PDA

View Full Version : AP Poll: Most Rate Reagan Over Clinton

lucky wilbury
06-21-2004, 06:19 PM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040621/D83BJN901.html

AP Poll: Most Rate Reagan Over Clinton

Jun 21, 3:48 PM (ET)

By WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Most Americans say that Ronald Reagan, who died this month, will be remembered as a better president than Bill Clinton, who is trying to improve his image with a new autobiography, according to an Associated Press poll.

Seven in 10 say history will judge Reagan superior, based on the survey conducted one week after the Republican icon's state funeral and nonstop media coverage focused not only on the ceremonies marking his death at age 93 but a lifetime of achievements from Hollywood to the White House.

Out of office just 3 1/2 years, Clinton recently returned to the limelight with a prime-time interview to publicize his memoir, "My Life," which goes on sale Tuesday. The expectation long before the 957-page book reached the stores was a tome that would provide insights into the sexual scandal with a White House intern and impeachment - the nadir of the Clinton presidency.

"I think Reagan will be remembered as the better president, just because of the kind of man he was," said Judy Humphrey, a 66-year-old retiree from Palmyra, N.Y. "I didn't have a lot of respect for Clinton because of his personal life, though he may have done some good things."

Some 83 percent of those questioned said they have a favorable view of Reagan as a person, according to the poll conducted for the AP by Ipsos-Public Affairs. The former president completed his two terms in office in 1988.

A majority of 53 percent said they have an unfavorable view of Clinton while 41 percent rated him favorably. In January, people were about evenly divided in their view of Clinton as a person.

Although stocks soared and the deficit fell during Clinton's tenure, many Americans associate the Democrat with the marital infidelity that nearly toppled his presidency, impeachment by the House and the Senate vote that saved him. Women were slightly more likely than men to have an unfavorable view.

"People give Clinton credit for the economy, but what happened in the White House was so morally reprehensible that people hold his personal behavior against him," said Robert Shapiro, a political science professor at Columbia University. "When people make the comparison, they see a big difference between the two men."

Reagan often gets credit for the end of the Cold War, even though former President George H.W. Bush was in office when the Soviet Union collapsed. The military buildup during Reagan's eight years and pressure on the Soviets are cited as contributing factors in the demise of the superpower.

Time also had a bearing on opinions. Reagan had been out of office for 16 years, long enough for some to forget the low points of his presidency - the Iran-contra scandal, budget deficits and the visit to the German military cemetery at Bitburg, where Nazi SS troops were buried.

"People's memory of the Clinton impeachment scandal is more vivid than a lot of what happened in the Reagan era, and with his funeral, people were more inclined to remember the positive," Shapiro said.

By a 2-to-1 margin, those surveyed said Reagan was more effective at communicating his ideas to the American people than Clinton. "Reagan has certain ideals and principles and he conveyed those ideas clearly," said Vid Kondratas, a 33-year-old, Springfield, Va., computer programmer who considers himself an independent. "People knew what Reagan stood for and what his principles were."

Clinton remains popular among Democrats and unpopular with Republicans while independents are slightly more inclined to view him negatively. In 2000 presidential election, Vice President Al Gore distanced himself from Clinton, in large part because of those perceptions. This year, Democrat John Kerry, who doesn't share the same ties Gore did, plans to have Clinton speak on the first day of the Democratic National Convention.

"Reagan had a lot of grandiose ideas, but Clinton just kind of told it like it was," said Ben Rivers, a 60-year-old independent from Orlando, Fla. "In years to come, I think people will realize that Clinton did better for his country than Reagan did."

Asked whether Reagan or the current president, George W. Bush, will be remembered as a better president, 76 percent said Reagan and 12 percent said Bush. Three-fourths of Republicans said Reagan, about the same margin as for Democrats and independents.

People were about evenly divided on whether Clinton or Bush will be remembered as the better president.

Republican Shannon Miller, of Dover, Ohio, said Bush would be more kindly remembered because "he hasn't had as many scandals."

Andrea Parron, of Harmony, R.I., a self-described "bleeding-heart Democrat," said given the choice of Clinton or Bush, "I'd take Clinton back in a heartbeat. But I would kick him in the groin so he could keep his mind on business."

The AP-Ipsos poll of 1,000 adults was taken June 18-20 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

---

On the Net:

Ipsos News Center: http://www.ipsos.com/ap

knuckleboner
06-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury

By WILL LESTER

"I think Reagan will be remembered as the better president, just because of the kind of man he was," said Judy Humphrey, a 66-year-old retiree from Palmyra, N.Y. "I didn't have a lot of respect for Clinton because of his personal life, though he may have done some good things."

i think reagan will be remembered for offering ketchup as a vegetable to kids...;)

freak
06-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
i think reagan will be remembered for offering ketchup as a vegetable to kids...;)

Hey. It's made from tomatoes.

Then again, tomatoes are technically a fruit....

Okay. The man could kick Communist ass but boy was he botanically challenged or what?

John Ashcroft
06-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040621/D83BJN901.html

By WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (AP)

...A majority of 53 percent said they have an unfavorable view of Clinton while 41 percent rated him favorably. In January, people were about evenly divided in their view of Clinton as a person.

...Although stocks soared and the deficit fell during Clinton's tenure, many Americans associate the Democrat with the marital infidelity that nearly toppled his presidency, impeachment by the House and the Senate vote that saved him...

...Time also had a bearing on opinions. Reagan had been out of office for 16 years, long enough for some to forget the low points of his presidency - the Iran-contra scandal, budget deficits and the visit to the German military cemetery at Bitburg, where Nazi SS troops were buried.

..."People's memory of the Clinton impeachment scandal is more vivid than a lot of what happened in the Reagan era, and with his funeral, people were more inclined to remember the positive," Shapiro said.

..."Reagan had a lot of grandiose ideas, but Clinton just kind of told it like it was," said Ben Rivers, a 60-year-old independent from Orlando, Fla. "In years to come, I think people will realize that Clinton did better for his country than Reagan did."

Andrea Parron, of Harmony, R.I., a self-described "bleeding-heart Democrat," said given the choice of Clinton or Bush, "I'd take Clinton back in a heartbeat. But I would kick him in the groin so he could keep his mind on business."

Nope, no liberal bias in the AP at all. :rolleyes:

Viking
06-22-2004, 07:59 PM
'Botanically challenged'? :D

Wayne L.
06-23-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't think it's too unusual that the late Ronald Reagan is rated better than Bill Clinton nowadays because Reagan looked like a president image wise along with defeating communism with his military spending while Clinton was too busy getting a blowjob from Monica, blaming everybody else except himself for his own stupidity & was too damn lazy to capture Osama Bin Laden when he had the chance.

John Ashcroft
06-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Ah, but he came closer than anyone else...

It's in the book.