT was the poor timing on Interscope's part in releasing it so close to the Grammy's which gave Adele momentum with all her wins. No, people didn't buy Adele's album in lieu of ADKOT, but the marketing engine behind Adele drowned out messaging for all the other artists those few weeks post-Grammys. Either release the album well before the Grammys, include a segment or somehow showcase Van Halen, or wait a couple weeks post-Grammys so that ADKOT didn't have to go up against post-Grammy momentum. And of course, I think the single biggest reason, more so than the music, is the fact that Michael Anthony wasn't a part of it. I personally don't miss MA enough that I wouldn't buy the album or enjoy it, but I know that being able to market a legitimate REUNION©®™ would have given the band additional momentum, regardless if the music was identical.

Then there's the "because of the music" in reference to the songs being sub-par. I think they hold up well v. the catalog for most fans. DLR's voice holds up well for his age and the abuse he's put it through, and the band is super tight, despite working with mostly ancient material from EVH's vaults. Even with an all-new album of killer original, currently written music, I'm not sure how much more successful the album would have been considering it's just not a type of music currently high on most listeners' lists and MA's absence.

But given all those headwinds and challenges, I think it performed pretty well. And in the end, I still enjoy listening to recent music with 3 out of 4 of my childhood heroes...

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

long winded mutha....oh, you're done? ;)

i'm glad we share those three adjectives

conmee
05-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Back in the day, Pojo and I would write mini-novels... when 1,000 posts was a legitimate milestone... ah, the GOOD OL' DAYS©®™....

Mind The Gap!

Icon©®™

PETE'S BROTHER
05-14-2013, 05:31 PM
P.B.

If you're referencing back to sales figures, there's two sides to that coin... "because of the music"

nope, knew you were talkin' about folks stuck in lives they didn't really want.

just clarifyin' you weren't referrin" to how folks went thru these steps with vhIII ;)

only to put the headphones down, look around, and exclaim, "Fuck! What the hell happened to my life?!?!"

conmee
05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I think they put the headphones down with VHIII and exclaimed, "What the hell happened to this band!?!?"

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

78/84 guy
05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
You just summed up the sales figures for the album as well. Most people just move on from music. I hate to say that but of all the friends that i had and still keep up with, only a couple of them still actively seek out music from the people they listened to in their teens and early twenties. The side effects of moving at the speed of life i suppose.

A lot of people moved on from music my age. People I know that loved music ! My buddy was over to watch the Wild lose with me the other night (LOL) and asked me what the hell was hanging on my wall. I told him it was the new Van Halen album. I Framed it. And he say's I didn't even know they put an album out. But had heard Tattoo & She's The Woman on the radio a few times. This is a guy that had up to 4 to 10 pairs of tickets in his dresser drawer in the mid to late 80's for almost every rock concert that came through town ! He went down and bought them and we would just pay him back. I wasn't surprised in the least he didn't know. He still listens to stuff, but it's all the old stuff. He doesn't sit on the internet looking at older band websites to see if they are still releasing stuff, and the radio sure as hell doesn't play new song's by older bands ! Not for long anyways. I gave him my c.d. He went home and listened too it and texted me that he thought it was a great album. He is to busy raising his kid, paying bills, and doing bullshit house work to pay attention anymore. I told him to keep the cd !

bru87tr
05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
A lot of people moved on from music my age. People I know that loved music ! My buddy was over to watch the Wild lose with me the other night (LOL) and asked me what the hell was hanging on my wall. I told him it was the new Van Halen album. I Framed it. And he say's I didn't even know they put an album out. But had heard Tattoo & She's The Woman on the radio a few times. This is a guy that had up to 4 to 10 pairs of tickets in his dresser drawer in the mid to late 80's for almost every rock concert that came through town ! He went down and bought them and we would just pay him back. I wasn't surprised in the least he didn't know. He still listens to stuff, but it's all the old stuff. He doesn't sit on the internet looking at older band websites to see if they are still releasing stuff, and the radio sure as hell doesn't play new song's by older bands ! Not for long anyways. I gave him my c.d. He went home and listened too it and texted me that he thought it was a great album. He is to busy raising his kid, paying bills, and doing bullshit house work to pay attention anymore. I told him to keep the cd !

You are a true friend.