PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
OK...saga time...

I have a van (shut up) and we recently got back from a week long extended vacation in Vegas, and we drove there and back without incident. About a week after we got back, we started having transmission problems and within about two weeks afterwards, I needed to take the van into the shop for a new transmission. Not cheap, but necessary.

So, I took the vehicle down to our local repair shop and dropped $3319.00 on a new transmission, parts, labor, everything. It took them approximately two days to do it.

I got the vehicle back, and it had a problem of lurching whenever I came to a complete stop (slowing to 1st and then braking fully). Wouldn't let up after several days of driving, and it wasn't a problem I was having before, so after a week or so, I took it back to the shop, figuring it needed a minor adjustment.

Got the vehicle back, and things were fine, except the lurching problem was still there. Called them back, told them things were still wrong with coming to a complete stop, and they said "Well, bring it back, it's under warranty."

So, for the second time, I bring it back. This time it takes them about three or four days to fix it, and when I get it back, they wax poetic about all the new parts and improvements they've done. Whatever; I just want to be able to drive my vehicle and give it two-three weeks for the computer to adjust to the new transmission and be ready to NOT go back anytime soon.

So, within two hours, it's lurching heavily between all the gears, lurching when I come to a complete stop and half the time, when you turn the key, the engine won't roll over and start at all. I call them back, tell them there are still problems, and explain what's going on - they tell me to bring it back because it's under warranty, they're going to fix the starting problem because it's part of the overall failure; I think, "OK, fair enough."

I take it back, get it back within a few days, and things are OK, but it's still lurching when it comes to a complete stop. Getting to be a repeat pattern. So I think, well, let's give it some time, but at least the rest of this crap's mostly resolved. So we drive out to Eastern Oregon to go visit my sister last weekend, and when we're going through the mountains right before Sisters, the check engine light comes on, it won't accelerate up into overdrive and we basically have to limp it the rest of the way and back home. The check engine light eventually goes off, but it's got zero power getting over the hills. In addition, that Monday, the engine goes into it's "I'm not gonna start" bit and my girl & kid end up stranded for a half an hour before it finally rolls over.

I take it back last Tuesday, tell them it's getting kinda old. They reply by replacing the entire transmission (or so they tell me) and test driving it for two days (or so they tell me) to make sure "Everything's 100% and this is the LAST time" I'd have to go back.

I get it back Friday night (they were already closed by the time I get off work, and I walk in the rain out to get it from the parking lot). I manage to drive across the street before I realize that, yes, there are STILL serious problems. The engine won't start again, and when it finally does, it's lurching through all the gears, and I manage to drive about ten minutes before the check engine light comes on and it won't shift out of 3rd gear. I get it home and decide that I'll attempt to limp it around town for the weekend and deal with it on Tuesday.

So, throughout the weekend, the check engine light goes off and it actually starts shifting fairly well, but it lurches at a complete stop and it shifts extremely hard between 1st & 2nd. I call them back on Saturday to keep them posted of the situation. They apologize (again). Tell me to bring it back (again). But this time, they tell me that the reason it isn't starting all the time is because the ignition switch is fucked, and I'll have to pay more in order to get it fixed. And it's also gotten to the point where, if it does start, now it won't entirely turn off every time without me shifting through the gears to make sure it's fully in park.

So, taking this narrative down to it's basic point, WTF???

This is going to be the FIFTH TIME I've had to take the vehicle back to them in order to get it "fixed", and I'm getting pretty sick of it. The warranty aspect is nice, but it's also completely flippin' useless if I have to take the damn thing back to them week after week after week after week....and now, all of a sudden, I have to make MORE repairs for something that hasn't been a problem up til now?

Needless to say, I'm a little put off.

Anybody have any idea about what kind of recourse I may have here? I spent, in good faith, $3300.00 expecting a good, clean, comprehensive, one time repair and while I fully expect that the onboard computer is going to need SOME time to adjust to a new transmission, all of these problems are FAR above and beyond what I ever would have reasonably anticipated. I'm getting to the point where I'm convinced that they're just utterly incapable of doing the work correctly and now I'm suspicious that they're actually CREATING new problems in an effort to keep me spending money there.

I'm at the point where I'd pretty much like to take the vehicle to another shop and get the work done elsewhere, but I'm not exactly made of money and can't really afford to just say "Eh, scratch this" and take another $3300 out of my finances.

Any thoughts?

VAiN
10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
It sounds like they put the wrong torque converter in there... do you have an itemized parts list of what went in there? Did they spec factory parts? You may want to do a little research and double check that it's all good. I'd be at my wits end if I were you. 3k is a shit ton to drop in one shot and not have things done correctly. I don't think the computer would take long to reset.. typically disconnecting the battery for a bit then letting it run for 20 min will reset things.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
year, make and model?

VAiN
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
year, make and model?

Yeah, that too...

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
1998 Town & Country Chrysler

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
1998 Town & Country Chrysler

oof :hee: v6?

Little Texan
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I would just bite the bullet and find another repair shop, because it sounds like you're either dealing with a bunch of crooks or complete idiots that don't know what the fuck they're doing. If you've taken it there 5 times already and they still haven't fixed the problem, chances are they are never going to fix it and they are going to keep taking more of your money until your bank account is empty. If you keep going back to that same shop, you'll be living in that van down by the river before too much longer.

binnie
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Damn, Bob, that's a lot of bank to drop. Is it worth taking it to another shop to get an opinion on the fault, and then going back to the old shop with the new information?

Little Texan
10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
The shop you took it to wouldn't happen to be a Ben Dover Car Care center, would it?

All kidding aside, for the kind of dough you spent on that van at that shop it should be running better than a new one.

DONNIEP
10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
If the check engine light is coming on I'd first run the van by Auto Zone or a similar parts place and have them scan it and see what code is kickin out. Most places will actually print it for you. Then you'll have at least an idea of what the van thinks is wrong with itself.

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing up til now, I'm just kinda getting tired of walking everywhere...especially in the rain...

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I'm considering tell them to take their parts back and just refund my money, labor and all, and just having it towed to another shop and getting the work done there. Not sure about how receptive they'd be to that, but of course that's what court's all about. Not even sure what sort of legal recourse there'd be, but I think I have a fairly reasonable expectation of quality repair work in under five visits, right?

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
oof :hee: v6?

It's actually been extremely reliable up til this point. As I said, we drove it to Vegas and back (about a 2000 mile trip, little better than) and didn't have any issues at all, and we bought it a year ago for $3000. Until now, we haven't had any real vehicle issues to deal with per se, other than things that would add up to routine (oil change, transmission service, etc). Even now, I can't honestly complain because the issue seems to be more with the shop than the vehicle.

And, for what it's worth, it's Meineke. I've actually been a long term customer of theirs for pretty much everything over the last five years and have had only one other complaint in that time, but maybe this was just out of their league.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
si, out of league it sounds like.

clarathecarrot
10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
They probably topped off your trans with 88 cents worth of trans fliud and charged you three grand.

But... they put too much in and blew the seals then they really fucked up by trying to adjust it with the computer or tightened the transmission belts to tight.

I would find someone else and demand my money back bring a witness and see what they say about money back.

I have bad concerns about the "Modern " auto mechanics abilities.

It isn't worth thier money to fix a part they just replace components large groups of parts and charge large money for 25 min work.

And I am also not a trustworthy type of guy due to my experience.

I would go the money back route and seek anothers help. If you have recipts it still may end up in court.

My favorite Dead Kennedys line ...see if I can remember...-Trust your mechanic to fix your car he tightens and loosens a few spare parts, one things fixed another falls apart...lol

Little Texan
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
It's actually been extremely reliable up til this point. As I said, we drove it to Vegas and back (about a 2000 mile trip, little better than) and didn't have any issues at all, and we bought it a year ago for $3000. Until now, we haven't had any real vehicle issues to deal with per se, other than things that would add up to routine (oil change, transmission service, etc). Even now, I can't honestly complain because the issue seems to be more with the shop than the vehicle.

And, for what it's worth, it's Meineke. I've actually been a long term customer of theirs for pretty much everything over the last five years and have had only one other complaint in that time, but maybe this was just out of their league.

Do you have an AAMCO Transmissions near where you live? I might give them a try if I were you. They specialize in transmissions, so chances are they would come closer to fixing the problem than Meineke.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
from my tranny guy (shut up)

1st, go elsewhere, then fight for pay/sue

2nd, the lurching could be low fluid or a bad trans. mount

3rd, the shift thru gears to park could just need cable adjusted

4th, the nostart could be crank sensor in bellhousing or the linkage gets bent up sometimes when they put it on the lift/jack

5th, 3-5 shift cycles is all the comp needs to "learn" the trans

sadaist
10-22-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a van (shut up)....

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Funny how you knew exactly what everyone would say just from those first 4 words.

sadaist
10-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Your best recourse is all of the return receipts you have. Take the vehicle to another shop & explain the entire situation & have them give you a quote. Then you take the quote back to the original shop & say.......this is what another shop says. You got 1 more shot to fix this. otherwise take them to small claims court to pay everything. The costs already out of pocket, the costs to have it repaired correctly, and maybe add in some lost work time, etc. Small claims you can't get personal damages, but you can get everything else. You can't take a lawyer in but neither can they. I think most states have caps at $10k so you should be fine. With all of your records (hopefully) it should be open/shut case for the judge.

Hopefully just taking in the new quote estimate & threatening them will fix the entire thing.

Such a pain in the ass though. All the extra hours totally wasted over some bullshit. Good luck man, hope it works out for you.

*You may even pay a lawyer like $100 to write up some type of demand letter or threat letter without actually paying for the attorneys services. just a 1 time letter to let the shop know you are serious.

sadaist
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd, the lurching could be low fluid or a bad trans. mount

Could also be the giant barrel of candy he keeps in the back of the van as bait is not centered correctly on the rear axle? ;)

qikgts
10-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Did you happen to pay any portion of the bill with a credit card? If so you may be able to dispute the charge.

DONNIEP
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I'd almost bet beer that it's throwing a shift solenoid code.

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Do you have an AAMCO Transmissions near where you live? I might give them a try if I were you. They specialize in transmissions, so chances are they would come closer to fixing the problem than Meineke.

Funny story, I actually went to AAMCO first, figured they'd be the best place to start, BUT...frankly, the guy working the counter was a complete asshole from jump street. Literally walked in the place and he looked at me and said "WHAT?". I explained my situation, he cut me off in the middle of talking and said he basically wasn't interested in taking me on as a new customer because he was "Too busy" (this being the door greeter, not the actual technician).

I asked if he could at least give me an estimate or something and he got all huffy and had the tech do it (at first, he wasn't going to, but I'd basically already decided I wasn't going to do anything with those people, regardless). During the test, he yelled at a customer over the phone, got huffy with a woman who came in with her daughter who couldn't have been more than four years old, and basically ignored me otherwise.

The mechanic got back from the drive, conferred with Mr. Wonderful and then he proceeds to tell me "Guess what dude? You need a new transmission. Big surprise, hunh?", just really being a prick.

I got in and drove back to Meineke.

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Did you happen to pay any portion of the bill with a credit card? If so you may be able to dispute the charge.

Oh, I thought ahead. I paid all of it with a card.

VAiN
10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Oh, I thought ahead. I paid all of it with a card.

Dispute that shit immediately.

twonabomber
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
ever been on the allpar.com forums?

http://www.allpar.com/forums/forum/16-minivans-%C2%B7-pacifica/

http://www.allpar.com/forums/forum/33-general-technical-support-help/

AutoZone will probably read the code for free but may not clear it. i have a $70 scanner i bought at Harbor Freight and that thing has paid for itself many times over.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
OK...saga time...

DONNIEP
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
This popped up on Pandora the other day and it had been years since I'd heard it. Damn good song! And I can't think of one other hit that they had :) :gulp:

twonabomber
10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
The Flyer?

bueno bob
10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I think they're somewhat surprised I haven't been throwing engine blocks through the windows yet...all in all, I'm not super concerned as of yet, just kinda put off about the whole thing...guess I'm getting mellow in my old age, lol...it's not so much the money, honestly, I've got money, it's just that I'm inconvenienced...I rented a vehicle, which promptly got us a speeding ticket (those new Chevys are NICE, lmao), but it's not exactly a recipe for success, you know...

motherchicken
10-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Contact the bureau of automotive repair before you spend another penny anywhere. They'll check out your van and if it's the shops fault it's acting up they'll make them fix it.

ashstralia
10-23-2012, 04:05 AM
God I'm glad I drive a diesel landcruiser. It'll outlast Armageddon. :biggrin:

ThrillsNSpills
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Ok, somebody needs to make a sign with 2 giant butt cheeks and write Final Exit Automotiveā„¢ and place it over the existing sign.

Step 2 is park your Van in close proximity and have this song on autorepeat.

I'm already bettin on Bob for the win.

jhale667
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, take these douchebags to small claims court, you're getting ripped off.

motherchicken
10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, take these douchebags to small claims court, you're getting ripped off.
I watch them judge shows often. To sue you'd have to take it to another mechanic who would swear the first guy fucked you. Try the bureau of automotive repair first. They don't charge anything. I had a Ford F100 smogged by Midas and they charged me 250 bucks to replace the egr valve and clean out the manifold where the egr lets in the exhaust. It passed smog but ran like shit. It ran fine before I took it there. They couldn't fix it so I threatened to call the bureau. They refunded all my cash and let me keep the smog certificate. The truck still ran like shit untill I bought a new carbuerator. I had the old one rebuilt first but that didn't change anything.

Hardrock69
10-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I have a nice ODB II scanner. Cost me 230 bucks. WORTH HAVING. Not just for repair, but when shopping for a used car, the slimy used car salesman should have no problem allowing you to run a scan on the vehicle.

That said.....take it to another shop that specializes in transmissions, then sue in small claims court to have it paid for by Meineke.

I go to Meineke for my muffler needs. I am fortunate in that they are a great shop with cool people. They won't touch my vehicle if they think I can fix it for less, or if it needs something done to it before I have them do work. Honest, etc.

Seems to me that the AAMCO guy is an asshole. I would fucking find out who the regional manager is (hell, it is a national franchise), and tell him he needs to hire a new door asshole.

Best of luck, Lord Vader. Too bad you cannot legally use The Force to choke the shit out of these people.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
My advice to you is to start drinking...

Just kidding, next time if you have transmission problems, I'd buy one from one of the major autoparts stores (using online coupons), then have a shop install it. You can probably find some sort of specialty motorsports shop that might do it even if they don't normally get into passenger car repair. You used to be able to get a used transmission that was tested and guaranteed, but I'm not sure they have them anymore...

Fuck places like Meinke, or AAMCO...