PDA

View Full Version : Music Go-Round

Kristy
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Anybody ever shop/sell there? I applied for a job there as a joke for weekend help during the holiday season and they hired me. Just a hair - been a long time since I worked in a musical instrument store. Their prices seem a wee bit high for used but I like their business model in that they don't cater to a certain brand (i.e., Fender, Dan Electro, whatever) and that you don't have to push a certain brand over another. We'll see how this plays out. We'll see.

jhale667
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Don't believe the chain is in Cali - what department are you going to be working in?

Kristy
12-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Instrument repair/set up.

I took a course offered by Fender years ago and have the silver certificate to prove it. :first:

Nitro Express
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Instrument repair/set up.

I took a course offered by Fender years ago and have the silver certificate to prove it. :first:

So you can set up all those saddles on a Strat and get the radius curve on the money while getting the action the way the customer likes it and get the action and truss rod tweaked just right? All while getting the tremelo springs set right so the thing stays reasonably in tune?

Kristy
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes. Although I haven't been near a guitar since what, 2006? The guy who does the instrument set up for sale told me "it'll comeback to ya" Really, I was driving by walked in and applied as a joke.

Nitro Express
12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
So are you going to do it? It's hard to find anyone that can set up a guitar decent anymore and I'm sure the guy is having a hard time finding anyone who gives a damn.

About the only way you really can fuck up a guitar is to turn the truss rod nut too much. Cutting nuts can be a bit tricky. Sometimes that neck won't settle in until a few days go by and so you really never know where you are there and also humidity affects it as well. Some of the new guitars have graphite bars in the necks that stabilize the necks.

For me the standard Fender Strat setup was always fine for me. The only guitar I ever bought that was perfect out of the box was a Strat. I've had it for years and have never adjusted a thing on it.

Matt White
12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Been to the Music Go-Round in both Ann Arbor & South Milwaukee..............

always found cool stuff there for decent prices...........

The guy at the A2 store helped me put the Bumblestein back together......................

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/2b2c143bd8a967d711cf922db2e61161/l.jpg

Nitro Express
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Well if Kristy takes the job she can stretch out G strings and work on some nuts.

Matt White
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm always on the lookout for the old ZOOM 9000

http://repositorio2.masoportunidades.com.ar/ARG01/96/19/1529470/fotos/1529470_3_2010120_21_49_8.jpg

Kristy
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
About the only way you really can fuck up a guitar is to turn the truss rod nut too much. Cutting nuts can be a bit tricky. Sometimes that neck won't settle in until a few days go by and so you really never know where you are there and also humidity affects it as well. Some of the new guitars have graphite bars in the necks that stabilize the necks.

Basically a lot of restringing, neck/bridge/saddle adjust, tuning, cleaning - tedious crap. It's not that difficult to grasp. Nothing in terms of electronic work, the guy who does that major surgery is quite impressive.

Nitro Express
12-03-2012, 11:14 PM
It is tedious. Rick Nelson of Cheap Trick said his guitar tech hates that five neck guitar he has.

Kristy
12-04-2012, 12:26 AM
what a co-winkie dink. I hate Cheap Trick

Nitro Express
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
what a co-winkie dink. I hate Cheap Trick
You would hate him even more if you had to maintain all his guitars. What. You don't like bands who had a chain smoking drummer and a nerd guitar player?