PDA

View Full Version : Jist listened to a 1984 boot from Philly I never heard before....

Carloscda
11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
It's up a Dime...

During the show Dave says "The cameras are rolling", Yes I know he says this on numerous boots.

Now if this is the actual concert they filmed Panama then surely the whole concert was filmed, they could release that?!

Any insight on this?

78/84 guy
11-13-2012, 11:54 PM
It's well documented by fans that complete shows were filmed. Sounds like all Oakland 81 shows were. And there are rumors the Pete has a pro shot show from every tour. Who knows ? Ed & Al are to much of dickheads to release anything if you ask me. I mean what the fuck are they waiting for ?! The Beatles can get away with it 50 years later but will Van Halen fans care ?

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I highly doubt there's a full length pro-shot show from every year...

Dave or Michael would have said something to corroborate that over the years...

MA has spoken at length about what material is in the vaults and I never heard that...

Dave did as well on his radio show...

Nickdfresh
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
There is a persistent rumor that complete shows were filmed and that Van Halen was planning on a live video project to coincide with the release of their next album. Unfortunately that album turned out to be 5150 and the video turned out to be Live Without a Net. Ed may have destroyed any 1984 show footage along with the three songs Dave completed before his departure that became 5150 songs.....

Yount
11-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Damn. You. Ed.

Yount
11-15-2012, 03:32 AM
If Dave introduces you to Ed with the air of confidence that he exudes about the man and his fingers and - hey - forgive the man and his social shortcomings! Ed is cool. I'll see the show, buy the album, shirt.
But meeting Ed by himself, (or with Sam) I would think the guy is a loon. Ed always needed Dave.

Nickdfresh
11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Wasn't Al quoted recently as having said Dave did the original vocals for what became SummerNights and they still have the recording?

I wasn't aware they still have the recording, Brett from VH Links said the song was originally titled "Eat Thy Neighbor." I've also heard that "Get Up" and one other song, maybe "5150", were previously complete working demos with Dave singing...

Nickdfresh
11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Here's the Links thread from 2000:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/eat-thy-neighbor-t17749.html

DLR Bridge
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
That's a fun link to read. Speculation all over the map. And is that thee FORD? Dang, time flies when your... left in the dark by VH.

jhale667
11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
If Dave introduces you to Ed with the air of confidence that he exudes about the man and his fingers and - hey - forgive the man and his social shortcomings! Ed is cool. I'll see the show, buy the album, shirt.
But meeting Ed by himself, (or with Sam) I would think the guy is a loon. Ed always needed Dave.

Met him by himself, and he's actually pretty cool (not in a "What are you drinkin'?" way like DLR was, but then we weren't at a bar)...will talk your ear off about gear!

Yount
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Met him by himself, and he's actually pretty cool (not in a "What are you drinkin'?" way like DLR was, but then we weren't at a bar)...will talk your ear off about gear!

Gear talk, ruuuun!

jhale667
11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Gear talk, ruuuun!

Uh, since I'm a guitarist, that wasn't a consideration. The master thinks you enough of you to want to talk gear with you - you talk gear. :D

:guitar:

VAiN
11-15-2012, 07:09 PM
There are definitely complete shows on video from 80, 81 & 84... there's a list from Warner Bros that has been floating around the net for years. I'd sure love to get my hands on that shit.

78/84 guy
11-15-2012, 08:10 PM
There are definitely complete shows on video from 80, 81 & 84... there's a list from Warner Bros that has been floating around the net for years. I'd sure love to get my hands on that shit.

Yep. and a photo of the reels of tape they are in. I remember it well. I thought it was posted here a few years ago. It's well documented by fans the film crew was at ALL 3 Oakland shows. We were just posting stuff about it in main somewhere. A guy that went to all 3 shows that posted at the News Desk says he remembers well that film crews were at all 3 nights.

78/84 guy
11-15-2012, 08:15 PM
At this point I will take a show from this year. Anything. Something ? Hello Ed. Yea right !

VAiN
11-15-2012, 08:54 PM
At this point I will take a show from this year. Anything. Something ? Hello Ed. Yea right !

80-81 would be amazing..

ELVIS
11-16-2012, 01:29 AM
A guy that went to all 3 shows that posted at the News Desk says he remembers well that film crews were at all 3 nights.

It was a prop...

Angel
11-16-2012, 01:46 AM

I would die for the 80 Edmonton show. Dave pointed me out at that show :D

Sent from my GS2, bitches

Yount
11-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Uh, since I'm a guitarist, that wasn't a consideration. The master thinks you enough of you to want to talk gear with you - you talk gear. :D

Ha, yeah I know I'd just do a lot of nodding, that's all. Poor bloke would have pity on me. Hey, I can go from G to C!!