PDA

View Full Version : Hey Satan, You Been In The Studio Recording A New CD, Eh?????

Hardrock69
09-03-2012, 05:22 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=178897

Reunited Original Lineup Of SATAN Working On New Album - Sep. 2, 2012
Legendary NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) band SATAN is putting the finishing touches on the material for a new album. The CD, which will arrive early next year to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the release of the first SATAN LP, "Court In The Act", will feature the band's original members and is regarded by the group as the recording that would have been the follow-up effort featuring the classic SATAN lineup.

SATAN already has offers from various record companies for the release of the new album and will announce a new label home soon.

Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Twenty Twenty Five", "Testimony", "Cenotaph", "Incantations", "Time To Die" and "Demons Pulling You Down".

Watch out for upcoming SATAN festival appearances in 2013.

SATAN is:

Brian Ross (vocals)
Steve Ramsey (guitar)
Russ Tippins (guitar)
Graeme English (bass)
Sean Taylor (drums)

SATAN's classic "Court In The Act" lineup — including singer Brian Ross and SKYCLAD's Graeme English and Steve Ramsey — performed for the first time since 1984 at the 2004 edition of the Wacken Open Air festival.

SATAN is one of the most important groups that emerged in the early NWOBHM era. Their unique mixture of heavy and power metal spirit with thrash riffage brought a handful of unforgettable tunes and revolutionized heavy music as we know it.

"Court in the Act" was SATAN's debut release and was considered a true milestone at the time of its release (1983). The songs were melodic, but at the same time very aggressive. The band's two guitarists, Russ Tippins and Steve Ramsey, delivered a truly amazing performance; although their styles were completely different, they managed to perfectly complement each other's playing and introduced a handful of timeless riffs and solos.

A digipack reissue of "Court In The Act" was made available in November 2008 featuring three bonus tracks.

vandeleur
09-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Russ tippins is fucking awesome he plays in our local regular ... Great player and equally good voice .
And his guitar defies the normal rules of physics we watched him put new strings on it minutes before playing and then did an hour and half zep set with no locking trem and never had to re tune .... Bastard :biggrin:

ELVIS
09-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Locking whammys are overrated 80s gizmos...

vandeleur
09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Hot gig under lights with full set of new strings .., no stretch ... It's magic :D

Seshmeister
09-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Locking tuners really help I think.

vandeleur
09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Me to , especially for gigs. I got a great guitar made for me years ago and I wouldn't use it at a gig , its a les Paul shape and I would just tune it all the time. But I am willing to concede that could be my heavy handed playing :D

Mr. Vengeance
09-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Court in the Act was a nice album. Way ahead of it's time. Damned if I can find a copy. Itunes doesn't have it. I'll have to go to Amazon.com. They have it.

vandeleur
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Plus the other point I was getting at was the strings , I never put new ones on that night and even when I put strings on I stretch the fuck out of them . He just banged them on and played .. Needless to say I was impressed . You don't usually get that standard of guitarist in your local it's usually a hack like me lol and the fact he could sing great is just proof he was a bastard :biggrin:

Hardrock69
09-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Glad to see Satan getting back out into the public eye.

chefcraig
09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Locking tuners really help I think.

No, they don't. I was a much better player before and after I had to carry around a bag of these fucking things...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x241/LOUSHARDWARE/ct0368.jpg

Oil the nut, and pay attention while string-winding. Just for shits and giggles, when putting on a new set of strings, tune up one, two or even three steps above normal to stretch the stings out, then tune down to normal. Stringing isn't a science or a high art, it's basic common sense.

vandeleur
09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Nah , my garage is full of those all missing the one I stole for my locking nut..... You only need the good one.
I can't see a bunch of those without trying to measure the one I want to liberate :D

jhale667
09-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Locking whammys are overrated 80s gizmos...

Spoken like a dolt that never learned to set up or use them properly. And try telling that bullshit to EVH or any other professional (or at minimum NON clueless) player.

No, they don't. I was a much better player before and after I had to carry around a bag of these fucking things...

Oil the nut, and pay attention while string-winding. Just for shits and giggles, when putting on a new set of strings, tune up one, two or even three steps above normal to stretch the stings out, then tune down to normal. Stringing isn't a science or a high art, it's basic common sense.

First of all, you only need two wrenches for a Floyd, not a grip of them, and ZERO for 99% of locking tuners. ANY set-up will go out of tune if you don't properly strech the strings.

Seshmeister
09-04-2012, 10:27 AM

I think you misunderstood me, I said locking tuners e.g.

http://www.guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.co.uk/contents/media/locking_tuners.jpg

You don't need any keys for those.

As for bending strings I think it's better to start at the first fret and bend them while fretting the string and then slowly moving up the neck until you get to the top.

Seems to me tuning high would have slight disadvantages but each to their own.

jhale667
09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Going way past the desired pitch would play havoc with the spring tension on a vintage strat trem (or a non-blocked Floyd)...would likely increase set up time...

Seshmeister
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Plus you would end up with a lot of extra string wound which is maybe not the best thing.

vandeleur
09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
To be honest and totally sticking my head above the parapet, i am not overly familiar with locking tuners.
I did misinterpret what you meant.
I have never played a guitar with them on and the only thing i had heard 3rd hand was that its a twat to change the strings.

chefcraig
09-04-2012, 01:25 PM
First of all, you only need two wrenches for a Floyd, not a grip of them, and ZERO for 99% of locking tuners. ANY set-up will go out of tune if you don't properly strech the strings.

Sears does not sell allen keys separately, you need to purchase an entire bag of the damned things. Yes, I was thinking of that idiotic locking nut device thing, which (to me at least) was the essential ingredient in use for every chizzle-wit guitarist I met in the post CVH era that would substitute some brain-rattling dive-bomb or pointless, multi-fingered whackage into a song instead of applying a few choice voicings or simply remaining silent when the opportunity came around for a fill. I got sucked into this madness via the inevitable guitarist's peer-pressure, and regretted it almost immediately. Remember, I'm the guy who removed his tremolo bar (Yeah, yeah...whammy bar, you dolts) sometime in 1987, and have refused to use one ever since.