PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Motors Launches Revolutionary Supercharger Enabling Free Long Distance Travel

Hardrock69
09-29-2012, 12:47 AM
http://theintelhub.com/2012/09/25/tesla-motors-launches-revolutionary-supercharger-enabling-free-long-distance-travel/

By JG Vibes
theintelhub.com
September 25, 2012

Today Tesla Motors unveiled its highly anticipated Supercharger network, which is said to make long distance travel in cars totally free thanks to the use of solar energy and electricity. So far the network is made up of six Supercharger stations stretching across California, as well as parts of Nevada and Arizona.

These stations will allow the Tesla Model S to recharge for free, and each charge is said to last for an extremely long distance. This is so groundbreaking because until now one of the major drawbacks to electric cars was their inability to travel long distances on a single charge.

The charging centers that have opened so far are just the first of many, the company plans to install Superchargers in high traffic corridors across the United States, enabling fast, purely electric travel from Vancouver to San Diego, Miami to Montreal and Los Angeles to New York, all by next year.

By 2015, Tesla Motors plans to create more than 100 charging stations across the United States, while also branching out into Europe and Asia.

The Supercharging stations will be twice as fast as any now in use and will be installed at highway rest stops.

The rooftop canopy at many of the charging stations will carry a solar array that will place more electricity onto the local power grid, over time, than the cars use. For an undisclosed price there will also be home charging stations that will make local driving more convenient.

Elon Musk, Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO said in a press release ”Tesla’s Supercharger network is a game changer for electric vehicles, providing long distance travel that has a level of convenience equivalent to gasoline cars for all practical purposes.

However, by making electric long distance travel at no cost, an impossibility for gasoline cars, Tesla is demonstrating just how fundamentally better electric transport can be. We are giving Model S the ability to drive almost anywhere for free on pure sunlight.”

It is only fitting for an achievement like this to come from an organization that took on the name of Tesla. Nikola Tesla was one of the greatest inventors in history and had actually discovered methods of harnessing free energy during his lifetime.

Since many of Tesla’s inventions were not politically feasible they were never invested in and were never able to truly be realized.

Today’s political climate is just as treacherous and controlled as it was in Tesla’s day, and there are many people out there who are fighting to suppress this sort of energy, so the development of these charging sites will be a very interesting thing to watch.

Already there has been talk of financial problems for the company, and it was in the news this month that Morgan Stanley basically controls their stock rating.

That in itself is another ironic twist, because Morgan Stanley can trace its roots to J.P Morgan, the investor who pulled his funding on Tesla when he realized the financial and political implications of a world with free energy.

Morgan Stanley has been kind to Tesla Motors so far but we all know that history has a tendency to repeat itself so that is another thing to look out for.

motherchicken
09-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Does it say how long it takes to recharge these cars? Twice as fast as what? Anybody know?

gbranton
09-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Ok.

And this is going to happen without me ever hearing a single word about it in Car and Driver, Road & Track or Autoweek.

Sure.

Whatever.

motherchicken
09-29-2012, 03:05 AM
They're gonna put these superchargers at highway rest stops? Anybody who's travel much in the last few years would know at least half the rest stops in almost every state and almost all the rest stops in Cali are closed half the freakin time. Is Tesla gonna pay to open them all up?

ZahZoo
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Hmmm if this is real... I think I'll consider the business opportunities for having a captive consumer base stuck at a charging station with time and money to kill.

ashstralia
09-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Top gear!

FORD
09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
According to Tesla's website (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/charging#/onthego)....

The Tesla Supercharger recharges Model S quickly. Super quickly. Superchargers are for refueling quickly on road trips. A Supercharger can charge about half the battery in 30 minutes. All Model S vehicles with the 85 kWh battery can use Superchargers as can properly equipped 60 kWh battery vehicles. Superchargers will be positioned at convenient locations along major interstates throughout the country.

It also says that a fully charged Tesla can go 300 miles before recharging. Now that sounds reasonable to me. Even on my hardcore driving roadtrips in the past, it's normal to drive for 5 hours and take a break to eat, piss, drink some liquids (especially if you're driving through desert states) and stretch your legs a bit.

Solar powered superchargers on the road is a huge step forward in making the all-electric car a viable option. Now if they could just get a home based solar and/or wind powered charger, Tesla would be selling millions of these.

FORD
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgk5-eB9oTY&hd=1

FORD
09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Ok.

And this is going to happen without me ever hearing a single word about it in Car and Driver, Road & Track or Autoweek.

Sure.

Whatever.

How about Motor Trend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUg-BZAR5ro&hd=1

DONNIEP
09-29-2012, 10:21 PM
It also says that a fully charged Tesla can go 300 miles before recharging. Now that sounds reasonable to me.

IF anyone could build an affordable car that could go even 150 miles without charging, I'd buy one next week. On the days I work in the office I drive about 120 miles. The key is affordability of the initial purchase and the long-term battery life. The rest of the car shouldn't be a problem as far as durability goes.

Hardrock69
09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, the thing is too, that gassing up in a normal car only takes what....10-15 minutes tops?

What if it takes 2 fucking hours to charge the thing even with these new chargers?

FORD
09-30-2012, 01:18 AM
IF anyone could build an affordable car that could go even 150 miles without charging, I'd buy one next week. On the days I work in the office I drive about 120 miles. The key is affordability of the initial purchase and the long-term battery life. The rest of the car shouldn't be a problem as far as durability goes.

The problem with new technology is that it always costs more initially, because it's usually not in mass production right away, not to mention the folks who insist on being "the first on their block to own one" end up paying for the privilege, and that's how the company pays off it's Research & Development expenses. (Remember when CD's first came out in 1983, were nearly impossible to find, and cost $30 if you could find one?)

The Tesla Roadster - their first model, and more of a sports car design - was priced at around $200 K. The Model S (the car shown above) starts at $49K, so it's not exactly cheap just yet, but hopefully that price might still drop if Tesla sells enough of them to build more production facilities. This company would be a natural to get local, state, and federal government for motor pools & agency vehicles. So I wouldn't be surprised if the price point continues to drop.

And of course there's also the long term cost ratio, if you could use solar and/or wind to charge the thing, or even have to plug it into the regular old power grid at home, it's cheaper than gas, and with no burning oil and much less maintenance required compared to a petroleum burning engine, the cost evens out eventually.

If Tesla plays this right they could succeed where other car companies - even giants like GM - have so far failed. And since they don't have an oil burning division to compete with, there's no conflict of interest in doing so.

twonabomber
09-30-2012, 01:42 AM
the Toyota/GM joint venture was able to turn out an average of 6,000 vehicles per week out of that plant. Tesla has room to grow before they need another facility.

i think local departments (think county health departments, meter readers etc) would be better off with electric "city cars" like Nissan Leafs or the Mitsubishi one.

back in the 90's i worked across the street from the electric company's training facility. they parked their electric Ford Ranger there. the only time i saw it move was when it was on a flatbed, never under it's own power.

some states are looking at sponsorships and ads at roadside rest stops. maybe Tesla can get their chargers placed at some of those.

gbranton
09-30-2012, 02:20 AM
How about Motor Trend?

A monthly compendium of press releases, dispersed with undisguised ads, bound together by an often attractive cover. It is to automotive journalism what Nickelback is to heavy metal.

FORD
09-30-2012, 02:23 AM
A monthly compendium of press releases, dispersed with undisguised ads, bound together by an often attractive cover. It is to automotive journalism what Nickelback is to heavy metal.

Yeah, but isn't that pretty much what all magazines are anymore? :biggrin:

gbranton
09-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah, but isn't that pretty much what all magazines are anymore? :biggrin:

To some extent, yes. BUT Road & Track does feature the monthly writings of the best automotive writer who has ever lived, Peter Egan. Car and Driver lost their spiritual figurehead, David E. Davis last year and I have completely lost interest in it.

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 10:16 AM
They're gonna put these superchargers at highway rest stops? Anybody who's travel much in the last few years would know at least half the rest stops in almost every state and almost all the rest stops in Cali are closed half the freakin time. Is Tesla gonna pay to open them all up?

Why so mad about the rest stops? Can't get your secret queer man-love anymore, motherdicklickin'?

Angel
09-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Why so mad about the rest stops? Can't get your secret queer man-love anymore, motherdicklickin'?

You know, Nick, Chicken is right. This bashing every post he makes is getting rather old.

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Except for when he goes out of his way to bash other people in every post, then he claims it's all part of the game...check his sig...

Angel
09-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Except for when he goes out of his way to bash other people in every post, then he claims it's all part of the game...check his sig...

I have sigs turned off.

FORD
09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Rescuing this thread from the soiled sock hamper, and bringing it back on topic......

Another Tesla model, for the fans of "crossover psuedo-SUV" soccer-mom type vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURbzh9t0_0&hd=1

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
The fucking irony. OK kettle.

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Instead of building expensive cars that only the 1% can afford to cut down oil consumption and pollution how about building busses or trains using the same technoogy? Do you think the economy would improve if people could go from place to place and have money to spend once they get there?

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
The fucking irony. OK kettle.

Right, douchebag crybaby, bitch...

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Right, douchebag crybaby, bitch...
What are you 12? Grow up already.

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
What are you 12? Grow up already.

Fuck yourself. Am I twelve? Are you an obsessed dickbag that has like half a dozen aliases at this point? Am I twelve? Are you a 50-something with multiple troll accounts? High road my ass, loser.

FORD
09-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Stuff a sock in it, or stuff it in a sock :sockfucker:

Most important goddamn technological achievement in decades and you have to shit all over it with your bullshit. Go die in a laundromat fire.

Now back on topic..... AGAIN........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLOpuXNrBmI

FORD
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Instead of building expensive cars that only the 1% can afford to cut down oil consumption and pollution how about building busses or trains using the same technoogy? Do you think the economy would improve if people could go from place to place and have money to spend once they get there?

Talk to the right wing KOCHsuckers that YOU vote for about that. They're the ones who are always blocking high speed rail, light rail, or anything of that nature.

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Fuck yourself. Am I twelve? Are you an obsessed dickbag that has like half a dozen aliases at this point? Am I twelve? Are you a 50-something with multiple troll accounts? High road my ass, loser.
I'll respond to you and Ford here to cut back on the waste of space. Fuck you. I'm not gonna take the blame because you cunts think you're king shit around here. I don't give a fuck you many times you bring up the aliases or the sockfucker shit. Nick's an asshole and you're a nutcase. Don't you have some bullshit BCE stories to spread?

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I'll respond to you and Ford here to cut back on the waste of space. Fuck you. I'm not gonna take the blame because you cunts think you're king shit around here. I don't give a fuck you many times you bring up the aliases or the sockfucker shit. Nick's an asshole and you're a nutcase. Don't you have some bullshit BCE stories to spread?

My, someone is so angry...

FORD
09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
My, someone is so angry...

Rumor is his latest "girl" dumped him and ran off with some argyle bastard :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1bgEfonc9c

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Here's another one for two. Red Forman should pay you a visit and puts his foot (and sock) up your ass. Maybe he already has. You seem to have socks on your brain. Up your ass was the nearest entry point.

FORD
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Why are you obsessed with my ass, footware rapist? :headlights:

Can you just use the "N" word or post a picture of a naked dude you lust after so your mentally ill psychotic self can be banned already, and this goddamn annoying threadjacking can stop??

FORD
09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Now, as I was saying.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW_bYEPqcpU

(this clip's a little older, but still more interesting than sockthreadjacking)

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Can you just use the "N" word or post a picture of a naked dude you lust after so your mentally ill psychotic self can be banned already, and this goddamn annoying threadjacking can stop??
Why not do what you usually do? Move the posts that offend you and add some witty title. If you want to stop the threadjacking do it by example.

FORD
09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9qYfXltqE

Nickdfresh
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM

And obsessed with reststops? :019:

He can't figure out code, bro...

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 10:12 PM
And obsessed with reststops?
When did rest stops become one word? Before you mentioned it I thought rest stops were for resting, taking a leak or dump or both, walking the dog, changing drivers etc. I didn't know they were for picking up dates. Must be an east coast thing.

Satan
11-13-2012, 11:06 PM

Satan
11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1301_2013_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_tesla_model_ s/

Nitro Express
11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Electric cars will become used more and more. The weak point is still the batteries. They make the cars expensive and lose a lot of their efficiency in cold temperatures. Right now, they still are in the novelty item stage until they can get the battery prices down. They never will replace petroleum vehicles until they can get the cold weather problems figured out. There certainly will be a growing niche for them though.

78/84 guy
11-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Great band. The cars won't last as long !

Nitro Express
11-14-2012, 01:42 AM
A quality DC electric motor will last a very long time. The batteries won't last and that's a good percentage of the cost of the car. With an electric motor there is no need for a transmission and you even can make the hubs of the wheels motors. It's just that damn battery problem that's the weak link in the chain.

Kristy
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Looks like a watered-down Aston Martin.

ZahZoo
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not an engineer or architect, but I could play one on TV... I'm sure I missed a chapter or 3 somewhere in physics class along the way... but...

A thought I've had is why haven't we developed a very low or zero friction high output DC alternator or generator that can be powered by a separate electric motor. Then create a looped power system similar to today's auto electrical system where the battery is only drawn upon to start the thing running but continues to charge while it's on. Done right... you could run the thing virtually unlimited miles without stopping to charge. Could also be supplemented by forced air ducts on the front of the vehicle that drive air driven turbines that generate power and use composite solar cells on the roof for additional supplement during day time.

Battery life would still be limited like today's auto batteries... although I'd suspect some engineered obsolescence is in play today given battery life is geared toward replacement 3-5 or 7 years. Just to keep battery manufacturers in business...

FORD
12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/12/18/35338245_SS42_610x457.JPG

CNET Tech Car of the Year for 2012

Tech Car of the Year

2012 Tesla Model S
Our choice for CNET Tech Car of the Year goes to the 2012 Tesla Model S, a car that shows superb technology throughout while also challenging our conceptions of how a car should work. Most people know the Model S for its electric drivetrain, which not only gives it tremendous acceleration, but also the best range among current production electric cars. Compared to an internal combustion engine, the Tesla's electric motor delivers magnitudes of better energy efficiency. The EPA estimates the cost of electricity for a year of driving at $700, about 25 percent of the cost for gasoline in an equivalent luxury sedan.

Beyond its efficiency, the Model S modernizes the whole idea of a car's cabin. Tesla streamlined the entire process of getting into the car and setting off, taking out steps that have become anachronistic. A big touch screen handles all in-cabin functions, eliminating the need for an array of buttons across the dashboard. A 3G data connection feeds the infotainment functions, providing maps, destination search, and music, similar to what we have become used to with our personal electronics.

The Model S went up against the Audi S5, BMW 640i Gran Coupe, Ford Focus Electric, and Toyota Prius C, a formidable field nominated for technical excellence in drivetrain and cabin. The BMW proved popular with our jury, and we liked how the Focus Electric drove, but the Model S trumped the others with its innovative approach and capabilities.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57559913-48/2012-car-tech-awards-and-the-winner-is../

Hardrock69
12-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Tesla is the one. They are the fucking bleeding edge inovators in mass production of cars that run on electricity.

Kick fucking ass!

Nickdfresh
12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
It's a beautiful car...

ZahZoo
12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
I like the look of the gull-wing doors... I wonder at what speed you could get major air with the rear doors open..?

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2012/tesla0213/11736808-1-eng-US/TESLA0213_full_600.jpg

FORD
12-22-2012, 09:45 PM
For those of you who get the National Geographic channel, they have a Tesla episode of their "Mega Factories" series. Pretty damn cool.

If you don't get this channel, you can find the episode here (http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7945082/National.Geographic.Megafactories.Tesla.Model.S.PD TV.x264-TViLLA)

ELVIS
12-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Teslas are cool but still they still lack range in real world driving...

As soon as they make the batteries last about four times as long as the current batteries, electric cars will sell well...

One thing I've looked into is price per charge, and from what I've read it seems to be pretty cheap, even in California where electricity rates are double what most of the country pays...

Most people charge on less than ten dollars per day, except California of course, and New York...

DONNIEP
12-22-2012, 10:58 PM
The 300 mile range is good. I could drive that up to the mountains or to the beach, no problem. It's the charging when you get there that's the problem. Wonder what a hotel would say if you asked to plug in overnite? But I'd be able to drive back and forth to work for almost 3 days without charging. Of course I can't afford one anyway but I like the idea.

FORD
12-22-2012, 10:59 PM
The biggest problem with Tesla (or any other electric only car) at the moment is having charging stations convenient to plug in.

If it's true that you can drive 300 miles on a charge, then recharge within 20 minutes, that would be good enough for most people, who probably stop that often in any vehicle to eat/drink/shit/piss/gas up or whatever. Tesla is already working on this in the south west (probably California, Vegas, and maybe into Arizona to start with) and logically then it would move up the I-5 and US 101 corridors north into Washington, and probably across the border into Vancouver BC.

But this is the type of thing that should be part of a national infrastructure project, because Tesla charging stations are obviously going to be designed for Tesla cars, and as much as I like their products, the charging stations should exist for other electric cars as well (assuming they use different hardware to charge up. Admittedly, I haven't read up that much on some other EC models)

But even before all this infrastructure is active, provided you can plug this car in to electricity in your own garage, then it's an excellent vehicle for the local commute.

DONNIEP
12-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Definitely - the infrastructure needs to be put in place beginning now. It needs to be a national priority. But even now the X would be a great fit for most people. Especially somebody like me who hauls kids around a lot. Plus it's bad ass.

ELVIS
12-22-2012, 11:53 PM
A full 240volt charge on the $100,000, 300 mile range (flat land at 55mph) Model S takes about ten hours...

ELVIS
12-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Plus it's bad ass.

No it's not...

The technology is neat and it's a nice car, but electric cars have zero character...

twonabomber
12-23-2012, 01:05 AM
It's around 30 degrees here tonight. I'd like to see how long the batteries last while running the heat, defroster, and any other accessories.

FORD
05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-TDxSH3J4

FORD
05-26-2013, 04:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tycnxplKGHE

FORD
05-28-2013, 10:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5ll3Z7IpY

VAiN
05-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Ive seen 2 of the Model S on the road in the last couple of weeks.. nice looking car. Nothing too special about it, but it's a nice ride. Still in the exotic toy car category though.. A buddy bought stock in them a few years ago at $18 a share and now they're around $120 a share.. needless to say he's a happy motherfucker.

Sarge
05-29-2013, 12:19 PM
can't afford one!