PDA

View Full Version : Horshack Actor Ron Palillo Died

Nickdfresh
08-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Ron Palillo, Horshack of 'Kotter' fame, dies at 63; reactions

By Christie D'Zurilla

1:16 PM PDT, August 14, 2012

That "Ooh! Ooh ooh!" That Horshack laugh. When Ron Palillo died Tuesday morning at his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., another little nugget of '70s pop culture died with him.

Palillo, best known for playing Arnold Horshak in "Welcome Back, Kotter," which ran from 1975 to 1979, died suddenly around 4:30 a.m. EDT, according to the Palm Beach Post, which said he had not been ill. The actor had been teaching acting for film and camera for three years at a charter school for the arts.

"These were 13-, 14-year-old kids [he was teaching], and they didn’t know 'Welcome Back, Kotter,'" Greg Hauptner, founder and CEO of G-Star Academy, told the Post on Tuesday. "The kids went back and watched just about every episode. It drove him crazy, but he loved every minute of it."

PHOTOS: 'Welcome Back, Kotter' -- Where are they now?

Palillo also wrote a play, "The Lost Boy," was artistic director at Palm Beach's Cuillo Center for the Arts, and had numerous theater roles including the off-Broadway production of Lanford Wilson's "Hot L Baltimore," according to Theater Mania.

Palillo's costar Robert Hegyes, who played fellow "Sweathog" Juan Epstein, died this past January at 60 of an apparent heart attack.

"RIP Ron Palillo - Horshack," tweeted Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor. "I used to impersonate him on stage when my dad or mom performed stand up. I was 5."

A couple of non-celeb types chimed in on Twitter with other examples of what Horshack meant to children of the '70s.

"Sad about Horshack. It explains a lot about me that he was one of my 1st crushes. It explains even more that another one was Soupy Sales," wrote @erdmanmolly.

"Other kids wanted to be Marcia Brady," said @SarahThyre. "I wanted to be Arnold Horshack. Byyyyyyyyyyye, Ron Palillo."

So, ooh! Ooh ooh! Ooh! Here are a couple of clips of Palillo in action. We hope you laugh as hard as we know Horshack could.

LA Times.com (latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-ron-palillo-dies-horshack-dead-welcome-back-kotter,0,7212080.story)

chefcraig
08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Damn, the two guys at the top of this photo have both passed away this year. Who would have thunk that any of us would outlive two of the Sweathogs?

RIP, Misters Palillo and Hegyes, AKA Horshack and Epstein. Thanks for the laughs and insight.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/rickarce/kotter3.jpg

jhale667
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
kinda ironic Horshack and Epstein both died this year of the same cause, too. :(

Nickdfresh
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
And that Mr. Kotter has outlived two of his students...

Nickdfresh
08-15-2012, 11:11 AM
:)

"Up your fuckin' nose with a rubber hose." LMFAO!!

gbranton
08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I thought he got an iron fence post shoved through his abdomen by Jason Voorhees a long time ago.

FORD
08-15-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm sure my mother will be very sad to hear this.... she used to call him "Horseshit" and couldn't stand his laugh.

Rest in peace, Ron :(

Nickdfresh
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM

LOL All this time I thought Big Kahuna burger was a real chain presumably on the west coast...

78/84 guy
08-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Classic man. R.I.P. Shit I am getting old.

fourthcoming
08-18-2012, 12:24 PM
R.I.P. Horshack. I remember one of the first records my mother ever bought me was a 45 of 'Welcome Back' by John Sebastion....don't know why but I loved that song when I was a little kid.

78/84 guy
08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
R.I.P. Horshack. I remember one of the first records my mother ever bought me was a 45 of 'Welcome Back' by John Sebastion....don't know why but I loved that song when I was a little kid.

That tune is fucking great ! Still give's me goosebumps. I think it just reminds me of the 70's. Growing up watching that show. It was classic.

DONNIEP
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I know this is a death thread and all...but every time I think of that song I see this in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiPf7ubjk4Q

78/84 guy
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I know this is a death thread and all...but every time I think of that song I see this in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiPf7ubjk4Q

To bad we had to wait another 10 fucking years. I would love to hear what happened in 2000. Ed must have been a mess ?

ThrillsNSpills
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Speaking of which does anyone remember the single Gonna Let her in by John Travolta?

I think that song would have been better if he'd have thrown in a couple Barberino "what...where" lines during the solo.

(if you don't remember it, don't look it up on Youtube...your welcome)

FORD
08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I barely remember that song... seemed to be part of that trend in the 70s where all the TV stars decided they were suddenly singers, whether or not they could actually sing. I think David Soul of Starsky & Hutch started it. Or I suppose you could always blame the Brady Bunch. (I don't really blame the Partridge Family because singing was part of their act from the beginning.)

Oddly enough, it was Miami Vice's Don Johnson who apparently killed the trend with his godawful album.

78/84 guy
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Speaking of which does anyone remember the single Gonna Let her in by John Travolta?

I think that song would have been better if he'd have thrown in a couple Barberino "what...where" lines during the solo.

LMFAO ! I have the tape of this. My buddys sister gave it to me about 10 years ago when we helped her move. I never have listened to it. But I do have a tape player in my car. I should drop the top & crank it cruzin for chicks at the beach ! He has on a blue turtleneck on the cover ! Lol

DONNIEP
08-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Oddly enough, it was Miami Vice's Don Johnson who apparently killed the trend with his godawful album.

I swear I'm not trying to derail this thread...and Miami Vice rules...but this, well, see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ggsMq8JXM

78/84 guy
08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I swear I'm not trying to derail this thread...and Miami Vice rules...but this, well, see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ggsMq8JXM

Man I couldn't push play. I think I remember how god awful it was.

Angel
08-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Man I couldn't push play. I think I remember how god awful it was.

It is good for a laugh though. :biggrin:

Sensible Shoes
08-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Don't forget this......

fourthcoming
08-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Ha.....I looked that tune up.....funny shit....definitely could have used some Barbarino-isms.