PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb diet is B.S.

BIGBADZERO
06-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Now can we get back to normal eating again?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/06/23/low.carb.trend.reut/index.html

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 01:23 PM
BBZ!!! Baby I love you but I have been doing ADKINS for a year and my weight has dropped dramatically. I have more energy than ever and I'm never hungry. LOW CARB RULES!!!!

BIGBADZERO
06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
BBZ!!! Baby I love you but I have been doing ADKINS for a year and my weight has dropped dramatically. I have more energy than ever and I'm never hungry. LOW CARB RULES!!!!

It's a fast way to lose weight but it's not based on a balanced diet and there are considerable health risks such as clogging of the arteries, diabetes & prostate cancer. Any doctor will tell you nothing beats a balanced diet, eating in moderation and exercise.

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
My Dr has supported my decision to go Adkins but has said not to do it for life. I have almost been on it a year and at my last visit everything was fine. He did say I needed to ween myself backinto a well balanced eating plan but I cant really imagine doing that... I'm hooked on this way of life now. I dont even crave carbs at all...

Mezro
06-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Jesus..it is so simple: high protein, moderate carbs and low fat = lean muscle mass and low body fat.

Mezro...most fat people are just lazy pigs who make excuses. nobody put the pork rinds in your mouth but you

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
pork rinds...GROSS!

FORD
06-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Total low carb is hard to sustain, because you eliminate lots of healthy food.

The two things you should absolutely eliminate are high-fructose corn syrup and bleached flour. The reason these carbs are so harmful is because they are over-processed, leaving the body nothing to break down. So they are immediately sent into the cells for storage as "fat". It's no coincidence that the beginning of the "obesity epidemic" can be traced back to the time when HFCS replaced cane sugar in most carbonated soft drinks. It's also in far too many juice & ice tea beverages.

It's easy enough to substitute low carb tortillas for bread , or else no bread product at all. Giving up Coca Cola was tougher, but I adjusted. Don't care much for the diet stuff, and Nutra Sweet is poison, so I stick with Seltzer water, unsweetened ice tea, or diet beverages made with Splenda.. I will not do without the occasional beer though, and that's one area where I continue to insist on the real stuff. I'll be the first to say the low carb beer SUCKS.

Ally_Kat
06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I haven't drank soda since I was in 5th grade.

but the whole bread = evil thing? Yeah, we've been eating the wrong things since the dawn of time.

I just don't eat the crap anymore and I tend not to have big sit-down meals. I'm more into small snacking here and there throughout the day. Works better for me.

BIGBADZERO
06-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I will not do without the occasional beer though, and that's one area where I continue to insist on the real stuff. I'll be the first to say the low carb beer SUCKS.

I HEAR THAT!!!

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 04:07 PM
I hate the taste of beer period.
I drink way too much diet soda.
I'm off bread, don't eat it at all...

FORD
06-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I haven't drank soda since I was in 5th grade.

but the whole bread = evil thing? Yeah, we've been eating the wrong things since the dawn of time.

I just don't eat the crap anymore and I tend not to have big sit-down meals. I'm more into small snacking here and there throughout the day. Works better for me.

The bread that was eaten since the beginning of time didn't have bleached flour in it, and probably didn't contain any sugar. I don't think it's neccessarily a bad thing to eat nutritious, high fiber bread on occasion. I just choose not to most of the time.

Mezro
06-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The two things you should absolutely eliminate are high-fructose corn syrup and bleached flour.

You are correct Sir!

Mezro...bleach and hfc will kill you quicker than KFC

Dr. Love
06-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Um... you do know that low carb diets like the Fatkins diet causes damage to your body if sustained over time, right? It causes your body to produce an abundance of ammonia, which is poisonous. This is excreted in your urine and will damage your kidneys and bladder.

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Doc... dont rain on my parade!

FORD
06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Um... you do know that low carb diets like the Fatkins diet causes damage to your body if sustained over time, right? It causes your body to produce an abundance of ammonia, which is poisonous. This is excreted in your urine and will damage your kidneys and bladder.

That's why you drink plenty of water to keep your kidneys eliminating as they should. And taking the proper vitamins, which allow you to process the additional proteins and/or fat you may be eating.

TOTAL elimination of carbs should only be done during the two week induction phase anyway. Reintroducing veggie and fruit carbs after that is OK, within moderation

Fabulous Shadow
06-23-2004, 10:30 PM
true, even during induction your allowed 24 grams of carbs from greens... and you are encouraged to take a multi vitamin

Dr. Love
06-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I dunno, the Doctors teaching the biology class I had to take before graduation seemed highly critical of it and laid out a lot of reasons against it...

Ally_Kat
06-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Atkins 'may cut chances of pregnancy'

RHIANNON EDWARD

Key points
• Research finds too much protein inhibits conception chances in mouse trial
• Less than 20% protein intake recommended for women to conceive
• Atkins Diet representative rejects the findings

Key quote
"The study subjects were mice, which are herbivores. Whether or not these findings or effects would apply to humans, who are omnivores, is unknown" - Dr Stuart Trager, medical director of Atkins Nutritionals Inc

Story in full WOMEN who strictly follow the Atkins diet could be damaging their chances of getting pregnant, according to new research.

Eating too much protein can prevent an embryo attaching to the wall of the womb or hinder its early development, the findings suggest.

Although the research was done on mice, scientists believe there are implications for humans, especially people on Atkins-style diets.

"It’s conceivable that people who have protein intakes greater than 30 per cent may have problems conceiving," said Dr David Gardner, who led the American study.

The upper limit for protein consumption under Atkins guidelines is 35 per cent of total calories, but devout disciples of the diet might consume a greater proportion.

The research stems from the observation that protein in the diet affects levels of ammonium in the female reproductive tract. In herbivorous animals such as cows this has been known to cause reproductive problems.

Previous studies have shown that ammonium harms mouse embryos grown in the laboratory, causing genetic effects and retarding development.

Dr Gardner, the scientific director of the Colorado Centre for Reproductive Medicine in Englewood, set out to discover whether the same effects occurred in living mice.

The scientists found that ammonium levels in the oviduct, where the early embryo forms, were four times higher in mice given the high protein diet.

Four-day-old embryos in these animals had fewer cell numbers and a higher rate of cell death.

This is a crucial stage in embryonic development, since it is just before the embryo attaches to the inside of the womb. Without implantation, pregnancy cannot occur.

A total of 174 young embryos were transferred from both groups of mice to surrogate mothers fed a normal diet.

Despite the switch, only 65 per cent of those taken from high protein mice developed into a foetus. In contrast, embryos from mice on the lower protein diet had an 81 per cent success rate.

Protein consumption also had a striking effect on a reproductive genetic mechanism called imprinting, which causes certain genes to be switched on only if they come from a particular parent.

The HI9 gene, which is important to growth and development, is supposed to be activated only if inherited from the mother. But in two-thirds of embryos from mice on high protein diets, it was the father’s HI9 gene that was switched on.

Subsequently, these embryos were unable to grow properly in the womb.

Dr Gardner, who presented the findings yesterday at the annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), in Berlin, said: "One has to start off with the assumption that the mouse is generally more of a herbivorous animal than we are, and like a cow, is less able to metabolise high amounts of protein.

"But what you can say is that where people put themselves on very high protein diets they may have some difficulties trying to conceive."

He said most people on the Atkins diet did not appear to have elevated ammonium levels but the same may not apply to individuals eating very high amounts of protein.

"We would like to look at what people say they are eating and circulating levels of ammonium," he added. "That’s the next phase of our research."

Dr Gardner said that to be safe, couples trying to conceive should ensure the woman’s protein intake is less than 20 per cent of her total energy consumption.

Dr Stuart Trager, medical director of Atkins Nutritionals Inc, said: "In regards to the research presented by Dr David Gardner at the 20th annual conference of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, it is essential to clarify and define the research results as well as the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

"It is important to note that there was no mention of carbohydrate control in the research conducted by Dr Gardner. The study subjects were mice, which are herbivores. Whether or not these findings or effects would apply to humans, who are omnivores, is unknown.

"The differences between mice and human embryos have recently been demonstrated by the ability to produce mice embryos from a single parent, a process that can not be replicated in humans.

"This casts a large discrepancy on the ability to derive conclusions about the clinical implications of this study with regard to humans.

"In fact, some studies show a positive correlation between controlling carbohydrates and female fertility."

flappo
06-29-2004, 02:08 AM
if the atkins diet is so good for you

where's mr atkins today?

nuff said

Cathedral
06-29-2004, 02:24 AM
I don't drink Pop anymore at all and i eat salads for lunch, a sensible dinner and never after 8pm.
but i will say until I started walking 2 miles a day and working out every other day my beer gut was going nowhere.

I do crunches for the gut and lift weights for strength training and after 3 months i am feeling better than ever, looking like i did at 18 and i can see the cuts starting in the arms and chest.

No low carbs here, I have read way to many articles about people dying from that diet plan.
My Dr. was dead set against me doing the Adkins diet because it keeps you from taking in foods the body needs, besides i'm not fat enough for such an extreme plan.

Just sit down and put together a weekly menu of healthy foods and a decent excercise plan, stick to it and NO SNACKING in between meals.
Once you get into the habit of eating right and excercising regularly you will look better, feel better and never have to worry about weight again.
Fad diets sell a lot of books but everyones metabolism is different and what works for one person may kill another.
Drink plenty of water and keep the system flushed.
Pop by the way has been linked to throat cancer, but i am still reading about that and it has nothing to do with why i stopped drinking it. I gave it up because it is just plain fattening and not good for you at all.

I'm not allowed caffein anyway so it really wasn't tough giving up what i didn't really like. I used to live on Mountain Dew, couldn't get through a morning without it, until i had a fuckin stroke in '98.
that's sad when your 32 and having heart trouble but once i got my cholesterol under control (I ate a lot of southern fried chicken then) all my levels got back to normal...I was lucky enough to get a warning, most aren't.

Good Luck to you all who are weight conscious, but be careful and pay close attention to what your body is saying to you during this time.

Cathedral
06-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by flappo
if the atkins diet is so good for you

where's mr atkins today?

nuff said

LMMFAO, He died from a head injury...but you knew that i'm sure.

knuckleboner
06-30-2004, 12:22 AM
yeah, you lose weight on it. so what? you'll lose weight, too, if you cut off your left arm. doesn't mean it's the healthiest way to go.

i mean, jesus, deep fat-frying bacon in lard is a-ok, but that apple's bad news? sounds healthy...

personally, i'm marketing my own diet. i guarantee, that's right, GUARANTEE that once you get on this diet, you won't quit it. and i guarantee, GUARANTEE you will lose the weight.

it's called the heroin diet. one quick fix in the morning, one at lunch, and one when your skin begins to start crawling again. i'm telling you, forget yo-yo dieting, you'll be on the heroin diet for life. and you WILL lose the weight.

we're just waiting for FDA approval...

FORD
06-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
yeah, you lose weight on it. so what? you'll lose weight, too, if you cut off your left arm. doesn't mean it's the healthiest way to go.

i mean, jesus, deep fat-frying bacon in lard is a-ok, but that apple's bad news? sounds healthy...

personally, i'm marketing my own diet. i guarantee, that's right, GUARANTEE that once you get on this diet, you won't quit it. and i guarantee, GUARANTEE you will lose the weight.

it's called the heroin diet. one quick fix in the morning, one at lunch, and one when your skin begins to start crawling again. i'm telling you, forget yo-yo dieting, you'll be on the heroin diet for life. and you WILL lose the weight.

we're just waiting for FDA approval...

Considering who controls the heroin trade, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did get approved. :(

Dan
06-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Some Ladies at work were trying The Grapefruit Diet what the F$%k.

Hummarstra
06-30-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

I do crunches for the gut
Cathedral, you do know that crunches don't burn fat off your abdominals, don't you? That is a myth. Only cardio will burn the fat away. Remember: you can spot tone, but you can't spot reduce.

MAX
06-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Fuckin A!!!

Ever try eating what you know is healthy and exercising five days a week? Drink shitloads of water and don't eat after 9:00 pm? It works like you wouldn't imagine and you are happy as well. The Atkins is proven as a short term way to drop pounds but the diet rivals that of a smoker as far as the heart is concerned. If anyone honestly believes that a fucking bacon, T-Bone and 20 egg breakfast is better for your body than an apple is fucking delusional. I cannot wait until this fucking fad goes away!!!

Do you wan't any toast hon? No, I'm low carb so throw me the jimmy deans instead! LOL!!! What scares me is the fucking public actually buys this shit? Oh well, cardiologists tend to make a killing within the next decade!!!

Cathedral
06-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Yeah i know that...crunches work the ab muscles, which is why i do those. I walk everyday and get the heart rate up for about an hour then do some lifting and leg curls to tone and strength train.

I just got me a new bike today since i found a 16 mile bike course just down the road. I'm going to ride that course once or twice a week also for the cardio workout and several other advantages.

I don't have a lot of fat in the abs, just the beer gut love handles and they are coming off...very slowly but i am now seeing results from my efforts which is really good at keeping me motivated.

I don't mess with diet plans, I just read labels before buying anything new and keep cholesterol, saturated fat, and polyunsaturated fat out of my home as best as possible.
I don't take in a lot of sugar anymore either since i drink water most of the time. Like tonight, I had a chef salad and water for dinner and eat lots of fruit for snacking if i get the urge.
Apples, bannanas, cantelope, watermelon etc.

I am also finding that my stress level is coming down also...I don't fly off the handle as much and can keep my mood in check for the most part. Nobody wants to deal with me on a bad day.
All of this is due to a fight i got into a couple of months back when i kicked the shit out of my womans ex for hitting her, she is pregnant and i exploded on him with massive fury. The problem is that it wore me out quickly and if he'd had any more fight in him at all i'd have been in trouble.
So i stepped up my health consciousness and put together a menu and a pretty agressive workout and i'm feeling great, looking better than i have in many years, and getting hit on by older women a lot, lol.

Another reason is that for so long i have had junk food in the house and my daughter was starting to pudge out a little to much for my comfort, so i changed the eating habits in the house all together for all of us and i must set an example for her about proper eating habits and staying healthy.

When i had my thyroid problem at 13 and had to have a tumor removed the size of a half dollar i gained 120 pounds before it was removed and i got a ton of shit for being so big at school, and had to defend myself all the time because i don't take shit from anyone and never have....I don't want my daughter to have to deal with that shit.
Then after the surgery i lost 80 pounds doing nothing, in less than 3 months, it just came off as strange as it came on but i have pretty much been 20 pounds heavier than normal since.
And as i get older i find that it is getting harder to control my weight, soooooooooooo....here we are... :)

People that want to lose weight face similar problems as smokers wanting to quit. You first have to want, really want to do it or nothing will work. There is not a system out there that will make you quit smoking or stop over eating unless you make the proper changes in your mental state.
Mind over matter is what i tell myself...when i wanted a cigarette i just convinced myself that i just had one and the craving would go away for a few hours. When you want to eat while watching TV? instead get up and walk around the block and think of something else.
You can condition your mind to eliminate bad habits, but you have to stay focused and make yourself stick to the plan, discipline if you will.

Once you say "Well, just one won't hurt" or "I'll eat this today and fast tomorrow" You will lose the battle 98.9% of the time.

Save your money on fad diets and smoke aways and just make up your damn mind that you are in control of your body and change the way you live. sounds tough, is tough, but success can be yours.

BIGBADZERO
06-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Smoking a pack of cigarettes a day keeps weight off too.

Fabulous Shadow
06-30-2004, 02:02 PM
When I eat carbs my middle LOOKs like a BIGROUNDZERO!

DaveIsKing
06-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Having lots of sex keeps my weight off!

Hollywood Jesus
06-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Atkins shuts down the body. It's a slow and delibaerate dying process.

Moderation and exercise are the only way to do it right. By God, I'm gonna get right on that after this burrito and a Jolt.

Ally_Kat
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
Having lots of sex keeps my weight off!

and the cigerette afterwards helps ;) :D