PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving Is For Crazy People.....

Hardrock69
09-15-2012, 05:24 AM
One of my very best friends went skydiving today.

This (to me) was out of the blue. Suddenly her friend is posting on FB about how they are at the airfield.

Holy crap.

It is one of these outfits that offers a tandem skydive, and they will videotape you as you are falling out of the sky.

I admire her bravery.

But that is the sort of thing that I will never EVER do.

I will not go skydiving.
I will not go scuba diving.
I will not go bungee jumping.
I will not climb El Capitan without any ropes or mountaineering gear (or with ropes or gear).
I will not go play with grizzly bears, lions, tigers (oh my!) or any other dangerous carnivorous or poisonous beast with lotsa sharp teeth.

All you adrenaline-junkies with a death wish can do that shit.

vandeleur
09-15-2012, 06:37 AM
i dont see the point of jumping out of a perfectly good plane , in fact am not even sure i could do it if i wanted to.

DONNIEP
09-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Always wanted to do it but just never got around to it. These days I prefer to be on the ground.

envy_me
09-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I never wanted to do it. I don't even like roller coasters. I have only been on a roller coaster once, and never again.

Angel
09-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I would LOVE to go skydiving, but it's too damned expensive. It's definitely on my bucket list though!

BITEYOASS
09-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Shit, in the USMC my unit was always doing crazy shit like this on the weekend. Never did skydiving, but I did try some downhill snowboarding and cliff diving.

On a side note:

I'm......a.....SKYSCRAPER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=759BAdLmNr0

envy_me
09-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I would LOVE to go skydiving, but it's too damned expensive. It's definitely on my bucket list though!

Maybe they can give you a special price if you skip the parashoot ;-)

Hardrock69
09-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Do what my friend did. Try groupon.com. She is always checking out cool stuff to do just because she got a fantastic coupon from the site.

Nitro Express
09-16-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't enjoy jumping off of tall stuff. It's nothing I will ever do by myself. It's like golf. I never go golfing by myself, only when I'm with people that want to do that. I never jumped off a cliff or a dive platform and ever thought it was very fun. It does nothing for me. I'm just happy I didn't fuck up and hit the water at the wrong angle and feel the stinging pain.

Nitro Express
09-16-2012, 02:19 AM
I enjoy scuba diving but my wife can't do it. She can't equalize her ears. I've always been a very good natural diver. I was in Hawaii for two weeks and by the end of the vacation I got pretty good at free diving. I could go down pretty far.

Hardrock69
09-16-2012, 04:52 AM
I generally enjoy watching underwater stuff on cable. But there are all the usual dangerous creatures lurking around (not just sharks), and basically when you are out in or on the ocean, you are at it's mercy, and I would just prefer NOT to drown or have to deal with the denizens of the deep.

So I remain a landlubber.

envy_me
09-16-2012, 05:23 AM
I know too many people who have drowned by diving.

ashstralia
09-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Aahhh Hr, there are not many experiences better than a perfect buffeting by the ocean. The power of those waves also depends on the moon's position.

In the ocean is the most connected to the planet I've ever felt. You're immersed in it. Every molecule from primordial onwards is still there.

Hardrock69
09-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Oh I understand, Ash.... Don't get me wrong. I find the ocean fascinating. And probably due to that antedeluvian instinctual thang.

But by staying on land, the chances of me drowning or being attacked or bitten or stung by some marine animal are ZERO.

And I aim to keep it that way. ;)

envy_me
09-16-2012, 05:50 AM
I also love ocean. I LOVE it. I love swimming. I used to spend whole summers in Croatia. I love going on boats. It's just diving that scares me.
Hardrock, you should swim in Croatia, there are no dangerous or stingy animals in Adriatic sea.

ashstralia
09-16-2012, 06:16 AM
It's the old run over by a truck scenario..
I'm willing to risk a number of horrible deaths every time I enter the ocean.

envy_me
09-16-2012, 06:20 AM
I can die, but not by drowning. Or burning up.

Angel
09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
A guy at work is a sky-diving instructor. Hopefully I can afford a jump next year.

As for scuba diving....can't do it, problems with my ears. My brother has been diving since he was 13. He's an underwater photographer, and he's NUTS!!! He specializes in photographing micro-organisms. He often has to remain motionless and just float over his target until it comes out of hiding, so he doesn't dive with a buddy because they fuck up the shot. Wish I had some samples of his work I could show you, gorgeous stuff.

He took my mom on a trip a few years ago and they went in the cage so he could get shots of great white sharks.