PDA

View Full Version : Charles Darwin gets 4,000 write-in votes in Athens GA

Satan
11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Charles Darwin gets 4,000 write-in votes in Athens
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:10 PM EST Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:10 PM EST

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) - Election officials in Athens-Clarke County say Charles Darwin received nearly 4,000 write-in votes after a Georgia congressman denounced evolution and other scientific theories as "lies straight from the pits of Hell."

Athens-Clarke County elections supervisor Gail Schrader released the figures Thursday. The write-in votes for Darwin, the 19th century naturalist considered the father of evolution, were merely symbolic as Republican Rep. Paul Broun cruised to re-election unopposed Tuesday.

The Athens Banner-Herald reports (http://bitly.com/XnDtgG ) write-in totals were not immediately available in the 24 remaining counties included in Broun's 10th District. The congressman received a total of 209,917 votes in the election.

Critics urged the congressman's constituents to write-in Darwin after Broun was videotaped lambasting evolution in a speech to a church group.

Nitro Express
11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I guess they gave up snake handling in Athens.

Satan
11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Athens is pretty Liberal for Georgia. Home to the B-52s, REM, and the Indigo Girls. None of whom are exactly known for conservatism.

DONNIEP
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
The only state in the Union that legally permits snake handlin' in church is West Virginia. They drink strychnine in those churches too. I bet God is laughing his ass off every Sunday :biggrin:

Satan
11-09-2012, 12:11 AM
The only state in the Union that legally permits snake handlin' in church is West Virginia. They drink strychnine in those churches too. I bet God is laughing his ass off every Sunday :biggrin:

I know I am..... especially when some of those folks die, and don't wake up where they thought they would be! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif