PDA

View Full Version : Mark Knopfler European Tour

envy_me
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
I LOVE MK and Dire Straits!!! Mark Knopfler is gonna do a tour in Europe next year.
As for now he is gonna play in Gothenburg and Malmö :-( NOT Stockholm. WTF??? We are the capital.
Anyways, he is still adding the dates, so it's not all lost yet.

IF he plays here, there is one song that I would LOVE him to play and that's Telegraph Road.
Sure, it's his choice what he plays. But What IF he has like 30 minutes to fill and like picks the songs out of his hat. Wouldn't it be great if he knew that this girl is DYING to hear Telegraph Road.

How do I make sure he knows that this one song is really, REALLY requested?

Von Halen
09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Do you know where Telegraph Road is?

envy_me
09-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I do, it's on the east coast somewhere. That's my favorite song, so I checked it out :D

envy_me
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
This is perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YxBH0ni8o&gl=US

Von Halen
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Right here in Michigan!

envy_me
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Right here in Michigan!

He was inspired to write the song when he rode the bus on Telegraph Road. I am gonna come to Telegraph Road someday, just to see what made this fantastic song. You have been there, I suppose?
I live at a place that never inspired anybody to anything. You never hear a song about my country. Well, there are a couple of songs about Stockholm, but they are in Swedish.

And what amazing lyrics. I just can't stop listening to it.

vandeleur
09-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I live in Whitley bay, the song tunnel
Of love is all About the old fun fair here.

envy_me
09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I live in Whitley bay, the song tunnel
Of love is all About the old fun fair here.

From Cullercoats and Whitley Bay out to rockaway.

LOVE that song!!

envy_me
10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
He is so perfect, I love him!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMLXEGyAZU

binnie
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I never really 'got' Dire Straits - they make me sleepy.

There just never seemed to be any character to the band....

envy_me
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I never really 'got' Dire Straits - they make me sleepy.

There just never seemed to be any character to the band....

I usually also like bands and people with character. But with Mark Knopfler, he has so much substance that attitude and character isn't needed. If you just peel off all nudity, atitude, stage act etc, how much of the worlds music can stand and still be fantastic. He is one of those who's songs are masterpieces and he really doesn't have to bother with all the shallow stuff..

But music is about taste, I am not trying to convince you to like this particular music, just explaining why, for me personally, doesn't matter that MK isn't worlds greatest front man. I still appriciate great show from other artists. It's just different category. His music for me is so fantastic, I can forgive him anything else he might lack, he is still perfect to me. It's like after he wrote all these songs, he can do anything and it's okay. I KNOW I am brunette, but if Mark would tell me "Hey, Envy, your hair is blue", I'd go: He wrote Telegraph Road, he is perfect and must ALWAYS be right, my hair must be blue, I don't care what my eyes see, I belive him.

Sorry if I seem to ramble, I am dead tired from work, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say :-)

Edit: If I misunderstood and you meant that the music itself doesn't have character, I think you are wrong. His songs are very recognizable, you hear Tina Turners Private Dancer, you can tell who wrote it.

envy_me
10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY&feature=related

Yount
10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I usually also like bands and people with character. But with Mark Knopfler, he has so much substance that attitude and character isn't needed. If you just peel off all nudity, atitude, stage act etc, how much of the worlds music can stand and still be fantastic. He is one of those who's songs are masterpieces and he really doesn't have to bother with all the shallow stuff..

But music is about taste, I am not trying to convince you to like this particular music, just explaining why, for me personally, doesn't matter that MK isn't worlds greatest front man. I still appriciate great show from other artists. It's just different category. His music for me is so fantastic, I can forgive him anything else he might lack, he is still perfect to me. It's like after he wrote all these songs, he can do anything and it's okay. I KNOW I am brunette, but if Mark would tell me "Hey, Envy, your hair is blue", I'd go: He wrote Telegraph Road, he is perfect and must ALWAYS be right, my hair must be blue, I don't care what my eyes see, I belive him.

Sorry if I seem to ramble, I am dead tired from work, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say :-)

Edit: If I misunderstood and you meant that the music itself doesn't have character, I think you are wrong. His songs are very recognizable, you hear Tina Turners Private Dancer, you can tell who wrote it.

OK now this I agree with.

Knopfer is a supreme songwriter.
I consider Dire Straits music for one, maybe two.
Mark painted on a totally different surface and for the band to crack through and succeed in the bizz certainly shows the muse had something.
You've gotta be in a select mood. "Walk of life" and "Twisting by the pool" can give the shits.

twonabomber
10-10-2012, 06:30 PM

not far from my dad's in Toledo

Yount
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Plus Knopfler has his tongue in his cheek too and a lot of his music is taking the piss.

My personal favourites (from studio albums):
- Down to the waterline
- Setting me up
- In the gallery
- Once upon a time in the West
- News
- Where do you think you're going?
- Tunnel of love
- Romeo & Juliet
- Solid rock
- All of Love Over Gold album (this is the one I would recommend first)
- Your latest trick
- Calling Elvis
- On every street
- When it comes to you
- Iron hand
- Ticket to heaven
- How long?

Nickdfresh
10-11-2012, 07:42 AM

In Northern Virginia, around Springfield and Alexandria actually.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-11-2012, 08:34 AM
In Northern Virginia, around Springfield and Alexandria actually.

It's in Springfield... Lived right down the road from there in the early '90's....

Von Halen
10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
He is talking about the only Telegraph road that matters. The one in Michigan.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-11-2012, 09:50 AM
He is talking about the only Telegraph road that matters. The one in Michigan.

I could give a fuck less, I was just responding to Nick..... :D

Von Halen
10-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I could give a fuck less, I was just responding to Nick..... :D

Me either. I don't really know which one he was talking about in the song!

envy_me
10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
He is talking about Detroit, Michigan :-)

binnie
10-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Well, people have different tastes as you say.

But to me, Dire Straits was the '80s equivalent of Coldplay: magnoila......................

FORD
10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Has anyone else here ever heard the demo tape that Dire Straits made before their first album. Seems that Mark was really trying to sound like Bob Dylan back then. I don't know if it was deliberately or not, but he seems to have grown out of it by the time Dire Straits actually started making records.

envy_me
10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Plus Knopfler has his tongue in his cheek too and a lot of his music is taking the piss.

My personal favourites (from studio albums):
- Down to the waterline
- Setting me up
- In the gallery
- Once upon a time in the West
- News
- Where do you think you're going?
- Tunnel of love
- Romeo & Juliet
- Solid rock
- All of Love Over Gold album (this is the one I would recommend first)
- Your latest trick
- Calling Elvis
- On every street
- When it comes to you
- Iron hand
- Ticket to heaven
- How long?

Amen!!!

DONNIEP
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Greatest Mark Knopfler song ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4SDhrTPOiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

envy_me
10-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Greatest Mark Knopfler song ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4SDhrTPOiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It wasn't very good or funny... :-/

Yount
10-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Has anyone else here ever heard the demo tape that Dire Straits made before their first album. Seems that Mark was really trying to sound like Bob Dylan back then. I don't know if it was deliberately or not, but he seems to have grown out of it by the time Dire Straits actually started making records.

I haven't heard it, but you've sparked my interest.

Mark Knopfler played guitar with Bob Dylan on his Infidels '84 LP, or was it Slow Train Coming '79? Maybe both.

DONNIEP
10-12-2012, 06:33 AM
It wasn't very good or funny... :-/

Are you sure about that? Because that's Mark playing the guitar and he loved the parody. Matter of fact he insisted on playing on the track.

envy_me
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Are you sure about that? Because that's Mark playing the guitar and he loved the parody. Matter of fact he insisted on playing on the track.

That song is kind of parody from the start. So parody of a parody? He could have at least chosen a song that Mark wrote with intention to be serious.

envy_me
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I haven't heard it, but you've sparked my interest.

Mark Knopfler played guitar with Bob Dylan on his Infidels '84 LP, or was it Slow Train Coming '79? Maybe both.

Same here, where can this be found?

ashstralia
10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
I saw the straits in '86 twice. Excellent crystal clear sound, but you could've put mannequins up there with instruments and no one would've noticed the difference...:)

DONNIEP
10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
That song is kind of parody from the start. So parody of a parody? He could have at least chosen a song that Mark wrote with intention to be serious.

Well that wouldn't be any fun, now would it? :)

Kristy
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
He is coming to town at the end of the month supporting Dylan. As for that new Dylan album...violent. Maybe Mark will ease the tension a little bit.

Nitro Express
10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Mark Knofler took the picking techniques used in country/western type music and applied it to rock and roll. He's not blasting the shit out of his amp and he's plucking them strings. Nothing really new but he did a different spin with it. Some of his songs are interesting.

envy_me
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Well that wouldn't be any fun, now would it? :)

I don't know... Maybe it's just a European thing :D

Yount
10-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I saw the straits in '86 twice. Excellent crystal clear sound, but you could've put mannequins up there with instruments and no one would've noticed the difference...:)

For sure, they are a studio band. I've heard some live stuff and seen the videos and they are much more fun with the headphones on staring at a still photograph.

envy_me
10-13-2012, 05:14 PM
For sure, they are a studio band. I've heard some live stuff and seen the videos and they are much more fun with the headphones on staring at a still photograph.

What also strucks me is that MK seemed so much happier and alive in the 80:ies. Now he just stands sings in kind of monotone voice, can't even smile. He NEVER smiles or changes facial expression now days. I hope that he is happy with his life. I am not saying he should do the splits or bring out elephants on stage, but just smile sometimes.

Since he is a genius, and I tend to idolize those to the extremes, he absolutely doesn't have to change. I just hope that he isn't as sad as he appears to be.
Now people are gonna say that he is old... Old people smile.

envy_me
10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Btw, earlier today I ordered

On every street
Alchemy CD
Alchemy DVD
Sultans of swing, Best of CD and DVD

:D

Kristy
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
My Knop favs (like it matters)

Song For Sonny Liston
Speedway At Nazareth
Hand In Hand
How Long?
Miss You Blues (from his BRAND NEW ALBUM! Yay!)
Once Upon A Time In The West
Cleaning My Gun
Twisting By The Pool
Skateaway
You Don't Know You're Born
One World
Right Now (that tune he did with Emmylou Harris)

Yeah, I can live with those selections and never tire of them