PDA

View Full Version : Director Tony Scott's Suicide

LoungeMachine
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434

By ANTHONY CASTELLANO and LUCHINA FISHER (@luchina)
Aug. 20, 2012

Tony Scott, director of "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide," had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News.

The famed director died Sunday after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities said.

Police said they received a 911 call at about 12:30 p.m. that an individual had jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The body was recovered around 3 p.m., when it was identified by authorities as Scott, according to Lt. Joseph Bale of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

The Coroner's Office found several notes to loved ones in Scott's car, a spokesman told The Associated Press. A suicide note was later found at his office, according to the AP.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement, according to the AP.

Scott, 68, was perhaps best known for directing "Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise in 1986, which went on to gross more than $300 million worldwide, according to IMDB.com. The duo worked again in the 1990 film "Days of Thunder."

The British-born director also frequently worked with Denzel Washington, most recently in the 2010 film "Unstoppable." They collaborated on four other films: "Crimson Tide," "Man on Fire," "Deja Vu" and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Scott was the younger brother of producer and director Ridley Scott. Together, the brothers formed their own production company, Scott Free Productions. Their company produced the CBS dramas "NUMB3RS" and "The Good Wife."The 2012 blockbuster "Prometheus" was the latest film released by their production company.

Other Tony Scott films include "True Romance," written by Quentin Tarantino, "The Fan," with Robert De Niro, and "Enemy of the State," starring Will Smith.

In a tweet Sunday, director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."

"Most of the obits for Tony Scott will mention "Top Gun" first, but my favorite will always be "True Romance." RIP," tweeted film critic Richard Roeper.

Scott was survived by his wife, Donna, and their twin sons

:gulp: Rest in Peace Tony

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
RIP Tony.

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
It's a shame although I can't say I was a big fan.

His best work was True Romance although he bottled it changing the ending to a happy one and I remember Tarantino not being happy.

His work seemed to be more about the bottom line than an artist. Nothing wrong with that but once you have made millions then there is nowhere much to go.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
I guess I'm more intrigued by the way he went out....

Famous people just don't jump from bridges anymore.

He had a million people to call to bring him a bottle downers and 2 fifths of grey Goose.

:gulp:

Public Suicide? Wonder if he was rethinking the shot on the way down?

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
185 feet - be just like hitting concrete from that height.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
If he had brain cancer maybe he wasn't himself. Maybe the tumor grew so big that it effected his mental health.

ZahZoo
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Suicide is such a selfish act...

LoungeMachine
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM

I agree to a point...

IF [and no one knows the circumstances here] someone becomes a burden to others, especially family and loved ones, I can see it as selfless.

I'd be calling for the percs and the Grey Goose if everyone's lives around me were constantly turned upside down over my state of health.

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 02:07 PM
If he had terminal brain cancer maybe he just said fuck it, I'm done. Sucks for his family and friends but maybe he didn't want to suffer for months. But I'd go with Lounge's prescription - way less painful..

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
a shields lad made good , rip.
Thoughts are with the family something like this most be horrendous.

gbranton
08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I am kind of divided on this. I understand wanting to escape the potential suffering of a disease like cancer, both my parents died from lung cancer that spread to their brains last year. The disease itself is horrible. The "treatment"? maybe even worse. Either way there is a ton of suffering, but I had a dear friend who was terminally ill and committed suicide at roughly the same age as my parents years ago and I am far less at peace with how it all went down. Selfish, I know but it just didn't seem right and his kids are still screwed up by it, more I think than if their dad had died in the hospital. There are no easy answers to this question, none.

I enjoyed his less well known movies by far. My favorite is The Last Boy Scout, I also like Crimson Tide quite a bit. Revenge was another pretty good one.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I am kind of divided on this. I understand wanting to escape the potential suffering of a disease like cancer, both my parents died from lung cancer that spread to their brains last year. The disease itself is horrible. The "treatment"? maybe even worse. Either way there is a ton of suffering, but I had a dear friend who was terminally ill and committed suicide at roughly the same age as my parents years ago and I am far less at peace with how it all went down. Selfish, I know but it just didn't seem right and his kids are still screwed up by it, more I think than if their dad had died in the hospital. There are no easy answers to this question, none.

I enjoyed his less well known movies by far. My favorite is The Last Boy Scout, I also like Crimson Tide quite a bit. Revenge was another pretty good one.

It is strange that he did it in such dramatic way. If I was to kill myself I'd do it with pills and alcohol.

FORD
08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
It is strange that he did it in such dramatic way. If I was to kill myself I'd do it with pills and alcohol.

Overdosing on pills and alcohol might be the most painless way to go, but it also runs the risk that somebody might walk in on you and stop your plans.

Once you jump off a bridge, nobody is stopping that. And if the impact of hitting the water itself doesn't kill you, you would drown soon enough.

And plus, the guy directed action movies. It would be more shocking if he DIDN'T put some drama into the whole thing. Hell, I'm surprised he didn't bring a camera crew.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Overdosing on pills and alcohol might be the most painless way to go, but it also runs the risk that somebody might walk in on you and stop your plans.

Once you jump off a bridge, nobody is stopping that. And if the impact of hitting the water itself doesn't kill you, you would drown soon enough.

And plus, the guy directed action movies. It would be more shocking if he DIDN'T put some drama into the whole thing. Hell, I'm surprised he didn't bring a camera crew.

I wouldn't be brave enough to jump.

BumBahDeeDah
08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I feel really blessed right now that Ive never had a problem so big that I had to debate suicide witn myself, and Mr Scott's problem was HUGE, so I wont judge. Of course, I've seen people with problems that were not anywhere near as bad as that take their own life and think to myself, "How could you do that to your loved ones over _________________________?! Selfish coward."

BumBahDeeDah
08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Man on Fire was a great movie.

hambon4lif
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be brave enough to jump.In other words, it means that even more deeply intellectual, thought-provoking threads like "What Kind Of Toothpaste Do You Use?" or "What Is Al's Bass-Drum Thinking?" are on the horizon.

Terrific! :thumb:

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM

If you are going to do that NEVER use paracetamol.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
If you are going to do that NEVER use paracetamol.

Yeah, I took 4 today just cause I have a cold.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
In other words, it means that even more deeply intellectual, thought-provoking threads like "What Kind Of Toothpaste Do You Use?" or "What Is Al's Bass-Drum Thinking?" are on the horizon.

Terrific! :thumb:

Oh yeah, let's see what you have to offer. At least I do something.

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 05:50 PM
A mate I drink with is a paramedic , he has some pretty horrific stories about people over dosing on paracetamol ...

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
A mate I drink with is a paramedic , he has some pretty horrific stories about people over dosing on paracetamol ...

Really? Please, tell more. I love those kind of stories.

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
The worst is if you try it and then wake up in hospital the next day only to find out you have 2 very unpleasant days to live and absolutely nothing can be done about that.

I like to think we share some useful information around here from time to time be it pickup polarity setup, the likelihood of the bible being literal or advanced suicide techniques... :)

envy_me
08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
the worst is if you try it and then wake up in hospital the next day only to find out you have 2 very unpleasant days to live and absolutely nothing can be done about that.

I like to think we share some useful information around here from time to time be it pickup polarity setup, the likelihood of the bible being literal or advanced suicide techniques... :)

lmao :D

You should also never jump in front of a train. People don't even die that often, most of them just get their limbs cut off.

DONNIEP
08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
The worst is if you try it and then wake up in hospital the next day only to find out you have 2 very unpleasant days to live and absolutely nothing can be done about that.

Or shooting yourself. You'd be surprised how many people shoot themselves - in the head - only to wake up fucked-up-for-life in a hospital bed. And the worst part - they can't even pick up another gun to finish the job. So shooting yourself is bad, it's real bad, 'mkay?

hambon4lif
08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, let's see what you have to offer. At least I do something.Cam down, bro!

I was merely implying that you're not exactly the type of person that splits atoms on your days off.

No need to act like such a hard-on.:thumb:

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Two things strike me about these figures.

1) Am I the only person who didn't realize until now that men commit suicide so much more than women?

2) I'm guessing Greece has moved in position over the last couple of years...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/12/09/business/economy/suicideratesoecd.jpg

envy_me
08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Cam down, bro!

I was merely implying that you're not exactly the type of person that splits atoms on your days off.

I don't think any of us are. Ever heard of that aristocrat that loves Van Halen? :D

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Aha.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/28/us-greece-election-suicide-idUSBRE83R08N20120428

Before the financial crisis began wreaking havoc in 2009, Greece had one of the lowest suicide rates in the world - 2.8 per 100,000 inhabitants. There was a 40 percent rise in suicides in the first half of 2010, according to the Health Ministry.

There are no reliable statistics on 2011 but experts say Greece's suicide rate has probably doubled to about 5 per 100,000. That is still far below levels of 34 per 100,000 seen in Finland or 9 per 100,000 in Germany. Attempted suicides and demand for psychiatric help has risen as Greece struggles to cope with the worst economic crisis since World War Two.

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Really? Please, tell more. I love those kind of stories.

Its well documented on the net , am not really the gory story type .Its a very painful way to do it , a lot of people do it then regret it and then it's two late they have did to much damage to vital organs.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 06:09 PM

1) Am I the only person who didn't realize until now that men commit suicide so much more than women?

2) I'm guessing Greece has moved in position over the last couple of years...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/12/09/business/economy/suicideratesoecd.jpg

Look at Norway, at least we're better then them in something :D

I am not suprised about men vs women statistics. I don't think men have it easy.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Its well documented on the net , am not really the gory story type .Its a very painful way to do it , a lot of people do it then regret it and then it's two late they have did to much damage to vital organs.

Who would rely on a simple paracetamol to take their life, you need horse-benzo or something.

When we're on suicide, there was one guy here that did it online, hang himself. There are videos of that on internet. Just a few years ago. I saw it, and I regret it.

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
You had suicide watch in a shoe shop
;-)

Seshmeister
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I know these are stereotypes and cliches but it's really funny how the most excitable melodramatic nationalities that seem to always be waving their arms about like Greeks, Italians and Mexicans never actually get around to killing themselves whereas the stoic repressed Japanese, Scandinavians and Swiss don't make a fuss they just get on with it... :)

vandeleur
08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
The Swiss it's between cuckoo clocks and assisted suicide for their biggest industry..... That's a joke :)

envy_me
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I know these are stereotypes and cliches but it's really funny how the most excitable melodramatic nationalities that seem to always be waving their arms about like Greeks, Italians and Mexicans never actually get around to killing themselves whereas the stoic repressed Japanese, Scandinavians and Swiss don't make a fuss they just get on with it... :)

Yeah, stereotypes but I believe the sun has a lot to do with it. People are happier and more tempered in the hot countries. More hormones and life. It's the same with everything. Even plants. Have you seen a tomato from Greece? Compare it to a tomato from Scandinavia. Same with people. We have had ONE day without rain this summer, who wouldn't wanna kill themselves?
Tomato-suicide makes me wanna do a ketchup joke, but I won't...

LoungeMachine
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Cam down, bro!

He's a little thin-skinned at times.

But he's harmless.

envy_me
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
He's a little thin-skinned at times.

But he's harmless.

You're a woman, you know that?

LoungeMachine
08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
You're a woman, you know that?

Shit!!!

Great, now I gotta go break it to my girlfriend she's a lesbian

envy_me
08-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Shit!!!

Great, now I gotta go break it to my girlfriend she's a lesbian

I think she noticed by now, or maybe she hopes that your clitoris is just a micro-penis.

fryingdutchman
08-21-2012, 04:59 AM
RIP Mr. Scott.

What a way to go....one final end of summer blockbuster!

Angel
08-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Yes, from our perspective. From the suicidal individual's perspective though it is a selfless act.

When depression gets to the point of suicidal ideology, one's cognitive thinking is extremely distorted. Many suicidal people may think that they are a burden on their families and the world in general. They believe that they are doing their families a favour and that everyone's lives will be better without them in the world.

Mental illness is horrible and depression (and suicide) is terribly misunderstood. The more depressive episodes one has, the higher the risk of suicide. When one is clinically depressed, it feels like your brain is in a heavy black fog, and the brain doesn't work very well. It's a horrid thing to have to deal with, believe me, I've battled chronic depression for most of my life.

Seshmeister
08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Way to brighten up a fun suicide thread...

Angel
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM

They commit suicide more, but there are still more women that attempt suicide. Women usually aren't successful because they choose less violent and "cleaner" means...mainly pills and alcohol, which is very rarely successful because your body will try to reject the toxins, and as a result you puke it all out. Men choose messier methods such as jumping, hanging, and suicide by car.

A girl I went to school with tried carbon monoxide poisoning, plugged the tail pipe and sat in the car with the windows up. She is brain damaged and has NO short term memory, whatsoever. Very sad...

Angel
08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Way to brighten up a fun suicide thread...

Hey, now that you know I'm at risk, you can start a pool. :D. Don't stop, I'm taking notes for future reference ;)

Seshmeister
08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
A girl I went to school with tried carbon monoxide poisoning, plugged the tail pipe and sat in the car with the windows up. She is brain damaged and has NO short term memory, whatsoever. Very sad...

Kids can be so cruel I remember you telling us the story of big boned Bertha?

Of course at least she still posts in our Frontline forum regularly under an alias...

Angel
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Kids can be so cruel I remember you telling us the story of big boned Bertha?

Of course at least she still posts in our Frontline forum regularly under an alias...

Not my story, but I like the alias mention, lmao.

This was a case of an abusive spouse though, not kids. Did lose a good friend when I was in grade 10 though, she hung herself in the school. The town I grew up in was the suicide capital of Canada. We had a guy burn himself to death on our school tennis court...that was NASTY! We had a neighbour that blew his brains out in his garage. He didn't have the door closed when he did it, and I still remember seeing brain matter in the alley....gross.

I think the worst was when a good friend found his mom in the garage. He was on acid and saw the light on. Figured his brother had left the light on so he went to turn it off so that his bro wouldn't get a beating from his dad (nasty man). His mom was in the car, she had burned through a full tank of gas. Brutal.

ZahZoo
08-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Yes, from our perspective. From the suicidal individual's perspective though it is a selfless act.

When depression gets to the point of suicidal ideology, one's cognitive thinking is extremely distorted. Many suicidal people may think that they are a burden on their families and the world in general. They believe that they are doing their families a favour and that everyone's lives will be better without them in the world.

Mental illness is horrible and depression (and suicide) is terribly misunderstood. The more depressive episodes one has, the higher the risk of suicide. When one is clinically depressed, it feels like your brain is in a heavy black fog, and the brain doesn't work very well. It's a horrid thing to have to deal with, believe me, I've battled chronic depression for most of my life.

I know depression is a terrible affliction and when the suicide thoughts play the person sees mostly themselves as the target of their ills. Very inward projection that most just want to be done with... Thus the thinking they are doing everyone else a favor by checking out... Terrible cycle to get caught up in, both physically and emotionally.

My ex-wife has been a poster child for depression the last 20 years and doing her best to slowly eliminate herself through substance abuse and abusive relationships. Luckily I was able to get our son out of her realm and she was kind enough to move to another state and generate her own messes. Terribly sad situation to observe... but I've managed to raise a wonderful, successful and healthy 22 year old son who only suffers from the anger of his mom failing as a parent, but wasn't dragged into her roller coasters and deep dives...

Yount
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I got no probs with suicide.

So they create a totally fucked system and people are doing themselves in because of it.

How is that selfish?? Stand up and fight? The game is rigged! Suicide has to happen, the way things are.

Angel
08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I know depression is a terrible affliction and when the suicide thoughts play the person sees mostly themselves as the target of their ills. Very inward projection that most just want to be done with... Thus the thinking they are doing everyone else a favor by checking out... Terrible cycle to get caught up in, both physically and emotionally.

My ex-wife has been a poster child for depression the last 20 years and doing her best to slowly eliminate herself through substance abuse and abusive relationships. Luckily I was able to get our son out of her realm and she was kind enough to move to another state and generate her own messes. Terribly sad situation to observe... but I've managed to raise a wonderful, successful and healthy 22 year old son who only suffers from the anger of his mom failing as a parent, but wasn't dragged into her roller coasters and deep dives...

Congratulations and kudos on raising your son and not putting up with it. I'm assuming she never went for help?

I regret the shit my son experienced. A depressed mom and an alcoholic dad...not a nice place to grow up in. However, somehow we managed to raise an incredible young man, but I do feel he was robbed of his childhood. He's very forgiving though. Anytime I've expressed regret for not getting help sooner, he responds that we did the best to our capability. I'm alive today because of him, no matter how low I got, the thought of him going through the pain and guilt that I went through was always enough for me to fight off those thoughts....