PDA

View Full Version : HIV virus used to cure cancer

Little Texan
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Link (http://rt.com/news/girl-leukemia-treatment-hiv-702/)

Doctors have successfully used a disabled version of HIV to modify a 7-year-old leukemia patient’s white blood cells to attack her cancer. The breakthrough procedure could potentially replace bone marrow transplant as a leukemia treatment.

Emma Whitehead was selected as a patient for the experimental technique after two years of battling with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, the New York Times reported. Chemotherapy failed to either cure the disease or result in a period of remission long enough for a bone marrow transplant.

The process was previously tested only on adult patients. In April, Whitehead became the first child to undergo the treatment, her medical team revealed during an annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology in Atlanta last weekend. She was also the first patient to be treated for her kind of leukemia.

Doctors from the University of Pennsylvania and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia manipulated Whitehead’s immune system to make it target cancer cells. They took a batch of her own T cells – a kind of white blood cell – and genetically engineered them to kill the B cells – another kind of white blood cell – responsible for her disease.

To do this, the doctors used a modified and disabled form of HIV, the virus responsible for AIDS, to alter the T cells’ genes, making them produce a protein called a chimeric antigen receptor on their surface. This artificial protein matches another protein encountered only on the surface of B cells. The alteration allows T cells to attach to B cells, and destroy them. The genetically engineered T cells were then injected back into Whitehead’s blood, where they could reproduce on their own.

Two months after the procedure, testing revealed there was no sign of cancer in the girl’s body. The altered T cells were still present in her blood, but in smaller quantities than during treatment. Six months later, Whitehead is still in remission and is now back in school.

The experimental treatment has not yet been fully tested: Whitehead nearly died when the procedure caused a spontaneous high fever, and other near-fatal symptoms.

Not all of the 12 patients in the clinical trial responded to the treatment as well as Whitehead: Three adults with chronic leukemia had complete remissions; four improved their condition, but did not beat the disease completely; one is still in too early a stage to evaluate; two patients saw no effect from the treatment; another child initially responded, but eventually relapsed.

The treatment also kills healthy B cells along with malignant ones, making patients vulnerable to certain types of infections; patients require regular treatments of immune globulins to prevent illness.

T cell therapy appears to be a promising medical breakthrough that may replace older bone marrow treatments, the researchers said. They plan to conduct additional trials with at least a half-dozen patients over the next year.

SunisinuS
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM
It will not last long and this is why....it is non-selective and when it get's eaten like all proteins we see anemia.

sadaist
12-11-2012, 02:40 AM
The cure for everything is somewhere on the Earth. But I wonder why cancer is so rampant now. Are we just diagnosing it better? Or is it due to all the pollutants and mutant crap in our water & food supply?

Kristy
12-11-2012, 03:00 AM
Really? Can we be cured from the likes of the GOP?

Nitro Express
12-11-2012, 03:45 AM
From the headlines it almost sounds like we cured the patient of cancer by killing them wit the HIV virus. Kind of like fixing the poorly running car by driving it off a cliff.

Nitro Express
12-11-2012, 03:48 AM
The cure for everything is somewhere on the Earth. But I wonder why cancer is so rampant now. Are we just diagnosing it better? Or is it due to all the pollutants and mutant crap in our water & food supply?

It could be a lot of things. We are exposed to a lot more things than people were 100 years ago. We live in a literal sea of electronic interference, additives in our food, chemicals in our homes and in our clothes. Some say it's the plastics and aluminum our food is stored in. Lot's of variables.

Seshmeister
12-11-2012, 05:08 AM

If you live long enough you will get a cancer.

People are living a lot longer.

Nitro Express
12-11-2012, 05:36 AM

People are living a lot longer.

I think that has a lot to do with it. I can remember my grandmother telling me every year there was at least one kid she knew at school that died from some childhood disease or just getting sick. The only kid I knew in grade school that died got struck by lightning and that was the the only kid I knew that died in grade school. Death from disease was a lot more common only a few decades back.

Living longer has it's challenges. Not outliving your money. People are going to have to work longer and then the question is, are you going to be healthy enough to do that? One thing I see now is modern medicine keeping people alive that are pretty much mentally gone. A few years back they would have just died of old age sooner. Sadly in a way, when people live too long they lose their dignity because they just mentally and physically fall apart more than just dying without having to go through being stuck in adult diapers and pissing out of a tube while not knowing where they are or what's going on. Sometimes living longer isn't the big blessing people make it to be. It's not how long you live its the quality of life you have.

DONNIEP
12-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Mutant crap in the air, soil and water - Thanks to all the gubment nuclear testing. And simply living longer. We ain't built to last

Nitro Express
12-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Mutant crap in the air, soil and water - Thanks to all the gubment nuclear testing. And simply living longer. We ain't built to last

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you will get cancer.

sadaist
12-11-2012, 11:31 AM

I got mine at age 28. That's not very long.

Kristy
12-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Really? I got mine from first hearing Sammy Hagar.

Dave's Bitch
12-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Seriously there are some things you should not joke about.Something as trivial as a singer you don't like,Let's just say that was in very poor taste

Yount
12-12-2012, 03:42 AM
It's not how long you live its the quality of life you have.

Don't say that! I'm smoking a ciggy whist drinking a beer looking at two screens, living under some big-ass power lines, my phone is in my pocket next to my left testicle, and I'm eating a microwave dinner and I've got a sunburn.

Sometimes I think it's the worrying about it that gives you cancer!

ELVIS
12-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Maybe you should get AIDS to get rid of it...

Angel
12-12-2012, 08:53 AM
They had a report up here a little while ago about a cure for cancer. But it's a cheap old drug so no patent so none of the big pharmacy will do the R&D...no profit.

Seshmeister
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I got mine at age 28. That's not very long.

Shitty luck.

It's like every year you roll 4 dice and if you get 5 or under you get cancer. If you smoke then you only get to roll 3 dice.

Those are just numbers I pulled out my ass but it's all just a lottery which you can effect a little but not that much especially if you have bad genes.

What is unique about you and all of us is that we could technically trace our family tree all the way back to pondlife nillions of years ago.

Unfortunately that only gives you an evolutionary pass of on average pretty good genes.

Once you get older though who is to say that you don't come from a massive long line thousands of years ago that always die when they get to 45 or whatever.

Nitro Express
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Don't say that! I'm smoking a ciggy whist drinking a beer looking at two screens, living under some big-ass power lines, my phone is in my pocket next to my left testicle, and I'm eating a microwave dinner and I've got a sunburn.

Sometimes I think it's the worrying about it that gives you cancer!

Amazing how all the stuff you worry about never happens but the shit you never thought of or stuff you thought was safe is what burns your ass.

sadaist
12-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Shitty luck..

I view it as great luck in a way.

My particular cancer is diagnosed 7,500 times per year in the US. So to me, that means every year 7,500 have to get it. By me getting it I took 1 off the list & freed up some young 9 year old from getting it. That's how I saw it in my mind and I was happy to take one of those 7500 slots in palce of a kid that should be outside laughing with their dog....not in a chemo ward all day.

*I know it really doesn't work that way (probably). But it made me feel better about it :-)