PDA

View Full Version : Too Cheap For Cable? 2012 Falls Shows Already Cancelled (Or About To Be)

Kristy
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
NBC killed 'Animal Practice' due to (get this) not only bad rating but endless letters form animals activist that say this deplorable show "paints animals in a bad way" and demonstrates clears animal cruelty to make them look cute.

Never saw it myself

Others on the block:

'Go On' - lame show starring smug Matthew Perry who is a radio sports broadcaster in therapy over the death of wife. Lame and lame.

'Vegas' - seen it once. Sucked. Cross between a poorly written Sopranos and Walker, Texas Ranger.

'Last Resort' - Never seen it. Some rouge military show. Look ghey like a cross between Lost & Beverley Hillbillies

'Ben & Kate' - on FOX so no one has ever seen it.*

'Revolution' - I've seen this. Pretty much about a bunch of survivors from a post-apocalyptic world who have no electricity or running water but seem to have impeccable clean clothes and no body odor towards each other for every episode.

'Nashville' - Saw part of this. A cross between X Factor, The Voice and Jerry Springer. Stars Hayden Panettiere as an up and coming "country star" by outcourgaring an older cougar country star has been. Yeah, watch this shit at your own risk.

*surprisingly enough Fox is keeping Zooey Deschanel. Why!? Oh GAWD WHY!?!

chefcraig
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Vegas is not canceled on CBS, and it really is a pretty cool show, given it's retro angle of the city in the 1960s. Unfortunately, no word on the positively dreadful Sherlock Holmes update Elementary (not to be confused with the absolutely brilliant PBS series Sherlock) which stars a hyper-caffeinated Johnny Lee Miller (who never slows down or shuts up, to the point of sheer incoherence) while Lucy Lui stands around looking uncomfortable.

Kristy
10-26-2012, 02:10 PM
It's not doing well in the ratings. One viewing was more than enough for me

Little Texan
10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, no word on the positively dreadful Sherlock Holmes update Elementary (not to be confused with the absolutely brilliant PBS series Sherlock) which stars a hyper-caffeinated Johnny Lee Miller (who never slows down or shuts up, to the point of sheer incoherence) while Lucy Lui stands around looking uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm ready for CBS to pull the plug on that and put The Mentalist back in its old time slot on Thursday nights, instead of being shoved into that Sunday night death slot that is often preempted by football on Sundays. It seems CBS is trying to kill one of their best shows while promoting a new, lame show based on Sherlock Holmes.

binnie
10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Is Zooey Deschanel the girl from 'New Girl'?

Little Texan
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Is Zooey Deschanel the girl from 'New Girl'?

Yep, poor man's Katy Perry.

So this is love
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Person of interest is my new favorite show....why can`t they pull the plug on 2 1/2 men is beyond me now that Charlie is gone.

FORD
10-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Person of Interest - basically a post "Patriot Act" rewrite of Quantum Leap.

Though time travel was a better premise than a Big Brother computer spy system, and Sam & Al were a better duo than Benjamin Linus and Mel Gibson Snuff Film version of JC.

Kristy
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
2 1/2 men is beyond the pale of depressing to watch.

Nickdfresh
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
A lot of people are just getting high speed internet and watching their shows on the computer. You can still get broadcast TV in high def, often with a better picture than even HD cable offers, with the right antenna and converter box. And those with a hard on for sports can simply go to a bar to catch the big events...

So this is love
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
your sig is a bit distracting...what were you saying...sports...baseball...I just saw a decent sport movie called Moneyball...worth watching.

ZahZoo
10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm having a tough time with too many shows I like and not enough time to watch them all and not enough bandwidth on the DVR to record them all...

I'm guess Sherlock will be short-lived.

FORD
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't know why CBS took the show with the redhead cop who couldn't forget anything off the air and replaced it with a Sherlock Holmes retread.

Oddly enough, there's only one re-imagining of Sherlock Holmes that ever really worked on US TV. It ran for 8 seasons, and just ended last year.

Yep, that's right.... House.

The name was obvious, if you think about it. And he was a detective, of sorts, in the medical field. And they did keep the drug addiction part.

BITEYOASS
10-26-2012, 05:02 PM
On a side note, I can't wait to see the next chapters of R. Kelly's epic comedy "Trapped In The Closet" on IFC! :bigwink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-L-Cp3qZfQ

Hardrock69
10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I do not watch prime time TV.

I only watch non-fiction documentaries and movies.

It is too lame to have to wade through the re-tread TV shows and the lame copycat shows that show up after some supposedly ground-breaking crap appears on the scene.

Why the fuck are their still goddamn "medical", "hospital", and "murder" shows on anyway? There is enough of that in real life, those types of shows have been on since the 1950s, and there is nothing new, original, funny or entertaining about any of that fucking shit.

POJO_Risin
10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Elementary and Vegas have a full season order in...

Kristy
10-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Does not necessitate they will run for a full season. Many of these shows are revamped, lame watered down versions of better known cable shows. I did see part of 'Sherlock' the other night and could not stomach more than 10 minutes of Lucy Liu's deplorable acting. How she keeps on getting work is a mystery to me. 'Revolution' is actually more violent than most cable series where everyone who happens to have a loaded 9mm tends to use on anyone else they see fit. I'm not sure of the whole Road Warrior/shock violence tactics of that show are really supposed to represent as far as entertainment values other than life has little meaning in a gun cultured society?

Seems now more than ever network prime time TV survives solely upon its advertisers than ever before. That Zooey-crap whatever show (which I guess is about a bunch of aimless 20-somethings played by near aimless 30-somethings actors is allegedly a reality check version of 'Friends' which was the most gawd-awful to ever grace television next to the shit Seth McFarlane pumps out) had spots for the new Ford Fusion so much that they put the car in the actual show itself. Why not just give the viewers a 24 minute infomercial on the car?

Believe it or not, I went without a TV for 4 years and recently purchased one last February for reasons I'm not sure of. For those 4 years, I didn't miss it nor the bad acting, horrible writing, recycled plots or lack of fresh ideas. Like I said, after witnessing Lucy Liu's embarrassing attempts at acting I am more than regretting my decision.

Kristy
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM

It's not looking good for Vegas:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/19/live7-dvr-ratings-modern-family-leads-adults-18-49-ratings-and-viewership-gains-666-park-ave-biggest-percentage-gains-in-week-6/158284/

and here
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/15/cbs-orders-two-more-episodes-of-elementary-cuts-vegas-episode-order-by-one/157891/

bueno bob
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I pretty much enjoy Vegas and Elementary, although I can live without both, honestly. The real bummer is losing Last Resort, which is pretty fantastic, although probably a bit outside of the normal TV viewers capacity to mentally process. Revolution has it's good and it's bad, but honestly it needed to take some pointers from The Walking Dead to make it work, so...if it survives, it survives, but touting "FEATURING MUSIC FROM LED ZEPPELIN!!!" isn't going to do it.

bueno bob
11-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Does not necessitate they will run for a full season. Many of these shows are revamped, lame watered down versions of better known cable shows. I did see part of 'Sherlock' the other night and could not stomach more than 10 minutes of Lucy Liu's deplorable acting. How she keeps on getting work is a mystery to me. 'Revolution' is actually more violent than most cable series where everyone who happens to have a loaded 9mm tends to use on anyone else they see fit. I'm not sure of the whole Road Warrior/shock violence tactics of that show are really supposed to represent as far as entertainment values other than life has little meaning in a gun cultured society?

Seems now more than ever network prime time TV survives solely upon its advertisers than ever before. That Zooey-crap whatever show (which I guess is about a bunch of aimless 20-somethings played by near aimless 30-somethings actors is allegedly a reality check version of 'Friends' which was the most gawd-awful to ever grace television next to the shit Seth McFarlane pumps out) had spots for the new Ford Fusion so much that they put the car in the actual show itself. Why not just give the viewers a 24 minute infomercial on the car?

Believe it or not, I went without a TV for 4 years and recently purchased one last February for reasons I'm not sure of. For those 4 years, I didn't miss it nor the bad acting, horrible writing, recycled plots or lack of fresh ideas. Like I said, after witnessing Lucy Liu's embarrassing attempts at acting I am more than regretting my decision.

Sounds like you should probably go back to not having a TV so that you have less things to complain about.

Kristy
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you should probably go back to not having a TV so that you have less things to complain about.

That'll never happen.

Yount
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Believe it or not, I went without a TV for 4 years ... I didn't miss it nor the bad acting, horrible writing, recycled plots or lack of fresh ideas. ...

Kid you not, I'm on 4 years and counting. :thumb:

Satan
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Terrible news for a show that's a big hit here in Hell........

On November 16, 2012, 666 Park Avenue was canceled by ABC. The network will air the thirteen episodes produced, but ultimately decided to pass on the two extra scripts that were ordered http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

sadaist
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
2 1/2 men is beyond the pale of depressing to watch.

I haven't had cable since my house was foreclosed last August 6, 2011. But I watched all of Breaking Bad on Netflix and I catch all the animated shows I like on Hulu. South Park shows all the new episodes right away too. I don't watch much, but when I do I get to be very selective. Shit, all my cable was doing anyways was keeping me company in the background while I was on the computer. Although I did enjoy leaving the TV on but mute while I slept. I do miss that warm glow at the far end of a dark bedroom all night watching over me.

But overall I don't miss cable and I sure don't miss the monthly bill. I keep thinking of subscribing to Hulu or netflix for $7 a month but never do. I don't feel like I'm missing out. Anything important is on the Internet right away anyways.

*woops. Also meant to say that I hate Ashton Kutcher. Makes me sad he is banging Mila Kunis but I don't think she is all the bright. Cute as a button for sure. Just not smart. Come to think of it, maybe they are perfect for each other.

Nickdfresh
11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I was considering cutting off cable TV and just keeping a Fios connection. As said, you can watch most of the shows you want for free or by torrent. But I'm a news junkie and like to watch sports too much and sitting watching hockey games in a bar can be even more expensive than cable. But I wouldn't have that problem at the moment...

sadaist
11-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Just give it a little more time & everything will be streamed. News is getting very close & so are sporting events. that recent 23 mile skydive thing you made the thread on.....was the single largest viewed streaming event ever. 8 million viewers, and it went off without a hitch. Prior to that was and event at the olympics with a meager 200,000 viewers. Listening to the tech show on the radio, they made a very big about that skydive event. Being that it showed the capability to stream to a shit load of people with zero problems. The technology is there. It's just getting all the connections & computers & servers caught up to it.

Soon man. Cable will go the way of the cassette tape or CD. In fact I predict that within a decade every device will have it's very own mobile wifi hotspot built right in. You could take your TV anywhere you can power it & just turn it on. it connects & streams whatever you want.

I already use a mobile hotspot. In fact I'm having my morning coffee near a McDonalds right now on my laptop sitting in the truck. It's called a Verizon Jetpack and I could connect up to 10 devices at once. 4g connection. Can even play World Of Warcraft sitting here.

FORD
11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Just give it a little more time & everything will be streamed. News is getting very close & so are sporting events.

Actually, news and sporting events are streamed now. Not always "officially", of course. But let's just say I managed to watch MSNBC's election night coverage without any problems, and most of the college bowl games last year without too much difficulty.

Kristy
11-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Soon man. Cable will go the way of the cassette tape or CD. In fact I predict that within a decade every device will have it's very own mobile wifi hotspot built right in. You could take your TV anywhere you can power it & just turn it on. it connects & streams whatever you want.

I agree cable TV is slowly fading into the sunset no matter how much gratuitous sex or shocking violence the cable networks are broadcasting during prime time. The bottom line with cable is that it delivers lower and lower quality (in terms of programming) with increasing rates. After being screwed over royally on a "package deal" by Comcast both my roommate and I canceled cable back in June and really don't miss it. The both of us rarely watch TV other than the occasional Bronco game - music is on most of the time around here. All we have cable for is internet and phone.

Nitro Express
11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree cable TV is slowly fading into the sunset no matter how much gratuitous sex or shocking violence the cable networks are broadcasting during prime time. The bottom line with cable is that it delivers lower and lower quality (in terms of programming) with increasing rates. After being screwed over royally on a "package deal" by Comcast both my roommate and I canceled cable back in June and really don't miss it. The both of us rarely watch TV other than the occasional Bronco game - music is on most of the time around here. All we have cable for is internet and phone.

The only thing really keeping cable companies in business is many people use them for their high band internet service. A friend of mine managed the Microsoft House project which is a high tech home in Seattle that Microsoft uses to try and figure out how people will use technology in their home. The ideal situation would be to have fiber optic line running into the home itself. In reality most homes don't have this but they have coaxal cable. The reason why is having cable TV was important enough for people to go to the bother of having that line put in the house. So that is what is currently used. Ideally it should be fiber optic if we are going to stream everything but the demand has to be there. Of course the outfits in position to do the installation is the cable companies.

FORD
11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
The only thing really keeping cable companies in business is many people use them for their high band internet service.

Guilty as charged. I despise Comca$t, as their corporate office is horribly right wing, as is their censorship policy. But the ONLY other option available around here is Century Link's 1.5 MB DSL, (slower than molasses by today's standards) and you can't even get that from them without bundling with a ridiculously expensive landline phone that I don't need.

So I'm stuck with the cable monopoly, due to lack of any other options.

chefcraig
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM

You see, this gets to the heart of what has bugged me forever about cable tv: it's tiered structure of pricing over quantity. For instance, I subscribe to a basic cable package that inexplicably includes several Spanish language stations (I'm not being a racist here, but...duh, I don't happen to be fluent in Spanish), more than a handful of Home Shopping Network-type channels ("Get a great deal on some worthless shit you have absolutely zero purpose in using, let alone owning!") and dumb as a box of hammers programing like "E" and the "Style" channel. On the contrary, I would have to spend extra to get the NFL channel and VH-1 Classic, which were originally included in the package but removed a few years ago, in order to exploit people into purchasing higher prices bundles.

It fucking sucks, and the painfully obvious solution would be a la carte programming. You'd have the option of picking out the very channels that appeal to you and would wish to view, minus a bunch of shit you are never going to watch in the first place. It could be priced accordingly, depending upon how many channels (not content) you are willing to pay for. "You want 10 channels? Swell, pay this. Ya want 120? Terrific, pay this amount."

And you can't tell me the technology isn't in place in order to make this scenario a reality. The truth is probably closer to the fact that cable companies don't want to extend the effort and money toward doing so. Fuck, it takes 'em 4-5 days to show up at your house when things go tits-up, and even then they can't give you any idea of what time they could inconvenience themselves by showing up at your door. About the only other occupation you can get away with by being so consistently wrong is being a weather man. "Uhhh...there is a 50% chance of rain today."

:doh:

twonabomber
11-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah...why the fuck do I have to pay for home shopping channels and Jesus channels that I don't watch? The cable industry says "well, if people don't pay for those channels, they'll go away," and I sit here and think no one will miss those channels. Let the people who like 'em pay for 'em. Not that I'd believe it if someone said they willingly paid to watch the 700 Club.

And I am really glad DirecTV came to an agreement with Viacom, because, y'know, I just can't live without knowing the remake of Walking Tall will be on Spike EVERY FUCKING WEEK. Not to mention Star Wars Mondays, when I've already seen the originals fifty million fucking times on Beta, VHS, DVD, and now Blu-Ray.

And, and...a few years ago one of the local weather guys gets on after the storm DOESN'T hit and says "we said it could go either way, and it did." Now that's deep.

Nitro Express
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I can remember when cable channels were commercial free. Then they started loading them up with commercials. They did so because the customers had to have their cable TV and would not cancel the service. The American consumer is an idiot. They put up with so much shit because they are too unmotivated to go without. It's the main reason the corporations and politicians say "open wide" and skull fuck society.

Nitro Express
11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
We don't have Comcast here. I'm glad. I have heard nothing but bad about them. Our neighbor was running a trencher and our cable line runs through their property and they cut the line. It was Saturday around noon. I called the cable company and they had technicians at our place in a half hour and they put in a temporary patch line and then came Monday morning and ran a whole new line. I can't complain about the service.

Kristy
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
You see, this gets to the heart of what has bugged me forever about cable tv: it's tiered structure of pricing over quantity. For instance, I subscribe to a basic cable package that inexplicably includes several Spanish language stations (I'm not being a racist here, but...duh, I don't happen to be fluent in Spanish), more than a handful of Home Shopping Network-type channels ("Get a great deal on some worthless shit you have absolutely zero purpose in using, let alone owning!") and dumb as a box of hammers programing like "E" and the "Style" channel. On the contrary, I would have to spend extra to get the NFL channel and VH-1 Classic, which were originally included in the package but removed a few years ago, in order to exploit people into purchasing higher prices bundles.

Hate to tell you this but you already probably know that many of those channels are FREE and over-air. Cable may give you a better image quality but really, Home Shopping Network a.k.a The Stepford Wife's Channel?

It fucking sucks, and the painfully obvious solution would be a la carte programming. You'd have the option of picking out the very channels that appeal to you and would wish to view, minus a bunch of shit you are never going to watch in the first place. It could be priced accordingly, depending upon how many channels (not content) you are willing to pay for. "You want 10 channels? Swell, pay this. Ya want 120? Terrific, pay this amount."

Even if there were the case, I'd have no doubt cable providers would over charge for that, too claiming it puts a burden on their system operations or some such shit. When it comes to cable (and yes, even satellite TV) you are billed for everything from trip charges that have nothing to do with you to increasing license fees by the F.C.C. to to broadcast on certain wavelengths. But I guess the same goes of internet.

And you can't tell me the technology isn't in place in order to make this scenario a reality. The truth is probably closer to the fact that cable companies don't want to extend the effort and money toward doing so. Fuck, it takes 'em 4-5 days to show up at your house when things go tits-up, and even then they can't give you any idea of what time they could inconvenience themselves by showing up at your door. About the only other occupation you can get away with by being so consistently wrong is being a weather man. "Uhhh...there is a 50% chance of rain today."

What they do offer is premium watching for ridiculous fees. Need an example? HD viewing. Since about what, over 70% of all TV's out there have HD capability you have to pay to watch what your TV can fully do (if that made sense). My roommate's boyfriend pays for HD at I think is @ $20 more a month and he's still getting the same crappy programming only in 1080p! Golly! I had no problem with getting cable installed but Comcast were total dicks when it came to cable cancellation trying to resell us other packages and "limited offer deals" which all amounted to the same old crap. Not only that, they charged us a "cancellation fee." These are also the reasons why I don't miss cable. Like I said, music is on here most of the time and it's far more relaxing.

Speaking of which, Bruce said it best:

Satan
05-12-2013, 05:01 AM
The votes are in; the following is a list of shows that have either been
(as of Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:40 PM PST)
cancelled, ended, renewed or as of yet remain unknown.

For updates and/or changes to the list, please visit TV by the Numbers on zap2it.com:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/10/list-of-renewedcanceled-broadcast-scripted-shows-from-2012-13-season-updated/

================================================== ====
Canceled (or Not Renewed)

666 Park Avenue http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif
Body Of Proof
Don't Trust The B---- in Apartment 23
Family Tools
Happy Endings
How To Live With Your Parents...
Last Resort
Malibu Country
Red Widow
Zero Hour
CSI: NY
Golden Boy
Made In Jersey
Partners
Rules of Engagement
Vegas
Cult
Emily Owens, M.D.
Ben And Kate
Cleveland Show, The
The Mob Doctor
Touch
1600 Penn
Animal Practice
Deception
Do No Harm
Go On
Guys With Kids
Smash
The New Normal
Up All Night
Whitney

Ended

Private Practice
Gossip Girl
Fringe
30 Rock
Office, The

Renewed

Castle
Grey's Anatomy
Last Man Standing
Middle, The
Modern Family
Nashville
Neighbors, The
Once Upon A Time
Revenge
Scandal
Suburgatory
2 Broke Girls
Big Bang Theory, The
Blue Bloods
Criminal Minds
CSI
Elementary
Good Wife, The
Hawaii Five-0
How I Met Your Mother
Mentalist, The
Mike & Molly
NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
Person Of Interest
Two and a Half Men
Arrow
Beauty And The Beast
Carrie Diaries, The
Hart Of Dixie
Nikita (short season)
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries, The
American Dad
Bob's Burgers
Bones
Family Guy
Following, The
Glee
Mindy Project, The
New Girl
Raising Hope
The Simpsons
Chicago Fire
Community
Grimm
Law & Order: SVU
Parenthood
Parks & Recreation
Revolution

sadaist
05-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Breaking Bad is also ending this summer. Surprised about CSI:NY. Didn't realize it was still on. Dig Gary Sinise but they way overdid the whole CSI thing. Vegas with Grissom was the only one I enjoyed.