PDA

View Full Version : Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

BigBadBrian
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
DETROIT (WJBK) -- The city of Detroit faces a major financialcrisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city. (Click the video player to listen)

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson. "That's what you do."

Young served as Detroit's mayor for 20 years and served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city that some experts say could run out of money by the end of the year.

The federal government has bailed out cities in the past, however. In 1975, President Gerald Ford extended more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse. LINK (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20264712/detroit-councilwoman-to-obama-we-supported-you-now-support-us)

ELVIS
12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
LMAO !!

:biggrin:

Matt White
12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
DETROIT.....the PARIS of the WEST

circa 1930

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMysMDHdb4

Nitro Express
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
She showed us all her poker hand.

These people are going to freak hard when they finally wake up to the very real fact that nobody is going to help them but themselves. The politicians in Washington DC are nothing more than blood suckers. Detroit doesn't have much left to suck from or may I say steal from. If Detroit is going to rise from the ashes it will have to be the result of the people who live in Detroit and nobody else. The question I have to put out here is would you bet your money on the people there?

ELVIS
12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Fuck no...

The one's that know how to fend for themselves left years ago...

Matt White
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Fuck no...

The one's that know how to fend for themselves left years ago...

*The ones who could afford to leave years ago*

DETROIT has to be witnessed to be believed...............

the vacant land could fit the entire city of PARIS in it............

Nitro Express
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
It's a far cry from these days when most people in Detroit had a job to go to and were too busy making money to cause trouble.

FORD
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
So now we get closer to the truth.... Detroit didn't "die". It was murdered by corporate greed.

And it probably didn't help that the city's second most successful industry, Motown Records, also left town, for that matter.

Nitro Express
12-05-2012, 11:11 PM
It's not just corporate greed. It's union greed, drugs, a lack of a solid family structure, a lack of education, a lack of moral ethics, a lack of a work ethic. You just can't nail the whole problem on just corporations outsourcing.

FORD
12-05-2012, 11:43 PM
union greed?

Bullshit.

Nitro Express
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
union greed?

Bullshit.

Oh unions can be as greedy as the corporations. Most the time they just take people's money and have little to show for it.

FORD
12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh unions can be as greedy as the corporations. Most the time they just take people's money and have little to show for it.

Unlike, say, the mammoth corporations, who take the people's money, have little to show for it except outsourced jobs and toxic chinese crap products, and who don't even fucking pay taxes.

None of which happened when the majority of the American working class was unionized, by the way.

Nitro Express
12-06-2012, 12:07 AM
The bottom line is it's greed and the greed has infiltrated into everything at major levels. It's not so black and white as unions are good and corporations are bad. They both can be good or bad depending on the specific situation. If unions make the cost of production or the production uncompetitive they kill the company and sometimes the whole industry. Unions tend to have the attitude there are unlimited assets and rarely see the big economic picture.

BigBadBrian
12-06-2012, 05:04 AM
union greed?

Bullshit.

truth.

Nitro Express
12-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Non-Union Linemen Helping with Sandy Recovery Told They Are Not Welcome in New Jersey (*Update)
Posted on November 2, 2012
Given that South Jersey was plowed under by the universe a few days ago, one would think it could use all the help it could get. Yet if the help is non-union help, they don’t want it.

I am sure that the hundreds of thousands of people without power right now would be pleased to know they are helping out labor’s cause.

Your Unions at work.

Seshmeister
12-06-2012, 05:21 AM
It's a far cry from these days when most people in Detroit had a job to go to and were too busy making money to cause trouble.

Testifying at Nuremberg, convicted Hitler Youth leader Baldur von Schirach who, in his role as military governor of Vienna deported 65,000 Jews to camps in Poland, stated,

"The decisive anti-Semitic book I was reading and the book that influenced my comrades was [...] that book by Henry Ford, "The International Jew." I read it and became anti-Semitic. The book made a great influence on myself and my friends because we saw in Henry Ford the representative of success and also the representative of a progressive social policy."

Nitro Express
12-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Actually the modern Ford motor Company was the result of Henry Ford's son Edsel. Henry wanted to continue to sell the Model T way after it had become obsolete. It was Edsel that moved the company on beyond the Model T. Henry Ford's dislike of bankers and believing it was a jewish conspiracy has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. He designed a great car, got the price down to where the average person could afford it and grew a company that paid the workers twice what the competition paid and paid black people the same rate. The company also provided educational opportunities so employees could better themselves.

It wasn't just the Ford Motor Company providing jobs in Detroit.

Nickdfresh
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM

"The unions" were just going by the contracts that were negotiated long ago. Detroit severaly impaired itself simply by designing bad cars, behind in the market place they thought they could control, and just being stupid. The unions didn't design the Chevy Vega or the Ford Pinto!

Nickdfresh
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Testifying at Nuremberg, convicted Hitler Youth leader Baldur von Schirach who, in his role as military governor of Vienna deported 65,000 Jews to camps in Poland, stated,

"The decisive anti-Semitic book I was reading and the book that influenced my comrades was [...] that book by Henry Ford, "The International Jew." I read it and became anti-Semitic. The book made a great influence on myself and my friends because we saw in Henry Ford the representative of success and also the representative of a progressive social policy."

Ford was a conspiracist fool and was ideologically antisemitic (as opposed to racially). But I'd take whatever some Nazi douche, trying to save his skin, said with a grain of salt. Antisemitism was codified in Germany long before Ford...

ELVIS
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Says the fag who wants the TSA searching truckers...

Nickdfresh
12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
You're just jealous they won't be giving you an internal body cavity search...

jhale667
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
truth.

Nope, even in a bigger font, you're still full of shit.

BigBadBrian
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Nope, even in a bigger font, you're still full of shit.

You have no credibility. Now go check on the tacos, you have customers waiting.

jhale667
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
You have no credibility. Now go check on the tacos, you have customers waiting.

No that'd be YOU, dimwit - and you just proved it by repeating a tired old lie, like the brain-dead douchebag you are. Again, who do you work for? Who do you write for? Who's approached YOU to test their products, or help work out their recording software issues? That's what I thought, asshole. Any time you wanna compare resumes, throw down. Til then - Fuck off.