PDA

View Full Version : And Yet Another Reason To Kill Yerself During The Holidays...Pizza Hut Debuts Perfume

chefcraig
12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Pizza Hut Perfume: For the Fast Food Fan Who Has Everything

By JuJu Kim/TIME (http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/06/pizza-scented-perfume-for-100-lucky-pizza-hut-fans/)

Oh, fer fuck's sake... http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/Large%20Smilies/1lg029why.gif

Who wouldn’t want to smell like a pizza? The dough, the spices, the cheese, the greasy cardboard box — all that olfactory delight might be too much for one fast-food connoisseur to handle. But now you, too, can smell like the inside of a teenage delivery boy’s Honda Civic — if you’re one of the lucky 100 people who are fans of Pizza Hut and also live in Canada.

According to the Globe and Mail, the project started out as a joke by Grip Limited, Pizza Hut Canada’s social media management firm, who asked the chain’s Facebook fans in August to imagine the aroma of a fresh-delivered pie as a perfume — and to name it.

“Do you love the smell of a box of Pizza Hut pizza being opened?” the post read. “We thought so. If that smell was a perfume, what would it be called?” Surprised by the enthusiastic response — fans chimed in with names like ”Grease Lightning,” “Yeast Seduction” and “Eau de Pepperoni” — Grip Limited decided to take the joke a step further by hiring an aromachologist to design a limited-edition scent.

It was, to put it mildly, a challenge. “We did a couple of rounds … trying to get the right smell,” Beverly D’Cruz, marketing director for Pizza Hut Canada, told the Globe and Mail. “All of them were not fun … You’d think cheese smells nice. Not so.”

The final scent — dubbed Pizza Hut Perfume — includes “top notes of freshly baked, hand-tossed dough,” according to a company press release.

At the end of September, the company announced the perfume’s existence on Facebook, offering a free bottle to the first 100 people to respond. In an hour the marketing team was inundated with more than 1,000 requests, four times the anticipated amount, the Globe and Mail reported.

Pizza Hut Canada will ship the scent this week so that the winners will receive their prizes before Christmas, according to the Globe and Mail. The chain also said in the release that it’s possible the perfume could appear in stores in the future.

Though Grip Limited’s tactic may make more than a few noses wrinkle, Pizza Hut isn’t the only culinary company to garner attention with odd aromas. Four years ago, Burger King offered a $4 meat-scented body spray for men, Flame by BK. Before that in 2006, Stilton created a perfume meant to mimic the scent of the pungent blue cheese.

So how does the eau de pizza smell? ”It’s delicious,” Eric Vieira, Grip Limited’s director of digital strategy, told the Globe and Mail, although he quickly acknowledged that it’s not for everyone. ”I hope some poor guy doesn’t give it to his girlfriend,” he said.

DONNIEP
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Pizza perfume? What's next - Kiss cologne? :)

Seshmeister
12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Pizza Hut definitely has a distinct smell as does McDs.

Not that nice a smell I think in both cases it comes from the cooking oil.

The USP of Pizza Hut seems to be that they put a bunch of oil in the dishes when cooking which seems to add an extra 30% calories or so giving them a bit of a fried bread taste to their bases.

Nickdfresh
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I generally hate chains, but I hate pizza chains most of all. Pizza slHut does manage to survive locally, unlike Dominoes - which has failed twice in 20 years in my home town. But I have no idea why anyone would eat there with so many great local pizzerias and Italian restaurants here. I suspect that it is because everyone is near an interstate highway exit and mall, luring out-of-towners more than anything...

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah it's like the McDonalds thing of people wanting something they know the taste of when not at home.

I'm ashamed to say that after days of goat stew in Egypt I once hired a guy to take me in a horse and cart 5 miles to a McDonalds and back... :)

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I never was a fan of McDonald's. It used to be their restaurants and bathrooms were absolutely spotlessly clean and that was consistent store to store. Then they had an outside door off the parking lot right where the bathrooms were. They knew if they had a clean bathroom people would stop to use it and then the smell of the burgers and fries would lure people to buy something. Then they took it further and started putting play lands in to get the kids to drag the parents in. It drove me nuts on family road trips when my kids would beg to eat at McDonald because they wanted to go to the play land. Of course McDonald's put up a big ass sign so you couldn't miss it and signs along the interstate saying it was coming up.

envy_me
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah it's like the McDonalds thing of people wanting something they know the taste of when not at home.

I'm ashamed to say that after days of goat stew in Egypt I once hired a guy to take me in a horse and cart 5 miles to a McDonalds and back... :)

I can relate to that. Well, I've never done it. But I am extremely suspicious of food I am not familiar with. I wouln't wanna eat stuff in Asia or Africa. But in Europe I feel pretty safe.

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I generally hate chains, but I hate pizza chains most of all. Pizza slHut does manage to survive locally, unlike Dominoes - which has failed twice in 20 years in my home town. But I have no idea why anyone would eat there with so many great local pizzerias and Italian restaurants here. I suspect that it is because everyone is near an interstate highway exit and mall, luring out-of-towners more than anything...

There was a Pizza Hut right by Syracuse University that was always busy. I never could figure out why in the hell people were doing business there when there were better pizza and Italian restaurants. I think the reason why was the location. It was close to campus. I know these big chains have people that do nothing else but scout good locations so they are really selling convenience over quality. But if you are eating chain Italian food in the state of New York, you don't know what's going on.

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I never was a fan of McDonald's. It used to be their restaurants and bathrooms were absolutely spotlessly clean and that was consistent store to store. Then they had an outside door off the parking lot right where the bathrooms were. They knew if they had a clean bathroom people would stop to use it and then the smell of the burgers and fries would lure people to buy something. Then they took it further and started putting play lands in to get the kids to drag the parents in. It drove me nuts on family road trips when my kids would beg to eat at McDonald because they wanted to go to the play land. Of course McDonald's put up a big ass sign so you couldn't miss it and signs along the interstate saying it was coming up.

They are like the Pied Piper of Hamelin with kids, they have absolutely cracked the code. We should pay McDonalds to teach kids math because they seem to be geniuses at controlling them.

I only take mine once a month and they get incredibly excited and thank me profusely for a fairly shitty cheap dinner and a plastic toy they throw away 10 minutes later.

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
There was a Pizza Hut right by Syracuse University that was always busy. I never could figure out why in the hell people were doing business there when there were better pizza and Italian restaurants. I think the reason why was the location. It was close to campus. I know these big chains have people that do nothing else but scout good locations so they are really selling convenience over quality. But if you are eating chain Italian food in the state of New York, you don't know what's going on.

I was in one once and noticed on the till at their side there was a handwritten sign that said 'ONLY GIVE SPECIAL 50% OFF 2ND PIZZA OFFER TO CUSTOMER IF THEY ASK FOR IT DO NOT MENTION OTHERWISE.'

I had to laugh, must have been a greedy franchise owner...

envy_me
12-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Don't take your children to McDonalds. It should be age limit for eating there. The few times I eat there my lips totally wrinkle from all the salt in their fries. And I have adult liver and kidneys. Kids organs are much smaller and can't handle all that salt and other crap.

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Well Shesh I can tell you, they eventually grow out of the Happy Meal faze. Our youngest one never bought into the McDonalds thing thank God.

Nickdfresh
12-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Maybe it's the sprawl of New York City (as much as it pains me to say that), but New York State has a very large Italian influence and so many great restaurants. Syracuse is actually named after a city in Sicily IIRC. The thing about Pizza Slut is that they're a stand-alone, eat-in restaurant that one can just go into and get decent slightly Italian-esque type food. And they're cheap with lots of coupons. I haven't been in one in like 15 years. I guess there is something to be said for reasonably consistent comfort food, but you can do better....

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't let them have the fries. They get fruit bags instead in their Happy Meals. The staff nearly always fuck that part of the order up, I think I must be in a tiny minority doing that.

I was playing a gig last week and hadn't eaten all day and had to ram some food down quickly and got this burger 'thing' from Burger King.

I looked it up afterwards and it was over 1000 calories just for a burger... :)

Nickdfresh
12-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't let them have the fries. They get fruit bags instead in their Happy Meals. The staff nearly always fuck that part of the order up, I think I must be in a tiny minority doing that.

I was playing a gig last week and hadn't eaten all day and had to ram some food down quickly and got this burger 'thing' from Burger King.

I looked it up afterwards and it was over 1000 calories just for a burger... :)

I admit I have a weakness for the Whopper... :)

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't take your children to McDonalds. It should be age limit for eating there. The few times I eat there my lips totally wrinkle from all the salt in their fries. And I have adult liver and kidneys. Kids organs are much smaller and can't handle all that salt and other crap.

I grew up in Idaho so I know my french fries and when people say McDonald's are good french fries I laugh. If I'm going south on I-15 I always stop at this hole in the wall on the Ft. Fall Indian Reservation. They make a mean burger and fries. They mix half buffalo meat with half ground beef and they take fresh Idaho spuds and cut them fresh and fry them up and let you salt them the way you want.

Bison is a real lean meat but if you make a patty out of it it's a bit dry. If you go 50/50 with some good quality ground beef man it's a perfect combination. Just enough fat to make it good.

The best food is always in places you would never go in unless you knew the secret. But they are making money and drawing people in with the quality of the food. They keep the overhead down on the location and building and put it into the food. One of my favorite mom and pop italian places looks like a dive. It looks like a gritty beer bar but it's been there as long as I can remember and the mom is still alive making the same famous salad dressing and marinara sauce every morning. They place is always packed and it's in a shitty location in a warehouse district.

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 05:33 PM

The best deal going as far as the price range is concerned. It's more of a real burger than what McDonald's Labs is selling.

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Maybe it's the sprawl of New York City (as much as it pains me to say that), but New York State has a very large Italian influence and so many great restaurants. Syracuse is actually named after a city in Sicily IIRC. The thing about Pizza Slut is that they're a stand-alone, eat-in restaurant that one can just go into and get decent slightly Italian-esque type food. And they're cheap with lots of coupons. I haven't been in one in like 15 years. I guess there is something to be said for reasonably consistent comfort food, but you can do better....

A lot of the students at Syracuse U are from New York City. There just were a lot of good italian and even greek places to eat there. There even was a really good German place . There was some mob activity too. Some of the pizza places were actually laundering mob money and they wanted to keep the places busy all the time so they kept the prices reasonable but the pizza was good. So yeah there was some New York City influence in Syracuse. Most the jews and italians I knew there either came out of NYC or their parents did.

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
The best deal going as far as the price range is concerned. It's more of a real burger than what McDonald's Labs is selling.

They have something called an Angus Burger here which is their premium one and actually not bad.

I think their fries are pretty horrible, much worse than McDs but I rarely buy fast food fries anyway.

Seshmeister
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM

You better watch that doesn't end up in someones signature... :)

Nickdfresh
12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Better than when Elvis quoted me as not being able to finish "Five Guys" (http://www.fiveguys.com/) food... :)

Five Guys is a real burger though, and their fries are excellent as everything is fresh and not frozen...

envy_me
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Better than when Elvis quoted me as not being able to finish "Five Guys" (http://www.fiveguys.com/) food... :)

Five Guys is a real burger though, and their fries are excellent as everything is fresh and not frozen...

Were you the one who said something about my nostrils? Let's ask five guys about yours :D

Nitro Express
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
They have something called an Angus Burger here which is their premium one and actually not bad.

I think their fries are pretty horrible, much worse than McDs but I rarely buy fast food fries anyway.

Black angus is a breed of cow. They are all black. It seems to be kind of a current marketing gimmick to say it's angus beef. We have raised angus and red heifers and they taste the same to me. What makes the difference in taste is what the cow is fed, it's living conditions, how it's butchered, and how the meat is aged, and what cut it is. In most cases the cheap cuts go into ground beef. Usually the premium ground beef is an arm roast ground up. In short, unless you saw the process, you really don't know what your are getting and maybe it's good that you don't know. LOL!