PDA

View Full Version : U.S. No Longer Protestant

Nickdfresh
10-09-2012, 11:13 AM
As Protestants decline, those with no religion gain
By Cathy Lynn Grossman, Kevin Kepple, Jeff Dionise, Joan Murphy and Tory Hargro, USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/08/nones-protestant-religion-pew/1618445/)

"Protestant" is no longer America's top religious umbrella brand. It's been rained out by the soaring number of 'Nones' -- people who claim no faith affiliation.
churchstorytwo

Protestants are no longer a majority in the USA
'Nones' are second only to Catholics as a category
One in five Americans (19.6%) are 'Nones'

9:55AM EST October 9. 2012 - For decades, if not centuries, America's top religious brand has been "Protestant." No more.

In the 1960s, two in three Americans called themselves Protestant. Now the Protestant group -- both evangelical and mainline -- has slid below the statistical waters, down to 48%, from 53% in 2007

Where did they go? Nowhere, actually. They didn't switch to a new religious brand, they just let go of any faith affiliation or label.

The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life released an analytic study today titled, Nones on the Rise, now that one in five Americans (19.6%) claim no religious identity.

This group, called "Nones," is now the nation's second-largest category only to Catholics, and outnumbers the top Protestant denomination, the Southern Baptists. The shift is a significant cultural, religious and even political change.

Count former Southern Baptist Chris Dees, 26, in this culture shift. He grew up Baptist in the most religious state in the USA: Mississippi.

By the time he went off to college for mechanical engineering, "I just couldn't make sense of it any more," Dees says. Now, he's a leader of the Secular Student Alliance chapter at Mississippi State and calls himself an atheist.

MORE: Nones on the Rise

Today, fueled by young adults like Dees, the Nones have leapt from 15.3% of U.S. adults in 2007, according to Pew studies.

One in three (32%) are under age 30 and unlikely to age into claiming a religion, says Pew Forum senior researcher Greg Smith. The new study points out that today's Millennials are more unaffiliated than any young generation ever has been when they were younger.

"The rise of the Nones is a milestone in a long-term trend," Smith says. "People's religious beliefs, and the religious groups they associate with, play an important role in shaping their worldviews, their outlook in life and certainly in politics and elections."

The study comes amid an election campaign where the Republican Party, placed Protestants on their presidential ticket for a century, has nominated a Mormon with a Catholic running mate.

Currently, the U.S. Supreme Court includes six Catholics and three Jews: Whoever wins in November may deal with naming a justice in the next four years.

Rev. Eileen Lindner, a Presbyterian pastor and editor of the Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches, observes, "We are still twice as likely to be affiliated with a religion than Europeans, but there is strong evidence that our religious institutions, as we configured them in past centuries, are playing a less significant role in American life."

Rev. Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptists Theological Seminary in Louisville, saw a welcome clarity in the report, even if he didn't like the new picture in focus.

"Today, there's no shame in saying you're an unbeliever, no cultural pressure to claim a religious affiliation, no matter how remote or loose," Mohler says. "This is a wake-up call. We have an incredible challenge ahead for committed Christians."

Wanda Melchert, whose great-grandparents helped found Vang Lutheran Church in rural North Dakota a century ago, sees her church about to shut its doors and become part of a local heritage museum. The congregation worships elsewhere now.

"Out here in the middle North Dakota, religion is still very important and families still teach their children. There's a strong faith base still here," she says. But when Melchert looks at the changing national picture of religion, she says, "we're praying about this. We feel there's a great need for people to turn back to God. When we lose that, it's dangerous for our country."

However, Rev. Martin Marty, a historian of religion and professor emeritus of the University of Chicago, says he wrote a book half a century ago on varieties of unbelief and has long thought that religious cohesion "has long been overstated."

Says Marty: "The difference is now we have names for groups like Nones."

Nickdfresh
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
The emerging social, political force: 'Nones'
Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAYShare
14 Comment
The big news about people with no religious identity, the Nones, isn't that they're No. 2 now in the USA, 19.6% and climbing. It's the diversity among these 46 million people.

9:51AM EST October 9. 2012 - Rebecca Cardone, 21, who grew up Methodist in Texas, is president of the student body at California Lutheran University.

But don't call her Protestant or even Christian. Cardone is one of the new "Nones" -- atheists, agnostics and folks like her who believe "nothing in particular."

"I like the ambiguity" of going without a label," she says. "I prefer to stress the importance of acting with compassion rather than choosing a predetermined system of beliefs."

The big news about people with no religious identity, the Nones, isn't that they're No. 2 now in the USA, 19.6% and climbing.

It's the diversity among these 46 million people, say experts in a new analysis by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, out Tuesday.

They're everyone. They're everywhere. They're gone and they're not coming back.

STUDY: As Protestants decline, those with no religion gain

Alan Cooperman, associate director of research for the Pew Forum, says, the increase in Nones is "among men and women, among those who don't have a college education as well as those who do. There's as much increase at the lower income level as at the higher. And it is changing all across the country. It's not only in urban areas or on the coasts."

It's the change of a lifetime. When today's Baby Boomers were under 30, about 15% were Nones. They still are today. Among the 32% of Millennials who are Nones now, few will return to the organized religion fold, Pew researchers say.

The Pew analysis drew on multiple Pew Forum surveys of 17,000 adults including a survey in July of 2,973 U.S. adults, and data from other major statistical sources including the biannual General Social Survey and Gallup. More than 950 interviews focused on the unaffiliated were conducted in conjunction with the PBS program Religion & Ethics Newsweekly.

Nones are still disproportionately young, white, male, liberal Democrats, but they're not dominated by atheists (2.4%) and agnostics (3.3%).

Instead, most, like Cardone, say they believe "nothing in particular" (13.9%) and they're still open to spirituality.

The study finds:

-- 68% believe at least somewhat in God or a higher power.

-- 41% say they pray.

-- 23% consider religion at least somewhat important in their life.

Claire Noelle Frost, 28, of Brooklyn, who coaches people on how to organizing and unclutter their lives, was once a Christian until she "let go of belief."

"There is so much I cannot prove. I'm not sure truth exists at all. Instead of 'I believe,' I say, 'maybe,' and 'who knows?' Frost says.

As an agnostic, Frost "embraces the sacred in all religions." At her commitment ceremony with her life partner, their interfaith celebrant wore a shawl adorned with symbols of all religions.

Frost may not be so very different from Christians. According to the Pew study, one in four of all surveyed -- Nones and believers alike -- say they believe in astrology and reincarnation. And 58% say they feel "a deep connection" with nature and the Earth.

The significant identity Nones do share is political.

-- One in four (24%) of all registered voters who say they are Democrats or Democratic-leaning are Nones. The percentage of GOP and GOP-leaning voters who are Nones rose from 9% in 2007 to 11% now.

-- Nones are now statistically tied with the white evangelicals (19%), but they are polar opposites on controversial social and political issues such as legal abortion and same-sex marriage.

-- Although Nones are overwhelmingly liberal on social issues, they're the same as everyone else on the 2012 campaign issue of the size of government: 50% of those affiliated with a religion and 52% of the Nones say they favor a smaller government offering fewer services.

Pew senior researcher Greg Smith says that Nones in 2008 voted as heavily Democratic (75% for Obama) as white evangelicals voted Republican (73% for McCain).

The major political impact of the Nones on election results is still to come, says political scientist John Green, director of the Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at University of Akron.

The Nones "don't vote as often and they are not as involved in political groups as the religiously committed," he says. Still, Green says, they "won't be inconsequential this year. In a tight election, they could be critical."

jhale667
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Gotta love that the populace is WAKING UP during our lifetime.

FORD
10-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Best illustration of the decline of Protestantism: The Supreme Court.

John Paul Stevens was the last Protestant Justice.

The current court is 6 Catholics and 3 Jews. Which is obviously NOT a proportional representation relative to the percentage of either religious affiliation in the overall population, of course.

I'm not sure where to put myself in terms of this article. As a recovering Baptist who still follows the teachings of JC, but doesn't have much use for organized (usually right wing) religion, I'm not sure if I'm still technically a Protestant or not. But I know I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.