PDA

View Full Version : Tonight On PBS - The Making Of (and a showing of) The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour...

Hardrock69
12-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Just saw this on the channel guide.

On PBS's "Great Performances" this evening they are showing a documentary on the making of this crappy, yet historically significant (relative to the Beatles) film, and then they are showing the film in it's entirety.

Am setting the Tivo for this.

Check your local listings.

philouze
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Nah, Here In France (sounds familiar or what?), I can't get it.
I guess it's part of the DVD bonus features. I'll buy it. The Beatles are Everything to me. As much as CVH. And Alice Cooper. And FZ. And Joe Jackson. And Kate Bush. I'm goin' to bed, see y'all soon, mothertruckers.
All We Need Is Love
And GOAT.

ELVIS
12-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Even hard core fans hate The Magical Misery Film...

If you've never seen it, you'll be amazed at how much it sucks...

It's like a few bored retards got a hold of some cameras and started filming...

:elvis:

Hardrock69
12-20-2012, 05:20 PM
It is more like some hippies tripping on acid got ahold of some cameras and started filming.

From what I have read, they did actually have a script, and for the most part, all the action outside of the bus followed the script pretty closely.
All the action inside the bus was just whatever happened.

Also, there are some scenes where the bus is driving down various country roads.

Empty.

Seems that after they were done shooting, they realized they needed some pickup shots of the bus driving along, and just took it out in the country and filmed it with nobody on it.

Yes, the movie sucks fucking ass.....55 minutes long....but it has serious historical significance.....

They were the first rock group to have enough fame and cash that they could create their own films.

They took the idea of a vanity "production company" to the nth-degree.

But no other rock band had tried to do what they were doing. Apple Corps records was another facet of their "company". They were pioneers in a way....failure or no.

I have a couple of Apple 45s from that period....

Hardrock69
12-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I only saw this once before......at a midnight movie about 30 years ago.

Now I am seeing it for the second time.

So I suppose I should see it once more when I am an old decrepit bastard yelling at the goddam kids to get off my lawn.....

I am totally reminded how, in some ways, it is a piece of shit, and should ONLY be watched by people on heavy hallucinogenics.....

I mean, if Paul looked like this, that would be a pretty amazing Technicolor Trip!
http://i50.tinypic.com/mkda3m.jpg

Nitro Express
12-21-2012, 12:43 AM
It is more like some hippies tripping on acid got ahold of some cameras and started filming.

From what I have read, they did actually have a script, and for the most part, all the action outside of the bus followed the script pretty closely.
All the action inside the bus was just whatever happened.

Also, there are some scenes where the bus is driving down various country roads.

Empty.

Seems that after they were done shooting, they realized they needed some pickup shots of the bus driving along, and just took it out in the country and filmed it with nobody on it.

Yes, the movie sucks fucking ass.....55 minutes long....but it has serious historical significance.....

They were the first rock group to have enough fame and cash that they could create their own films.

They took the idea of a vanity "production company" to the nth-degree.

But no other rock band had tried to do what they were doing. Apple Corps records was another facet of their "company". They were pioneers in a way....failure or no.

I have a couple of Apple 45s from that period....

I watched the directors commentary of Easy Rider and Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda said they were high the whole time and basically most the people in the movie were real people along the way. The rednecks in the cafe were real, the hippie commune was real. They said they lucked out because the film director they hired was a refugee from Hungary who escaped communism and was sober and serious. He wanted to break into the movie business full time and took the project seriously when nobody else did. They said that's why the filming of the scenes are so good.

Nitro Express
12-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Grace Slick had the most honest commentary on the 1960's. She said they were pretty much selfish and wanted to do whatever they wanted. She said people read to0 much into it and try to glorify it too much. She said we were high most the time just trying to break away from the conformity of the 1950's. She said she wanted to get high, drunk, fuck all the men she wanted instead of going to Tupperware parties. LOL!

Hardrock69
12-21-2012, 02:07 AM
That's our Grace! :hee:

SunisinuS
12-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Pussies.....I still do whatever the hell I want. Grace Slick bagged out as always trying to be counter-culture...I respect her....but she is the Phil Colins' of her generation....all talk and no walk. She does not want be a "rock-star" so be it...but she sucked balls instead of taking the entire load.

Jack68
12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Ive only seen it once in its entirety..its a tough watch.I am the walrus was pretty cool.

ELVIS
12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I respect her....but she is the Phil Colins' of her generation....all talk and no walk.

At least Collins had hits...

Kristy
12-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I watched three minutes of that dribble, self-indulgent hippie crap. Three minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

ELVIS
12-21-2012, 11:31 AM
How much time did you lose on those grotesque sex acts ??

Kristy
12-21-2012, 11:35 AM
You mean where you said you would pay me to film you and your dog getting it on?

Lot of time.

envy_me
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
You mean where you said you would pay me to film you and your dog getting it on?

Lot of time.

Wow, that was so funny :indifferent0020: :Loser:

Kristy
12-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, that was so funny :indifferent0020: :Loser:

:fighting24:

ELVIS
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
The stupid whore is a riot, eh ??

Kristy
12-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah, unlike your racism.

ELVIS
12-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Stupid white depressed bitch says what ??

envy_me
12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Stupid white depressed bitch says what ??

Can't anybody just spay her so she stops jumping our legs?

ELVIS
12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
She's immune to mace due to repeated exposure...

philouze
12-21-2012, 02:08 PM
How many threads will we pollute with Kristy's behavior??
Enough already.
Come on Eileen Too Rye-Ay.
I'm in a peaceful mood, I'm tired, goin to bed (yeah, Envy, that's early but I'm burned, Milady)

Best way to fight stupidity is Ignorance.
I have spoken.

envy_me
12-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm in a peaceful mood, I'm tired, goin to bed (yeah, Envy, that's early but I'm burned, Milady)

Haha, it's okay. I am thinking of going early too.

ThrillsNSpills
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
well if anyone's interested they can google it and watch.

if I have to relay this then I'm compelled to remind you that the walking pattern carries a left foot /right foot alternating motion.

ThrillsNSpills
12-21-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/12/17/magical_mystery_tour_revisited_documentary_watch_i t_here_from_pbs_and_great.html

Zing!
12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
So I suppose I should see it once more when I am an old decrepit bastard yelling at the goddam kids to get off my lawn...

Is this you, Hardrock?

Hardrock69
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Ha!

Not yet!
:lol: