PDA

View Full Version : Youngest and Last Western Detainee leaves Guantanamo

Angel
09-30-2012, 01:29 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/09/29/omar-khadr-repatriation.html?cmp=rss#storybody

Omar Khadr has been returned to Canada and is being held at a maximum-security prison in eastern Ontario, after spending a decade at a U.S.-run detention camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said Khadr, 26, left the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo early Saturday and arrived at Canadian Forces Base Trenton before being transferred to the Millhaven Institution in Bath, Ont., to serve the balance of his sentence for war crimes.

"Omar Khadr is a known supporter of the al-Qaeda terrorist network and a convicted terrorist," Toews said.

"I am satisfied the Correctional Service of Canada can administer Omar Khadr’s sentence in a manner which recognizes the serious nature of the crimes that he has committed and ensure the safety of Canadians is protected during incarceration.

"Any decisions related to his future will be determined by the independent Parole Board of Canada in accordance with Canadian law," Toews said.

Khadr received consular 'welfare' visit

Miami Herald reporter Carol Rosenberg told CBC News "it had become clear the repatriation was about to happen."

Rosenberg said Khadr recently got a consular "welfare" visit from a Canadian diplomatic official in advance of his return.

'It's obviously a huge day for Omar. He has been anxiously awaiting this day for over a decade'

—Brydie Bethell, Omar Khadr's Canadian co-counsel

Under a plea deal with prosecutors in October 2010, Khadr admitted to being responsible for the death of American Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer.

In exchange for that plea, he was promised he would be transferred to Canada to serve out the rest of his sentence.

He agreed to a sentence of eight years, with no credit for time served, with the first year spent in U.S. custody.

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 02:51 AM
I believe terrorists exist. I don't believe everything is a conspiracy and all accused terrorists are innocent victims of some plot they had no part of. And I damn sure have no simpathy for one that killed a U S serviceman but... This guy was locked up at 16 and confessed 8 years later in exchange for serving most of an 8 year sentence in a Canadian prison and leave Gitmo. Looks like that one year in U S custody was actually two. Is this cool with the Geneva Convention rules?

ZahZoo
09-30-2012, 10:52 AM
It was noted in a news piece on the radio that this guy will be eligible for parole in about a year from now under Canadian law...

He'll be back in the game and on the field of play in no time I'm sure... With the valuable training he's received in prison I'm sure he'll be more successful in his future ventures.

sadaist
09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I believe terrorists exist. I don't believe everything is a conspiracy and all accused terrorists are innocent victims of some plot they had no part of. And I damn sure have no simpathy for one that killed a U S serviceman but... This guy was locked up at 16 and confessed 8 years later in exchange for serving most of an 8 year sentence in a Canadian prison and leave Gitmo. Looks like that one year in U S custody was actually two. Is this cool with the Geneva Convention rules?

Yeah. Leave it to the same US govt that takes our taxes & decides how to "budget" it all to have some funny looking math.

Angel
09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
It was noted in a news piece on the radio that this guy will be eligible for parole in about a year from now under Canadian law...

He'll be back in the game and on the field of play in no time I'm sure... With the valuable training he's received in prison I'm sure he'll be more successful in his future ventures.

He'll be eligible for parole, doesn't mean he'll be granted it. Canada fucked up royally on this one. Omar was a child soldier, and should have been treated as one. No one really knows who threw that grenade, and he confessed to it after being abused by both Canadian and US interrogators. We had the golden opportunity to TRY to undo the damage that his fucked up family instilled into him. I can only imagine that now he thinks that his father and Osama were right about the West...

Only time will tell...

Angel
09-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah. Leave it to the same US govt that takes our taxes & decides how to "budget" it all to have some funny looking math.

You can't blame your government for this one. It lies directly on the shoulders of Stephen "Bush" Harper.

WACF
09-30-2012, 01:44 PM
You can't blame your government for this one. It lies directly on the shoulders of Stephen "Bush" Harper.

He was caught during the Liberal government's time in power...and they washed his hands of him.

Harper did not expedite it....Bob Rae is taking advantage of people's short term memory right now.

Remember the picture of Chretien getting his father released in Pakistan?
That family had us in their hands for a long time.

When he threw that grenade...by the UN's definition...he was not a child soldier anymore either.

Sad thing is he never stood a chance...brainwashed from an early age.

His whole family is fucked up.

A time line...

http://www.cp24.com/news/chronology-a-look-at-the-long-legal-odyssey-of-canadian-born-omar-khadr-1.976978

1975: Egypt-born Ahmed Said Khadr migrates to Canada, meets and marries Maha Elsamnah.

1985: Ahmen Said Khadr moves to Pakistan at the height of the Soviet war in Afghanistan, meets Osama bin Laden.

Sept. 19, 1986: Omar Khadr is born in Toronto, but lives with family in Pakistan until 1995.

1995: Khadr's father is arrested in connection with the bombing of the Egyptian embassy in Islamabad, but is freed after then-prime minister Jean Chretien raises the arrest with Pakistani counterpart Benazir Bhutto.

1996: After briefly returning to Canada, the family moves to Jalalabad in Taliban-controlled eastern Afghanistan, where they live in Osama bin Laden's compound.

1996: The Khadr brothers begin attending weapons training camps affiliated with the Taliban and bin Laden. The family makes annual trips to Canada to raise money and collect supplies.

October 2001: The U.S. begins military operations in Afghanistan in response to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

November 2001: The U.S.-backed Northern Alliance rebels chase the Taliban out of Kabul. Omar Khadr flees to his father's orphanage in Logar, Afghanistan.

June 2002: After training on AK-47s, Soviet PKs and rocket-propelled grenades, Khadr, 15, works as a translator for al-Qaida and conducts a surveillance mission.

July 27, 2002: Two Afghan government soldiers are killed and several U.S. troops sustain injuries as coalition forces move in on Khadr's compound. Khadr throws a grenade that kills U.S. Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer. Khadr is injured in the melee.

October 2002: Khadr is transferred to Guantanamo Bay.

February 2003: Investigators from the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) interview Khadr at Guantanamo.

March 2004: Khadr's grandmother, Fatmah Elsamnah, launches lawsuit against the Department of Foreign Affairs, alleging Ottawa failed to protect her grandson's rights as a Canadian. Elsamnah later launches a similar suit against U.S. authorities.

Aug. 10, 2005: A Federal Court judge says Canadian agencies, including CSIS, are violating Khadr's Charter rights by turning information gleaned in interviews over to U.S. investigators.

Nov. 7, 2005: The U.S. military charges Khadr with conspiracy, attempted murder and aiding the enemy in connection with the deadly 2002 skirmish that killed Speer.

Dec. 17, 2005: Khadr's eldest brother, Abdullah, is arrested in Toronto for allegedly acting as an al-Qaida go-between and supplying explosives.

February 2006: A U.S. civil court orders the Khadr family to pay $102 million to Speer's widow and a second soldier injured in the 2002 attack.

March 17, 2008: Khadr alleges that he was threatened with rape and violence by interrogators seeking to extract a confession.

May 23, 2008: The Supreme Court of Canada concludes that Canadian officials illegally shared information about Khadr with the U.S.

July 15, 2008: Khadr's defence counsel releases video of Khadr being interrogated by CSIS officials in 2003.

Aug. 14, 2009: Canada's Federal Court of Appeal upholds ruling that requires the Canadian government to press for Omar Khadr's return from Guantanamo Bay.

Oct. 7, 2009: Lt.-Cmdr. Bill Kuebler is officially dismissed from Khadr's legal defence team.

Jan. 29, 2010: Canada's Supreme Court overturns court orders requiring the Canadian government must try to repatriate Khadr, despite agreeing that Khadr's human rights are being violated.

April 29, 2010: Khadr's defence team rejects a plea-bargain offer from U.S. military prosecutors that would have forced him to serve his sentence in a U.S. prison.

July 7, 2010: Khadr tries to fire his three American lawyers, including a military court-appointed military lawyer, saying he has no chance at a fair trial. A judge later refuses to allow it.

July 12, 2010: Ottawa pledges to fight the ruling ordering it to remedy the breach of Khadr's constitutional rights.

Aug. 9, 2010: Khadr officially pleads not guilty to five war crimes charges, including murder, at a pre-trial hearing. Judge Col. Patrick Parrish rules Khadr's confessions will be admissible as evidence.

Oct. 25, 2010: Amid talk of an agreement, Khadr changes his plea to guilty on all five counts; gets opportunity to apply for a transfer to a Canadian prison after one year in a U.S. facility.

Oct. 26, 2010: Jurors scheduled to attend start of Khadr sentencing hearing.

Oct. 31, 2010: Jurors sentence Khadr to 40 years in prison for war crimes but a pre-trial deal limits the actual sentence to eight years.

May 26, 2011: The Convening Authority for Military Commissions rejects a clemency appeal filed by Khadr. The prisoner had appealed to have his sentence cut in half, arguing that improper testimony swayed the jury at his sentencing hearing.

Aug. 4, 2011: Khadr fires his longtime lawyers Dennis Edney and Nate Whitling and hires Toronto-based lawyers John Norris and Brydie Bethell.

April 2012: U.S. Defence Secretary Leon Panetta signs off on Khadr's transfer.

April 18, 2012: Ottawa receives an application from Khadr officially requesting a transfer to Canada from Guantanamo Bay.

July 13, 2012: Lawyers file a notice of application in the Federal Court to ask it to review why Canada was delaying Khadr's repatriation.

July 26, 2012: It's revealed that Khadr tried to plead guilty to terrorism charges in Canada for a speedy transfer home. The documents show that the 2008 proposal was rejected by the U.S. military.

Sept. 6, 2012: Ottawa is given videotapes and documents assessing Khadr's mental health by American military officials. The material includes an interview of Khadr by a psychiatrist.

Sept. 29, 2012: A U.S. military airplane brings Khadr back to Canada. He is transferred to the Millhaven Institution near Kingston.

Angel
09-30-2012, 01:55 PM
He was caught during the Liberal government's time in power...and they washed his hands of him.

We're talking about the fact that he was only supposed to spend one year of his sentence in US, but spent two. Harper should have had him back a year ago.

The Liberals fucked him over too, never said they didn't...

WACF
09-30-2012, 02:00 PM
We're talking about the fact that he was only supposed to spend one year of his sentence in US, but spent two. Harper should have had him back a year ago.

The Liberals fucked him over too, never said they didn't...

Yeah you did not...

Just irritated with our media....they sure don't fact check.

When Rae goes off on his selective memory I would love a reporter to correct them...they rarely do.

The thing to is I remember this well...the Libs did not care until they lost power...then it became a big issue for them.

Angel
09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
When he threw that grenade...by the UN's definition...he was not a child soldier anymore either.

BULLSHIT!! If that's the case then explain why, on October 27, 2010 did the UN representative on child soldiers, Radhika Coomaraswamy say Khadr is the "classic child soldier narrative: recruited by unscrupulous groups to undertake actions at the bidding of adults to fight battles they barely understand".

The UN considers him a child soldier, you better go tell them they're wrong.

Angel
09-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah you did not...

Just irritated with our media....they sure don't fact check.

When Rae goes off on his selective memory I would love a reporter to correct them...they rarely do.

The thing to is I remember this well...the Libs did not care until they lost power...then it became a big issue for them.

I didn't because we were discussing the plea agreement, which was in 2010. I have no idea what Rae is saying now, I'm at work.

I wrote to the Libs when they didn't try to get him out. They had the perfect opportunity to prove his father wrong and show compassion to that child. They should have fought for his return just as all other Western nations did for their own.

Canada fucked that kid up the ass, just like everyone else did...

motherchicken
09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
If true justice actually prevailed he would have been blown up by a grenade just like the guy he killed. But it should have happened right away.
If some 16 year old terrorist, thug, punk, gangster intentionally killed one of my friends or family or even some other innocent bastard on the street and I had a gun in my hands I wouldn't hesitate to blow his or hers fucking brains out. A soldier killing another soldier is one thing but that cocksucker wasn't a soldier. He was/is a terrorist. The process in this case is the issue. They arrested his ass, they should have charged and tried the fucker a lot sooner. Then shot him.

Angel
09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
If true justice actually prevailed he would have been blown up by a grenade just like the guy he killed. But it should have happened right away.
If some 16 year old terrorist, thug, punk, gangster intentionally killed one of my friends or family or even some other innocent bastard on the street and I had a gun in my hands I wouldn't hesitate to blow his or hers fucking brains out. A soldier killing another soldier is one thing but that cocksucker wasn't a soldier. He was/is a terrorist. The process in this case is the issue. They arrested his ass, they should have charged and tried the fucker a lot sooner. Then shot him.

He wasn't any of those things. He was a child raised by Canada's worst parents. He was brainwashed by his parents, and if true justice prevailed Canada would have brought him home and given him the rehabilitation and re-integration into society that he needs.

Now we can only hope it isn't too late...

motherchicken
10-01-2012, 12:09 AM
He wasn't any of those things. He was a child raised by Canada's worst parents. He was brainwashed by his parents, and if true justice prevailed Canada would have brought him home and given him the rehabilitation and re-integration into society that he needs.

Sorry but I don't agree. I'm sure he knew right from wrong when he tossed that grenade. He chose wrong. You can't excuse someones behavior because they were brought up wrong. It's already too late for the soldier he killed.

Angel
10-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Sorry but I don't agree. I'm sure he knew right from wrong when he tossed that grenade. He chose wrong. You can't excuse someones behavior because they were brought up wrong. It's already too late for the soldier he killed.

For one thing, we still don't know if he threw that grenade. Just because he SAID he did, does not make it so. I'm guessing you don't know much about the Khadr family, or the circumstances, do you?

I highly doubt he knew right from wrong at the time (by our view), considering what he had been taught. Hell, if I was injured when soldiers stormed my home, I'd throw a grenade if I had one too. You have to consider PIE (person in environment) when it comes to shit like this. IMO, Khadr is no different than the Lost Boys from Sudan....

motherchicken
10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
For one thing, we still don't know if he threw that grenade. Just because he SAID he did, does not make it so. I'm guessing you don't know much about the Khadr family, or the circumstances, do you?

I highly doubt he knew right from wrong at the time (by our view), considering what he had been taught. Hell, if I was injured when soldiers stormed my home, I'd throw a grenade if I had one too. You have to consider PIE (person in environment) when it comes to shit like this. IMO, Khadr is no different than the Lost Boys from Sudan....
. As far as the possibility he's innocent and confessed out of necessity that's possible even probable. But if he is guilty my sympathy is with the dead guys family not him. Brainwashed or not I feel people have instinct regarding right or wrong. He chose wrong.

DONNIEP
10-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Don't you know? Everybody is innocent and there are no terrorists.

Satan
10-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Don't encourage the Sockfucker...... :sockfucker:

DONNIEP
10-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Dammit! I was just having fun! :biggrin:

Angel
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
. As far as the possibility he's innocent and confessed out of necessity that's possible even probable. But if he is guilty my sympathy is with the dead guys family not him. Brainwashed or not I feel people have instinct regarding right or wrong. He chose wrong.

Our "instinct" about right and wrong is dependent upon our socialization. If he did throw the grenade, it was out of pure survival instinct; however, how a half-dead blind kid was supposed to have thrown a grenade at someone is beyond me.

This kid's crime is having the last name "Khadr". The Supreme Court ruled that his charter rights had been violated by CSIS, and ordered Canada to bring him home. Your government have been pressuring ours for the last year to take him, and we kept stalling.

I don't like his family and I wish they'd never been granted citizenship. But they were, and he was born here. We're supposed to be leaders in human rights. Hell, we were instrumental in getting child soldiers acknowledged; yet we throw our own to the wolves.

I've read the transcript of his interview with the Pentagon psychiatrist. No doubt that kid was sexually abused in the Al Qaeda camps. I'm concerned that he still idolizes his father, and the damage that was done in Gitmo.

He should have been brought home 10 years ago...

ELVIS
10-02-2012, 11:02 AM
If he did throw the grenade, it was out of pure survival instinct

That's funny...

BigBadBrian
10-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Our "instinct" about right and wrong is dependent upon our socialization. If he did throw the grenade, it was out of pure survival instinct;

I'm not too familiar with this case, but everyone has a story of why they went bad. Cry me a river. You can't base a person's innocence or guilt on how he was brought up. There's Right and Wrong, period.

If he threw the grenade, off with his fucking head. :fighting0043: :popcorn:

Angel
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm not too familiar with this case, but everyone has a story of why they went bad. Cry me a river. You can't base a person's innocence or guilt on how he was brought up. There's Right and Wrong, period.

If he threw the grenade, off with his fucking head. :fighting0043: :popcorn:

There are hundreds of child soldiers that have committed far worse atrocities than Omar, if he did (and I don't believe he did). Why are they worthy of a 2nd chance and he isn't?

The main thing is that he's a Canadian citizen and this country not only did nothing to protect this citizen, but were found guilty of human rights abuse by the Supreme Court of Canada. Our government(s) are losing our Canadian values. :(

WACF
10-03-2012, 12:17 AM
There are hundreds of child soldiers that have committed far worse atrocities than Omar, if he did (and I don't believe he did). Why are they worthy of a 2nd chance and he isn't?

The main thing is that he's a Canadian citizen and this country not only did nothing to protect this citizen, but were found guilty of human rights abuse by the Supreme Court of Canada. Our government(s) are losing our Canadian values. :(

In many cases of child soldiers...they are threatened into killing...they are also given drugs.

Khadr was brainwashed from a very young age...as was his brother and sister who idolize him.

As far as Canadian values go...his brother was brought back to Canada after being wounded in the firefight that killed his father....our healthcare(one main reason they stay here sometimes) nursed him back to health.
If he was not in a wheel chair he would be back fighting...recently he was on the news defending using bombs to defend Islam.

His mother thinks him killing a medic looking for wounded Taliban was nothing...her words where "So what.".

He will not be in a very good environment at home.

He was at the compound to fight...the Army asked all women and children leave...he did not.

He was trained as a bomb maker and planted IEDs...he was fighting a war...against our allies and could have easily been Canadian troops involved.

I fully agree he was brainwashed...but I refuse to think he was stupid...he knew what he was doing.

WACF
10-03-2012, 12:21 AM
That's funny...

The firefight was over...he was wounded...he was going to go out with a bang.

Don't forget...he was going to earn his virgins.

He yelled obscenities at the troops and dared them to kill him.

The damage done to young kids by radicalized Religion is obscene.