PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Radio Network AIR AMERICA In Deep Financial Crisis

Lqskdiver
06-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Liberal Radio Network AIR AMERICA In Deep Financial Crisis
Mon Jun 21 2004 11:20:16 ET

On March 30, the night before Air America went on the air, the liberal radio network threw itself a $70,000 party at Manhattan's hip Maritime Hotel. More than 1,000 guests, including Yoko Ono and Tim Robbins, drank red, white and blue vodka cocktails as they toasted the network's bid to challenge the dominance of conservative talk radio.

But behind the scenes, Air America was running out of money.

The WALL STREET JOURNAL reports on Monday: Several employees say they still haven't been reimbursed for the costs of attending the New York launch.
Many of Air America's investors and executives say they thought the network had raised more than $30 million, based on assurances from its owners, Guam-based entrepreneurs Evan M. Cohen and Rex Sorensen.

In fact, Air America had raised only $6 million, Mr. Cohen concedes. Within six weeks of the launch, those funds had been spent and the company owed creditors more than $2 million.
When the problems came to light, 'we realized that we had all been duped,' says David Goodfriend, the company's acting chief operating officer. Messrs.

Cohen and Sorensen say they didn't mislead anyone about the company's finances. They say they planned to invest more over time but didn't because of cultural differences with other managers.

Both resigned in early May. Five months before a presidential election, Air America should be on a roll. Instead, it's grappling with a financial crisis. Creditors are lined up at the door, and it is off the air in two big markets, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Developing...

Maybe Mel Gibson Should Have Been Flying This Plane! Wait, the guys a Republican...my bad! :D

FORD
06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
This issue should be of great concern to everyone, as the main problem here isn't the future of one "liberal" radio network, but rather the stranglehold that a handful of corporations have on the entire market to the point where no upstart radio can compete. Think this is just a "liberal" problem? I guarantee you that if Pat Buchanan, and other TRUE conservatives tried to start up their own radio network right now, it would meet the same hardships as AAR has. The corporate behemoths and the neocon shitbags who are their partners in fascism want to shut out ALL voices who disagree with them. Progressive, ceonservative, it doesn't matter. If it's not pro PNAC, they can't let it be heard.

And if you think that's a laughing matter, you'll love Junior's new mind control initiative (more on that later)

freak
06-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And if you think that's a laughing matter, you'll love Junior's new mind control initiative (more on that later)

Remember: Shiny side out. (http://www.dinnerunplugged.com/reynoldskitchens/kitchenconnection/products/reynolds_wrap/index.asp)

lucky wilbury
06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
i wonder how long it'll be till the rest of the rats abandoned the sinking ship?

good to see you back on the boards Lqskdiver. everything going well with the magazine?

freak
06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
i wonder how long it'll be till the rest of the rats abandoned the sinking ship?

good to see you back on the boards Lqskdiver. everything going well with the magazine?

They'll abandon as soon as they agree on a Vast-Right-Wing-Conspiracy theory to explain their failure.

John Ashcroft
06-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Interesting that Ford (or any other liberal for that matter) will never ever admit that their problems are that no one wants to listen to their bullshit. Face it, if liberalism were popular, advertising dollars would pour in and it'd be a force to reckon with. However, since it's not, it's proponents rely on public funding and/or legislation to get their "message" out.

Ever seriously wonder why no one listens to that crap Ford?

FORD
06-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft

Ever seriously wonder why no one listens to that crap Ford?

Few people CAN listen to it, because the corporate radio networks have total domination of most major radio markets. Technically, you can stream the feed through the Real One player (or better yet the Real Alternative) but even on a broadband connection, that's not always reliable.

Admittedly, it's tough to get advertising dollars for a network which can't be heard in 90% of the country.

Like I said, if this was a TRUE conservative network, they would be having the same problems in this neocon shitbag-corporatist controlled market. Would you want that network to survive? I would.

Cathedral
06-22-2004, 01:47 AM
THAT'S POLITICS FOR YA!!!

John Ashcroft
06-22-2004, 08:13 AM
How many stations did Limbaugh start with? I think it was something like 8 to start, and it moved up to 40 by the end of the first year. How many stations did Air "America" start on? I'm quite sure it was more than 40. Face it, it's the message of the program that's the problem, not some corporate conspiracy. Even liberals think it sucks.

FORD
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
How many stations did Limbaugh start with? I think it was something like 8 to start, and it moved up to 40 by the end of the first year. How many stations did Air "America" start on? I'm quite sure it was more than 40. Face it, it's the message of the program that's the problem, not some corporate conspiracy. Even liberals think it sucks.

When Mush started out, radio wasn't corporatized and consolidated into a handful of companies the way it is now. Therefore, it was a lot easier for him to pick up affiliates.

As far as the content of the programming on Air America, yeah, I would have to agree that most of it is far too tame and centrist leaning, rather than liberals.

The man who could save the network, if he had a radio show, is the same one who should be the next President of the United States.......http://www.alternet.org/graphics/story_lowrez/deanspeech.jpg

John Ashcroft
06-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Yet even your own party rejected him. Some "Savior"...

FORD
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Yet even your own party rejected him. Some "Savior"...

Better men than Howard Dean have been rejected by corrupt politiicans....

http://www.ewtn.com/art/jesus/ShepherdJesus_sm.jpg

Lqskdiver
06-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury

Good to be back, swinging the conservative mallet.

The magazine is floundering/floundered. Not due to the idea, mind you, but the fascism of the managing party. That one was for FORD.

Naa, I bailed...my partner in crime/editor began an ego trip that left everyone behind including the subscribers and writers. Bad decision making,heavily in debt and one year later, I dropped out and told him to fuck himself.

It was a damn good idea and garnered a lot of support. Unfortunately, I don't think he was ever up to the task. He was in it for the party and celebrity status.

Lqskdiver
06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Better men than Howard Dean have been rejected by corrupt politiicans....

http://www.ewtn.com/art/jesus/ShepherdJesus_sm.jpg

To compare Dean to the Savior shows just how "off kilter" your brand of idealogy is and will insure the re-election of W.

Just doesn't make any moral sense. Maybe THAT is why Bush wants sweeping mental health screenings. It's aimed for NUTBALLS like you!

jacksmar
06-22-2004, 11:06 AM
My imitation of Dr. Howard Dean…ahem….

First I’m gonna check your eyes, then I’m gonna check your ears, then I’m gonna check your mouth, then I’m gonna check your nose, then onto your tonsils, and your throat, then I’m gonna check your reflexes, and your pulse, then onto your blood pressure and your breathing, then I’m gonna check your
ASS…..HEEYEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.:D )

Lqskdiver
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
AIR AMERICA HITS SOUR RATINGS NOTE

By JOHN MAINELLI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/26172.htm

June 22, 2004 -- ENCOURAGING preliminary ratings for all-liberal Air America in New York have collapsed along with the fledgling radio network's finances.
An unofficial "extrapolation" of Arbitron data released last Friday — which Air America's hosts crowed about last month but virtually ignored yesterday — showed WLIB's ratings dropping back to their lowly levels before the net's April launch.

Arbitron cautions stations and advertisers not to read too much into this interim monthly data — but that didn't stop Air America star Al Franken from boasting last month that he'd beaten WABC's Rush Limbaugh among the 25- to 54-year-old listeners chased by radio advertisers.

Instead of ratings yesterday, Franken discussed a Wall Street Journal article that provided frightening details about alleged phantom finances — including purported promises of major backing from liberal moneybags Norman Lear and Larry David — that resulted in a near-complete shakeup of Air America's executive suite last month.

According to the article, many Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million — when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched.

"We have a new influx of cash coming up," said Franken, whose contract promises more than $1 million a year, according to the Journal.

"I am being paid now," he told listeners yesterday. "I've been paid for weeks."

Franken took issue with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly for interviewing a reporter last week who said Air America investors have been throwing money "down a rat hole."

"Fox News Channel lost $150 million in its first two years," Franken said. "That was a much bigger rathole than our rathole."

Air America president Jon Sinton, who declined comment through a spokesman yesterday, told The Post in April that it would be unfair to make too many judgments too soon.

"It takes a long time to develop a [talk radio] audience," Sinton said, echoing the sentiments of many talk radio experts. "This is a long-term project."

The lefty network, which hopes to counter the election-year influence of high-rated conservative talk radio, is still without affiliates in Los Angeles and Chicago after noisy disputes over station lease payments.

Except for New York's WLIB (1190 AM), its 15 affiliates are in medium to small markets.

Fox News Channel is owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post.

FORD
06-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
To compare Dean to the Savior shows just how "off kilter" your brand of idealogy is and will insure the re-election of W.

Just doesn't make any moral sense. Maybe THAT is why Bush wants sweeping mental health screenings. It's aimed for NUTBALLS like you!

I have never, and would never say that Howard Dean was the Son of God. However, aside from that, the story has similarities.

Jesus was crucified by the Pharisees and other sellout sycophantic Jews who refused to stand up to the Roman Empire.

Dean was "crucified" by the DLC and other sellout sycophantic "Democrats" who refused to stand up to the Bush Criminal Empire.

John Ashcroft
06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
AIR AMERICA HITS SOUR RATINGS NOTE

By JOHN MAINELLI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/26172.htm

June 22, 2004 -- ENCOURAGING preliminary ratings for all-liberal Air America in New York have collapsed along with the fledgling radio network's finances.
An unofficial "extrapolation" of Arbitron data released last Friday — which Air America's hosts crowed about last month but virtually ignored yesterday — showed WLIB's ratings dropping back to their lowly levels before the net's April launch.

Arbitron cautions stations and advertisers not to read too much into this interim monthly data — but that didn't stop Air America star Al Franken from boasting last month that he'd beaten WABC's Rush Limbaugh among the 25- to 54-year-old listeners chased by radio advertisers.

Instead of ratings yesterday, Franken discussed a Wall Street Journal article that provided frightening details about alleged phantom finances — including purported promises of major backing from liberal moneybags Norman Lear and Larry David — that resulted in a near-complete shakeup of Air America's executive suite last month.

According to the article, many Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million — when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched.

"We have a new influx of cash coming up," said Franken, whose contract promises more than $1 million a year, according to the Journal.

"I am being paid now," he told listeners yesterday. "I've been paid for weeks."

Franken took issue with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly for interviewing a reporter last week who said Air America investors have been throwing money "down a rat hole."

"Fox News Channel lost $150 million in its first two years," Franken said. "That was a much bigger rathole than our rathole."

Air America president Jon Sinton, who declined comment through a spokesman yesterday, told The Post in April that it would be unfair to make too many judgments too soon.

"It takes a long time to develop a [talk radio] audience," Sinton said, echoing the sentiments of many talk radio experts. "This is a long-term project."

The lefty network, which hopes to counter the election-year influence of high-rated conservative talk radio, is still without affiliates in Los Angeles and Chicago after noisy disputes over station lease payments.

Except for New York's WLIB (1190 AM), its 15 affiliates are in medium to small markets.

Fox News Channel is owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post.

Beat me to it dude! I was just going to post this. :D

FORD
06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
As if a Murdoch tabloid counts as a legit news source? :rolleyes:

Lqskdiver
06-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I have never, and would never say that Howard Dean was the Son of God. However, aside from that, the story has similarities.

Jesus was crucified by the Pharisees and other sellout sycophantic Jews who refused to stand up to the Roman Empire.

Dean was "crucified" by the DLC and other sellout sycophantic "Democrats" who refused to stand up to the Bush Criminal Empire.

Yeah, I agree the similarities are there. I just don't see a New Testament being written about the guy.

lucky wilbury
06-22-2004, 01:21 PM

The magazine is floundering/floundered. Not due to the idea, mind you, but the fascism of the managing party. That one was for FORD.

Naa, I bailed...my partner in crime/editor began an ego trip that left everyone behind including the subscribers and writers. Bad decision making,heavily in debt and one year later, I dropped out and told him to fuck himself.

It was a damn good idea and garnered a lot of support. Unfortunately, I don't think he was ever up to the task. He was in it for the party and celebrity status.

that sucks at least you gave a shot at it.

Lincoln
06-22-2004, 02:30 PM
The man who could save the network, if he had a radio show, is the same one who should be the next President of the United States.......http://www.alternet.org/graphics/story_lowrez/deanspeech.jpg

Maybe if the network was covering live broadcasts of pro wrestling.

knuckleboner
06-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Naa, I bailed...my partner in crime/editor began an ego trip that left everyone behind including the subscribers and writers. Bad decision making,heavily in debt and one year later, I dropped out and told him to ---- himself.

sorry to hear that, man. i did enjoy my subscription. so, if only for those couple of issues, i thank you!

as for the radio...part of what made rush successful was that he was a character. right to some. and completly nuts to others. but a good deal of those people still tuned into him to see what he was doing.

to be honest, crazy, screaming dean probably COULD help the ratings...

Viking
06-22-2004, 08:02 PM
I was firm in my conviction that Err Amerika would tank, but those incompetent fucks flew it into the ground so fast, I got dizzy watching it crash...... :D

freak
06-22-2004, 09:02 PM

The problem with liberal radio is not with the messengers. It's with the message, itself.

Consumers. You know...people who buy things. People that advertisers would like to reach.

They, by and large, think liberals are full of shit.

This is why successful liberal radio is a pipe dream.

Liberals will have to content themselves with the intellectual welfare program that is NPR.