PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell releases a "Box Set" after just two shitty albums??

FORD
12-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Didn't the Chedmaster say back in 1996 that he resisted the Van Halen/Van Hagar BOV1 because once a band starts pimping their old catalog to make money, it's a sign that they're washed up??

http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/chickenboxset.jpg

http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/chickenlv.jpg

More velveeta soaked hypocrisy from the capri pants clown.....

sadaist
12-08-2012, 04:42 PM
hypocrisy.

Fucking ridiculous. And that's all I got to say about this.

*Not you Ford.

envy_me
12-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Hahahahaha! :lmao:

I feel so sorry for Satriani, though :-/ Joe, you can do SO MUCH better...

Kristy
12-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Limited Edition -as in we can't give them away

Zing!
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
The label says "...and their follow-up masterpiece 'III'..."

:smiley-lol:

FORD
12-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Here's what's even dumber yet....

Why is the Chickenshit "live" album called "LV"? Is that shorthand for "live"? Was it recorded in Las Vegas?

Nope. Notice how their other albums are in Roman numerals?

Cheddy McDonald pimping his own stupid worn out cliches again......

78/84 guy
12-08-2012, 05:19 PM

It's called his solo career ! Flying In A Blue Dream is an awesome album.

envy_me
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
And Extremist and Surfing with the ailien.
I actually have Extremist signed by him :-) I would show a picture here, but my name is written there. Warf and Donnie can testify, they can see it :-)

twonabomber
12-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Didn't the Chedmaster say back in 1996 that he resisted the Van Halen/Van Hagar BOV1 because once a band starts pimping their old catalog to make money, it's a sign that they're washed up??

http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/chickenboxset.jpg

http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/chickenlv.jpg

More velveeta soaked hypocrisy from the capri pants clown.....

Maybe he'll blame it on the record company. "Hey man, Capitol put all those hits records out, I didn't have anything to do with it!"

78/84 guy
12-08-2012, 06:35 PM
And Extremist and Surfing with the ailien.
I actually have Extremist signed by him :-) I would show a picture here, but my name is written there. Warf and Donnie can testify, they can see it :-)

Crystal Planet was also good. But I was kind of bored with the last couple. Seemed like he hit a rut.

Little Texan
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Who releases a box set after two shitty albums? A marginally mediocre talent with an enormously overblown sense of self-importance and an ego the size of Texas, that's who.

fraroc
12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone who believes that Sammy had more class than Dave honestly needs to shut the fuck up and look at what the asshole is doing. Chickenfoot was founded as a giant "fuck you" to Eddie and Dave. The second album is called Chickenfoot III which makes him look fucking stupid and unable to do simple mathematics (I hate math with a passion, but I could at least do it.)

So Sam has more class than Dave? Dave is 100000000000000000000000000000000% class, Sam is a classless super-Lead Singer's Disease-egotistical cunt.

FORD
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
The second album is called Chickenfoot III which makes him look fucking stupid and unable to do simple mathematics (I hate math with a passion, but I could at least do it.)

Not to mention it's also a total ripoff of the Traveling Wilburys, who titled their second album "Volume III" some 20 years ago.

But at least the Wilburys actually had an excuse to use the different number.... they actually had a second album well underway, with 60's singer Del Shannon replacing the late Roy Orbison. Until Shannon himself died, and then the band figured that God/the universe/Krishna (George Harrison was in this band, after all) was trying to tell them something. So they eventually scrapped the album and started completely over with the remaining 4 members.

Nobody in Chickenshit died, that I'm aware of. And it would be in bad taste for me to add anything further to this sentence, so I'll just stop there......

Terry
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM

I don't really feel sorry for Satriani.

The only compelling stuff he's ever been a part of are the albums released under his own name, which are comprised mostly of guitar wankery.

In any given band he's been in, he's either brought on as a hired gun or a replacement...and has as yet to write a song that resonates one second beyond the immediate listening experience.

I feel pretty much the same toward Vai, although I liked a decent chunk of the stuff he did with Roth.

I mean, truth be told, Sammy Hagar has way more ability in the songwriting department than Satriani could ever hope to have...and having Sammy Hagar as the best songwriter in a band means you're pretty much fucked before even walking into the first rehearsal.

Terry
12-08-2012, 08:11 PM
That's part and parcel of why when everyone was initially referring to Chickenfoot as a "supergroup" I was confused: are the drums the best aspect of the RHCPs? When one thinks of Van Halen, is Mike Anthony usually an afterthought, considered after exhausting all talking points regarding Eddie's playing and Roth as a frontman? Satriani had vast technical abilities most rock fans were aware of long before Chickenfoot was formed, but hadn't come up with a single decent song in the traditional rock combo format...so why was it necessarily good news that he was playing in Chickenfoot?

That lineup, even on paper, had very little to recommend that any decent tunes would result from it...thus the trite nature of the eventual output was no shock.

ashstralia
12-08-2012, 08:51 PM

I know, I've met the dude. One of the greatest ever.
If he and Jon Mover and Stu Hamm just got a good singer...Now THAT would've rocked.

Nitro Express
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Satch is a good player but never really moved me. I like great players doing their thing in great bands. I like clever and inspirational songs that let everyone show their stuff. It's so much batter than solo wanking.

DONNIEP
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
At least Mikey's sitting off to the side. Alone. I don't want the guy to be out of work but the dude needs a better gig. Like...

Hardrock69
12-09-2012, 05:45 AM
This is pathetic.

As if Spambot thinks releasing this is somehow gonna give him street cred...:lmao:

envy_me
12-09-2012, 05:50 AM
I know, I've met the dude. One of the greatest ever.
If he and Jon Mover and Stu Hamm just got a good singer...Now THAT would've rocked.

And he is so humble and sweet and nice. All the qualities I like in people.

The first adult song I ever liked was Always with me, always with you. I was 5 years old and my brother played it on repeat 24/7. I hated it the first couple of months, but then it grew on me. I still love it so much.
That stuff shapes you.

philouze
12-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Actually, I'd feel sorry if Vai played in that crappy band. I don't feel sorry for Joe.

ashstralia
12-09-2012, 06:22 AM
He's probly making 5k a gig towards the future... good on him.

Satch's great music stands by itself. He is without doubt one of the best guitarists ever.

Nickdfresh
12-09-2012, 10:17 AM
This absurdity reminds me of dialogue from Tommy Boy:

Tommy: Chicken wings! Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Ted Nelson: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Buildin' model airplanes!" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off your dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

clarathecarrot
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I believe because if my realistic approach to the unreal that a BOX SET!!! is to be percieved and established as in refference to a BOX!!!

Now a BOX had and has, more than four corners.... DON'T make me do the math!!!

It is usually a box containing what I would call 4 things as in that a box when viewed from one side is a square.

A box set in the real world of carrots would have four items inside it.

Just like Spammulus to cut corners and dupe the public ..like joining the hottest band in the land and riding that fame for 30 years.

78/84 guy
12-09-2012, 11:40 AM
The bottom line is they repackage the first album with the second one to boost album sales. If you want the "live" album you have to buy it with the 2 you already have. If your a fan. I did buy the dvd out of borDUMB they put out. I like Joe & Chad. It was o.k. I havent watched it since. AC/DC did the same thing with the Bonfire box set dedicated to Bon. They put Back In Black in it. Stupid. It should have had the Let There Be Rock DVD in it. Who the fuck didn't have Back In Black at this point ? If you like AC/DC. At the end of the day it's all marketing.

DLR Bridge
12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Chickenfoot already double dipped on their first cd. They released it a second time with an extra song and interview videos, if I'm not mistaken. I guess they're taking their merchandising cues from George Lucas.

78/84 guy
12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Chickenfoot already double dipped on their first cd. They released it a second time with an extra song and interview videos, if I'm not mistaken. I guess they're taking their merchandising cues from George Lucas.

They did. It had a white cover.

VHscraps
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Wasn't there a real glut of Hagar compilations from his solo years as well?

I remember reading that he took $2m for agreeing to promote - FOR ONE SINGLE WEEK of radio and press interviews only - the Geffen compilation that came out the year after. How the hell Geffen coulda made anything on it, I don't know.

That's what I'd call cashing in on your new found success in a band whose fanbase was established through the good efforts of others.

Seriously, though, you ought to read his book. It's largely about his financial deals. The Cabo thing was just one in a long line of business ventures - owning travel companies, fire protection services, etc - that meant he was probably already richer than VH when he joined 'em, even though he was selling a lot less records. He's been in it for the cash for a long time. In a way, I get it - he came from a dirt poor background, and the need to make cash is maybe derply rooted in trying to never end up back in that place; but it's the kind of phoney 'I'd never rip my fans off' stuff he comes out with that rankles.

Seems to me that this is what he has always been doing.

Nickdfresh
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe is a weird way it all makes sense as there are so many people out there who didn't but either album. Not they can continue to not buy both albums together... :yo:

DLR Bridge
12-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Seriously, though, you ought to read his book. It's largely about his financial deals. The Cabo thing was just one in a long line of business ventures - owning travel companies, fire protection services, etc - that meant he was probably already richer than VH when he joined 'em, even though he was selling a lot less records. He's been in it for the cash for a long time.

I read the book. It's amazing what an absolute jerk he allows himself to come off as over his finances. He relishes the fact that Ed and Alex backed out of the Cabo deal because they had cold feet about there ever being a return on their investment. It was a rocky, slow start, but when it started to take off, he loved the fact that those guys were missing out. I'm amazed he wasn't out of the band sooner, to be honest.

Coyote
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Nobody in Chickenshit died, that I'm aware of. And it would be in bad taste for me to add anything further to this sentence, so I'll just stop there......

A couple of careers might've died, but who am I to say anything...

78/84 guy
12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
His book was sad. It was all about making money. Not music. The guy turned into a asshole. Maybe he always was one. I was a fan of some of his stuff. But not much anymore. I remember he ripped Dave for Your Filthy Mouth when it came out. Hell I agreed with him to a point. But hey Sam take a listen to a few of your last releases with that garage band the Wabo's. Garbage. And I mean garbage !

DLR Bridge
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
We're talking serious garbage here.

Zing!
12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm amazed he wasn't out of the band sooner, to be honest.

I seem to recall an EVH interview around the time of the '96 fiasco when he was asked: "When did you realize things weren't working with Sammy?" And Ed answered: "OU812."

envy_me
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I seem to recall an EVH interview around the time of the '96 fiasco when he was asked: "When did you realize things weren't working with Sammy?" And Ed answered: "OU812."

I don't believe everything Ed says. It sounds as if he made that up afterwards. Just as he did with all the shit talk about Dave "THIS is right, THIS is the real Van Halen, DLR was just a warm up" or something like that. Ed isn't a reliable source to me.

78/84 guy
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
No he's not. He should just stick to playing guitar.

envy_me
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
No he's not. He should just stick to playing guitar.

Exactly. Just shut up, Ed. He says whatever sounds right in certain situation. Who knows what he really thinks.

DONNIEP
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Speaking of Ed, the other night I came across an old interview I don't think I'd seen before. It was prior to the III tour and Ed and Al were being interviewed by an Aussie chap. Man, those guys ripped both Sam and Dave. Ed called 'em both liars. If you haven't seen it you should check it out. Poor Eddie - mean ol Dave changed DTNA into a piece of shite - yeah, right.

Oh yeah, and Sammy sucks :)

DLR Bridge
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM

That sounds familiar. I'd still bet that, if it all blew up with Hagar in say '89, they would refuse to eat crow and reconcile with Dave.

DLR Bridge
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
He says whatever sounds right in certain situation. So do about 9 billion other people in the world. I don't mean to down play his roll in the destruction of his band, but Dave did leave. Ed handled it extremely poorly in the press in '86, but years later, said he knew he said things he shouldn't have said when it all went down.

But '96 though, was an exercise in nuking a freshly rebuilt bridge. I'll never understand wtf the brothers were thinking then, with the whole Mitch/Gary/Dave Ray Danniels thing.

Zing!
12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't believe everything Ed says. It sounds as if he made that up afterwards. Just as he did with all the shit talk about Dave "THIS is right, THIS is the real Van Halen, DLR was just a warm up" or something like that. Ed isn't a reliable source to me.

No doubt - I don't believe Ed when he's talking either. But sometimes, in the bitterness, you might find a kernel of truth here and there. Ed was reasonably honest in interviews up until about 1980 or so (pretty much whenever he met Val). From 1981 to 2010 (or whenever he finally got sober) he's lived in his own drunken, insecure world. I think he's been more honest in the past year than he has in the last thirty years combined.

FORD
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
So do about 9 bilion other people in the world. I don't mean to down play his roll in the destruction of his band, but Dave did leave. Ed handled it extremely poorly in the press in '86, but years later, said he knew he said things he shouldn't have said when it all went down.

But '96 though, was an exercise in nuking a freshly rebuilt bridge. I'll never understand wtf the brothers were thinking then with the whole Mitch/Gary/Dave Ray Danniels Thing.

They weren't thinking at all. They were letting Danniels think for them. And even the failure of VDIII and the low ticket sales for the resulting tour didn't wake them up.... they had to wait until the second album with Cherone was finished, and for WB records to reject it, before the reality really sunk in. And then Gary and Danniels were gone. But sadly the roller coaster ride from Hell was just beginning.....

Terry
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Wasn't there a real glut of Hagar compilations from his solo years as well?

I remember reading that he took $2m for agreeing to promote - FOR ONE SINGLE WEEK of radio and press interviews only - the Geffen compilation that came out the year after. How the hell Geffen coulda made anything on it, I don't know.

That's what I'd call cashing in on your new found success in a band whose fanbase was established through the good efforts of others.

Seriously, though, you ought to read his book. It's largely about his financial deals. The Cabo thing was just one in a long line of business ventures - owning travel companies, fire protection services, etc - that meant he was probably already richer than VH when he joined 'em, even though he was selling a lot less records. He's been in it for the cash for a long time. In a way, I get it - he came from a dirt poor background, and the need to make cash is maybe derply rooted in trying to never end up back in that place; but it's the kind of phoney 'I'd never rip my fans off' stuff he comes out with that rankles.

Seems to me that this is what he has always been doing.

[Hagar's] book did have a lot of anecdotes and stories concerning his various business deals and financial wranglings...probably as much if not more than his stories concerning making music.

Unlike Roth's book, which had stories of the music business which were actually informative (re: the workings of rock economics), Hagar's stories of his business dealings were seemingly included to make him look like a successful businessman...which he certainly is.

In all fairness, though, Hagar is FAR from the only aging rock musician to make cheese-flavored cash grabs...said grabs usually getting more and more desperate as the star ages. I mean, in comparison to Aerosmith or KISS, Hagar appears almost authentic.

DONNIEP
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I gotta agree with Zing. This time around Ed even said some of the songs with Sam were good songs. Now, I don't agree but at least Ed didn't take a giant shit on the whole lot. Which is what he normally does when it's new singer/new singer/old new singer time. It's that dismissal of everything before which always got to me.

And since we're off-off topic for a minute - somebody remind me whose idea it was to remove Mikey from the album covers. Was that just a webmaster fuck up or what? I honestly can't remember.

envy_me
12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
They weren't thinking at all. They were letting Danniels think for them. And even the failure of VDIII and the low ticket sales for the resulting tour didn't wake them up.... they had to wait until the second album with Cherone was finished, and for WB records to reject it, before the reality really sunk in. And then Gary and Danniels were gone. But sadly the roller coaster ride from Hell was just beginning.....

You nailed it again!

Terry
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

And this was a period (1996-1998) where Ed was supposedly sober...yet making worse decisions than ever...they made one good decision in 1996 - shitcanning Hagar and working with Dave. The next time they made another good decision was ten years later...by working with Dave...again.

POJO_Risin
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Box Set?!? Are we talking about twins?!?

POJO_Risin
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
[Hagar's] book did have a lot of anecdotes and stories concerning his various business deals and financial wranglings...probably as much if not more than his stories concerning making music.

Unlike Roth's book, which had stories of the music business which were actually informative (re: the workings of rock economics), Hagar's stories of his business dealings were seemingly included to make him look like a successful businessman...which he certainly is.

In all fairness, though, Hagar is FAR from the only aging rock musician to make cheese-flavored cash grabs...said grabs usually getting more and more desperate as the star ages. I mean, in comparison to Aerosmith or KISS, Hagar appears almost authentic.

Authentic?!?! I'm sure if u measured shit smell, it would vary from critter to critter...but at the end of the day...it all stinks, because its shit...

ThrillsNSpills
12-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Wasn't this a limited release of 10,000 copies in Europe or something?

calculated marketing perhaps?
better grab it quick before it runs out. :)
from the singer that got VH to open for Bon Jovi overseas.

pretty frightening