PDA

View Full Version : Green Day Billie Joe freaks out at the I Heart Radio Music Festival

Carloscda
09-22-2012, 09:06 PM
And people slammed Eddie when his monitors keep f ing up!!

ashstralia
09-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Aaah... Good old corporate rebellion.

FORD
09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Can't blame the guy for getting pissed off if they cut his set to give more time to some prefabricated bubblegum bullshit like Beiber or Usher or whomever it was.

Like Green Day or not, at least they're an actual band that plays instruments, write songs, and doesn't need autotune bullshit to sing.

Nickdfresh
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
"I'm not Justin Beber you motherfuckers!" :biggrin:

Love Green Day...

BITEYOASS
09-22-2012, 11:00 PM
They picked the wrong festival IMO. Plus their new albums sucks donkey dick from what I've read.

ashstralia
09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I can't help thinking that was a promo stunt.

sadaist
09-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Aww how cute. They are trying so hard to be a real punk band.

Sorry guys, not buying it. You sold out a long time ago. Good music......just not punk.

FORD
09-23-2012, 12:07 AM
They picked the wrong festival IMO. Plus their new albums sucks donkey dick from what I've read.

Well, they have reversed the "rock opera" direction of the last 2 records, and gotten back to the basic three chord stuff that made them famous, if this is any indication....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmSyGjf6BA

Oddly enough, Mike Dirnt's looking a little like Duff McKagan these days......

FORD
09-23-2012, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_8C3Z1W_HI

Dan
09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Damn,Green Day Got Fucked Over Big Time.:(

Coyote
09-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Can't blame the guy for getting pissed off if they cut his set to give more time to some prefabricated bubblegum bullshit like Beiber or Usher or whomever it was.

Never would've thought Usher or Rihanna had that much material...

sadaist
09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Well, they have reversed the "rock opera" direction of the last 2 records, and gotten back to the basic three chord stuff that made them famous, if this is any indication....

For the record I dig Green Day. But I just haven't ever really seen them as true punk. Everyone that came after the surge has just been copying or trying to fit a mold that was built to perfection by the Sex Pistols, Misfits, Black Flag, etc. The reason I like Green Day a lot is because I'm not a fan of all that much punk "music" and Green Day has a way of making great melodies that groove. I've bought their albums, seen them live, and will continue to do so as I am able. They just ain't punk. lol

Side note - great commercial for Billies guitar. That fucking thing would not break HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Damn dude, buy cheaper guitars if you're gonna smash em up. Some Korean guitars break if you tighten the strings too much.

Side note 2 - The ending of Seinfeld with Green Day is about one of my favorite things ever.

and Van Halen is still better ;)

Fairwrning
09-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Piss poor rant but a great reason for it.I like Green Day..and do not consider it punk.

ELVIS
09-23-2012, 01:16 PM
That would make a good Gibson commercial...

:biggrin:

ThrillsNSpills
09-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy would have been cut.

binnie
09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Green Day are releasing 3 albums between now and January. That's quite a feat, even if they've always left me cold.

Hated the last record - very pretentious - but if you've been going for as long as they have you've been doing something right. In their case, it's providing a 'safe' way of rebelling for 14 year old kids, many of whom never get beyond Green Day, and others of whom use them as an 'entry level' into the glorious world of heavy music.

FORD
09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
For the record I dig Green Day. But I just haven't ever really seen them as true punk. Everyone that came after the surge has just been copying or trying to fit a mold that was built to perfection by the Sex Pistols, Misfits, Black Flag, etc. The reason I like Green Day a lot is because I'm not a fan of all that much punk "music" and Green Day has a way of making great melodies that groove. I've bought their albums, seen them live, and will continue to do so as I am able. They just ain't punk. lol

It's kinda hard to consider any band "punk" when they have made rock opera concept albums and headlined arena tours. But that's the roots of their sound. I always thought Green Day was like a perfect fusion of The Ramones, The Clash, and The Dickies, and even those three bands were at the more "commercial" end of the punk spectrum.

And I still think their second album "Kerplunk" (indie release, 1992) was the best thing they ever did.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTF4FolEHw

gbranton
09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Armstrong says sorry, I was wasted basically.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PEOPLE_BILLIE_JOE_ARMSTRONG?SITE=KTVK&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I've never heard a Green Day song I liked, by the way.

vandeleur
09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I kinda like the principle of greenday , they are the coverband I always wanted to watch . the tunes are the bastard child of stiff little fingers and the clash but never felt the need to buy any as I had the originals .
Tho I may have a snidey copy of warning somewhere .

DONNIEP
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Armstrong says sorry, I was wasted basically.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PEOPLE_BILLIE_JOE_ARMSTRONG?SITE=KTVK&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I guess he didn't understand the concept of crafting your buzz... The worst part about rehab is you can't drink beer anymore :biggrin:

Matt White
09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I kinda wonder if he actually smashed a vintage Les Paul Jr........................

If it was an Epiphone....it was staged....a $20,000 1950-some odd antique GIBSON would make me tend to make me think the dude is huffing paint thinner....

sadaist
09-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Aww really? Even this?

Fairwrning
09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
You cant apologize and call yourself " punk "..

fourthcoming
09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't blame the guy for freaking out or pretending to freak out or whatever......at least they play their instruments. They should probably pick their shows more carefully......I'm pretty sure there were never any festivals in the late 70's with The dead Boys, The Damned, Johnny Thunders and ABBA.........don't try to come off as punk and play with bubble gummers......furthermore, shouldn't people be throwing mud and dirt bombs at this guy whenever he plays? That being said....I didn't hate their first 2 records.

jhale667
09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Meh, if my set got cut for Usher's I'd be pissed too, drunk or not...

FORD
09-24-2012, 12:12 AM
......furthermore, shouldn't people be throwing mud and dirt bombs at this guy whenever he plays?

Nah, they stopped doing that, because he threw them back :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R6scQoIaGQ

gbranton
09-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Aww really? Even this?

Really. Even that clip from that show that I have never seen. Sorry.

sadaist
09-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Really. Even that clip from that show that I have never seen. Sorry.

Well, we all have different ears. Fuck, we can't even agree which VH song is best. Green Day is cool. Like Ford said, they actually play & sing unlike most the popular stuff. Refreshing to see a real band being popular

TJMKID
09-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Modern music is on life support close to full cardiac arrest. I predict by 2020 all music will be created on an iPhone.

But it's nice to see "real musicians" won't go quietly into that good night.

I can envision Dave launching this same exact rant if VH was being pushed offstage for a fucking black cunt like Usher.

And people slammed Eddie when his monitors keep f ing up!!

Nickdfresh
09-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Billy Joe in rehab:

Sep 23, 2012 5:12pm
Rocker Billie Joe Armstrong Getting Treatment for Substance Abuse After Public Meltdown

Billie Joe Armstrong, the front man of rock group Green Day, has entered treatment for substance abuse, according to a statement on the band’s website.

The announcement came two days after the rocker had a meltdown onstage at the iHeart Radio Music Festival in Las Vegas.

Armstrong became angry after the band was flashed a one-minute warning sign to wrap up the set on Friday. The front man stopped singing and delivered a profanity-laced tirade that was captured on a video that quickly went viral.

“You’re going to give me one [expletive] minute? You’ve go to be [expletive] kidding me,” he screamed. “It’s a [expletive] joke!”

When the one minute ran out, the “American Idiot” singer smashed his guitar on the stage.

“Let me show you what one one [expletive] minute [expletive] means!” he said before flipping the middle finger and walking off stage.

The band issued a statement apologizing for Armstrong’s outburst at the festival.

“We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas,” the statement said.

The band had to cancel some promotional appearances for their new album, “Uno,” which was due to be released Tuesday.

Earlier this month, the singer was admitted to the hospital in Italy, forcing the band to cancel a concert in Bologna.

His band mates, Tre Cool and Mike Dirnt, released a short video apologizing to their fans.

“We apologize profusely, you know, this is really unfortunate, but Billie got rushed to the hospital last night due to illness, and the doctors don’t think it’s a good idea for him to play today,” Dirnt says in the video.

“We’re beyond devastated and sad,” Cool adds, “Billie is extremely upset about it, and we’ll see you soon.”

Armstrong had reportedly been suffering from “gastric problems.” No further information has been released about his condition.

The rocker is set to debut on season 3 of NBC’s “The Voice” as a mentor on Christina Aguilera’s team.

ABC News’ (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/09/rocker-billie-joe-armstrong-getting-treatment-for-substance-abuse-after-public-meltdown/) Erin McLaughlin contributed to this report.

SilvioDante
09-24-2012, 06:01 AM
It's kinda hard to consider any band "punk" when they have made rock opera concept albums and headlined arena tours.]
... and made one of your albums into a Broadway musical.

Publicity stunt. Nothing onstage or in public happens by accident anymore. "Look at me with my Starbucks cup and millions of dollars! I am still a rebel! I may have sold my soul to Clear Channel, which is everything that is wrong with modern radio, for money and publicity but that doesn't mean I am not anti establishment!"

Make the now infamous "blower rants" seem pretty tame.

ashstralia
09-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Yep. The magic words, 'gone viral'... :biggrin:

Seshmeister
09-24-2012, 07:18 AM
The thing that really stands out about his tamtrum is that he keeps saying me, I and my not us, we or our.

Apparently that band is not a team, it's all about him.

Also the screen said 1 MINUTES???

He should have complained about that, it annoyed the hell out of me - sloppy as fuck coding.. :)

Seshmeister
09-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Yep. The magic words, 'gone viral'... :biggrin:

Less magic when preceded by 'There has been an accident at a research laboratory...' :)

ashstralia
09-24-2012, 07:26 AM
I love that will smith movie, with the dog and the mutants. :)

TJMKID
09-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Also the screen said 1 MINUTES???

He should have complained about that, it annoyed the hell out of me - sloppy as fuck coding.. :)

Another sign of the times.

In the glory days of Bill Gates you never would've seen that --- but today most programmers are skinny-jeans wearing cunties who develop one shitty app for the iPhone and think they're geniuses.

Unchainme
09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Modern music is on life support close to full cardiac arrest. I predict by 2020 all music will be created on an iPhone.

But it's nice to see "real musicians" won't go quietly into that good night.

I can envision Dave launching this same exact rant if VH was being pushed offstage for a fucking black cunt like Usher.

really? this fucking argument?

Mainstream radio bullshit is, that's correct, but I've been able to find a couple of groups that don't get airplay.

It's not dead. Clear Channel, MTV and their bullshit idea may try to kill it by making everyone maroon 5, but not everyone is going to go down that path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgAfs4FutI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwRdqzeLf0

It's kind of like complaining what's on network tv and not going to watch "Breaking Bad" or "Boardwalk Empire".

TJMKID
09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Bands like that are going nowhere if they're only distribution is a few thousands views on YouTube.

Record labels will keep signing acts like One Direction and Skrillex because they know 14 yr. old kids will actually pay for that shit on iTunes and buy the bloated concert tickets.

really? this fucking argument?

Mainstream radio bullshit is, that's correct, but I've been able to find a couple of groups that don't get airplay.

It's not dead. Clear Channel, MTV and their bullshit idea may try to kill it by making everyone maroon 5, but not everyone is going to go down that path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgAfs4FutI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwRdqzeLf0

It's kind of like complaining what's on network tv and not going to watch "Breaking Bad" or "Boardwalk Empire".

Unchainme
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Bands like that are going nowhere if they're only distribution is a few thousands views on YouTube.

Record labels will keep signing acts like One Direction and Skrillex because they know 14 yr. old kids will actually pay for that shit on iTunes and buy the bloated concert tickets.

Skrillex got popular because he hooked up with amazing dj deadmau5, who ran an indie label.

He's actual a former musician, and his stuff is okay if you're into that. Having a brother who's studying to become a music producer/dj he doesn't even remotely deserved to be tossed into that lot. I will argue that although he's the most popular musician of the electronic genre at the moment, he is by no means the best.

and if by "going nowhere" you mean "selling out shows and playing lollapaalozza" you'd be correct with that assumption.

TJMKID
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
and if by "going nowhere" you mean "selling out shows and playing lollapaalozza" you'd be correct with that assumption.

There's YouTube bands selling out 1200-seat theaters. If that's your measuring stick, they're wildly successful.

sadaist
09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I love that will smith movie, with the dog and the mutants. :)

I AM LEGEND

Fucking awesome flick. Let down of an ending. Even the alternate ending was a let down. Such a great story that I wanted more. And wanted a much different end. Will Smith was excellent in it. He really has some great acting chops. Been fun to watch him grow up from a funky little kid.

jhale667
09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
There was an alternate ending? And it was still a letdown like the regular one? Oh, and who else was bummed out when the dog died?

binnie
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
There was an alternate ending?

Yeah, the main mutant/alien takes off its head to reveal cousin Carlton, who then proceeds to do some goofy dancing to a Tom Jones song whilst Will Smith makes short jokes.

jhale667
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Don't play with my emotions, man!! :biggrin:

Unchainme
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I do find it funny Billie Joe flipped about playing this festival.

Did he not see whom was running it? did he not see the lineup?

This ain't Lollapaalooza, Coachella, Glastonberry, Bonaroo, T in the Park, Redding or Isle of Right. Fuck, it ain't even the Warped Tour.

When you see Bon Jovi, Linkin Park, Pink, and the other types that the fucking boring vanilla ass suits picked out, that should have been a red flag as to how this shit was going down.

I was also not expecting in the least bit for CLEAR CHANNEL to pick out a good concert lineup. They took some of the more safe acts in music, and yes, toss in Green Day for that too.

Also IHEARTRADIO itself is a fucking abomination, and their radio stations suck.

sadaist
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
There was an alternate ending? And it was still a letdown like the regular one? Oh, and who else was bummed out when the dog died?

Yeah. Dog scene was harsh. And yes, you can see the alternate ending here.....

Mr. Vengeance
09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Big rant just before a new album release? Nawwwwwwww

ELVIS
09-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Green who ??

ELVIS
09-26-2012, 07:51 AM
That dweeb kinda acts like Dave...:biggrin:

FORD
09-26-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMcN0yrMQJ4

Nickdfresh
09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
[Warner Bros.]

3 stars

Timing is everything.

Last Friday, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong was performing at some Las Vegas corporate shindig hosted by the insufferable Ryan Seacrest when, apparently, the seeming contradictions that have plagued Green Day ever since it hit platinum status reached the boiling point. Someone from the gig's corporate sponsor, Clear Channel, reportedly gave the "wrap it up" signal to Armstrong from the side of the stage. What followed was a beautiful expletive-ridden rant that included disparaging allusions to Justin Bieber and culminated in Armstrong smashing his guitar, storming off stage and entering rehab by Sunday afternoon. What a way to kick off the publicity run heralding the release of "Uno!," the first of three new Green Day albums set to drop before the holiday season.

Green Day issued a formal apology, but let's face it - the on-stage freak-out was the most punk rock thing the band has been associated with in more than a decade. The trio of Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tre Cool's two most recent albums have both been "concept albums," and of late, Green Day has been more often associated with Broadway musicals than with backyard beer blasts or sweaty club gigs. Both "American Idiot" and "21st Century Breakdown" made big drama out of minimal musical information, which may or may not be a stroke of genius, depending on your view of such matters. But punk rock? Perhaps in form, but certainly not in function.

"Uno!" ditches the concept album albatross, and with it, any further tendency among apparently deaf critics to compare Green Day albums to the Who's "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia," which was never fair to either band. It's a straight-up power-pop-punk affair that, aside from the occasional too shimmering and sanitized production, recalls the band's gloriously snotty "Dookie" album.

Green Day is a great live band, a Ramones for Generation MP3, and most of "Uno!" sounds like a great live band playing live in the studio, with a few overdubs and some sonic sweetening.

Armstrong sounds liberated by the fact that he doesn't have to dress up his insanely catchy melodies with "lyrics about important stuff." Instead, he sings about sex, alienation, dysfunctional families and narcissistic frustration. Hallelujah!

Most of the tempos are fast and feature ham-fisted, distorted barre chords in the Johnny Ramone tradition, a la opener "Nuclear Family," a super catchy slab of giddy nonsense."Stay the Night" sounds like the Raspberries and Sweet, only faster and nastier. "Kill the DJ" lightens up on the distorted guitars for a pure power-pop throw-down, replete with faux-ska chorus. "Sweet 16" suggests that the band is more than a little bit familiar with Cheap Trick's "Next Position Please" album.

This is Green Day doing what it does best - making lovably dumb punk rock for angry kids of all ages. Obviously, Armstrong is having a tough time reconciling his punk roots with his mega-platinum success. But he should take comfort in knowing that he and his bandmates have made a great pop-punk album against the odds.

- Jeff Miers The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120928/GUSTO/120929064/1031)