PDA

View Full Version : Why Are There So Few African-Americans In Metal Music?

Hardrock69
12-22-2012, 10:14 PM
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/12/african_americans_in_metal_black.php

The above link has some photos and links to related material as well.

Long Beach-based metal band Hirax has a unique sound, blending the galloping beats of the new wave of British heavy metal with the intensity of thrash. Katon W. De Pena's operatic and aggressive vocals lead the way. Since 1984 De Pena, who is 49, has fronted the legendary thrashers.

He's also part of an elite club: metal bands with black singers. He's not entirely alone -- Jimi Hendrix and Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy blazed trails, and today we have Byron David of God Forbid and Howard Jones, formerly of Killswitch Engage. And, of course, the late '80s gave us Living Colour.

Though Latinos are common in metal, African-Americans are not. Why is that?

"These are questions that need to be asked," De Pena says, adding that although he's never felt excluded, he's felt "misunderstood by other black folks. You get looked at differently if you're black and into metal. I still get that today."

He believes many listen at home but are wary of stepping into the scene either because of misconceptions about metal fans or peer pressure -- hip-hop continues to reign supreme, after all. "There are tons of black kids who love metal, but they think that there won't be any other black kids there and they won't be accepted."

He believes their anxieties are misplaced, however. "I think if black people went to shows, they'd be stoked. It's not like what people hear about on talk shows." De Pena believes metalheads to be an open-minded and accepting bunch. "People come from all religious backgrounds, skin tones and hair lengths. I was more accepted because we're all outcasts and misfits."

For what it's worth, De Pena himself was taken aback by the metal scene while cutting his teeth. "I saw Motörhead on their first U.S. tour and it blew my fucking head off," he says, "but it was kind of unnerving. When you see something that intense for the first time, it's a weird feeling." Nonetheless, he was quickly drawn to both the music and subculture of metal.

Apparently the metal scenes internationally tend to be more diverse. "The bulk of our shows are overseas," he says, "In South America you notice a lot more black people. Even I was surprised."

And things have changed since the days when Hirax was formed, albeit slowly. "It used to be me and two other black guys. Now it's a couple dozen," he says.

"I'm very proud to lay groundwork for guys who will follow me in the future," he adds. But it's not clear that he's talking about race anymore; De Pena is, over and above other identities, a metalhead. "The thing that attracted me to metal is that I felt more at home there than anywhere else. [It's] important for people to know they'll be welcomed in."

Hirax plays the Key Club TONIGHT, Dec. 22.

Now...on this subject....check out this kickass documentary called "Electric Purgatory: The Plight Of The Black Rocker":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdEHvREfdI&wide=1

Check about 8 minutes in....a killer version of Little Richard blasting out a high-energy version of "Lucille".
Yeah...you gots the history lesson in this documentary as well. Really cool.

FORD
12-22-2012, 11:40 PM
One of the best bands you probably never heard of.....

These guys came out around the same time that Living Colour did, and were unfairly tagged as "clones", much in the same way that The Alarm or Big Country were written off as U2 clones. Wasn't the truth in either case.

ELVIS
12-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Why are there so few European-Americans in Gangster Rap music ??

Kristy
12-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Simple: metal is largely a disease of the white man particularly the trailer trash white man who is a closeted homosexual who has this insistent need to dress up in spandex and "experiments" with his mother's hairspray. Metal is headache music for black dope puffers who would rather listen to Bob Marley and Paul McCartney so as to not reinforce the racist stereotype.

So this is love
12-23-2012, 12:06 AM
This is a cheap shot at Elvis........lets see how he is going to respond this attack... lol

Kristy
12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Actually I was going for the pseudo-intellectual Wiki-esque response - it was more directed at DickPAin'tSoFresh

So this is love
12-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Nick must be out at this time ........he's out west isn't he? you two are made for each other......seriously Kristy can you do any better?:lmao:

Kristy
12-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Who cares where he is?

So this is love
12-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Kristy its Sat night wtf are you doing here?

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Actually I was going for the pseudo-intellectual Wiki-esque response - it was more directed at DickPAin'tSoFresh

You just can't get my dick out of your mind, can you? :)

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Kristy its Sat night wtf are you doing here?

Apparently free of dates and male companionship... :)

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Nick must be out at this time ........he's out west isn't he? you two are made for each other......seriously Kristy can you do any better?:lmao:

Out west in New York, Western New York...

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Who cares where he is?

Apparently you do...

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Jesus, why am I even in this thread. I don't even like thrash metal... :)

ashstralia
12-23-2012, 10:13 AM
i had the great pleasure of meeting the living color fellows. marvellous gentlemen.

Kristy
12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
You just can't get my dick out of your mind, can you? :)

And you just can't get 'Tardrock's out of your mouth.

Nickdfresh
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I'll have to Google that or check the Wiki page or probably Urban Dictionary later...

Kristy
12-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Or you two can just get a room

envy_me
12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Apparently you do...

I think she likes you.

And why is rock so big in Japan? Why do asians love rock but not for example hiphop?

FORD
12-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Because the ones who have tried it come off looking like idiots?

(Except for the Beastie Boys and Consolidated, of course)

This song is almost 20 years old, and sadly still relevant to current times...

Mr. Vengeance
12-23-2012, 01:51 PM
With those huge rhino dicks, when they try to headbang, they tip over frontways....

Dave's Bitch
12-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Simple: metal is largely a disease of the white man particularly the trailer trash white man who is a closeted homosexual who has this insistent need to dress up in spandex and "experiments" with his mother's hairspray. Metal is headache music for black dope puffers who would rather listen to Bob Marley and Paul McCartney so as to not reinforce the racist stereotype.

Metal is (In my opinion) the best genre of music.The Distortion,The solo's,The screams and the POWER.It just gets me all pumped up ;)

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Ease up Kristy. Sounds like you're confused about metal music. The spandex and hairspray are more Glam than metal. Hair bands were not all metal bands. And all metal bands are not hair bands. Your last comment makes no sense at all.

Dave's Bitch
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Hair bands and Metal bands in general do not mix.Hair bands are about image while Metal bands are about power.Has anyone ever heard a Poison song with power?

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I think the reason more blacks aren't into metal is because the black race in general frown on it's members doing things that they think are white in nature. White people do the same thing but they're called racists. It would be politically incorrect for a white person to make fun of blacks for doing white things but not so much the other way around. Black people had no problem outing Vanilla Ice as a wigger but I've never heard white people calling Hendrix a blitey.

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Hair bands and Metal bands in general do not mix.Hair bands are about image while Metal bands are about power.Has anyone ever heard a Poison song with power?
Hair bands and metal don't mix but long hair and metal do. I think some people get confused about this. I've heard some metal bands referred to as hair bands. Labels in music are just that. Like I've said before there is no one certain definition of what metal is. The term rock and roll itself is open to interpretation. I see bullshit all the time called rock when in my opinion it is not. Rap is not rock and roll but I do believe they have rappers in the rock hall of fame.

FORD
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Because when white guys try to rap, it usually turns out something like this.....

Angel
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
i had the great pleasure of meeting the living color fellows. marvellous gentlemen.

Saw the lead singer playing Judas in JC Superstar. Awesome.

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Because when white guys try to rap, it usually turns out something like this.....

How about Eminem? I don't care for his music or his tough guy bullshit attitude but the brothers accept his shit as music. Race ain't really got shit to do with it. It's all about culture.

ashstralia
12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
the classic joke was that circa 2000, the best rapper was a white dude and the best golfer was a black dude...:)