PDA

View Full Version : Larry Hagman, a.k.a. J.R. Ewing, dead at age 81

Little Texan
11-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Report: Larry Hagman, 'Dallas' star, dies
by Lynette Rice and James Hibberd

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/10/14/Larry-Hagman_240.jpg

Link (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/23/larry-hagman-dies-2/)

Larry Hagman, the actor best known as the ruthless oilman J.R. Ewing on TV’s Dallas, died Friday afternoon, the Dallas Morning News reported. He was 81.

Members of his family told the paper that Hagman died of complications stemming from his recent battle with cancer.

“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most,” the family said in a statement. “Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time.”

Born to fabled actress Mary Martin and district attorney Larry Hagman in Fort Worth, Tex., Hagman decided to follow in his mother’s footsteps after attending New York’s Bard College — first by appearing in regional theater and then by moving to England to join the cast of his mom’s stage musical, South Pacific. After a tour of duty with the U.S. Air Force (he met his wife, Maj Axelsson, while stationed in England), Hagman returned to New York to perform on Broadway.

EW Daily Poll: What will you do on Black Friday?

The small screen soon beckoned. He made guest appearances on shows like The ALCOA Hour, followed by a two-year stint on the New York-based daytime soap The Edge of Night. His first breakout role came in 1965 when he was recruited to play an amiable astronaut who falls in love with a bottle-dwelling genie in the NBC sitcom I Dream of Jeannie. But he cemented his position as a Hollywood superstar 12 years later by joining CBS’ Dallas. For 14 years, Hagman played the love-him-or-hate-him millionaire J.R.Ewing. The popular show’s infamous Nov. 21, 1980 episode — resolving the previous season finale’s “Who shot J.R.?” cliffhanger — remains the second-highest-rated TV show in history.

Behind the scenes, however, Hagman struggled for years with chronic alcoholism — so much so that a doctor told him in 1995 that he’d have to replace his liver or he’d be dead in six months. “In the heyday of Dallas, it got to the point where I showed up for work about 6:30 in the morning, and by around 9, I might have opened a bottle of champagne, which I would nurse until about noon,” Hagman told People in 1995. “By lunch I might start on another half-bottle of champagne. I would go through about three bottles a day, sometimes with people who would drop by the set, but mostly by myself. I just kept that steady drip going. The drinking sometimes made it harder to remember lines, but I liked that constant feeling of being mildly loaded.” Thanks to the 16-hour liver transplant surgery, Hagman said his doctors “saved his life.” A year later, he served as the national spokesman for the 1996 U.S. Transplant Games and continued to serve as an advocate of organ donation and transplantation until his death. Despite occasional acting roles after Dallas left the air in 1991 (in the 1998 film Primary Colors and a five-episode arc on Nip/Tuck in 2006), Hagman largely withdrew from the limelight.

Then, last summer, TNT rebooted Dallas last summer, with Hagman on board. The rest of the cast included other original cast members as well, along with a new generation of the Ewing clan. But last October Hagman announced he was diagnosed with cancer, and said he hoped to continue in his role on the show’s second season.

“As J.R. I could get away with anything — bribery, blackmail and adultery,” Hagman said at the time in a statement. “But I got caught by cancer. I do want everyone to know that it is a very common and treatable form of cancer. I will be receiving treatment while working on the new Dallas series. I could not think of a better place to be than working on a show I love, with people I love. Besides, as we all know, you can’t keep J.R. down!”

According to the Dallas Morning News, in addition to his wife, Mr. Hagman is survived by a daughter, Kristina Hagman, a son, Preston Hagman, and five granddaughters.

FORD
11-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Sad, but not surprising. You could tell he was not in very good health on the Dallas remake last summer

Rest in peace, J.R. :(

sadaist
11-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Bummer. I rarely watched Dallas and Hagman will always be Major Nelson to me. I loved I Dream Of Jeannie as a youngster in the 70's & 80's. Great stuff. Rest in peace.

Guitar Shark
11-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Sorry for your loss Rikk

DavidLeeNatra
11-24-2012, 03:25 AM
I was a big fan. read his autobiographie...funny man, knew to live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZV3365a7Ew

BigBadBrian
11-24-2012, 06:41 AM
I was always upset when JR seemingly had Cliff Barnes in the poorhouse or about to swallow a bullet and yet JR could never finish the job. :gulp:

BTW, Larry had a liver transplant besides cancer. With transplants, you need to suppress the immune system to prevent the body from rejecting the organ. In cancer, you want to boost the immune system to fight the cancer. Having the two together, therefore. usually doesn't lead to a good outcome.

RIP larry. :(

Nickdfresh
11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm guessing that some of Larry's problems with his liver stemmed from that old demon alcohol. But I loved his work and we lost a great American TV Actor on Black Friday...
http://www.extinctdesign.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/JeannieMajorNelson.png

katina
11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
:( Rest in Peace Larry

78/84 guy
11-24-2012, 09:33 AM
R.I.P. Man that was the only soap worth watching. And I was a kid back then. No one could have played J.R. better. No one. He has a small part in Primary Colors with Travolta about 15 years ago. I remembered how good he was in it. Jeannie was classic also.

DavidLeeNatra
11-24-2012, 09:39 AM
R.I.P. Man that was the only soap worth watching. And I was a kid back then. No one could have played J.R. better. No one. He has a small part in Primary Colors with Travolta about 15 years ago. I remembered how good he was in it. Jeannie was classic also.

wasn't that in Nixon? where he played one of the moguls from texas who let JFK assassinate to install tricky dick.

Rikk
11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Sorry for your loss Rikk

Thanks, my friend. I'm truly in mourning today. Fucking sucks.

sadaist
11-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks, my friend. I'm truly in mourning today. Fucking sucks.

You were the first guy I thought about when I heard the news. :( Sorry man. Sucks when we lose one of our personal idols.

sadaist
11-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm guessing that some of Larry's problems with his liver stemmed from that old demon alcohol. But I loved his work and we lost a great American TV Actor on Black Friday...
http://www.extinctdesign.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/JeannieMajorNelson.png

Did he ever bang Jeannie in real life you think? I bet he did. I hope he did. Man, she was a fine piece back then. Yeah, I bet he hit that while she called him master.

Dave's Bitch
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
You were the first guy I thought about when I heard the news. :( Sorry man. Sucks when we lose one of our personal idols.

Ha me too. Condolences to his family and to you Rikk

Nickdfresh
11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Did he ever bang Jeannie in real life you think? I bet he did. I hope he did. Man, she was a fine piece back then. Yeah, I bet he hit that while she called him master.

Maybe:

As I received the news this evening and as you read this I still cannot completely express the shock and impact from the news that Larry Hagman has passed. I can still remember, that first day on Zuma Beach with him, in the frigid cold. From that day for five more years, Larry was the center of so many fun, wild, shocking… and in retrospect, memorable moments that will remain in my heart forever.

He was such a key element in my life for so long and even, years after I Dream of Jeannie; our paths crossed many times. Throughout various productions I had the pleasure of watching the Texas Tornado that was Larry Hagman. Amidst a whirlwind of big laughs, big smiles and unrestrained personality Larry was always, simply Larry. You couldn't fault him for it, it was just who he was. I am so thankful that this past year I was able to spend time with him and experience yet again ‘Larry’ in all his Big Texas bravado.

I, like many others believed he had beat Cancer and yet we are reminded that life is never guaranteed. My deepest condolences go out to his wife Maj, his son and daughter and his grandchildren, as well as his friends in this time of his passing. I can honestly say that we've lost not just a great actor, not just a television icon, but an element of pure Americana.

Goodbye Larry, there was no one like you before and there will never be anyone like you again.

-Barbara (Eden)

WARF
11-24-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/11/24/jr-ewing-larrry-hagman-300-ap-03635218.jpg

12:40PM EST November 24. 2012 - Actor Larry Hagman, 81, whom fans for decades confused with J.R. Ewing, the conniving character he so convincingly played on TV's Dallas, died Friday in the Texas city that made him a household name.

Hagman had been battling cancer for the past year, having announced his diagnosis just as he began work on the soap-opera reboot for TNT.

A statement released to the Dallas Morning News by the actor's family noted, "Larry's family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time."

REACTION: Stars take to Twitter to mourn Hagman

Linda Gray, his on-screen wife and later ex-wife in the original series and the sequel, was among those with Hagman in his final moments, said her publicist, Jeffrey Lane.

"He brought joy to everyone he knew. He was creative, generous, funny, loving and talented, and I will miss him enormously. He was an original and lived life to the fullest," the actress said.

In a statement, Warner Bros. and the new show's executive producers Cynthia Cidre and Michael Robin, said, "Larry Hagman was a giant, a larger-than-life personality whose iconic performance as J.R. Ewing will endure as one of the most indelible in entertainment history. He truly loved portraying this globally recognized character, and he leaves a legacy of entertainment, generosity and grace." And the network called him "a wonderful human being and an extremely gifted actor"

Hagman relished the chance to reprise his best-known character. "Of course it's fun to play the villain," Hagman told USA TODAY in 2011 while filming an episode of the new Dallas, which returned to television earlier this year after a 20-year absence. "I don't understand why people love J.R. so much, but it's not just America, it's all over the place. France, England. Ireland. In Germany they have this amazing core of people who follow my career."

Hagman, like the scheming oil baron J.R., the star of the prime time soap opera which aired from 1978 to 1991, was a Texan. He was born in Forth Worth in 1931. His father, Ben Hagman, was a district attorney and his mother, Mary Martin, was a renowned Broadway actress who starred in such classics as South Pacific and Peter Pan.

Hagman, who became a household name for playing J.R., said for years he would remind people that he wasn't J.R., but that later in life, he changed his attitude. "I used to say, 'No, I'm not J.R.,' but I don't now. When people think I'm J.R., I play up to that."

His portrayal of J.R. not only brought him fame, but also helped give the series a place in TV ratings history. The "Who shot J.R.?" story twist fueled international speculation and millions of dollars in betting-parlor wagers.

When the answer was revealed in a November 1980 episode, an average 41 million U.S. viewers tuned in to make Dallas one of the most-watched entertainment shows of all time, trailing only the MASH finale in 1983 with 50 million viewers.

It was J.R.'s sister-in-law, Kristin (Mary Crosby) who shot him — he had made her pregnant, then threatened to frame her as a prostitute unless she left town — but others had equal motivation.

In the fall of 2011, while filming the new Dallas, Hagman released a statement in which he announced he was battling cancer but, "I do want everyone to know that it is a very common and treatable form of cancer." He had previously battled cirrhosis of the liver as a result of heavy drinking, which led to a liver transplant in 1995.

Drinking wasn't his only vice. A heavy smoker earlier in his career, he served as the chairperson of the American Cancer Society's "Great American Smokeout" from 1981 to 1992.

Though best known for his work on Dallas, Hagman, who graduated from Bard College and served in the Air Force, also appeared on the daytime soap opera Edge of Night from 1961-63. In 1954 he wed Maj Axelsson, with whom he had two children, daughter Heidi Kristina and son Preston.

He credited the longevity of his marriage to "two bathrooms," and his ability to live vicariously through J.R.. "I did all my fooling around on screen," he told USA TODAY in 2004.

Hagman's career took off when he played astronaut Maj. Anthony Nelson on the 1965-70 sitcom, I Dream of Jeannie. The story revolved around Nelson's secret relationship with a magical and beautiful genie, played by Barbara Eden.

"I Dream of Jeannie has been around for 47 years," Hagman said in 2011. "Most people in their 50s and 60s grew up with it, and I watch it occasionally. It's a lot of fun. It's still popular all around the world."

Eden posted on her Facebook page: "I still cannot completely express the shock and impact from the news that Larry Hagman has passed. I can still remember, that first day on Zuma Beach with him, in the frigid cold. From that day for five more years, Larry was the center of so many fun, wild, shocking … and in retrospect, memorable moments that will remain in my heart forever."

Other friends, fans and co-workers expressed their sorrow on Twitter. "I'm shocked," tweeted Larry King. "Larry Hagman was a dear man who had an incredible career. He helped me to stop smoking." Wrote Elizabeth Hurley, "Thank you for being such an entertaining actor and giving us such happy memories." And Angie Harmon, star of TNT's Rizzoli & Isles, tweeted, "Thank you for being as amazing & talented & kind in person as I'd always hoped!"

In addition to his television work, Hagman portrayed a corrupt Texas oilman in Oliver Stone's Nixon (1995), And in Mike Nichols' Primary Colors (1998), he played an ex-Florida governor.

The second season of TNT's Dallas is scheduled to premiere Jan. 28; six of the 15 episodes had been filmed at the time of his death.

Contributing: The Associated Press

WARF
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the dupe!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Are you drunk already?

Merging with the other thread....

sadaist
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Sorry for the dupe!

It's okay. Larry Hagman is one of the few people worthy of 2 threads.

LoungeMachine
11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Are you drunk already?

And the odds makers take a beating.....

:gulp:

IceCreamBlondie
11-26-2012, 12:55 AM
This is truly awful. I loved the original Dallas series and I am absolutely hooked on the rebooted series. JR's devilish character made the show worth watching - he had the best one liners and you just couldn't wait to see what evil plots he cooked up next. I wonder what will happen without him when season two starts; maybe John Ross will do his old man's tricks.

Larry Hagman, I miss you already...enjoy your stay at that big ranch up in the sky. I bet there is an Oil Baron's Ball going there now!

FORD
11-26-2012, 02:04 AM
I bet there is an Oil Baron's Ball going there now!

Doubt there are enough oil barons in Heaven for that to be possible. :biggrin:

DavidLeeNatra
11-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Doubt there are enough oil barons in Heaven for that to be possible. :biggrin:

:biggrin: