PDA

View Full Version : Italy To Tax Catholic Church Property

Hardrock69
12-30-2012, 11:23 PM
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2012/12/28/italy-starts-taxing-catholic-church-when-will-the-us/

Italy’s Catholic Church will be forced to pay taxes starting in 2013 after the EU pressured the country’s government to pass a controversial law stripping the Church of its historic property tax exemption.

The Catholic Church in Italy is excluded from paying taxes on its land if at least a part of a Church property is used non-commercially – for instance, a chapel in a bed-and-breakfast. “The regulatory framework will be definite by January 1, 2013 – the start of the fiscal year – and will fully respect the [European] Community law,” Italian premier Mario Monti’s government said in a statement…

The move could net Italy revenues of 500 million to 2 billion euros annually across the country, municipal government associations said. The extra income from previously exempt properties in Rome alone – including hotels, restaurants and sports centres – could reach 25.5 million euros a year…

The measure came after the country’s leadership decided in February to alter Italy’s property tax code, ending the Church’s longstanding privileges due to the severe debt crisis.

Last December, after new austerity measures were adopted in the country, 130,000 Italians signed an online petition urging the government to strip the Church of its tax exemption.

“It was time that they paid, too, with all the exemptions they’ve had throughout the years,” Marco Catalano, a 35-year-old shopkeeper in Rome, told the New York Times in February, adding that he goes to church twice a month. “They own the most beautiful buildings in downtown Rome, on Italian soil, and rent them out at market prices…

Overdue. Not only in Italy. Not only regarding the Catholic Church.

Living in a nation with a constitution requiring separation of church and state, it is truly absurd that we still don’t collect property taxes, business taxes on the money-making, profit-generating properties owned by religious institutions.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow.... That's pretty surprising, considering there's a church in Italy like every 12 feet....

ELVIS
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
The Catholic church needs to cough up a lot of money for a lot of bullshit...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm all for making them pay property taxes, but there's so many clusterfucks in Congress nowadays, even raising the issue will bring everything else to a standstill....

It would make the fiscal cliff debates look amateurish....

ELVIS
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Look amateurish ??

It's a fucking joke!

I hope we do go off the fiscal cliff for real...

I hope it's so bad that the Federal government has to shut down indefinately and all of the current federal cocksuckers are out of a job...

That's the only way the shit, err ship, will eventually be righted...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Look amateurish ??

It's a fucking joke!

I hope we do go off the fiscal cliff for real...

I hope it's so bad that the Federal government has to shut down indefinately and all of the current federal cocksuckers are out of a job...

That's the only way the shit, err ship, will eventually be righted...

Yeah, but the point I was making is if any President (assume that would be a Democrat) would propose to start collecting property taxes on ALL churches (not just Catholic), it would put nearly everything else on the back burner....

ELVIS
12-31-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't really see why any churches are tax exempt...

I think they should pay taxes and hold political rallies as they see fit...

DLR Bridge
12-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I had heard recently that the Catholic church owns 3/4 of Manhattan. Is that tax free? Whacky.

BigBadBrian
12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but the point I was making is if any President (assume that would be a Democrat) would propose to start collecting property taxes on ALL churches (not just Catholic), it would put nearly everything else on the back burner....

If that's the case, would you also propose that all other charities are taxed as well?

ELVIS
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
A church isn't a charity...

envy_me
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
If that's the case, would you also propose that all other charities are taxed as well?

Church is a business, or as in the case with catholics it's maffia.

ELVIS
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
The Catholic Church is a government...

envy_me
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
The Catholic Church is a government...

In Italy?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM

The churches are PROPERTY owners just like every other homeowner or business, and therefore should be paying PROPERTY taxes IMO.....

envy_me
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
The churches are PROPERTY owners just like every other homeowner or business, and therefore should be paying PROPERTY taxes IMO.....

Even business taxes. How much do they make per mass? That's a service they sell. Empty the collection and tax.

Seshmeister
12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
In Italy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_City

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Even business taxes. How much do they make per mass? That's a service they sell. Empty the collection and tax.

Baby steps....

Just getting churches to pay property taxes would be a monumental step....

Seshmeister
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Fry sums up the problems with the Catholic church here far more eloquently than I ever could...

envy_me
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_City

Yeah, i know. His answer was so short i didn't know specificly what he meant.

DLR Bridge
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Baby steps....

Just getting churches to pay property taxes would be a monumental step....

Did you just say....baby steps? I feel a thread derail coming on. Didn't Ed say baby steps in '96?

envy_me
12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow.... That's pretty surprising, considering there's a church in Italy like every 12 feet....

Italy has a maffia goverment, maffia church, maffia Berlusconi owning RAI, Benetton (yeah, the clothing company) owns the highways. It's corruption like no where else.
One hand greases the other. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I am surprised that they agreed on taxing the church.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Italy has a maffia goverment, maffia church, maffia Berlusconi owning RAI, Benetton (yeah, the clothing company) owns the highways. It's corruption like no where else.
One hand greases the other. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I am surprised that they agreed on taxing the church.

First of all, it's "Mafia"....

Second of all, you don't need to explain how things work in Italy, I lived there for 3 1/2 years....

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Did you just say....baby steps? I feel a thread derail coming on. Didn't Ed say baby steps in '96?

Um, no news is good news?

;)

envy_me
12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
First of all, it's "Mafia"....

Second of all, you don't need to explain how things work in Italy, I lived there for 3 1/2 years....

Then why are you surprised about this news??

And, okay, I spelt wrong, so what? We spell it like that here...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Then why are you surprised about this news??

And, okay, I spelt wrong, so what? We spell it like that here...

Um, because it's never been done?

"Spelt", hahahaha....

BigBadBrian
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
A church isn't a charity...

Sure it is. The IRS considers it as one. If we're going to collect taxes on churches, let's also do it on buildings and property owned by The United Way, American Red Cross, American Heart Association, et al.

I'd actually LOVE for the Democratic Party to try and make this happen! :jizzz: