PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulbs - We Are In The Midst Of A Major Transition....

Hardrock69
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
A friend of mine turned on a lamp over his desk today....with a compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb in it.

It blew up, showering him with glass, and exposing him to mercury.

I told him to get a lawyer.

I then started doing a bit of research, and found out a lot of interesting info.

Since September, it has been illegal to manufacture or import 100w incandescent bulbs.

Starting January 1, it became illegal to manufacture or import 75-watt incandescent bulbs.

January 1, 2014, it will be come illegal to manufacture or import 60-watt incandescent bulbs.

Got the stats from this article:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/making-the-switch-traditional-75-watt-bulb-is-the-/nTkQK/

Making the switch: traditional 75-watt bulb is the next to go

If you’re still confused about which light bulb to buy as a replacement for the familiar incandescent bulb that’s being phased out, you’re not alone.

“A lot of people are still surprised as to what is going on. There’s still some confusion,” reports Pedro Villagran, manager of Light Bulbs Unlimited, 4275 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach. “People are complaining the government is telling them what bulbs to buy.”

As of Sept. 30, it became illegal to import or manufacture the traditional 100-watt incandescent bulb. But stores can still sell what they have on the shelves, and some, including Light Bulbs Unlimited, still have them in stock. Using incandescents is not illegal.

On Jan. 1 the same federal energy legislation passed in 2007 now covers a manufacturing and import ban on 75-watt incandescent bulbs. The law requires most bulbs to be 30 percent more efficient.

On Jan. 1, 2014 the most widely-sold wattage bulb — the 60-watt — will be on the way out, along with the 40-watt bulb.

“The 60-watt, that may be a real shocker there,” Villagran said.

Villagran said the change goes beyond the standard reading-lamp bulb to other types of bulbs, such as those for recessed lighting and different types of reflector bulbs.

“People are bringing in bulbs that have not been made for a while. They say, ‘What do I do now?’ Bulbs are still available. They can only get it a lot less bright. The bulb is only 45 watts. It used to be 75 watts.”

So, what are the choices other than incandescents if they are still on the store shelves?

The more energy-efficient bulbs are compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) which are the “squiggly” kind, halogen bulbs, and LEDs, light-emitting diodes. The traditional bulbs are cheaper at 60 cents or so. CFLs are $3 or less per bulb, and halogens range from $4 to $6. LED’s are $20 to $70 a bulb. The more energy-efficient bulbs last longer than traditional bulbs.

Certainly it can’t be too tough for people who have figured out how to use computers, cell phones and other devices to learn a new way of thinking about light bulbs.

Cathy Choi, president of Bulbrite, a 40-year-old family-owned lighting manufacturer and distributor based in Moonachie, N.J. that sells to stores in our area such as Light Bulbs Unlimited and Capitol Lighting, says figuring out which bulb to buy is not as complicated as it may seem. But, Choi, who chairs the American Lighting Association Education Foundation Board, agrees that consumers are confused.

Instead of thinking about watts, the focus should be on light output or brightness. Check the package for the number of lumens. The incandescent bulb has a lumens range of 10 to 15 per watt. A 100-watt bulb has 1,000 to 1,500 lumens. An equivalent 72-watt halogen bulb has 1,490 lumens, which means it provides the same amount of brightness as the 100-watt incandescent.

Consider where the bulb will be used. It’s all about selecting the right bulb for the right place.

“If you are using it in your table lamp for reading, I would not suggest a compact fluorescent,” Choi said. “The way it produces light is not what the consumer is used to. I would suggest a 72-watt halogen replacement. The halogen replacement looks like the bulb you are used to. The way it is made is a little bit different.”

But for a spot such as the laundry room, the CFL will probably do, Choi said. The packaging will state the bulb consumes 23 watts but provides the same light output as a 100-watt incandescent.

The halogen is the least efficient of the three choices, but is closest to what people are used to seeing. It’s the most popular of newer choices, Choi said. Bulbrite’s Halogen A19 bulbs are almost an exact replica of the traditional incandescent.

Concerns about highly toxic mercury contained in CFLs makes them less appealing. Such bulbs are supposed to be disposed of at a specific site, not just thrown into a garbage can. If a bulb breaks special steps much be taken to clean it up, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Manufacturers have come out with a domed CFL that resembles a traditional bulb’s shape.

LEDs are much more expensive than CFLs but last longer, Choi said.

“The LEDs cost more because they are a new technology. Twenty years ago when the compact fluorescent was new it was priced similarly. Someday the LED will be dominant,” Choi said.

A 14-watt LED saves more than $200 a year electricity cost when it is used in place of a 100-watt bulb.

Choi says the law is a win-win for consumers who save on energy costs and help the environment by using less electricity.

“Ultimately, we are able to produce a better product for the consumer. If I can give you the same amount of light in 71 watts, you are saving 28 percent energy. Over the life of the lamp, you are buying fewer bulbs,” Choi said.

“People struggle with, how can I do my part? Maybe you can’t afford to drive a Prius, but you can do it as easy as switching a light bulb,” Choi said. “If you don’t want to give up the look, go to the halogen.”

Confused about light bulbs? Think lumens, not watts when selecting a bulb.

Lumens measure the amount of light produced by a bulb, while watts refer to how much energy a bulb uses when lit.

Lumens equal brightness. Watts equal energy. Check packages for info.

For those who insist upon comparing wattages, here’s a look at equivalents for traditional bulbs vs. halogens.

Incandescent Halogen Phase-out dates for incandescents

100 watt 72 watt Oct. 1, 2012

75 watt 53 watt Jan . 1, 2013

60 watt 43 watt Jan. 1, 2014

40 watt 29 watt Jan. 1, 2014

Sylvania announced their first 100-watt LED light in November:

http://www.slashgear.com/led-bulbs-get-brighter-future-with-100w-equivalent-13256759/

You can get them at Lowes for 50 bucks plus tax:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411150-3-78953_0__?productId=4137104&Ntt=led+light&Ns=p_product_price|1

75-watt bulbs are now under 40 bucks:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_395072-3-78913_0__?productId=3726803&Ntt=led+light&Ns=p_product_price|1

Home Depot does not have the Sylvania 100w bulbs, but they do have one by Phillips that is 5 bucks more expensive:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/QuickViewService?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&R=203675471&catEntryId=203675471

Now.....here is a comparison chart. LED lights last 41 times more than incandescent bulbs, over 6x longer than CF bulbs. They use 1/10 the power of an incandescent bulb, half that of a CFL bulb.

http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html

At the price they are now, I say it is a break even proposition. At the very least, you will only have to replace a bulb every 50,000 hours instead of every 1600 hours, meaning less time spent buying them as well (duh).

I am slowly going to start buying these. Probably gonna wait for another 6 months or so for prices to drop.

DONNIEP
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
My power company, Duke Energy, sent me 18 or 20 for free! I love the things.

Hardrock69
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow. Wish I could get some for free like that. I will check into it.

Hardrock69
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Five things you didn't know about LED lightbulbs

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20084337-54/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-led-lightbulbs/

LED bulbs are energy-efficient and designed to last for many years, but here are a few lesser-known features to consider when weighing a jump to LEDs.

by Martin LaMonica
July 28, 2011 6:36 AM PDT

If you've heard about residential LED lightbulbs, you probably know that they're energy-efficient, last a long time, and are pricier than other lightbulb technologies.

I've been using LED lights in my home for several months now, and overall the transition has been good. As you consider your lighting options, here a few things that you might not know about LEDs.

LEDs are cooler.
When you're running fans or an air conditioner this summer, having burning-hot incandescent bulbs just makes it harder to manage the heat. LEDs run much cooler than incandescent bulbs and significantly cooler than CFLs.

Online retailer EnergyCircle actually measured the difference and found that a halogen bulb, a type of incandescent bulb, ran at 327 degrees! A Cree LED downlight was measured at 107 degrees and a Philips Par38 CFL worked at 167 degrees.

That's not to say that heat isn't at all an issue. LED bulbs do get hot but the heat is dissipated by metal heat sinks that wick away the heat from the light source itself. Keeping them cool with heat sinks or even liquid cooling, as Switch Lighting is doing, is important to ensuring they last as long as advertised.

You get instant full light.
You get the full brightness of an LED bulb when you turn it on, which is an advantage over CFLs in a couple of ways. For starters, you don't need to wait for full light if you're running in and out of a room. But frequent cycling also degrades the life of CFLs, one of the reasons that CFLs in some cases don't last as long as expected.

I've become more conscious of this and put LEDs in places where lights are cycled on and off quickly. CFLs, meanwhile, are in light fixtures and lamps which typically stay on for extended periods. Consumer Reports found turning CFLs on and off in less than 15 minutes degraded their life.

LEDs don't attract bugs.
Pixi Lighting, which makes LEDs, lists "no bugs!" (that is, insects) as one of the reasons to use LEDs. But if you look at discussions online, it's not so clear-cut.

The stated reason that bugs don't fly toward LEDs is because bugs are attracted to ultraviolet light and at least some LEDs don't give off this type of light. But that's not universally true for all types of LEDs, according to people who have commented online. In one discussion, an employee from EnergyCircle said that most residential LED bulbs give off almost no UV light.

In an unscientific test last night at my house, I saw moths and mosquitoes fly right past my outdoor LED bulb; they were not attracted to the light. Consumer LED bulb maker Pharox advertises its bulbs as having no UV, so it's something worth checking when you're shopping around.

LEDs come in funny shapes.
Lighting manufacturers have tried to make LED bulbs as familiar-looking as possible, most importantly by having a screw-in connector. But there are limits to mimicking the Edison-style bulb.

"Snow cone" LEDs, where the top half is a bulb shape, best resemble incandescent bulbs but light is given off in only one direction. So you'll get more light from the top of a desk lamp, for example, than the bottom. CFLs or incandescents give off light in all directions.

The most recent bulbs to come to market address this light dispersal problem very well. I've been testing a Lighting Sciences Group 60-watt equivalent for the last week or so and it does indeed give off far more even light than the company's own snow cone-type bulbs.

DONNIEP
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow. Wish I could get some for free like that. I will check into it.

No joke - they sent me a post card telling me about the offer. I logged onto the site and registered and a case of them was delivered free of cost. They're all 18 watts - 75 watt equivalent. They came from Niagara Conservation Corp out of New Jersey. Their number is 800-292-7687. Don't know if they'll send you free ones but it's worth a look

Seshmeister
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Sounds like in Europe we are a couple of years ahead. For a while you would get the bulbs for next to nothing but they have gone up in price now but they last much longer so it probably evens out. Try and build up a stockpile now and it will save you some money.

The slightly irritating thing is that some of them take a few seconds to get up to brightness and also there isn't really anything as equivalently bright as an old style 100W bulb.

ELVIS
01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Illegal light bulbs...

Good ol' government in action...

Hardrock69
01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I just found out that LED lights not attracting bugs is an urban myth.

Details here:

http://www.energycircle.com/blog/2011/08/17/correction-led-lights-do-attract-bugs

ZahZoo
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Good to see you are catching on HR69...

You might notice telephones with cords have all but disappeared as well as televisions with Cathode-Ray-Tubes are becoming scarce...

But there's still hope for some old technology... walk into a music store and you'll find the most popular amplifiers still run on good old transformers, capacitors that can kill instantly and prehistoric vacuum tubes.

There's the old saying... "no need to reinvent the wheel"... of course after a 100 years or so you do have to wonder when something other than rubber and air will become obsolete..?

Hardrock69
01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
You silly fool. :hee:

ZahZoo
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
You silly fool. :hee:

Thanks... that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since the new year started!! ;)

Hardrock69
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
:lol:

Nickdfresh
01-07-2013, 07:10 PM

But there's still hope for some old technology... walk into a music store and you'll find the most popular amplifiers still run on good old transformers, capacitors that can kill instantly and prehistoric vacuum tubes.

There's the old saying... "no need to reinvent the wheel"... of course after a 100 years or so you do have to wonder when something other than rubber and air will become obsolete..?

I wonder who still makes a nice warm sounding stereo receiver with lots of balls anymore. I have a 20 year Onkyo that pretty much blew the newer, digital Yamaha I bought out of the water a few years back when it comes to music...

vh rides again
01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I wonder who still makes a nice warm sounding stereo receiver with lots of balls anymore. I have a 20 year Onkyo that pretty much blew the newer, digital Yamaha I bought out of the water a few years back when it comes to music...

Check harman kardon.

I got a avr 630 a few years back that sounds really good.

Has seperate transformers for each channel and weighs a friggin ton because of it.

I see all the old brand name receivers vintage on eBay all the time.

I got a bad ass pioneer turntable a year or so ago to listen to the old albums, what a difference in sound compared to cd.

Give it a shot.

Roth And Roll

Kristy
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Now I KNOW you are on drugs.

vh rides again
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Now I KNOW you are on drugs.

These digital amps and recievers are pooches these days.

They heat up quick and shut off.

I want to enjoy the smell of a hot transformer while getting my ears wrecked.

Roth And Roll

Kristy
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
My Yamaha does nothing of the sort. And it certainly kicks the shit out of any decrypted Onkyo pile of shit-ola

Nickdfresh
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
My Yamaha does nothing of the sort. And it certainly kicks the shit out of any decrypted Onkyo pile of shit-ola

Decrypted? Did it work at the NSA?

Um, no. While the old girl Onkyo (1993 maybe?) doesn't have the digital connections the modern setups have, the old school tube tech fucking would vibrate my walls on relatively low volumes. The analog connections are a severe pain in the ass. But for sheer power and overall sound quality of music, there was no comparison...

At a fraction of the price all things being equal, that receiver will destroy far more expensive digital setups on today's sets. Unfortunately, you can't get the full effect of a soundtrack from a DVD with it...

Hardrock69
01-07-2013, 11:01 PM
McIntosh.

Pure and simple.

http://i46.tinypic.com/309ujx1.jpg

gbranton
01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
"You get instant full light.

You get the full brightness of an LED bulb when you turn it on, which is an advantage over CFLs in a couple of ways."

Somebody is reaching their ass off here. Damn incandescents are just too fucking slow.

I wonder how much they get paid by the LED folks to dream this shit up?

Seshmeister
01-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Long-lasting - LED bulbs last up to 10 times as long as compact fluorescents, and far longer than typical incandescents.

Durable - since LEDs do not have a filament, they are not damaged under circumstances when a regular incandescent bulb would be broken. Because they are solid, LED bulbs hold up well to jarring and bumping.

Cool - these bulbs do not cause heat build-up; LEDs produce 3.4 btu's/hour, compared to 85 for incandescent bulbs. Common incandescent bulbs get hot and contribute to heat build-up in a room. LEDs prevent this heat build-up, thereby helping to reduce air conditioning costs in the home.

Mercury-free - no mercury is used in the manufacturing of LEDs.

More efficient - LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Cost-effective - although LEDs are initially expensive, the cost is recouped over time and in battery savings. LED bulb use was first adopted commercially, where maintenance and replacement costs are expensive. But the cost of new LED bulbs has gone down considerably in the last few years. and are continuing to go down. Today, there are many new LED light bulbs for use in the home, and the cost is becoming less of an issue.

jhale667
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
I like the new bulbs and am all for the technological advance, but they don't yet fit in every fixture...

ZahZoo
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
That's nothing a good hammer, crescent wrench and a little duct-tape won't fix...

Kristy
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
there was no comparison...

In other words, you're just cheap.

Hardrock69
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Bought a 75w bulb (Sylvania) yesterday for 40 bucks. Suckers are heavy. But it is brighter than a either of the other two types of bulbs rated for 75w.

Nickdfresh
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
In other words, you're just cheap.

Apparently you don't read so well. There are still amps constructed of tubes, IIRC. I just have to assemble the set up and find a place I won't scare the zombie fuckhead neighbors...

Or go to Marantz...

It ain't about cheap, honey buns, when I have an old Onkyo rated at about 70W per channel that blows everything away rated at 110W. They just don't build them like they used too...

Kristy
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Ah yes, doucheface, it's all about being cheap and your 20 year old pile of shit is cheap

LoungeMachine
01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Ah yes, doucheface, it's all about being cheap and my 40 year old pile of shit cunt is cheap.....need a date?

fixed

:gulp:

jhale667
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Don't you work at a guitar store? When has digital every sounded better than analog for music from a live or audiophile standpoint? You wanna hear a tube amp, or a transistor?

Recording digitally is a necessity these days, but that doesn't mean it has to be listened to (or played) that way...

:guitar:

Kristy
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Don't you work at a guitar store? When has digital every sounded better than analog for music from a live or audiophile standpoint? You wanna hear a tube amp, or a transistor?

Recording digitally is a necessity these days, but that doesn't mean it has to be listened to (or played) that way...

That's different and you know it, assbag.

There are some nice transistor amps that just as good on stage as your tube monsters. For example, I've heard a Fender Princeton Chorus (which is a transistor amp) played through a decent PA and tell me, what fucking difference does it god damn make? Plus, when you see a live show, isn't the mixing board "digital" and "transistor"? All this shit about "tube tone" is for pretentious failed musicians like yourself who believe a fancy-pancy amp makes them play better. It will never cover up the fact that your parents wasted thousands of dollars on guitar lessons for you.

Cheap is as cheap does and Nickdfreshturd is cheap.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Ah yes, doucheface, it's all about being cheap and your 20 year old pile of shit is cheap

Oooooh! I love it when you put on your dominatrix voice!

One's twenty, the other's five, and neither are set up at the moment as the iPod thing has made me lazy, but far from cheap. What's your rig again? It doesn't seem to matter as you seem to listen to lots of shit through it in order to complain on the internet about shit music you listen too. Fuckwit... :)

BTW, looking around, Yamaha A/V receivers seems to be pretty much overpriced shit...

Kristy
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Whatever, enjoy your Onkyo, douchefuck

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F77/3YJI/FT7PUNM1/F773YJIFT7PUNM1.LARGE.jpg

Hardrock69
01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Damn Krusty....what is that fucking thing in your avatar? :barf:

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM

...Plus, when you see a live show, isn't the mixing board "digital" and "transistor"? All this shit about "tube tone" is for pretentious failed musicians like yourself who believe a fancy-pancy amp makes them play better. It will never cover up the fact that your parents wasted thousands of dollars on guitar lessons for you.

The "mixing board" doesn't matter, it's the "power" and voltage driving the sound. Transistors are shit at this, though it sounds like some of the newer receivers might have mitigated the problem a bit. But of course, you keep ignoring that my 20-year old Onkyo rated at "70-watts per channel" kills anything rated over 100-watts per channel today. But I haven't run that receiver in years, but was thinking of setting up a separate system to play only a high end CD player while setting up a separate system of a "transistor" based receiver for movies and TV, which one has no choice to do when it comes to modern inputs....

How are my comments calling out modern, transistor based receivers as being weak-piss compared to the older tube driven ones "cheap?" Hell, when I get a bit of scratch I might be forking thousands just to build my own composite tube driven amp and tuner system over the conventional receiver - the latter being a much cheaper, more economical option. But unfortunately it's a more compromised one as they are more geared towards movie soundtracks and a whole host of certifications like THX and DTS, my little butt-hurt hipster chick...

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Mary Magdalene

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
The "mixing board" doesn't matter, it's the "power" and voltage driving the sound. Transistors are shit at this, though it sounds like some of the newer receivers might have mitigated the problem. But of course, you keep ignoring that my 20-year old Onkyo rated at "70-watts per channel" kills anything rated over 100-watts per channel today. But I haven't run that receiver in years, but was thinking of setting up a seperate system to play only a high end CD player while setting up a seperate system of a "transistor" based receiver for movies and TV, whic one has no choice to do when it comes to modern inputs....

How are my comments calling out modern, transistor based receivers as being weak-piss compared to the older tube driven ones "cheap?" Hell, when I get a bit of scratch I might be forking thousands just to build my own composite tube driven amp and tuner system over the conventional receiver - the latter being a much cheaper, more economical option. But unfortunately it's a more compromised one, my little butt-hurt hipster chick...

Oh geesh! Do you always have to form a self-righteous Wiki plagiarized opinion on everything? Sure sign of a mental illness.

Dude, you're just cheap.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Oh geesh! Do you always have to form a self-righteous Wiki plagiarized opinion on everything? Sure sign of a mental illness.

Dude, you're just cheap.

Wiki you dumb cunt? Um, no, I was doing this when you were figuring yourself while watching Blossom, having fantasies of blowing Joey and making him go "Whoa!" ...

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Mary Magdalene

To my Christ?

jhale667
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM

There are some nice transistor amps that just as good on stage as your tube monsters. For example, I've heard a Fender Princeton Chorus (which is a transistor amp) played through a decent PA and tell me, what fucking difference does it god damn make? Plus, when you see a live show, isn't the mixing board "digital" and "transistor"? All this shit about "tube tone" is for pretentious failed musicians like yourself who believe a fancy-pancy amp makes them play better. It will never cover up the fact that your parents wasted thousands of dollars on guitar lessons for you.

Wrong as usual. You really don't know jack shit about music, stereo equipment or guitars and amps, do you?

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
You fucking Wiki EVERYTHING, Nick. You sad transistor roid rage machismo fuck.

jhale667
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
...my little butt-hurt hipster chick...

:lmao:

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Wrong as usual. You really don't know jack shit about music, stereo equipment or guitars and amps, do you?

RIGHT asswind.

Now go Soundcloud your parent bought guitar lessons

Little Texan
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Damn Krusty....what is that fucking thing in your avatar? :barf:

I think it's a Meerkat, but I'm not sure.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aYSF9mP3Ffk/TUMNZb1P5YI/AAAAAAAAA_E/oY6wKoSze2I/s1600/meerkat-suricatasuricatta.jpg

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/9951179/How+to+spell+Heroin.jpg

jhale667
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
RIGHT asswind.

Now go Soundcloud your parent bought guitar lessons

I give lessons these days, dummy... and you are clearly in serious need of some. I can't help your tin ear, though. You're kinda fucked on that one. :biggrin:

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
You fucking Wiki EVERYTHING, Nick. You sad transistor roid rage machismo fuck.

It's funny when super angry hipster douchebags accuse others of "roidrage" Isn't almost time for your noon cutting?

I suggest slicing around your pantie-lines, where no one but your johns will see...

lesfunk
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I think it's a Meerkat, but I'm not sure.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aYSF9mP3Ffk/TUMNZb1P5YI/AAAAAAAAA_E/oY6wKoSze2I/s1600/meerkat-suricatasuricatta.jpg

Kinda looks like the antagonist from the "Grudge" film

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I give lessons these days, dummy... and you are clearly in serious need of some. I can't help your tin ear, though. You're kinda fucked on that one. :biggrin:

Like what? Scared Straight lessons on how not to be a failed musician?

Kristy
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
It's funny when super angry hipster douchebags accuse others of "roidrage" Isn't almost time for your noon cutting?

I suggest slicing around your pantie-lines, where no one but your johns will see...

Let's see what Nick Wiki'd today:

Hipster
Roidrage
Cutting
Johns
Noon
Funny
Angry
Super
Where
No
Suggest

Nickdfresh
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Let's see what Nick Wiki'd today:

Hipster
Roidrage
Cutting
Johns
Noon
Funny
Angry
Super
Where
No
Suggest

Why would I Wiki things that you brought up? You can add "masochist" to the list though... :)

jhale667
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Like what? Scared Straight lessons on how not to be a failed musician?

Yeah, you're right... there's nothing nearly as impressive as "semi-professional cum dumpster" on my resume... you win. :lol:

Hardrock69
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Ahh I see. Not only is she a piss-loving whore, Krusty is a junkie as well.

Figures. Junkies will do anything for a fix.

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Any amp, solid-state or tube can sound "good" given a player who knows the instrument well enough to adjust their playing attack to suit the instrument and amps capabilities. Pipe it through a decent PA and it can sound monstrous... Where PA's, power amps and consoles are concerned transistors are best especially for live applications where you need to push a lot of air.

There's a lot of non-tube digital emulation amps out there that sound amazing and damn close to the tube amps they mimic as well.

I don't subscribe to passing fancy of a lot these over-priced boutique tube amps... there's plenty of cork-sniffers that waste their time and money on em but I haven't heard many all that impressive beyond niche applications .

To me it all boils down to using the right tool for the job... if you are playing certain metal, 80's rock or even Hendrix style stuff a 100W Marshall with some decent cabinets does the trick... but have heard great players do the same with a Line 6 POD piped into a PA.

IMO though... for Old-School Failed™ Blues/Rock guys like me... nothin suits me better than my old 64 Fender Bassman or Fender Deluxe Reverb for that down home cookin...

jhale667
01-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Agree they can sound "good" but it's rare you hear of a GREAT solid-state tone.

For live guitar sounds particularly, higher-quality tube amps still smoke digital emulations. The majority of pros still insist on them (every one I've teched for certainly did). For recording purposes, digital is getting SUPER close (especially Head Case IF you crank the reference monitors), but tubes still react differently, and feel different back at the guitar. You don't "feel" as connected to a digital amp IME. A tube on the verge of meltdown actually becomes an integral part of your tone equation.

ELVIS
01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but tubes are overrated, and I'm a huge tube amp fan and I own over 10 tube amps...

But listen to Dave Mustane's tone...

Killer tube-like overdrive - all solid state...

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM

For live guitar sounds particularly, higher-quality tube amps still smoke digital emulations. The majority of pros still insist on them (every one I've teched for certainly did). For recording purposes, digital is getting SUPER close (especially Head Case IF you crank the reference monitors), but tubes still react differently, and feel different back at the guitar. You don't "feel" as connected to a digital amp IME. A tube on the verge of meltdown actually becomes an integral part of your tone equation.

That's why I quoted "good"... definitely didn't intend to imply great.

I agree wholeheartedly on the reactions and feel. With proper pick attack you can coax or pound certain sound characteristics out of a tube amp that just ain't there digitally no matter what you apply in the signal chain. Digital is consistent but less range in what it can do based on attack...

Of course that something of a trade secret amongst us Failed™ musicians... Most Washed Up™ ax slingers barely get it.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM

For live guitar sounds particularly, higher-quality tube amps still smoke digital emulations.

Lay off the drugs, asshole. Under a live stage setting it makes little difference. In fact, a lot of non-failed musicians forgo amps on stage anymore and plug directly into the board. So do shut up and go back to reaming your spinchter with a popsicle stick

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Lay off the drugs, asshole. Under a live stage setting it makes little difference.

Just out of curiosity.... what's the largest stage you've ever played live on, and in front of how many people?

Would like to compare you to us "failures"

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
To me it all boils down to using the right tool for the job... if you are playing certain metal, 80's rock or even Hendrix style stuff a 100W Marshall with some decent cabinets does the trick... but have heard great players do the same with a Line 6 POD piped into a PA.

Dude, the tube amp is going the way of the film camera. It's just not needed on stage anymore. You must be living in 1977 when Marshall stacks were needed to supplement the archaic PA systems of the day. Here in the present, within a live performance you'll see a lot of effects boards and racks but rarely an amp and if there is one on stage it's usually a Fender Pro or Twin one or two at most (switched for tones) but all that theatrical stacks are a relic of the past. Keith Richards uses what, two Twins on stage? That's it! That's all he needs. Now in a recording studio it is a different story where your average failed musician deludes themselves that by having a Marshall will somehow make them a better player. Hey, didn't Clapton only use a Pignose on amajority of his recordings?

jhale667
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
And who the fuck plugs "straight into the board"? You're CLUELESS...!

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Just out of curiosity.... what's the largest stage you've ever played live on, and in front of how many people?

Oh look! F A T boy is curious.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Geddy Lee (although with a pre-amp) Pat Metheny

You're a self reaming popsicle boy

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM

By the way, you're a F A T failure who is so beneath the other failures here.

Matt White
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow................the "dog-and-pony show" comes to GEAR STREET

"Tube Amps" are "going the way of the film camera"

QUICK!!! SELL ALL YOUR STOCK IN MARSHALL MESA BOGIE ETC ETC!!!!

Seriously...thats bunk

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh look! F A T boy is curious.

Just as I thought...

Never played a fucking gig in your life

Classic angry wannabe

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Here's the great Johnny Marr - now, don't be scared of him because

1. He's highly original

and

2. He's not a failed musician

Watch Johnny explain why you don't need to be a pretentious fuck with amps in the studio (0:50-1:04 will explain it) and how most "tones" is edited in the studio board. You.thick.fucks.

Now, here's Pat Metheny playing a cookin' slow blues/jazz live (fuck I love it when he plays shit like this as compared to all of your trailer trash metal dufuses) Notice something missing from the stage? Think he's missing out on "tone?" Go back to rim-fucking yourself, jhale!

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
"Tube Amps" are "going the way of the film camera"

I said "on stage" You.Thick.Fuck.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Just as I thought...

Classic angry wannabe

Oh look! F A T boy is trying to be knowledgeable.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Excuse me, "The Ho", but you do realize a lot of stage productions have the amps UNDER the stage, yes? Now I'm seriously starting to doubt your know-nothing ass even can pull off a re-string

Matt White
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Really...don't you have a Value Villege or Used Book store to haunt?!?

I'm really starting to miss GAR....this dolt makes him look like COPPERNICUS

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes, assbag, I realize that but Metheny has always played straight to board (or has for the past 20 years).

Nice try, self-reamer
http://thethriftycouple.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/popsicle-sticks.jpg

jhale667

:doh: True, but not like anyone wants that asshat back either.

Dude, I'm thinkin' we should just start dumping Krust and ELBOW posts on sight. Fuck this shitting up Gear St.

Kristy

Like you don't have a form for unemployment to fill out.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Dude, I'm thinkin' we should just start dumping Krust and ELBOW posts on sight. Fuck this shitting up Gear St.

Hey loser, we're not in the Gear Street forum.

Seriously, get help for your drug addiction/Alzheimers, okay?

Matt White
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Like you don't have a form for unemployment to fill out.

Says the guy working at BURGER KING..............

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3273/2963084107_3149fa7d61_z.jpg?zz=1

The schitck is SO lame it this point....................

why bother responding to this half-wit?

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
why bother responding to this half-wit?

Oh don't cry, Matt. We hate when you cry.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM

I guess that makes two of us, F A T boy.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Hey loser, we're not in the Gear Street forum.

Seriously, get help for your drug addiction/Alzheimers, okay?

My bad, but I'm still considering dumping your bullshit there, so do feel free to fuck off.
It's called "multi-tasking" (like when you check your watch as a client is pissing on you to see if their hour's up, but way more complicated) as I am actually at work. Something, much like music, guitars, amps, tubes... that you clearly know little to nothing about.

Matt White
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Really....the LAMEST TROLL I've seen in here in years......

And Johnny Marr SUCKS......which is why he's selling shitty $1,700 Jaguars to neandertals I pay to tweak my guitars!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The Smiths??? G-AY doesn't even come close to covering that topic!!!

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
My bad, but I'm still considering dumping your bullshit there, so do feel free to fuck off.
It's called "multi-tasking" (like when you check your watch as a client is pissing on you to see if their hour's up, but way more complicated) as I am actually at work. Something, much like music, guitars, amps, tubes... that you clearly know little to nothing about.

Oh go cry your fucking river elsewhere, asshole. Big fucking cry baby like you can never be wrong. No wonder why you are such a failure in life.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
And Johnny Marr SUCKS......which is why he's selling shitty $1,700 Jaguars to neandertals I pay tweak my guitars!!!

More influential than you'll ever be. Nice try, homo.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess that makes two of us, F A T boy.

I've played an avg of 20-30 gigs a year, for the last 25 years.

Nice try, Gunt.

And this is NON.....where I do Mod, and have no problem dumping your horseshit.

Matt White
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
More influential than you'll ever be. Nice try, homo.

Emmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....which is exponentially more than you, ankle-bender!

Now really....go blow the grime out of that old Gorilla amp your using & stop butchering "Big Mouth Strikes Again"!

Kristy
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM

I've played an avg of 20-30 gigs a year, for the last 25 years.

Nice try, Gunt.

And this is NON.....where I do Mod, and have no problem dumping your horseshit.

Trailer parks, parent's basements and Dairy Queen parking lots don't count.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Trailer parks, parent's basements and Dairy Queen parking lots don't count.

Listing where you troll for Johns doesn't count.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Now you're just clutching, F A T boy.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Do festival gigs for a couple of thousand count, gunt? Cause betting you've never done anything like that... so you can STFU any time.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh go cry your fucking river elsewhere, asshole. Big fucking cry baby like you can never be wrong. No wonder why you are such a failure in life.

You're so CUTE when you're projecting....

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
You're so CUTE when you're projecting....

Her entire shtick is one big projection.

Never gigged, never recorded, never written a thing.....but critiques everything.

Typical frustrated wannabe.

The fact she has such disdain for this place and everyone in it, but can't stand to tear herself away is hilarious.

Face it dude.... We're her only friends in the world :lmao:

jhale667
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Her entire shtick is one big projection.

Never gigged, never recorded, never written a thing.....but critiques everything.

Typical frustrated wannabe.

The fact she has such disdain for this place and everyone in it, but can't stand to tear herself away is hilarious.

Face it dude.... We're her only friends in the world :lmao:

:lol:

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
We all love you, Kristy !!!

We're here for you !!!

ELVIS
01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Feeling bad for yourself, again ??

ELVIS
01-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Do festival gigs for a couple of thousand count, gunt? Cause betting you've never done anything like that... so you can STFU any time.

Is that your Spinal Tap response ??

jhale667
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Is that your Spinal Tap response ??

Nope. However -

You've got this much talent.

That one was. And recall, I know because I've heard you. :biggrin:

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
....how most "tones" is edited in the studio board. You.thick.fucks.

Oh? Explain to us all, with your extensive experience, how "most tones is edited in the studio board".

.......Pat Metheny

Wow...you really are a brain-dead ho......

Pat Metheny uses Crest and Ashly amps.

Idiot.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
This is ridiculous.

I start a fucking thread about LIGHT BULBS for chrissakes, and the troll (who has a vaccuum skull) derails it as well.

This has got to stop.

envy_me
01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I heard there is quicksilver in these new light bulbs...

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM

There was lead in the paint chips Kristy ate as a child...

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Dude, the tube amp is going the way of the film camera. It's just not needed on stage anymore. You must be living in 1977 when Marshall stacks were needed to supplement the archaic PA systems of the day. Here in the present, within a live performance you'll see a lot of effects boards and racks but rarely an amp and if there is one on stage it's usually a Fender Pro or Twin one or two at most (switched for tones) but all that theatrical stacks are a relic of the past. Keith Richards uses what, two Twins on stage? That's it! That's all he needs. Now in a recording studio it is a different story where your average failed musician deludes themselves that by having a Marshall will somehow make them a better player. Hey, didn't Clapton only use a Pignose on amajority of his recordings?

First off we were discussing tone specifically not dissecting appropriate applications within a live performance environment... nor drifting off into studio recording methodologies... This is a very wide amount of subject matter.

On tone... No, I don't see the tube amp getting sunset anytime in our near future. In home theater, TV's, etc... Yes, tube technology is pretty much gone except for those still hanging onto certain audiophile desires.

But in guitar applications in most modern genres... the tube amp is still king. The wave signal from analog circuits through vacuum tubes combined with a traditional electric guitar is still the baseline for producing a superior sound and especially tone that is most pleasing to the human ear. Everything else was engineered, designed and built to emulate that tube sound, saturation, distortion and harmonics. There's a lot that comes close... but nothing does it better than the original.

In live applications... sure you can pre-amp and signal route through rack effects or go direct. It works for some and especially well for bass but rarely for guitar unless you are sticking to just sparkly clean or balls on distorted. Forget the middle ground...

Then there's consideration of venue size... small clubs... the smaller the amp/speaker cabinets the better... works fine for some country, some blues, jazz and rock... The key is having a very good tone to start with... forget headroom. In mid-range venues rarely do you need a full stack, at best a half stack or minimum a good single or dual 12" but if you are play heavy rock/metal type stuff you aren't going to shit for tone out of a 10" speaker. You can still get by with a 25-50 watt amp... 100w cranked is overkill and an engineer's nightmare to find a balanced mix... Been there hundred times too many...

Now up at a top tier say like Eddie's rig... you got a single 5150 III, some switched effects, and then routed through solid state power amps to either 2 or 3 4x12 cabinets with the signal routing going dry, wet & dry/wet mixed. So in that case you got source tone coming from the tube amp and signal boosted to the cabinets with solid state power amps... then mic'ed to 2-3 channels and mixed on the mains... plus also that signal is routed back to the stage to another console and solid state power amps driving the on-stage monitors.

I could go into studio applications... but hell there's 5 threads worth of Gear street material already getting kicked around here.

BTW... I've 20+ years of experience doing live & studio sound and even longer performing. My biggest stage was early in my career... 36,000+ at Spring Fair Festival in Santa Cruz, Ca I was 19... Opened for Edgar Winter Group.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
failure

and ghey to boot.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Ahh....quicksilver....you mean Mercury....yes, there is in the CFL lights. But not in LED lights. LED stands for "Light Emitting Diode". Basically an LED light is just a solid-state light. No heat is given off. Nothing can be "broken" in them. Though of course a hammer could crush them, lol.

This is why LED lights are going to be so prevalent that CFL bulbs are going to be history within a few years.

Nickdfresh
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Good job Wiki'ing all that...

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Friend of mine was Monitor God on AC/DC's "Who Made Who" tour in about 1986 or so. He filled me in on Angus's preference.

Though Angus had Marshall stacks onstage, his guitar sound was coming from a 2 X 12 JCM800 laying flat on it's back on the venue floor UNDER the stage with a mic hanging over it.

That is commonplace.

Cabs just for show.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2nhi1eh.jpg

Funny....those don't look like transistor amps to me. :hee:

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh? Explain to us all, with your extensive experience, how "most tones is edited in the studio board".

Wow...you really are a brain-dead ho......

Pat Metheny uses Crest and Ashly amps.

Idiot.

He goes directly into the board you Googling fuck.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Good job Wiki'ing all that...

Yeah, I thought, what would Nick do and didn't

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
What a shame all this knowledge and talent is wasted on a guitar stringing hooker who hangs out on a message board 24/7

envy_me
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Ahh....quicksilver....you mean Mercury....yes, there is in the CFL lights. But not in LED lights. LED stands for "Light Emitting Diode". Basically an LED light is just a solid-state light. No heat is given off. Nothing can be "broken" in them. Though of course a hammer could crush them, lol.

This is why LED lights are going to be so prevalent that CFL bulbs are going to be history within a few years.

God, where were you 6 months ago, we had major light problems in the shop. Do you know anything about electricity? I was considering chaniging our light outside with power on with those rubber dishing gloves. But my boss told me no, since there was water in there. Rubber doesn't lead electricity, but still.. You can get far with Google :D

jhale667
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
What a shame all this knowledge and talent is wasted on a guitar stringing hooker who hangs out on a message board 24/7

Define "failure". :biggrin:

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Dude, the tube amp is going the way of the film camera. It's just not needed on stage anymore.

Well golly, since "onstage" is the only place an amp is used, I guess that would stand to reason.....not.

So much for the film camera analogy.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Then there's consideration of venue size... small clubs... the smaller the amp/speaker cabinets the better... works fine for some country, some blues, jazz and rock... The key is having a very good tone to start with... forget headroom. In mid-range venues rarely do you need a full stack, at best a half stack or minimum a good single or dual 12" but if you are play heavy rock/metal type stuff you aren't going to shit for tone out of a 10" speaker. You can still get by with a 25-50 watt amp... 100w cranked is overkill and an engineer's nightmare to find a balanced mix... Been there hundred times too many...

Ever been to a show at Red Rocks? the sound there is incredible! And though bands may differ in terms of equipment I've seen acts where a small fender reverb amp sounds like it was a Marshal stack. The technology for PA systems (in higher venues) has changed so much that you need people with PH'd's to do sound proper rather than to simply play loud. When I saw Rush there in 2004 Geddy had no amp on stage - just a little pre-amp he used and his bass lines were clean and even in the mix; I mean you could everything properly channeled from Neil's cymbals to Alex's guitar in fact the sounded better live there than on any CD.

Now granted certain players are going to use certain equipment on stage like Eddie, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson but I highly doubt they carry on stage the luggage they used other than for theatrics. I for one would love to see Eddie play a place like Red Rocks and told half the crap he uses on stage wouldn't be needed. Even Jimmy Plagiarist uses what, two Fender Pro's on stage anymore?

jhale667
01-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Then why does he need a Digitech Preamp and a Crown Power Amp? Looks? WRONG as usual...

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
And why do you need to Google?

At least Nick tries.

DONNIEP
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
CFLs take longer to reach full brightness when they're cold. I don't recommend them for outdoor use.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
When I saw Rush there in 2004 Geddy had no amp on stage -

How would you know? Because you couldn't see an amp?

The aesthetics of the modern stage show has changed drastically for alot of bands. Hence the lack of "wall of stacks" except on some metal tours.

Just because you can't see something, even from your front row center seats your fat married bankers give you, doesn't mean there isn't stage amplification being used.

Yes, you're right some performers don't use stage amps, but saying they don't BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THEM is ridiculous. Much like your makeup job.

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
This is ridiculous.

I start a fucking thread about LIGHT BULBS for chrissakes, and the troll (who has a vaccuum skull) derails it as well.

This has got to stop.

Sorry man... Get me going on music gear some days... I'm like Elvis at a Tea-Party-Prepper Bible Revival Jubilee hangin around the punch bowl shootin my mouth off!!! ;)

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Bitch, here in Gnashville, at least 90% of musicians playing, whether in clubs, studios or concert stages, use tube amps.

You do not know what the fuck you are talking about, FishKunt.

But that is irrelevant. Your purpose is not to know anything about what you rave about.

You are a fucking troll, and your sole purpose is to derail threads.

Isn't it about time for your first client? Better get your rubber sheets ready for the Golden Showers.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 05:37 PM

You need to do some googling, ignorant bitch.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 05:37 PM
And why do you need to Google?

At least Nick tries.

Oh fuck off, strumpet.
Yeah, not being a Metheny fan, don't know his rig off the top of my head like I do some people's. One thing's for certain, the rest of the guys here and I have forgotten more about music, sound and gear than you will ever know. Played more gigs, too.

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
CFLs take longer to reach full brightness when they're cold. I don't recommend them for outdoor use.

Newer ones are much better than those just a few years ago... But the spot-light types are the worst. Got some in recessed ceiling fixtures in our main hallway that are about 4-5 years old and they take almost 2-3 minutes to get up to speed.

I've tried the dim-able CFL's but found them to be too weak in output... so went back to incandescent.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Played more gigs, too.

Ace has played more gigs than her....

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Bitch, here in Gnashville, at least 90% of musicians playing, whether in clubs, studios or concert stages, use tube amps.

Listen carefully, you stupid F A T fuck. I never said that. What I said was the need for stacks on stage is pretty much a thing of the past.

Now go back to sucking Sammy dick and shut the fuck up.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh fuck off, strumpet.
Yeah, not being a Metheny fan, don't know his rig off the top of my head like I do some people's. One thing's for certain, the rest of the guys here and I have forgotten more about music, sound and gear than you will ever know. Played more gigs, too.

Spoken like a true failed musician.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
You need to do some googling, ignorant bitch.

I have, you retarded fuck.

Nickdfresh
01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I thought, what would Nick do and didn't

Trying not to be a complete asshole 24/7?

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Are you "projecting" Nick?

Nickdfresh
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
You're cuntfused...

Kristy
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
So that's a yes.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Spoken like a true failed musician.

Let's review:

HOW many gigs have you played?

How many bands have you toured with and/or worked for?

Which musician that you listened to and admire has complimented YOUR playing?

What manufacturer has reached out to you to get your help to ensure their product works in a specific DAW? Or asked you to review their products?

What manufacturer has posted multiple pictures of YOUR guitar builds?

How many pieces have you written that were published?

What have you posted that anyone's care to listen to once, much less a couple of hundred times?

How many gear forums do you mod?

How many "rock stars" pick up when YOU call?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :biggrin:

And let's see, what's your witty retort gonna be to this - "Yeah, but how many people have paid YOU to let them piss on you?"

PA-thetic. :lmao:

DONNIEP
01-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Newer ones are much better than those just a few years ago... But the spot-light types are the worst. Got some in recessed ceiling fixtures in our main hallway that are about 4-5 years old and they take almost 2-3 minutes to get up to speed.

I've tried the dim-able CFL's but found them to be too weak in output... so went back to incandescent.

Apparently there are outdoor specific CFLs. Different encasing and such to improve cold weather performance. Fascinating.

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Ever been to a show at Red Rocks? the sound there is incredible! And though bands may differ in terms of equipment I've seen acts where a small fender reverb amp sounds like it was a Marshal stack. The technology for PA systems (in higher venues) has changed so much that you need people with PH'd's to do sound proper rather than to simply play loud. When I saw Rush there in 2004 Geddy had no amp on stage - just a little pre-amp he used and his bass lines were clean and even in the mix; I mean you could everything properly channeled from Neil's cymbals to Alex's guitar in fact the sounded better live there than on any CD.

Now granted certain players are going to use certain equipment on stage like Eddie, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson but I highly doubt they carry on stage the luggage they used other than for theatrics. I for one would love to see Eddie play a place like Red Rocks and told half the crap he uses on stage wouldn't be needed. Even Jimmy Plagiarist uses what, two Fender Pro's on stage anymore?

Yes, Been to Red Rocks a bunch of times. Lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years in the late 80's. That place is one of the greatest natural amphitheaters in the world. Everything from string quartettes, orchestras to death metal sounds great here!! That's known as a sound engineers heaven... for live outdoor venues.

You are correct... live sound PA technology has brought a huge change in the required amp power on stage. But you also have to realize that has been the case for a long time. VH and certain rock/metal outfits only sport the wall of amps look for show. It's costs a lot of money haul around prop cabinets and heads... so more groups are wising up.

PA's for arena/coliseum venues have improved a lot as well due to digital technology. Some of the top touring production units use monitoring mics and sound analytic software that now drive computers to adjust specific delays to certain frequencies coming from the main speakers. Different sound frequencies travel faster than others... By using digital delays combined with these new rounded directional speaker arrays they can balance it out to where the bass and high frequencies reach your ears at the correct time to you eliminate some of the Doppler effect in large arenas...

Matt White
01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
And the idea that you don't "need stacks" is old news........

Tom Scholtz did away with that 2 decades ago......................................

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Let's review:

HOW many gigs have you played?

How many bands have you toured with and/or worked for?

Which musician that you listened to and admire has complimented YOUR playing?

What manufacturer has reached out to you to get your help to ensure their product works in a specific DAW? Or asked you to review their products?

What manufacturer has posted multiple pictures of YOUR guitar builds?

How many pieces have you written that were published?

What have you posted that anyone's care to listen to once, much less a couple of hundred times?

How many gear forums do you mod?

How many "rock stars" pick up when YOU call?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :biggrin:

And let's see, what's your witty retort gonna be to this - "Yeah, but how many people have paid YOU to let them piss on you?"

PA-thetic. :lmao:

This is the shit I hear every weekend from every F A T failed musican loser that walks in the door.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Tom Scholtz did away with that 2 decades ago......................................

Thank you, fuckwit.

vandeleur
01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Didnt some one post some pics of false fronts you put round your amp to look like you were using a stack .. They were pretty funny :D

Matt White
01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Thank you, fuckwit.

You got it, you Misanthropic Miscreant.

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
We should rename this HardRock69's Light Bulb Social Ho-Down Thread...

It's like going to a party... on one couch the engineering geeks are talking light bulb technology. Over in the corner some couple is fighting... Out on the back patio a bunch of musician gear heads are pontificating and debating gear... Several social types keep wandering around not sure who to engage or leave... Then there's some crazy woman with a lampshade on her head stirring controversy throughout... I think I've been here before...

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM

LOL well yeah... but come on... Tom Scholtz was just his special little box all along.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Yes, Been to Red Rocks a bunch of times. Lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years in the late 80's. That place is one of the greatest natural amphitheaters in the world. Everything from string quartettes, orchestras to death metal sounds great here!! That's known as a sound engineers heaven... for live outdoor venues.

It's one of the best I've ever heard. It's more mathematical now if anything.

You are correct... live sound PA technology has brought a huge change in the required amp power on stage. But you also have to realize that has been the case for a long time. VH and certain rock/metal outfits only sport the wall of amps look for show. It's costs a lot of money haul around prop cabinets and heads... so more groups are wising up.

Exactly! This is why you don't huge stacks on stage anymore - unless they are some crappy failed musician hair act. Even that dismal place where I work every weekend I see failed musician after failed musician come in wanting to trade or sell their Marshall, HiWatt or whatever huge amp not because they're not any good but simply because they no longer need them - they are no longer practical.

PA's for arena/coliseum venues have improved a lot as well due to digital technology. Some of the top touring production units use monitoring mics and sound analytic software that now drive computers to adjust specific delays to certain frequencies coming from the main speakers. Different sound frequencies travel faster than others... By using digital delays combined with these new rounded directional speaker arrays they can balance it out to where the bass and high frequencies reach your ears at the correct time to you eliminate some of the Doppler effect in large arenas...

Yes, computer algorithms that constantly adjust sound, reverb, delay - another reason why stacks are so archaic and why you really can't tell a tube amp form a solid state one.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
You got it, you Misanthropic Miscreant.

But you can still go fuck yourself with a snow plow.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM

It's like going to a party... on one couch the engineering geeks are talking light bulb technology. Over in the corner some couple is fighting... Out on the back patio a bunch of musician gear heads are pontificating and debating gear... Several social types keep wandering around not sure who to engage or leave... Then there's some crazy woman with a lampshade on her head stirring controversy throughout... I think I've been here before...

and a few of us out behind the garage smokin'...:smoke2:

envy_me
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Matt White
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
But you can still go fuck yourself with a snow plow.

Says the baloney eating fuckwit..................put a sock in it Clarence!

ZahZoo
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
It's one of the best I've ever heard. It's more mathematical now if anything.

Exactly! This is why you don't huge stacks on stage anymore - unless they are some crappy failed musician hair act. Even that dismal place where I work every weekend I see failed musician after failed musician come in wanting to trade or sell their Marshall, HiWatt or whatever huge amp not because they're not any good but simply because they no longer need them - they are no longer practical.

Yes, computer algorithms that constantly adjust sound, reverb, delay - another reason why stacks are so archaic and why you really can't tell a tube amp form a solid state one.

Well there's a lot of people who dream big or just have to have something big thinking it's gonna make them sound like their idols... but they never invested in their playing ability so it ends up a really poor investment.

I did a little challenge about 5 years ago debating tube -vs- solid state on the Plexi-Palace board. I had picked up a Marshall AVT-50 off ebay for $250 for my son. One of the tube-head cork-sniffers suggested changing the Chinese made 12AX7 pre-amp tube in the Marshall and sold me a 1942 dated Knight Mullard 12AX7 for $10 and thru in a 1945 Knight Mullard 12AT7 for free... I figured given it's a hybrid that's mostly solid-state changing the sole pre-amp tube wouldn't do much. Couldn't be more wrong... it went from a mediocre semi-crunchy-buzzy thing to a warm, smooth solid little work horse both clean and driven.

My son lost interest... so I kept it as a practice or small gig amp. To this day I have at least 5 buddies who want that amp bad... one guy asks me at least every 3-4 months if I'm ready to sell it. Loaned it once for a couple of weeks and damn near had to fight the guy to get it back and he offered me $800 to buy it.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Well there's a lot of people who dream big or just have to have something big thinking it's gonna make them sound like their idols... but they never invested in their playing ability so it ends up a really poor investment.

You just described 98% of the people on here.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Says the baloney eating fuckwit..................put a sock in it Clarence!

Rice cakes and heroin for me.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Sorry man... Get me going on music gear some days... I'm like Elvis at a Tea-Party-Prepper Bible Revival Jubilee hangin around the punch bowl shootin my mouth off!!! ;)

No worries man. Unlike the troll, you are sensible, and a worthy member of the Mighty Roth Army! :thumb:

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey peeps. Let's abandon this thread. The troll has got what she wanted....a bunch of arguments that go nowhere.

Leave her to talk to her fishkunt.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Didnt some one post some pics of false fronts you put round your amp to look like you were using a stack .. They were pretty funny :D

Yeah, that was me trying to help out Jerksmear's gear-challenged Kiss trib's stage production. :biggrin: