PDA

View Full Version : Cubs to get Maddux AND Rodriguez?

POJO_Risin
01-13-2004, 10:02 PM
They get these two...

damn...what a fucking battery...

1. Prior

2. Wood

3. Maddux

4. That fucker with the shit on his face...

all throwing to Pudge?

are you kidding me?

lmfao...they'd still fuck up though...

redblkwht
01-14-2004, 01:32 AM
I say it falls thru, its been taking too long like
last time with greg, he shops & tells the next team
what the cubs are offering.. bet im right!
gut check tells me it aint so..too much time
has passed pojo', shoulda been done monday-

Lou
01-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Maddux is done, finished, caput, over the hill. You saw what happened to Tom Glavine last year--well Maddux is next in my opinion. He never had overpowering stuff to begin with, but now he doesn't fool anyone anymore. And he was never a big game pitcher, so imagine an over-the hill Maddux in a playoff game. Anyone who signs him is making a bad move.

Now Pudge on the other hand, you saw how much he meant to the Marlins, he's just amazing that he's still holding up at the catcher's position for this long. He's a perfect fit for just about any team.

High Life Man
01-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I think Maddux would be great in Chicago. He'd really be able to make Wood, Prior and Zambrano better. Think of the knowledge he could pass to a couple of guys who are already studs.

Pudge would help too.

Lou
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah maybe Maddux could pass some knowledge on as a pitching coach. But he really is done as a pitcher. And then on top of that he wants crazy money...bad bad move for whatever team that does that.

Gmoney
01-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Maddox and his ass hole agent, Scott Boras, have not checked the market recently. There is no way Maddux is going to get $10M per year.

Cubs will have a kick ass rotation if he does sign.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-14-2004, 09:07 PM
You all frickin' know why the Braves staff was so good for all of those years....

'Cause they had an extra 6 inches on each side of the strike zone !!!

Go ahead Poj, slam me again, like you always do.... ;)

damngoodtimes
01-15-2004, 06:53 AM
yeah, and they had the pitchers who could use those 6 inches every time.

the karmic wheel got them, though, in 97 when Livan got an extra 2 feet!!

Lou, Maddux still won 15 games last year. don't count him out yet.

High Life Man
01-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by damngoodtimes
Lou, Maddux still won 15 games last year. don't count him out yet.

Actually, I think he was 16-11.

Lou
01-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Last year was his worst year in awhile. Still a good season by today's standards, but the kind of turning point where I think it's all downhill from there.

First off, he had a high ERA for him at 3.96--highest since 1987. Second, he gave up more hits than innings pitchd. He also had a career high in HR's allowed with 24. And in the last two seasons, he's pitched exactly one complete game in 70 starts, with no shutouts. Now he's never been a strikeout pitcher, but his K's have been down the last two years, 118 in 2002 and 124 in 2003. Only full year lower than those two was 1987 when he had 101.

I can't find his playoff stats but I just remember him not being a big game pitcher, not the guy you'd really want out there in Game 7 because he never could blow anyone away. But now with the ERA getting up there, the homers getting up there, he's not fooling anyone anymore. He's getting hit around a little more. And at his age (38) come April it's not terribly likely he'll "bounce back." He's old, in the twilight of his career, and wants a ridiculous amount of money. Granted he's still above average, but he is nowhere near what he once was, and just ain't worth that kind of money. And really not dependable at all come September and October.

POJO_Risin
01-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Look...the guy would be fucking number 4 on that staff...and fucking Zambrono number five...

I think I could deal with an aging Maddux as my number four starter...and so would every team in baseball...

redblkwht
01-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I agree, i just think Maddux wants to stroke the cubs
so SD will buck up & pay him & use the cubbies..
# 4 yes, but before clement, zambrano would be #3..
goat boy is the 5 spot.

POJO_Risin
01-18-2004, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't put Maddux before Clement or Zambrano...

but what the hell...that's why I'm not a manager...

High Life Man
01-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Anyone heard any new rumors on this?

Gmoney
01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
I heard Rodriquez is close to signing with the Tigers and Maddux is mulling over several offers...per his ass hole agent Scott Boras. I think Maddux is definitely just using the Cubs to drive up the market, which there is not much of one for a 38 year old pitcher past his prime.

Lou
01-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah he'd be a fantastic #4 or 5. But not at his price. You'd do better using that money elsewhere. The way Maddux is heading, and I believe it's the beginning of a downhill fall, you can really get by with someone else. And at that money, what's the point if the guy won't get it done in the playoffs?

redblkwht
01-19-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree with G money on maddux..
its a smokescreen folks-

Polk High
01-23-2004, 04:30 PM
think of the knowledge the cubbies could teach maddux on how to choke a playoff series and how to whine and complain but still suck every year.

redblkwht
01-23-2004, 07:11 PM
At least we didnt lose Shilling to the Redsox..