PDA

View Full Version : T-Mac to Houston..

Sarge
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Agent: McGrady-Francis trade not done but close
June 22, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets point guard Steve Francis could soon be traded to the Orlando Magic for Tracy McGrady, the Houston Chronicle reported in its online edition Monday night.

Advertisement

Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, told the newspaper that Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson told him the trade was not complete but was close.

"I spoke to Carroll and it was not a done deal," Fried said. "It's close. It's subject to a few contingencies."

He said for the deal to work there will need to be some maneuvering involving Tuesday's expansion draft. The newspaper reported the deal also could include Rockets Kelvin Cato and Cuttino Mobley and bring forward Juwan Howard from the Magic. It said other than Francis and McGrady, players involved could change depending on salary-cap requirements that were still uncertain.

Magic spokesman Joel Glass said Monday that the team has no comment on the report.

Francis wants to remain in Houston.

Steve Francis isn't happy about the possibility of being traded to rebuilding Orlando. (Getty Images)
"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis said. "Obviously that's not the direction they want to go. I still think we could be a very good team.

"I'm not crying. Like I told you before, I know this is a business. Things like that happen. I'm not mad. I'm not upset. This is what they're trying to do. But like I said, I still think we could be something."

Francis wouldn't comment about the possibility of going to the Magic.

Fried told the newspaper that Francis wasn't happy about the prospect of playing for the Magic in a rebuilding situation.

"Steve's preference is to not go to Orlando," Fried said. "Steve's tasted the playoffs. (The Rockets) got a series under their belts. He was looking forward to going further with the same Rockets team but with another year of experience together. This is certainly not his preference. He loves Houston."

Francis has averaged 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds in five seasons with the Rockets.

McGrady led the NBA in scoring the past two seasons, averaging 28 points per game last season.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7440929

Sarge
06-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Orlando isn't interested in building a championship..
They just want to make money,,.

Snoo
06-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, if those rumors are true...that'll be money to pay Shaq.