PDA

View Full Version : Foo Fighters

Yount
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
So I know a few people that are into them, but I can't quite get the motivation to actually listen to their stuff.

They look like a bunch of average shmoes to me, and their radio hits are meh. But you tell me?

Do they have anything worth checking out?
Same with Incubus. What are my ears missing out on?

Spank you.

sadaist
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I like the Foo Fighters. Saw them live in 2007 open for The Police. Great show with a lot of energy & Dave Grohl really kows how to interact with the audience. They have some really good songs. Nothing life changing yet, but good solid rock & roll which seems to be a rarity nowadays. Much better than Nirvana ever was in my opinion. My only issue is some of their songs sound a bit similar. But a good band nonetheless. Definitely worth buying 1 cd or downloading a few tunes you like after previewing them on youtube.

vandeleur
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought wasting light was their best album , I like it for what it's worth :)

VAiN
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
They're a great live band.. I'd say the talent level in that band is well above average. Taylor is no slouch on drums and Grohl is, IMO, a very talented song writer. You can hear the evolution from album to album. Great composition.
Wasting Light is definitely a great album and worth a listen.. Colour and the Shape is also very solid. 'Everlong' is probably their most memorable song, and rightfully so - it's an amazing tune.

I could never get into Incubus.. or as I like to call them - suckubus.

sadaist
12-04-2012, 11:49 PM
.....and the police were great in 2007.

OMG YES!

I chose the Dodger Stadium show. You lose a lot in sound quality over the Staples Center, but 60,000 people? You can't beat that ambiance. Full moon that night & you know what they played :)

I had the best fun there. Sting really has a lot of songs where they get the crowd to sing along. 2007 was a great year for me.

I saw Van Halen with Dave for the 1st time.

I saw The Police with Sting for the 1st time.

My divorce was finalized.

I gained full custody of my dogs.

HOORAY 2007!!!

binnie
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Check out the following albums:

Wasting Light (really warm rock 'n' roll record with depth to the songs)

The Colour & The Shape (an out and out rock 'n' roll record with pop sensibilities throughout. So good you'll be singing it for days).

The rest of their albums are patchy - great individual songs, but not consistent records.

Incubus is the more difficult one.

I'd say that they're more a teenage band (especially the early stuff), but the lyrics etc might not bother you.

Try:

A Crow Left of The Murder (divides fans, but it's their heaviest record, and the most non-commerical)

Make Yourself (lots of soft./heavy songs, big hooks and bouncy-bouncy rhythms)

S.C.I.E.N.C.E (Yes, it's Nu Metal; yes, there are hip hop beats; and, yes, it's not aged well - but it was a fuck of a lot of fun).

Don't take it too seriously and you might enjoy some of it.....

78/84 guy
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Great band. Love the drummer. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the show. I like the hits. And that new album is really good. Dave might be the last true rock star, and that's funny because he doesn't act like one. I think Slash was the last true guitar hero. In my book anyway.