PDA

View Full Version : George Will: ‘Quite Literally, The Opposition To Gay Marriage Is Dying’

FORD
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
George Will: ‘Quite Literally, The Opposition To Gay Marriage Is Dying’
by Anjali Sareen | 11:58 am, December 9th, 2012

Conservative commentator George Will told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s This Week Sunday that political hostility toward same-sex marriage in America is diminishing: “Quite literally, the opposition to gay marriage is dying.”

Stephanopoulos asked panelists how they believed the Supreme Court would rule on two separate gay marriage cases it agreed to hear this week. One of the cases examines California’s Prop 8, which bans same-sex marriage in the state, and by examining this law, the court can determine whether gay marriage is a right under the U.S. constitution. Will said he believed it was possible SCOTUS would say “it’s not necessary for us to go here,” because it’s being decided amongst the states, but according to him, it was more likely that they would endorse gay marriage. Will went on,

“On the other hand, they could say, ‘this is now safe to look at this, because there is something like an emerging consensus.”

Will implied that it’s older Americans who mostly oppose gay marriage and as they pass, so does the opposition. Stephanopoulos shared a poll indicating that approval of same-sex marriage is increasing across the nation and James Carville, another panelist, told him he thought Will’s logic was “absolutely correct.” Even Mary Matalin, conservative political consultant, agreed with Will and Carville, saying it makes sense for the Supreme Court to endorse gay marriage in the face of changing public opinion because, “Americans have common sense.”

Watch the full clip below, via ABC:

Terry
12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Saw it in real time this morning...was mildly interesting to hear Will say it (although not as interesting as, say, seeing someone like Limbaugh saying it), but then again Will has always been fairly moderate in tone.

Not a shock that the numbers of people opposed are dropping. As a heterosexual white male, when I see people on tv or run across someone who in the course of conversation reveals their opposition to gay marriage, I'm now of the mindset that people who are homophobic have much deeper-seated psychological problems of the sort that many (including then-reputable national psychiatric journals) used to accuse homosexuals of having.

At least on cultural issues, large amounts of people who supported McCain and then went on to support Romney are finding themselves in a shrinking minority in terms of mentality. I aliken it to Archie Bunker sitting in his living room complaining year-after-year about how minorities are slowly taking over America.

It's more sad than anything else, really.

Nitro Express
12-09-2012, 10:22 PM
If gay people want to put half their gross assets at risk, fine with me. If a church wants to not consider a legal civil union a marriage that's fine with me too. Just leave each other the hell alone and we will be much happier.

BigBadBrian
12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
“Quite literally, the opposition to gay marriage is dying.”

That's good news for FORD and gayhale, I guess.

Seshmeister
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The funny thing that the anti homo marriage Christians never seem to acknowledge is that Jesus wasn't against gay marriage, he was against ALL marriage.

They should go read their book of wicked superstitions. :)

ELVIS
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Drunken bullshit raving alert !!

ELVIS
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Raving drunken bullshit alert !!

ELVIS
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Bullshit drunken raving alert !!

ELVIS
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
:biggrin:

chefcraig
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM
At this point in life, I'm of the mindset that says if you want to get involved in a legally binding contract with another person over a dubious concept (such as love), be you straight or bent, then have at it. Of course, your odds for success are right up there with winning the state lottery, but if you want to engage in such irrational behavior, go right ahead.

Just be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Terry
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
At this point in life, I'm of the mindset that says if you want to get involved in a legally binding contract with another person over a dubious concept (such as love), be you straight or bent, then have at it. Of course, your odds for success are right up there with winning the state lottery, but if you want to engage in such irrational behavior, go right ahead.

Just be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

I wish for the girl in your avatar...

FORD
12-10-2012, 10:49 PM
The funny thing that the anti homo marriage Christians never seem to acknowledge is that Jesus wasn't against gay marriage, he was against ALL marriage.

They should go read their book of wicked superstitions. :)

Don't remember Jesus saying anything like that.

Paul did though. He pretty much had a hangup about sex of any kind.... gay...straight....married or unmarried.... he thought it was all "wrong". And the Catholic church built an entire religious hierarchy on that crazy idea.

(well except for the ones who fuck children anyway)

Dr. Love
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I find it as bizarre that Sesh (and most devout athiests and God-haters) know so much about the Bible as I do that most devout Christians know so little.

I just can't decide which aspect of that has more ironicy.

SunisinuS
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
I find it as bizarre that Sesh (and most devout athiests and God-haters) know so much about the Bible as I do that most devout Christians know so little.

I just can't decide which aspect of that has more ironicy.

Ok best Gif (fiG) Sig yet love....reminds me of giving birth.... :baby:

I don not even knows what you dun said above,....hehe.

:bump:

FORD
12-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Most fundagelicals haven't actually read the Bible. They carry it to church every Sunday (and possibly the Wednesday night prayer meetings) and maybe open to read along with the cherry picked handful of verses that their pastor bases his sermon on. Which are usually taken out of context and twisted to fit a right wing political agenda.

But as far as reading the complete Old and New Testaments.... doubt they ever have, or ever will.

Maybe atheists just read the Bible like it was any other book?

sadaist
12-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Most fundagelicals haven't actually read the Bible. They carry it to church every Sunday (and possibly the Wednesday night prayer meetings) and maybe open to read along with the cherry picked handful of verses that their pastor bases his sermon on. Which are usually taken out of context and twisted to fit a right wing political agenda.

But as far as reading the complete Old and New Testaments.... doubt they ever have, or ever will.

I threw my bible away in March of 2010. Would rather have a Dr Suess book on my nightstand. Does just as much good plus it rhymes.

Seshmeister
12-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Don't remember Jesus saying anything like that.

Paul did though. He pretty much had a hangup about sex of any kind.... gay...straight....married or unmarried.... he thought it was all "wrong". And the Catholic church built an entire religious hierarchy on that crazy idea.

(well except for the ones who fuck children anyway)

Jesus himself never marries, and only comments on marriage when he commands his followers to abandon their wives and children to follow him (see Matthew 19:29; Mark 10:28-30; Luke 9:57-62). Jesus orders his followers to abandon their families. What kind of family values do Christians think they are getting from Jesus anyhow? To emphasize the point, Jesus even takes the time to provide instruction to his followers on how to divorce their wives (see Matthew 19:5; Mark 10:8).

As for Paul, you nailed it.

In modern terms Paul is the cult leader. He is the one that took some stories and built a religion out of it and through him come a lot of these sexual hangups which have dogged Christianity ever since.

As is often pointed out, the Jesus character doesn't even mention homosexuals never mind criticize anal escapades and suchlike.

Seshmeister
12-11-2012, 04:47 AM

Actually sitting down and reading the thing rather than the 'cosy' little passages the preachers read out converts a lot of people from agnosticism to plain atheism.

I think that's part of the reason the church used to set fire to people who made it easier for people to read it in their own language.

If the god of the bible exists then he is a total twat and you can quote me on that. :)

BigBadBrian
12-11-2012, 06:13 AM
I find it as bizarre that Sesh (and most devout athiests and God-haters) know so much about the Bible

Don't worry...it's quite evident from his posts here that Sesh really doesn't know ANYTHING about the Bible or Christianity, though i do agree with him in the religion poll thread that Mormonism IS NOT a denomination of Christianity.

tbone888
12-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Lots of stereotypes/hatred here as well :(

jhale667
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Don't worry...it's quite evident from his posts here that Sesh really doesn't know ANYTHING about the Bible or Christianity, though i do agree with him in the religion poll thread that Mormonism IS NOT a denomination of Christianity.

What's really quite evident is the fact that you haven't the slightest clue what the fuck you're talking about 99% of the time, yet you prattle on. Sesh has forgotten more about the Bible and Christianity than you'll ever know.

Seshmeister
12-11-2012, 09:55 PM
To be fair I have forgotten a lot... :)

I never post expecting to influence Brian really, I think he is too far gone on this subject. I post for the people with open minds who may read one one of my posts on this and then go look at it themselves and make up their own minds.

Because most of us got some religious indoctrination in childhood there are sometimes things that are right there in front of you that you totally miss until you take a tiny step back.

Like recently I've been thinking about how astonishing it is that preachers,priests and the Jesus character constantly use the metaphor of sheep and shepherds.

Sheep are just about the dumbest animals anyone of that time would have contact with. Unthinking easily led dumb animals.

Next time you here a pastor talk about his flock think about it that way for a minute.

jhale667
12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
But you're supposed to think of yourself as a sheep, yes? Wasn't the original sin the (metaphoric) pursuit of knowledge? I mean, look how thinking for themselves went for humanity! Jeebus take the wheel!