PDA

View Full Version : Geminds Meteor Shower Peaks This Thursday Night/Friday Morning

Hardrock69
12-11-2012, 02:23 AM
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/09dec_rockcomet/

Rock Comet Meteor Shower

Dec. 9, 2012: Every year in mid-December, astronomers look up in the sky and witness a mystery. It announces itself with a flurry of shooting stars. For several nights in a row, dozens to hundreds of meteors per hour cut across the glistening constellations of winter, each one a little puzzle waiting to be solved.

"It's the Geminid meteor shower--set to peak on Dec. 13th and 14th," says Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "Although the Geminids come every year, we still don't fully understand them."

Most meteor showers are caused by icy comets, which spew jets of meteoroids when they are heated by sunlight. The Geminids are different. The parent is not a comet but a weird rocky object named 3200 Phaethon.

When 3200 Phaethon was discovered in 1983 by NASA's IRAS satellite, astronomers quickly realized that they had found the source of the Geminids. The orbit of 3200 Phaethon was such a close match to that of the Geminid debris stream, no other conclusion was possible. Yet here was a puzzler: Everything about 3200 Phaethon suggests it is an asteroid.

In fact, 3200 Phaethon resembles main belt asteroid Pallas so much, it could well be a 5-kilometer chip off that 544 km block. "If 3200 Phaethon broke apart from asteroid Pallas, as some researchers believe, then Geminid meteoroids might be debris from the breakup," speculates Cooke.

There is, however, another possibility: Perhaps 3200 Phaethon is a "rock comet."

A "rock comet" is a new kind of object being discussed by some astronomers. It is, essentially, an asteroid that comes very close to the sun--so close that solar heating scorches dusty debris right off its rocky surface. Rock comets could thus grow comet-like tails made of gravely debris that produce meteor showers on Earth.

Could this be the answer?

To test the idea, researchers turned to NASA's twin STEREO spacecraft, which are designed to study solar activity. In June 2009, STEREO watched 3200 Phaethon passing only 15 solar diameters from the sun's surface. What happened next surprised UCLA planetary scientists David Jewitt and Jing Li, who analyzed the data. "

3200 Phaethon unexpectedly brightened by a factor of two," they wrote. "The most likely explanation is that Phaethon ejected dust, perhaps in response to a break-down of surface rocks (through thermal fracture and decomposition cracking of hydrated minerals) in the intense heat of the Sun."

So, according to the STEREO observations, 3200 Phaethon does behave like a rock comet.

The “rock comet” hypothesis is compelling, but Jewett and Li point out a problem: The amount of dust 3200 Phaethon ejected during its sun-encounter added a paltry 0.01% to the mass of the Geminid debris stream, not enough to keep the debris stream stocked up with meteoroids for the annual display of shooting stars. 3200 Phaethon is not spewing enough dust to account for the Geminids.

Could the rock comet have been more active in the past....? "We just don't know," says Cooke.

Forecasters expect Geminid meteor rates to top 100 per hour when the shower peaks on the moonless nights of Dec. 13th and 14th, 2012. Cooke encourages sky watchers to go out, look up, and savor the mystery.

Super duper scientific analysis here:

http://www2.ess.ucla.edu/~jewitt/papers/2010/JL10.pdf

More info here for the casual viewer:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/2012/12/meteor-activity-outlook-for-december-8-14-2012/

The Geminids (GEM) reach maximum activity on Thursday evening/Friday morning December 13/14, when approximately 75 shower members can be seen each hour from rural observing sites. While the Geminids are currently the most active radiant in the sky, rates this weekend will only be near five shower members per hour. Rates will increase dramatically as we approach the maximum date and the moon wanes. The radiant is currently located at 07:14 (109) +33. This position lies in northern Gemini, four degrees west of the second magnitude star Castor (Alpha Geminorum).
http://i46.tinypic.com/2ufq61d.jpg

Although Geminid meteors can be seen all night long, they are best seen near 0200 Local Time when the radiant lies highest above the horizon. Geminid activity can be seen from the southern hemisphere but at much reduced rate. As seen from south of the equator, Geminid activity could only be seen for a few hours before and after 0200 LST.

At 35 km/sec. the Geminids produce mostly meteors of medium velocity. This is one of the few displays that can be well seen prior to midnight. Geminid meteors seen just after dusk will be very long with a long duration. This is due to the fact that the radiant will lie near the horizon and any Geminid meteor seen be just be skimming the upper regions of the atmosphere. Therefore they will take longer to disintegrate in the much less dense portion of the atmosphere. Geminid meteors strike the atmosphere at 35km/sec, which will produce meteors of medium-slow velocity.

Zing!
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
So in layman's terms, where in the night sky should I be looking if I live in Minnesota?

mh5150
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
So in layman's terms, where in the night sky should I be looking if I live in Minnesota?

Up^^^^

Hardrock69
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
:lmao:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Zing...you walked right into that one. :hee:

But pretty much he is correct. Note the sky map above. The constellation Gemini should be pretty much straight up about Midnight.

That star map is how it should look here in the Northern Hemisphere around midnight.

Basically, many meteors will seem to emanate from the Gemini constellation, hence the name "Geminids".

But in general, you never know where they will be, or when they will appear.

You have to sit and stare at the sky for awhile.

It sucks that this shower is in December. Not so bad for the Southern Hemisphere, as it is springtime down there, and getting a bit warmer.

Or if you live near the equator. But up north here, it is winter.

This week the nighttime lows in Gnashville are going to be mid-to-upper 20s.

So...make sure if you want to do this you have on a warm jacket, or a blankie or something.

These websites are going on and on about how we may see 100 per hour. They typically predict way more than you will actually see.

So I say if you can see one every 5 minutes you are doing good.

The perfect setup is to kick back on a patio-furniture chase lounge (so you can recline, and just lay there) with some smoke, some drink, and some good space jams like Yes's "Close To The Edge" or Pink Floyd's "DSOTM" or anything that could be categorized as "Space Music".

As usual, I will be out with my Nikon, in search of that killer meteor photo.

IF I get any good shots I will post them here.

You may even be able to start seeing some meteors starting tonight.....though we are not far enough along in our orbit to have heavy sightings yet.

ashstralia
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Love the geminids. 'Rock Comet' sounds pretty cool too!

Zing!
12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I ran right into that one.

Zing!
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
The reason I ask though is my best place to view is my deck stairs, which face West (and up, if I lay down, har har). Don't want to miss potential action by watching the wrong direction.

Maybe I should stop while I'm behind...

Hardrock69
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Lol.

You won't know where in the sky they will appear. Just got off the phone from a friend in L.A.

He saw one last night. No details on it, but ya never know unless you go stare at the sky for a few hours.

I have seen them where they start almost to one horizon, then go slowly across the sky almost to the other horizon before burning out.

Angel
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Without fail, we'll be cloudy tonight. Always seems to be that way for these things...

Nickdfresh
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I saw one last night while driving on the highway, more spectacular than the typical shooting star - it came down almost like small bursting fireworks...

Hardrock69
12-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Friend of a friend of mine saw 4 of them yesterday morning about 5:30 while driving to work, she said the same thing.....

These are not like the meteor shower in November, where they were super fast and gone in a split-second....everything happening these past few days indicate a bunch of bright, slow-movers.

Am going out tonight with camera to try to get photos.

ashstralia
12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I went out at 12:10am this morning 14/12 (local DST). By 1am I'd seen about 30, including one that flamed out just near Jupiter, really bright. Most were fast and faint. There was a bit of cloud around, so I came in and got a hot chocolate. Went out again till about 2am, when I hadn't seen one for about 10 minutes I called it a night.

All up I saw about 60, 3 bright ones, and a handful of random non geminids.

Zing!
12-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Without fail, we'll be cloudy tonight. Always seems to be that way for these things...

Ain't that the truth?

PETE'S BROTHER
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
hasn't rained in months and it rolls in this afternoon for the next two days...:mad:

ashstralia
12-13-2012, 08:47 PM
the local news says tonight is the big night... maybe last night was just the warm up.
well, i'll be sitting outside again!

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/12/14/443666_gold-coast-news.html

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Went outside at 11:30. Saw 4 in the first 10 minutes. Came in for awhile. Went outside for 5 minutes. Saw another one that I am sure was in the field of view of my camera.

Am going out now, with gloves, nice wool army blanket....and kick back......got my buzz on.....gonna be cold.....gonna be beautifully kickass muffukaz.....

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Have seen easily a dozen in the past 15 minutes. Back in here getting warm, while letting the camera freeze it's ass off.:hee:

Little Texan
12-14-2012, 02:12 AM
I stood outside for 10 minutes and I saw 6, and a few of them were pretty impressive. I saw two back to back in nearly the same spot. This shower is much better than the dud one back during the summer.

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Heck, most of them for the past couple of years have not lived up to their billing. This one is doing great. Have seen 2-dozen in the past half hour. Many faint and fast, some bright and slow.....and it is only 1:16 AM!

Time to bring the cam battery back in for a charge....

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Man! While I was getting the battery out of the cam, I was looking up and I saw one that made me say "GOD FUCKING DAYUM!!!!"

Really amazing!

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Ok time to fire up another one!

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Oh wow man.....hey....are yoo reeedin this? Far out groovy man like wow man y'know what I mean y'know?

Like dig man, like the sky and stuff...yoo no....the muffakin' sky, bitches!!!

Lawdy land-sakes alive! :lmao:

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Somedaze I need to buy a spare battery.....this sucker takes half an hour or more to charge.....and I could be outside getting images right now.....

Nitro Express
12-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Oh wow man.....hey....are yoo reeedin this? Far out groovy man like wow man y'know what I mean y'know?

Like dig man, like the sky and stuff...yoo no....the muffakin' sky, bitches!!!

Lawdy land-sakes alive! :lmao:

Scuse me while I kiss the sky...dah dah day dee dee dee....Purple Haze all around.......

Star gazing is a lot like fishing. You really don't go to fish. You take all the equipment out but the real motive is just to get loaded. You don't have a big cooler in the fishing boat for nothing.

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Lol. I just am because I can for once. But my true aim is to get a good shot of a meteor.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
any luck?

Zing!
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I saw... clouds.

Hardrock69
12-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Ok. Got the cam running by 11:30....left it out until 1:30, brought the battery in for a charge, fired it up again at 2:15, let it run for another hour, then it was so cold I called it quits.....perfect timing too, as when I started, it was super clear, but by 3:15, high cirrus clouds had begun to move in.

I saw dozens of meteors. Mostly faint, quick movers......about 10% were really bright spectacular fireballs.....

Out of about 300 images, I got images of 4 meteors.

This first photo was of a really bright one, which I saw when it hit the atmosphere. Only problem is that I only caught the tail end of it, in the upper right corner:

http://i49.tinypic.com/t7g1nl.jpg

The other 3 images...the meteor was pretty much in the center of the frame, but dimmer.

Here is the best of the other 3:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2i74srb.jpg

My goal is to get one as bright as in the first photo, but centered like the second photo.

It is all a crapshoot.

Someday....

This is it for 2012 meteor season.

ashstralia
12-14-2012, 11:43 PM
nice work Hr! my only images are locked up in my current firmware/wetware. :biggrin:

Hardrock69
12-15-2012, 12:34 AM
:biggrin:

Note that because the meteor is just a momentary flash in a 20-second exposure, the second image was actually much brighter than it appears in the photo.

The first photo the meteor was REALLY bright.

Hardrock69
12-15-2012, 12:47 AM
My photos are not too bad when compared with others. The main difference is that a lot of people in scenic locations are able to get great photos that show a great landscape as well as the sky as well as a meteor.

Here are some photos taken last night:

http://www.space.com/18870-geminid-meteors-2012-photos.html

Here is one taken by Jack Fusco in Ocean City, NJ:

http://www.space.com/images/i/000/024/429/original/geminid-meteor-fusco-ocean-city-2012.jpg?1355497163

Hardrock69
12-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Here is another page with even more:

http://www.rsvlts.com/2012/12/14/20-amazing-high-quality-photos-from-the-geminid-meteor-shower/

Now THIS is the sort of image I strive for:

http://i50.tinypic.com/s5y7oo.jpg

ashstralia
12-15-2012, 02:06 AM
i'm hoping an astroimager caught the one i saw on thursday morning exploding under Jupiter. but given the perspective and parallax thing it's unlikely.

ashstralia
12-15-2012, 02:33 AM
how good is this..9285

Hardrock69
12-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Pretty damn good.

How good is this? ;)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m4yj5d.jpg

ashstralia
12-15-2012, 03:29 AM
thanks, captain dial-up. :biggrin:

edit; that's not this year obviously, Jupiter is missing.

Little Texan
12-15-2012, 04:15 AM
We've got another shower coming up in a few weeks, the Quadrantids, Jan. 1-Jan. 5. Hope it's as good as this one was, and we have the same optimal viewing conditions.

Nitro Express
12-15-2012, 04:23 AM
It's petty amazing what you can see in the sky. Especially when you are away from the city lights on a clear night. You know it's winter when you see Orion, the pleiades and Sirius up there. I guess getting a decent meteor shot is kind of the same concept as if you throw enough mud on the wall some of it going to stick.

ashstralia
12-15-2012, 04:26 AM
excellent work, LT! it's summer here, i'll pack aerogard for that one. i took my vixen 80 refractor out and had a good look at Jupiter, M42 and M35.

Hardrock69
12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I want someday to get a good shot of a meteor with Orion as the backdrop.....yes, Quadrantids.....but not nearly as big as the Geminids.

After Quadrantids, there are just lotsa very minor meteor showers until August 2013.

Here is where you can keep up with current meteor shower status: http://www.amsmeteors.org/articles/