PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years From Now....

Hardrock69
09-27-2012, 05:13 AM
All our favorite bands from the 60s, 70s, and many of them from the 80s will be too old to tour anymore.

Friend of mine and I were having a discussion about this yesterday.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, VH, Slayer, The Stones, what's left of The Who......

All the great rock bands who were the first ones to play arenas and stadiums in the first 2 1/2 decades of what we call the modern touring industry......they will all be over 70 years old.....if you are some lame pussy like Rod Stewart, you can be the Tony Bennett of the Rock Generation and keep going until you are 80 or 85....but most rock bands, and seriously most metal bands, will hang it up before they hit 70....

They will only be around in our memories, and on our DVD players....

So go see them while you still can...

binnie
09-27-2012, 06:43 AM
I appreciate the sombre tone, and I share it.

But rock 'n' roll is in a weird nostalgia rut at the moment - partly because of changing musical trends, partly because the 'model' for approaching music and being in a band is so different in the internet age. But while we are in that nostalgia rut, there will not be the support for new bands to replace the old.

Radio has to start playing new shit, basically.

ashstralia
09-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Yeah, there's plenty of up and comings that will reinterpret and reinvent what a rock show should look like. I could name 5 bands that should be huge in a few years. We get input into this, by supporting them or not.

What's the collective age of the Rolling Stones, again? :biggrin:

ZahZoo
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
All our favorite bands from the 60s, 70s, and many of them from the 80s will be too old to tour anymore.

They will only be around in our memories, and on our DVD players....

So go see them while you still can...

Welcome to the world of Jimi Hendrix & SRV fans...

Don't sit around worrying about this though... in 10 years you'll be older too and won't give a shit. I'll be pushin mid-60's in 10 years... doubt I'll be all that motivated to go crowd into a packed arena with 10,000 drunk assholes for a 2 hour party!!

sadaist
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting to think about. I was thinking along same lines last week. The FIRST rock musicians are just now getting old. We have never ever seen hard rock/metal people die of old age. Just because the music hasn't been around long enough for them to get there. But it's coming fast. One thing about when they die young is they stay forever young. It's gonna be really weird seeing some rocker in his 80's giving an interview.

ZahZoo
09-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Interesting to think about. I was thinking along same lines last week. The FIRST rock musicians are just now getting old. We have never ever seen hard rock/metal people die of old age. Just because the music hasn't been around long enough for them to get there. But it's coming fast. One thing about when they die young is they stay forever young. It's gonna be really weird seeing some rocker in his 80's giving an interview.

Just hope that as they age and it starts showing they have the sense to loose the leather pants, spiked accessories and big hair... That's gonna be pathetic when those guys hit the golden years. Something I've found difficult to watch with Diamond Dave...

You look at BB King or even Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney... they look more or less normal at their age and dress the part. But then wild stage appearance wasn't part of their schtick... Take some of the rock/metal guys... they're going to have some major aging adjustments to make without looking ridiculous...

Angel
09-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Just hope that as they age and it starts showing they have the sense to loose the leather pants, spiked accessories and big hair... That's gonna be pathetic when those guys hit the golden years. Something I've found difficult to watch with Diamond Dave...

I'm so happy Dave got rid of the long scraggly bleach blonde hair. I was almost embarrassed for him on the Diamond Dave tour. I had to laugh at the casual fans this tour that were making comments asking where the long hair and the chaps are....

Dave's Bitch
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
It did take a while but Dave is there now.The image he has now reflect his personality well.Everyone has that funny old relative with a great sense of humour and crazy stories from younger days.

Zing!
09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
They can't all age like Keef. When he croaks will really be the end if an era...

Dave's Bitch
09-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't think he will ever die.In nuclear holocaust only two things will survive.Cockroaches and Keef ;)

twonabomber
09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
now may NOT be the time to go, especially if it's your first time seeing a legendary band. you may be seeing a band well past its prime and struggling to maintain a teeny piece of their past glory. then you'll come home from the show disappointed and tell everyone "they sucked."

wasn't it EVH who said "the longer the Stones go, the easier it gets for the rest of us?"

i kinda wonder if we will get another Stones tour. Charlie supposedly doesn't like to tour, Mick doesn't have a divorce or new baby to pay for...

FORD
09-28-2012, 11:38 AM
i kinda wonder if we will get another Stones tour. Charlie supposedly doesn't like to tour, Mick doesn't have a divorce or new baby to pay for...

If their 50th anniversary isn't enough reason for them to hit the road, then I doubt anything else would be. Sadly, it seems like the upcoming 4 shows (2 in London, 2 in NYC) is gonna be it for them. I'm hoping that the limited number of shows will be incentive to get Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on board for what will probably be the last Rolling Stones concerts ever. :(

And since there's no way in Hell I'm going to make those gigs, I'm hoping there's some pay-per-view or live streaming option, and that either way, Comca$t doesn't pick that day to be flaming assholes.

fraroc
09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Once classic rock officially becomes "retro" I have a feeling that people will start appricating it more. And also, I've noticed that rockers stay much younger at hear longer.

And besides, I wouldn't say 10 years from now, I'd say more like 20-25 years from now rock will officially die :(

Mr. Vengeance
09-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Honestly, I don't see any hope for music. Name one band that has come out in the last 15 years that will sit alongside all the other classic rock bands.

Sorry....it's over. Every now and then there's a spark, but how much autotune shit can we endure?

motherchicken
09-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Classic rock as a style can come back into popularity. Just like classic cars. Youngster buy the new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. Because they perform like new cars. If they came out without a/c, power steering, electric windows and door locks like most of your 60s muscle cars did they wouldn't sell. If you could get new bands to play new music in the old style then younger people would listen to it. Nowdays when I hear a remake of an old classic like "Bad Company" that sucks ass like the one from 5 Finger Death Punch I feel like puking. Or hear some douchebag fuck up some classic rock song on American Idol. I think there's still hope for classic rock.

fraroc
09-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Honestly, I don't see any hope for music. Name one band that has come out in the last 15 years that will sit alongside all the other classic rock bands.

Sorry....it's over. Every now and then there's a spark, but how much autotune shit can we endure?

No. It's not over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZ47h4fVTU
This fucking awesome song came out in 2010, and the band's only been around since 2001. Definetly a cross between AC/DC and Whitesnake.

Also, there were TONS of kids at the Motley Crue and Kiss concert I went to, even people my age.

Classic rock as a style can come back into popularity. Just like classic cars. Youngster buy the new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. Because they perform like new cars. If they came out without a/c, power steering, electric windows and door locks like most of your 60s muscle cars did they wouldn't sell. If you could get new bands to play new music in the old style then younger people would listen to it. Nowdays when I hear a remake of an old classic like "Bad Company" that sucks ass like the one from 5 Finger Death Punch I feel like puking. Or hear some douchebag fuck up some classic rock song on American Idol. I think there's still hope for classic rock.

I definetly think so too. Especially with the last thing you said about American Idol. Lets just say some kid sings "Lick It Up" by Kiss on live TV. Eventually kids would search the song on Youtube and their worlds will be blown open! "OMG THE ORIGINAL VERSION IS LIKE, SO MUCH BETTER!! I'M GONNA LISTEN TO MORE OF THEIR MUSIC!" Boom, instant Kiss fan.

Kids, they make me hate life and give me hope at the same time :)

78/84 guy
09-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Long live rock !! In many ways rock is dead. Sure there are some good new bands, but they can barely sell out a club even with good to fare album sales. Once the older guys are gone like Dave, Ed, Mick & Page or whoever, we have what ? U2 to carry the rock torch. YUK ! We will be in the Jazz catagory ! What once was. Shit Guns & Roses was the last band to make a real impact. That was 25 years ago !

Angel
09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Rock is not dead. There's still great bands, you just have to look for them.

78/84 guy
09-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Rock is not dead. There's still great bands, you just have to look for them.

I meant on a big scale. Like Guns did. Shinedown has something like 12 number one song's and can hardly fill a 3000 seat building. I love alot of new bands and songs but it's getting slim out there.

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 02:22 AM
The problem I have with new bands are I can't tell one from another. The singers sound the same, the songs sound the same. I don't care for Maroon 5 but at least I can say that's them when I hear them. Even Scott Stapp had a unique voice. Nickleback, Shinedown, Three Days Grace all sound the same to me. Lame.

gbranton
09-30-2012, 03:01 AM
I don't think he will ever die.In nuclear holocaust only two things will survive.Cockroaches and Keef ;)

I don't have a problem with that, I don't want to live in a world with no Human Riff.

fraroc
09-30-2012, 09:44 AM
I meant on a big scale. Like Guns did. Shinedown has something like 12 number one song's and can hardly fill a 3000 seat building. I love alot of new bands and songs but it's getting slim out there.

Good classic hard rock is still being written and preformed by awesome new bands, but unfortunatly those bands are given little to no attention from the mainstream media. The Treatment and Airborne are both great new hard-rock bands, with musicianship and showmanship like AC/DC, Van Halen, Whitesnake or Iron Maiden. But very few people have ever heard of them, you know why? they are so fucked over by all of the producers, tour managers who promote shit like Justin Beaver, Nicki Minaj, and Lil Wayne that basically tell these young, talented people"Guitar music is dead, get some swag, and an autotune machine." or the few that like rock that say
"Your musical style is so outdated, [to the lead singer] you're supposed to sound deep, droning and whiny [to the guitarist] you're supposed to use so much distortion that it dosen't even SOUND like a musical instrument anymore."

And as a result, they are fucked over out of millions of young fans chanting their name, and the chance to keep hard rock alive.

FORD
09-30-2012, 01:37 PM
No. It's not over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZ47h4fVTU
This fucking awesome song came out in 2010, and the band's only been around since 2001. Definetly a cross between AC/DC and Whitesnake.

Actually sounds more like "Back in Black" era Ac/DC meets "High & Dry" era Def Leppard to me. Not hearing Cheesesnake in there at all.... which is actually a good thing.

FORD
09-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Probably the most ironic thing about Airbourne is that the singer is trying to sound like Brian Johnson, but he looks like he could be Bon Scott's kid.

But if he is, I think his dad would approve of this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6ACCq-aIo

Mr. Vengeance
09-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I like Airbourne, but they are hardly bringing rock to the masses. No one is going to be mentioning them in the same breath as the Stones or AC/DC or any other classic bands in 15 years.

fraroc
09-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Actually sounds more like "Back in Black" era Ac/DC meets "High & Dry" era Def Leppard to me. Not hearing Cheesesnake in there at all.... which is actually a good thing.

I think you need to listen to more of Whitesnake's non-hits. Is This Love and Still Of The Night are good songs but very overproduced.

Slip Of The Tounge is one of the most killer songs I have ever heard.