PDA

View Full Version : The regular NFL thread

BigBadBrian
10-07-2012, 06:05 PM
The Packers have no defense, for the 3rd year in a row. Dom Capers needs to go, as well as a few other assistants. Mike McCarthy also needs to hand off play-calling duties to a real O Coord. Not sure if the current O Coord can handle the job.

BigBadBrian
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Merge this thread with the preseason one if you want. I just thought we needed a regular NFL thread without the word PRESEASON in it.

Nickdfresh
10-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Seattle DB to Brady: "F-You, bitch!" (not really, but Sherman trashes Brady after win).

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/five-elementary-schoolers-suffer-concussions-single-disturbing-massachusetts-192107913.html

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnanya/1912130390/

motherchicken
10-23-2012, 03:34 AM
During the Monday night game a field goal was blocked and the ball landed on the field of play and everybody acted like it was a bomb or something. Nobody wanted to touch it. The refs whistled the play over and the team that blocked the field goal took over on downs. Why wasn't it considered a live ball? The defense already touched it when they blocked the kick. What's the rule?

Bob_R
10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
There are several ways in which a field goal can turn into a live-ball situation. When this occurs, either side has the opportunity to gain control of the ball and run it into the opposing end zone. If the snap is mishandled and the ball is dropped, like most plays it becomes a live ball. The same is true if the kicked ball is blocked by the opposing team and does not go past the line of scrimmage. Finally, even if the field goal is blocked and the ball falls short of the uprights and is within bounds, it becomes a live ball if the opposing team touches it before the play is blown dead by the referee.

motherchicken
10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
There are several ways in which a field goal can turn into a live-ball situation. When this occurs, either side has the opportunity to gain control of the ball and run it into the opposing end zone. If the snap is mishandled and the ball is dropped, like most plays it becomes a live ball. The same is true if the kicked ball is blocked by the opposing team and does not go past the line of scrimmage. Finally, even if the field goal is blocked and the ball falls short of the uprights and is within bounds, it becomes a live ball if the opposing team touches it before the play is blown dead by the referee.
The ball would have been blocked by the defense. Are you saying the team that attempted to kick the feild goal would have to touch the ball after the block to make it a live ball? The kick was blocked by the defense but it landed between the line of scrimmage and the goal they were kicking towards. I would have assumed it was a live ball since the defense had touched it when it was blocked. Neither side attempted to pick it up and the play was whistled dead. The defending team took over at the line of scrimmage on downs. I'm still confused.

Bob_R
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
The ball would have been blocked by the defense. Are you saying the team that attempted to kick the feild goal would have to touch the ball after the block to make it a live ball? The kick was blocked by the defense but it landed between the line of scrimmage and the goal they were kicking towards. I would have assumed it was a live ball since the defense had touched it when it was blocked. Neither side attempted to pick it up and the play was whistled dead. The defending team took over at the line of scrimmage on downs. I'm still confused.

If the ball went past the line of scrimmage (forward) the defense stays away. If the ball goes behind the line of scrimmage (backwards) the defense can pick it up and run.

Nickdfresh
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Maybe this thread should be merged with the Preseason one (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?65008-NFL-2012-Free-Agency-Preseason-Thread/page3&p=1702607#post1702607) and retitled "2012 Season"? (of miserable Buffalo Bills failure)...

motherchicken
10-24-2012, 09:57 PM
If the ball went past the line of scrimmage (forward) the defense stays away. If the ball goes behind the line of scrimmage (backwards) the defense can pick it up and run.
It's amazing that that never came up before considering I'm a regular watcher of pro football and have been to many Rams and Raiders games. It makes sense the defense wouldn't pick it up because they could end up losing field position if they failed to advance the ball past the line of scrimmage. But I would think it would still be a live ball considering the defense had touched the ball. Oh well. I'll take your word on it. Nobody else I asked knew the rule any better than me.

motherchicken
10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Watching the Cowboys game yesterday I was thinking how overrated Romo is. In the second half he really showed me something. He might be an elite QB after all.

Nickdfresh
11-04-2012, 11:26 PM
ESPN Sports Segment Reveals Science Behind Tony Romo's Shittiness

November 2, 2012 | ISSUE 48•45
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/18/18610/16x9/635.jpg?3068
BRISTOL, CT—In an installment of the popular segment broadcast Thursday night, ESPN’s “Sport Science” attempted to investigate the natural phenomena surrounding Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo’s shittiness and provide conclusive explanations for why the Dallas veteran sucks so bad.

“We always want to highlight the athletes who perform on nearly superhuman levels,” “Sports Science” host John Brenkus said. “And really, nobody in sports presents a better case study of a player who spectacularly collapses under the pressure of a professional athletic stage than Tony Romo.”

The four-minute piece, which used high-tech motion sensors and accelerometers to measure the quarterback’s forced and ill-advised throws, revealed that Romo possesses the exceptional ability to fuck up in just 0.64 seconds. The segment also sought to explain the physics involved in Romo haphazardly chucking a perfect spiral directly into the hands of an opposing cornerback.

“We observed Romo missing 98 percent of our targets,” Brenkus said. “While studying the footage, we were able to determine that his capacity to make poor decisions in less than a second greatly influence why he’s so imprecise.”

“There’s not a quarterback in the NFL who can make a mistake as quickly as Romo,” Brenkus added.

The “Sports Science” broadcast confirmed that Romo’s numerous boneheaded meltdowns in clutch situations correspond to an abnormally terrible field of vision coupled with an unparalleled knack for sloppily throwing into double coverage.

In addition, the show used computer animations of Romo’s brain to simulate the precise slowness of neural firings required for the quarterback to stand in the pocket and take a sack instead of spotting an open receiver streaking down the sideline.

Physicist and local professor Dr. Charles Dunbar, who worked as a consultant on the “Sport Science” segment, confirmed that Romo has seemed to defy logic with his horrid play over the years. Analyzing tape of the Dallas quarterback throwing four interceptions to the Giants in week eight, Dunbar said he was intrigued by how the human body could be capable of such an utterly shitty performance.

“It was truly fascinating to scrutinize Romo’s pathetic struggles on the field,” Dunbar said. “We are finally starting to unravel the science behind the dumb shit tripping over his own feet and falling down well before the pass rushers arrive.”

“Those in the scientific community interested in studying piss poor quarterbacking truly couldn’t ask for a better subject,” Dunbar added.

The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/espn-sports-science-segment-reveals-physics-of-ton,30210/)

:)

BITEYOASS
11-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Dirty Birds are 8-0 MUHAHAHAHA!!! :first:

PETE'S BROTHER
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
:gulp:

Bob_R
01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
My predictions for Wildcard Weekend:

Texans
Packers
Ravens
Redskins

BigBadBrian
01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/01/05/0ap1000000122606.jpg

cadaverdog
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I got another rules question. It's first and ten on the offenses ten yard line. They throw an interception or fumble down field. The defense takes possession and returns the ball to the 15 but lose possession of the ball. Is it first and ten from the fifteen or second and five? Basically what I'm asking is if the downs and yards to go return to first and ten if you lose possession and regain it on the same play.

Nickdfresh
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I got another rules question. It's first and ten on the offenses ten yard line. They throw an interception or fumble down field. The defense takes possession and returns the ball to the 15 but lose possession of the ball. Is it first and ten from the fifteen or second and five? Basically what I'm asking is if the downs and yards to go return to first and ten if you lose possession and regain it on the same play.

It's first down and ten...

Nickdfresh
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/01/05/0ap1000000122606.jpg

I bet Clay Matthews celebrated by going out and getting some cock last night! He deserves it...

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I bet Clay Matthews celebrated by going out and getting some cock last night! He deserves it...

some fat head in his fathead den? :baaa:

Bob_R
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I was 3 out of 4 for Wildcard Weekend

My predictions for the Divisional Weekend games:

Denver
San Francisco
Atlanta
New England

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
dammit bob! :pullinghair:

Nickdfresh
01-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Seattle and Atlanta, what a game! WTF was Carroll doing letting the clock tick down to 44-sec. with three timeouts?!

Nickdfresh
01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, what a comeback so far. I bet Ford, Lounge, and Guitar Shark are pissing themselves over Atlanta's FG attempt!

DLR Bridge
01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
I dumped this game and started watching the Star Trek movie on FX. Holy excitement! Will Bryant do it?

Nickdfresh
01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Bryant nailed a 49 yarder!

Little Texan
01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Well, that was dumb!

lesfunk
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
go pats!

Little Texan
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Game ova! San Fran and Atlanta should be a good one next week.

DLR Bridge
01-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Well, that was dumb!

I'm assuming you meant me. Giants are out and that movie is actually pretty good. Damn, I hope the Pats get pasted.

Fairwrning
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
NEVER ice the kicker..bush league move for pro players..no reason to let him have 2 shots at it..

I am surprised at Niners winning so easily..Kapernack is just flat nasty..I have to go with them to meet Pats in Super bowl ..I had Packers playing NE

Fairwrning
01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Pats win this game over Houston by 20 pts or more

DLR Bridge
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Pats win this game over Houston by 20 pts or more

But how sick would the other way around be?

Fairwrning
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
But how sick would the other way around be?

Not impossible of course..But I just dont see it..But I didnt see Kapernick killing GB either

Fairwrning
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Great start except you cant settle for 3 there

Terry
01-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Bah!

I know every year my Seahawks are gonna blow it, yet it still sucks when they do!

However, better they blow it now than actually make it to the Superbowl and blow it there...again.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
eh, go niners, i guess..

mh5150
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/15/ry6yhyja.jpg

Green Manalishi
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Saturday's Baltimore Ravens / Denver Broncos game was just epic ! One of the best ever and I've been watching football a long time . Instant Classic ! Congrats to both teams after leaving it all on the field . Wow - hella great game !
Wishing the Baltimore Ravens success vs. The New England Patriots . I'm hoping that Ray Lewis will re-arrange Tom Bradys vertebra .

Little Texan
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Should be a couple of great games today....Im going with Pats and Niners in close games

mh5150
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/bezymajy.jpg

Kristy
01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Ha! How much I fucking HATE Brady and that whole New England smugness of Billadicklick I hope they pound your bird turds into the dirt.

Kristy
01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Should be a couple of great games today....Im going with Pats and Niners in close games

There's your (lame) Superbowl right there.

lesfunk
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
So do you think that God is happy that Ray Lewis keeps talking about him so much?

Kristy
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I've been to Baltimore. What a festering shithole. Especially Dundalk.

BITEYOASS
01-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Fuckin' eh Atlanta! I may as well just stick with the Lions.

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Im no Pats fan but I am so sick of Ray Lewis and his over dramatic bullshit..

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Ravens..wow..glad I didnt bet on this game

mh5150
01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Im no Pats fan but I am so sick of Ray Lewis and his over dramatic bullshit..

Looks.like 2 more weeks ......

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Ravens lucky that wasnt Ray Lewis trying to catch that

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Harbaugh vs Harbaugh....

Fairwrning
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Already Lewis shots on the sideline..I cant watch Sportscenter for 2 weeks now..

lesfunk
01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Jesus The Pats suck. I hope they die in a fire

Kristy
01-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Baltimore! Why in the hell does it have to be Baltimore?

Well the good news is there will be no Bono at the Superbowl

Jesus Christ
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM

Verily there will be no one there with any Dad-given musical talent.

We gave Beyonce good looks, but that wasn't enough for her. She wanted to pretend to sing too :(

So this is love
01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
What the fuck happened to the Patriots????......I didn't see the game.....FUCK Ray Lewis... I like Flacco but just hate Lewis......I'm all for Kopernick or whatever his name is.....Go 49ers!!

Jesus Christ
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Ray Lewis makes a point of thanking Me for every game his team wins, so I gotta like the guy. Though his Scripture quotes aren't always on point..... "No weapon formed against thee....." really had nothing to do with a football game.

mh5150
01-21-2013, 05:59 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/4asymyde.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Harbaugh vs Harbaugh....

the "bro-bowl" :019:

Nickdfresh
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Or Brady...

Nickdfresh
01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Ray Lewis makes a point of thanking Me for every game his team wins, so I gotta like the guy. Though his Scripture quotes aren't always on point..... "No weapon formed against thee....." really had nothing to do with a football game.

He also sent someone to you after being around them as they were stabbed to death...

Kristy
01-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Oh dear, that was lame.

mh5150
01-22-2013, 05:20 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/22/eja3uheq.jpg

mh5150
01-22-2013, 05:21 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/22/y7u5agu9.jpg

ashstralia
01-22-2013, 06:02 AM
aah, you guys are gonna make fun of our footy.

an orange peanut? for me?

mh5150
01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/23/jusetuja.jpg

mh5150
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Deer antler velvet is what they a saying. Same guy had same kind of story 2 years ago about Ray. Apparently the guy has Ray on tape asking a male stripper hoe to use this stuff.
Bullshit story

chefcraig
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Pretty thoughtful read out of Baltimore, by Mike Preston, regarding the Ray Lewis farewell tour...

Baltimore Sun-Mike Preston (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-super-bowl-0129-20130128,0,3897535,full.column)

Theatrical Ray Lewis shouldn't make himself the storyline this week

NEW ORLEANS

It's been nearly 12 years since Ray Lewis played in his only other Super Bowl, but he is still almost as big as the game.

There are multiple storylines here — the Harbaugh brothers, the two young guns at quarterback, San Francisco returning to glory — but none is bigger than Lewis' retirement.

The national and international media will descend upon Lewis this morning, and there will be the usual questions about his return from injury, stopping the Pistol offense and how his pending retirement has affected the team.

But there also will be questions about the double homicide case in Atlanta in 2000 and the recent comedy skit about him on "Saturday Night Live."

The skit about Lewis wasn't funny — it was hilarious. The painted face was perfect, and the detached retina was a nice touch. The part about the ascension to heaven was brilliant, and the "Squirrel Dance" at the end made your eyes water.

Lewis even laughed at himself, but I'm not sure he thought it was that funny privately.

"That's the second time that he's actually imitated me. I just thought it was hilarious," Lewis said. "Somebody sent it to me actually last night. When I saw it, I laughed so hard. I was in tears actually last night laughing about it. It's good to be able to joke about certain things. What I do is very serious, but for them to put it in a skit the way they did and for him to play it like he did is awesome."

But once your stomach stopped aching from laughter, it became sad because it showed what the rest of the country thinks about Baltimore's No. 1 sports hero.

Lewis' handlers or the Ravens public relations staff needs to get Lewis to tone down the theatrics a little. He also should answer questions about what happened in Atlanta.

The Atlanta case and his showmanship have become just as much of his legacy as the two NFL Defensive Player of the Year awards and 13 Pro Bowl appearances.

This is really nothing new.

Outside Baltimore, there is still scorn for Lewis because many believe he got off easy after pleading guilty to obstruction charges in Atlanta.

I have no problem with the outcome of the trial. Lewis went through the judicial process, was charged and was sentenced.

That's it.

I was also glad to see the Ravens pay Lewis a great tribute during his final home game against the Indianapolis Colts. He deserved to have a day and one more dance. The victory lap was a little extreme, but if Cal Ripken Jr. deserved a victory lap, so did Lewis.

But this crying, praying, quoting Scripture and dropping to his knees during the past two games has gone too far.

I believe Lewis is serious about his show of emotion. I will never question his commitment to Christianity or his love for God.

But I've watched Lewis for 17 years, and while he is the ultimate team guy, he is also the ultimate "I" guy. He loves his fellow players, but Ray Lewis loves him some Ray Lewis, which is why he talks about himself in the third person.

He likes the theater and loves to be a showman, but when is enough, enough?

Even within the past week, more Baltimore fans are being turned off by his behavior as the network cameras zoom in. Microphones and recorders collect his every word even though we're not sure what he is talking about at times.

It's funny and it's sad.

Instead, can't we see more of Joe Flacco, who is having a great postseason? How about Anquan Boldin, the unsung hero of the playoffs? Maybe there can be more stories and pictures about the offensive line, which has been the key to the Ravens' resurgence down the stretch.

Instead, we get Lewis in private moments that should remain that way. If the networks don't believe it, then just watch the skit from "SNL." Lewis is now on par with Sarah Palin.

He deserves better, but he can't turn himself off when the cameras' red lights are on.

Kristy
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Please let this be the end of Lewis and his sanctimonious camera whoring.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Please let this be the end of Lewis and his sanctimonious camera whoring.

till he gets a sportscasting job....

Kristy
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
till he gets a sportscasting job....

I seriously hope that does not happen. There is already a glut of rich and bored ex-NFL players who don't have clue one what they are doing behind a microphone.

mh5150
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Just snuck into Ray Lewis backyard while he is in NOLA
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/30/aragebug.jpg

Just sayin....