PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. man on the moon! Neil Armstrong dies...

DavidLeeNatra
08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
a true hero for mankind!

Nickdfresh
08-25-2012, 03:40 PM
First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82: NBC
Reuters – 11 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.

Armstrong underwent a heart-bypass surgery earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5, to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the moon's dusty surface, Armstrong said: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

The Apollo 11 moon mission turned out to be Armstrong's last space flight. The following year he was appointed to a desk job, being named NASA's deputy associate administrator for aeronautics in the office of advanced research and technology.

He left NASA a year later to become a professor of engineering at the University of Cincinnati.

The former astronaut lived in the Cincinnati area with his wife, Carol.

(Reporting by Sandra Maler; Editing by Philip Barbara)

Well, I guess the Eagle has made its final landing. RIP Neil Armstrong... :(

FORD
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA

Today, you make another "small step", and the first man on the Moon will meet the guy who created the Moon.

Now you can explore the rest of space without worrying about that silly suit.

Rest in Space, Mr. Armstrong :(

DavidLeeNatra
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/69364main_armstrong_suit_full.jpg

SunisinuS
08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
RIS Neil.

Wow.

The last time we went to the moon they were young men.

But it was years in between launches to the new world back in the 1400's so I suppose big enterprises take long term thinking.

Neil was a great Representative for the first one....Buzz would have just jumped off the Lander and yelled "First!"

gbranton
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM
As a small child my mom deposited me in front of the television for all the moon landings. They inspired a nation.

I recently visited the space museum in Huntsville, my step mother's father came to America at the close of WWII and worked with Werner Von Braun. I saw his picture in the museum and saw that she lives a couple of blocks from where Von Braun lived. There are several of her neighbors who, like her father, were former Nazi scientists. They are passing away pretty frequently these days.

Seeing those spacecraft gave me a tremendous new respect for these men, they had serious courage to ride in those cramped, relatively primitive spacecraft, not knowing for sure if they would return. I like to think I'm pretty brave but I don't think I could have done it. The museum is amazing, if any of you are ever in the area you must visit it.

fryingdutchman
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
One sad day for mankind...

RIP Mr. Armstrong.

SunisinuS
08-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Again....who would have thought then....that the first man on the moon would be dead when there were still no people living on the moon.

RIP Space.

Hardrock69
08-25-2012, 05:26 PM
NBC posted "Astronaut Neil Young" dies:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/08/neil-armstrong-dies---not-neil-young.html

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hgeqes.jpg

When big news breaks, such as the death of first man to walk on the moon Neil Armstrong at the age of 82, all the news organizations are scrambling to get the news reported, and then put together a Life in Pictures gallery or edit a video montage.

NBC News got a little ahead of themselves when news of Armstrong's death hit the internet, posting a story with the headline, "Astronaut Neil Young, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82."

Oops.

Paging Jimmy Fallon -- if "astronaut Neil Young" doesn't make an appearance on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" Monday night, you have really dropped the ball, fella.

Hardrock69
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Aside from that, he led a good long life, and is one of the few people to ever escape the bonds of Earth's gravity.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Armstrong.

Seshmeister
08-25-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA

Today, you make another "small step", and the first man on the Moon will meet the guy who created the Moon.

Of course because in the words of invisible sky daddy

Genesis 1:16

God made two great lights--the larger one to govern the day, and the smaller one to govern the night. He also made the stars.

Oh no wait a minute.

That's complete fucking nonsense the moon only reflects the sun...

motherchicken
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Oh no wait a minute.

The "invisible sky daddy" didn't write the bible. And the King James version isn't a straight up translation of the bible either. I'm an agnostic myself. But I don't understand why atheists get so pissy about somebody elses believes.

FORD
08-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Oh no wait a minute.

I said God created the moon. I never said he did it so Adam & Eve could have a night light.

fifth element
08-27-2012, 03:22 PM
RIP Neil Armstrong.

how many here would like to take a trip to the moon, or to Mars?

Seshmeister
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Not me the whole thing is pretty horrible, shit everywhere.

Navy seals are fairly tough guys but apparently when they opened the capsule when it landed a few of them threw up from the smell.

DONNIEP
08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Not me the whole thing is pretty horrible, shit everywhere.

Navy seals are fairly tough guys but apparently when they opened the capsule when it landed a few of them threw up from the smell.

Sesh, you know that's complete bullshit. The moon landing was a gubment hoax, didn't ya know? :biggrin:

Seshmeister
08-27-2012, 07:52 PM
My latest rant when people say that crap is to start a big explanation about how radio triangulation works and how it has been in common usage since WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_finding

It's like you see in the old movies where the Germans knock down the door of the place the resistance have been transmitting messages from.

The Russians, Chinese and every other major power could very easily and accurately track the moon missions this way.

Another thing is that amateur astronomers all over the world were tracking the missions.

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/space/apollo.html

I'm hoping the excellent Mythbusters episode will have debunked some of this nonsense, I just find it so sad that people are so poisoned against the world that they won't accept maybe the greatest achievement of mankind despite overwhelming evidence, facts and stuff.

DONNIEP
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I can't believe there are actually people who still believe it was a hoax. Ah, at least the moon-landing-conspiracy-shows are fun to watch :)

DavidLeeNatra
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I can't believe there are actually people who still believe it was a hoax. Ah, at least the moon-landing-conspiracy-shows are fun to watch :)

don't mess with the guys who've been there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU&feature=related

Seshmeister
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I can't believe there are actually people who still believe it was a hoax.

It does save time as it tells you immediately that they are an idiot.

fifth element
08-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Go, Buzz!! :clap::clap::clap:

motherchicken
08-27-2012, 11:17 PM
There are people out there that wouldn't believe we went to the moon even if they would have erected some kind of structure there you could see with a telescope.

motherchicken
08-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Suprised no one mentioned the other beings chillin' out watching Armstrong take his small step. If these other beings have such capabities it seems a shame they had nothing better to do at the time.

envy_me
08-28-2012, 06:44 AM
RIP Neil Armstrong.

how many here would like to take a trip to the moon, or to Mars?

I defenitelly wouldn't. I went out last night, and got migrene, my dad had to pick me up and drive me home. Imagine getting migrene in space. Is there more uncomfortable place to get sick. God, I love being home.

DONNIEP
08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I defenitelly wouldn't. I went out last night, and got migrene, my dad had to pick me up and drive me home. Imagine getting migrene in space. Is there more uncomfortable place to get sick. God, I love being home.

And this is why mens go to the moon and womarns go to the store and pick up the party liquors for the mens :biggrin:

envy_me
08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
And this is why mens go to the moon and womarns go to the store and pick up the party liquors for the mens :biggrin:

I don't do that either :D

DONNIEP
08-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Ah, it was a joke anyway. Ever heard of Squidbillies? Unknown Hinson?

envy_me
08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Ah, it was a joke anyway. Ever heard of Squidbillies? Unknown Hinson?

I knew it was a joke :-) there are lots of female astronauts. Like the one with the diaper.

Never heard of those things.

Seshmeister
08-28-2012, 10:22 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/armstronghoax.jpg

Nickdfresh
08-28-2012, 01:00 PM
My latest rant when people say that crap is to start a big explanation about how radio triangulation works and how it has been in common usage since WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_finding

It's like you see in the old movies where the Germans knock down the door of the place the resistance have been transmitting messages from.

The Russians, Chinese and every other major power could very easily and accurately track the moon missions this way.

Another thing is that amateur astronomers all over the world were tracking the missions.

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/space/apollo.html

I'm hoping the excellent Mythbusters episode will have debunked some of this nonsense, I just find it so sad that people are so poisoned against the world that they won't accept maybe the greatest achievement of mankind despite overwhelming evidence, facts and stuff.

Another neat little page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

Observers of all missions

The Soviet Union monitored the missions at their Space Transmissions Corps, which was "fully equipped with the latest intelligence-gathering and surveillance equipment".[26] Vasily Mishin ("The Moon Programme That Faltered."), in Spaceflight. 33 (March 1991), pages 2–3 describes how the Soviet Moon programme lost energy after the Apollo landing.

The missions were tracked by radar from several countries on the way to the Moon and back.[27]

The NASA Manned Space Flight Network (MSFN) was a world-wide network of stations that tracked the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Skylab missions. Most MSFN stations were only needed during the launch, Earth orbit and landing phases of the lunar missions, but three "deep space" sites with larger antennas provided continuous coverage during the trans-lunar, trans-earth and lunar mission phases. Today, these three sites form the NASA Deep Space Network: the Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex near Goldstone, California; the Madrid Deep Space Communication Complex near Madrid, Spain; and the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex, in Tidbinbilla, near Canberra, Australia.

Although most MSFN stations were NASA-owned, they employed many local citizens. NASA also contracted the Parkes Observatory in New South Wales, Australia, to supplement the three deep space sites, most famously during the Apollo 11 EVA as documented in Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia[28][29] and portrayed (humorously and not quite accurately) in the movie The Dish. The Parkes Observatory is not NASA-owned; it is, and always has been, owned and operated by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), a research agency of the Australian government.

Several other Australian sites which are no longer part of the Deep Space Network were also involved in relaying Apollo lunar transmissions. The deep space (lunar) tracking station was originally Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station. Carnarvon Tracking Station was one of the smaller and more numerous MSFN sites used primarily to support the near-earth segments of Apollo missions, though it also relayed data from the ALSEP lunar surface experiments. Due to its location on Australia's west coast, Carnarvon played a special role in the Apollo trans lunar injection and atmospheric reentry phases. Deakin Switching Centre routed the Apollo television broadcasts.[30]

It would have been relatively easy for NASA to avoid using the Parkes Observatory to receive the Apollo 11 EVA television signals by scheduling the EVA at an earlier time when the Goldstone station could provide complete coverage.

ZahZoo
08-28-2012, 03:25 PM

You should have just drank your way out of the migrene...

Astronauts go through pretty extensive training programs did you skip yours?

envy_me
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
You should have just drank your way out of the migrene...

Astronauts go through pretty extensive training programs did you skip yours?

I didn't even wanna drink water cause I didn't wanna have something to throw up. I'm a shoe-woman, the training isn't quiet the same as for the astronauts :D
I think it migh have something to do with the weather change. We had +3 degrees this morning. Wait, I'll google how much it is in F.

Edit: 37.4 fahrenheit :-/

lesfunk
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Sasquatch?

lesfunk
08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
I didn't even wanna drink water cause I didn't wanna have something to throw up. I'm a shoe-woman, the training isn't quiet the same as for the astronauts :D
I think it migh have something to do with the weather change. We had +3 degrees this morning. Wait, I'll google how much it is in F.

Edit: 37.4 fahrenheit :-/Dear, That's fucking cold. It's still Summer I thought

clarathecarrot
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
There aren't any candy assed liberals on the Moon.

RIP

Nickdfresh
08-29-2012, 03:31 AM
The Moonmen of Cheese are all conservatives?

envy_me
08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Dear, That's fucking cold. It's still Summer I thought

I have never experienced worst summer. It has been rain, hail, thunder whole time. Cold and bad weather? Yeah, summer is still here :D

ZahZoo
08-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I have never experienced worst summer. It has been rain, hail, thunder whole time. Cold and bad weather? Yeah, summer is still here :D

I'll trade you that for this darn record heat and drought... although we're hoping Hurricane Isaac will change all that. It's expected to move into Arkansas late Thursday, early Friday with potential for flooding rain Friday. I'm not worried... live on top of a mountain.

envy_me
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll trade you that for this darn record heat and drought... although we're hoping Hurricane Isaac will change all that. It's expected to move into Arkansas late Thursday, early Friday with potential for flooding rain Friday. I'm not worried... live on top of a mountain.

No, thanks :-) It's so bitter that everybody gets what they already have plenty of. Nature should really find another way, cause this isn't working.
Why don't you come and live here? It's not so bad...

ZahZoo
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Primary reason... you can't play golf year round there. Secondary... I like being around my adult kids and grandchildren.

clarathecarrot
08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
There has been a 4 hr block of shows on The Science Channel running right now there are 4 hrs more schedualed for tonight as far as I can tell.

These have been the most indepth and interesting shows on the 1960 race to the moon I have seen.

The last hr was the, little people, 10 of thousands of individuals who helped created these rockets and the women at playtex bra factory who created and perfected the space suits flexibility..lol.. One engineer now old and wiser... said, we didn't really realize how much the surf board builders we hired off of Seal Beach in California helped solve the problems we had no answer to.. of adhearing a foam coolant shield to the Saturn Rocket outer skin.....then he added when the surf was up these guys were unnavailable to work ..lol.

They also have a several hr long Niel Armstrong special tribute schedualled for Saturday night.

So this is love
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
There has been a 4 hr block of shows on The Science Channel running right now there are 4 hrs more schedualed for tonight as far as I can tell.

These have been the most indepth and interesting shows on the 1960 race to the moon I have seen.

The last hr was the, little people, 10 of thousands of individuals who helped created these rockets and the women at playtex bra factory who created and perfected the space suits flexibility..lol.. One engineer now old and wiser... said, we didn't really realize how much the surf board builders we hired off of Seal Beach in California helped solve the problems we had no answer to.. of adhearing a foam coolant shield to the Saturn Rocket outer skin.....then he added when the surf was up these guys were unnavailable to work ..lol.

They also have a several hr long Niel Armstrong special tribute schedualled for Saturday night.

Do you believe they put a man on the moon? RIP Neil Armstrong btw

clarathecarrot
08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Do you believe they put a man on the moon? RIP Neil Armstrong btw

I think it is completely believable, and was done.

I have a telescope and I can see the lunar rover tracks...not really..lol

It isn't that far.

Hell it takes 3 days to get to Alaska from Florida in a car..piece of cake.

clarathecarrot
09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I think it is completely believable, and was done.

I have a telescope and I can see the lunar rover tracks...not really..lol

It isn't that far.

Hell it takes 3 days to get to Alaska from Florida in a car..piece of cake.

The Moon jazz is on science channel and then the Armstrong tribute...

Nitro Express
09-08-2012, 02:00 AM
My father in law was a project manager at Boeing during the Apollo program. He said it was killer overtime. He was a P-51 mechanic during the Korean war. When he retired and moved from Seattle he threw out binders full of technical data on the Saturn V rocket, a P-51 pilots manual, and a P-51 mechanics manual. I said I would have loved to have that stuff and he said I could have had it all. I didn't know he even had it and he thought nobody would want it. Still to this day you bring up the Apollo program and he isn't real excited about talking about it. He just said he spent so much time of his life working in that program that he's still burnt on it. My wife was born in Huntsville, Alabama because he was working at the Marshall Space Center at the time. He worked in the same building as Von Braun at one time. He thought he was a smart guy but also still thought he was a Nazi who should have been sent to prison for war crimes. I think one of the biggest mistakes we made as a country was letting all those nazis in here and giving them a break because we wanted their technology.

My father in law loved Armstrong because he was so humble. It sounds like he was just a totally unpretentious, unegoed out person.

Nickdfresh
09-08-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm guessing this is in the 80%....